Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467440 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
That part was pretty good... but it would have been better if it wasn't shown in the trailer. I had already knew it was coming. Took away from it a little bit for me.

Your fault when you watch the trailer before the movie ;)
I usually avoid it because trailers usually set the wrong expectations for a movie.
On the other hand, trailers aren't essential extras for me like they are for you.
I have no problem if they are excluded.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
The trailer isn't on the DVD.  :voodoo: But I seen the trailer long before watching the DVD. It was played all over the place when the movie first went to the theater. And then played all over the place again when released on DVD. Over those two times I probably seen the trailer 100 times on TV alone.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
The trailer isn't on the DVD.  :voodoo: But I seen the trailer long before watching the DVD. It was played all over the place when the movie first went to the theater. And then played all over the place again when released on DVD. Over those two times I probably seen the trailer 100 times on TV alone.

Ah. This cannot happen to me. I don't watch TV  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
It is seldom my TV isn't on... even if it is only for background noise. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
Yes... even someone that don't like music can get a song stuck in his head... and I keep hearing "Scotty Doesn't Know" over and over in my head. As bad as that is for everyone... think how bad it is for someone that don't like music!  :stars:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
I like that song. I even got it as mp3.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
     What Happens in Vegas (2008/United States)

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Tom Vaughan
Writing:Dana Fox (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Sexual and Crude Content, and Language, Including a Drug Reference
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Cameron Diaz as Joy McNally
Ashton Kutcher as Jack Fuller
Rob Corddry as Hater
Lake Bell as Tipper
Jason Sudeikis as Mason
Treat Williams as Jack Fuller Sr.

Plot:
After the wildest party night of their lives, two mismatched strangers, Jack (Ashton Kutcher) and Joy (Cameron Diaz), wake up in Vegas to discover they not only got Lucky - they got married! The road to annulment takes a hilarious turn after Jack wins a three-million-dolar jackpot while playing Joy's quarter and a no-nonsense judge (Dennis Miller) sentences them to six months "hard marriage." What follows is an all-out war of the sexes as Jack and Joy go to outrageous lengths to try and cheat each other out of the money. But in the end, they may learn that when you gamble on love, you just might win, against all odds!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I never really cared much for Ashton Kutcher... but after watching him for 2 seasons on That '70s Show he has grown on me a bit. Still not enough to call myself a fan, but I no longer kringe when I see him on the screen. I am actually surprised how much I enjoyed this one. I mean it looked like something I would like from the trailer... but I really enjoyed this one. There was several laugh out loud moments in it for me. I liked the storyline... even if it isn't all that original. I liked the characters as well. It is definitely a good way to spend an hour and a half. Give it a chance if you haven't yet.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
I also enjoyed What Happens in Vegas for what it was but thought that the pairing of Rob Cordry and Lake Bell were far more entertaining than Diaz and Kutcher. Loved Cordry at the end when he realises
(click to show/hide)
:laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
     Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby: Widescreen: Unrated and Uncut (2006/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Adam McKay
Writing:Will Ferrell (Writer), Adam McKay (Writer)
Length:121 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Gary Cole as Reese Bobby
Jane Lynch as Lucy Bobby
Jason Davis as Waffle House Manager
Lorrie Bess Crumley as Schoolteacher
Luke Bigham as 10-Year-Old Ricky
Austin Crimm as 10-Year-Old Cal

Plot:
The fastest man on four wheels, Ricky Bobby (WILL FARRELL) is one of the greatest drivers in NASCAR history. A big, hairy American winning machine, Ricky has everything a dimwitted daredevil could want: a luxurious mansion, a smokin' hot wife (LESLIE BIBB) and all the fast food he can eat. But Ricky's turbo-charged lifestyle hits an unexpected speed bump when he's bested by flamboyant Euro-idiot Jean Girard (SACHA BARON COHEN, TV's "Da Ali G Show") and reduced to a fear-ridden wreck. Losing his wife and job to best bud and fellow fool, Cal Naughton, Jr. (JOHN C. REILLY), Ricky must kick some serious asphalt if he's to get his career back on the track, beat Girard and reclaim his fame and fortune. 'Cause as Ricky Bobby always says, IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
A friend of the family been bugging me to watch this movie every since he found out that I got it. It is one of his favorite movies. He told me it is just plain hilarious... yes in a stupid sort of way... but hilarious all the same. Today I finally got tired of being asked about it so I popped it in. Now maybe he had my expectations up too high... but I didn't care for this one as much as he did. Sure it is a fun comedy in that stupid sort of way.... but it is not one I would call hilarious. Sure there was a few scenes I caught myself literally laughing out loud... but not all that many. But I did find it to be a fun movie over all. Maybe a little long for they type of movie it is. But it is one I found to be worth watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 04, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
     Fright Night (2011/United States)

Director:Craig Gillespie
Writing:Marti Noxon (Screenwriter), Tom Holland (Story By), Tom Holland (Original Material By)
Length:106 min.
Rating:Rated R : Bloody Horror Violence, and Language Including Some Sexual References
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Anton Yelchin as Charley Brewster
Colin Farrell (1976) as Jerry
Toni Collette as Jane Brewster
David Tennant as Peter Vincent
Imogen Poots as Amy
Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Ed

Plot:
Meet the sexy new neighbor, Jerry Dandrige (Colin Farrell). He's dangerously charming – and utterly lethal. That's because he just happens to be a vampire, and out for blood...buckets of it. After high school senior Charley Bewster (Anton Yelchin) makes the connection between Jerry's suspicious activity and a steadily rising body count, he vows to end the reign of terror next door. But he can't do it alone. His only hope is Las Vegas magician/vampire-slayer Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Together, this unlikely duo set out to end Jerry's evil rampage. But Jerry is ruthless, relentless killer, and he's not going down without a fight. Get set to sink your teeth into this thrilling re-vamp of the terrifying horror classic. Featuring a star-studded cast and crawling with bonus, Fright Night in spectacular 3D will captivate you from the very first bite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This is one my brother rented from Netflix and I wanted to watch before sending it back. The original Fright Night has always been one of my favorite vampire movies. And as most of you already know... I love my vampire movies. And I did enjoy this one... but I definitely prefer the original. This one changed a lot of things compared to the original... but unfortunately some of the things they changed is things I really liked about the original. But then other things they changed was pretty cool. One of the things I really didn't care for is that they made the Peter Vincent character to be a Criss Angel wannabe. Which put me off a bit at first... but then he grew on me within the last 20min of the movie. Over-all I would say it is worth seeing... and I would like to eventually add it to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2012, 03:12:47 AM »
I really liked the new Fright Night..and I liked this version of Peter Vincent.  He was a bit...well....  he was different, but I liked him.  I loved David Tennant in the part.  I'm a bit partial to him now after seeing Doctor Who.  Tennant is the main reason I went to see the movie in the theater.  I also liked that Jerry is a proper, scary, will rip your throat out vampire instead of a sparkly, angst ridden forever teenager vampire.

I definitely will get this one..I just haven't yet.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
Definitely agree with you on what you said about Jerry.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »
     Ed Wood: Special Edition (1994/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Touchstone Home Entertainment
Director:Tim Burton
Writing:Scott Alexander (Writer), Larry Karaszewski (Writer), Rudolph Grey (Original Material By)
Length:126 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Strong Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Johnny Depp as Ed Wood
Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi
Sarah Jessica Parker as Dolores Fuller
Patricia Arquette as Kathy O'Hara
Jeffrey Jones as Criswell
G. D. Spradlin as Reverend Lemon

Plot:
From Tim Burton, acclaimed director of Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands and Batman, and producer of The Nightmare Before Christmas, comes the hilarious, true-life story of the wackiest filmmaker in Hollywood history – Ed Wood! Johnny Depp (Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl, Chocolat, Edward Scissorhands) stars as the high-spirited movieman who refuses to let unfinished scenes, terrible reviews or hostile studio executives derail his big-screen dreams. With an oddball collection of showbiz misfits, Ed takes the art of bad moviemaking to an all-time low!
The all-star cast features funnyman Bill Murray (Lost In Translation, The Royal Tenenbaums), sexy Sarah Jessica Parker (TV's Sex And The City), beautiful Patricia Arquette (Stigmata, Little Nicky) and an Academy Award®-winning* performance by Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi! Hailed by critics everywhere, this touching comedy hit is sure to entertain everyone!

*1994, Best Supporting Actor.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I am basically familiar with Ed Wood by reputation only. I only have one of his movies in my collection. That being Plan 9 from Outer Space. Despite the little I know of him... or maybe because of the little I know of him... I was looking forward to checking out this movie. A nice coincidence here... I been watching episodes of Medium and this movie also has Patricia Arquette in it. I really didn't know what to expect going into this movie. Whether it would be something I like or not. I ended up finding it oddly captivating. I found that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I normally shy away from anything that is about 2hrs or more in length. As I really need to be in the mood to be able to sit still that long. But in the case of Ed Wood the 2+ hours seemed to fly by! I was actually surprised when it was over already.

The DVD itself is nicely done as well. Lots of fun extras here. And I must admit... I got a kick out of the animated menus they used for this one. All in all a very nice release of a fun movie I wasn't sure if I would like or not. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
     Bug: Special Edition (2006/United States)

Lions Gate Entertainment
Director:William Friedkin
Writing:Tracy Letts (Screenwriter), Tracy Letts (Original Material By)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Strong Violence, Sexuality, Nudity, Language and Drug Use
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Ashley Judd as Agnes White
Michael Shannon (1974) as Peter Evans
Harry Connick, Jr. as Jerry Goss
Lynn Collins as R.C.
Brian F. O'Byrne as Dr. Sweet
Neil Bergeron as Man In Grocery Store

Plot:
A lonely waitress with a tragic past, Agnes rooms in a run-down motel, living in fear of her abusive ex-husband. But when she begins a romance with Peter, an eccentric drifter, she starts to feel hopeful again - until the first bugs arrive...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This movie was given to me one year ago this month. After watching this one I must admit that I have mixed feelings. I found it to be an interesting concept, but ay the same time... it wasn't something very entertaining to watch. Because of this I don't think it will have all that much re-watch value. It is a type of movie that while I watched it I wasn't all that impressed with it. But afterwards the more I thought on it the stronger the story is. But even with that said, it isn't a very impressive movie. I found it to be a pretty average psychological thriller... borderline horror movie (the trailer calls it a horror). I could see myself watching this movie again at some time... but not anytime soon... and definitely not that often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
     Fantastic Four (1994/United States)

Director:Oley Sassone
Writing:Craig J. Nevius (Screenwriter), Kevin Rock (Screenwriter), Stan Lee (1922) (Original Characters By), Jack Kirby (Original Characters By)
Length:90 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Alex Hyde-White as Dr. Reed Richards
Jay Underwood as Johnny Storm
Rebecca Staab as Susan Storm
Michael Bailey Smith as Ben Grimm
Ian Trigger as Jeweler
Joseph Culp as Doctor Doom

Plot:
When an experimental space voyage goes awry, four people are forever changed by cosmic rays: Reed Richards, inventor and leader of the group gains the ability to stretch his body and takes the name Mr. Fantastic. His girlfriend, Sue Storm, gains the ability to turn invisible and create force fields becoming The Invisible Girl. Her little brother, Johnny Storm, becomes The Human Torch with the ability to control fire, including covering his own body with flame. The pilot Ben Grimm is turned into the super-strong, super-tough Thing. Together they become a team of super-heroes and use their unique powers to foil the evil plans of villains.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie a friend of mine gave me. I believe this is a rather rare... previously unreleased... movie from the '90s. I have heard about this movie for years. The huge majority of what I heard wasn't very good. But of course I always wanted to see for myself. I admit... it leaves quite a bit to be desired. But I did enjoy it for what it is... a fun rarity in film. I don't know how it was in the comics and such... but in this movie it didn't seem Dr. Doom had any kind of special powers. I do know that in the 2005 movie he does...but which is true to the comics... I am not sure. The effects and such shows the low budget of this film... but most of it don't look to bad. I was surprised to see a very young Mercedes McNab (Harmony on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel series) plays the younger version of Sue Storm. Which I would have had no idea of if I didn't spot her name in the credits. But as I said... over all it is a fun film... but definitely nothing to get excited about. And I like having it in my collection for the rarity if nothing else.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete