Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467493 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2012, 02:56:48 AM »
Is this he one where at some point they shoot a ball over the neighbor's fence and then in their mind see this huge monster dog...? I haven't seen the film, but that scene sticks from the trailer sticks with me...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »
Yup... that's the one. And they have to get the ball back as it belongs to one of their fathers... and signed by Babe Ruth.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
     The Sandlot 2 (2004/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:David Mickey Evans
Writing:David Mickey Evans (Original Characters By), Robert Gunter (Original Characters By), David Mickey Evans (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Language, Rude Humor and Brief Violence
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Max Lloyd-Jones as David Durango
James Willson as Johnnie Smalls
Samantha Burton as Hayley Goodfairer
Brett Kelly as Mac
Cole Evan Weiss as Saul
Neilen Benvegnu as Tarqell

Plot:
From the director of The Sandlot comes this fun-filled sequel that proves the power of teamwork and celebrates the magic of friendship.

Ten years after the original story, the local dirt field is now "home" to a new group of neighborhood kids who get together to share laughs, show off...and play ball! But the gang faces their toughest challenge as they try to retrieve an irreplaceable model rocket that lands in Mr. Mertle's (James Earl Jones) backyard behind left field—a forbidden territory guarded by a legendary, growling, slobbering beast known as "The Great Fear."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I started this movie last night... finished it very early this morning since I couldn't sleep. I went into this one knowing I never seen it before... but after enjoying the first one I went into it with somewhat high expectations. I know that is something you should never do... but I couldn't help it. It turned out to not be quite as good as the first one... but I still enjoyed it. The first movie takes place in 1962... this one ten years later in 1972. While there was still neighborhood kids playing baseball in the sandlot... there wasn't as much emphasis on baseball in this one. Matter of fact... baseball really was a rather small part of it this time around. Other then that though... it pretty much followed the storyline of the first one. Almost scene for scene! This time around one of the kid's father worked for NASA and designed the first space shuttle and one of the kids took the model of it out and launched it at the sandlot. The model of the space shuttle lands in the yard with the huge dog... and the kids must get it back before the father gets back from his business trip. Basically if you seen the first one you also seen this one. Just replace the baseball with the model of the space shuttle and the rest is basically the same. I have mixed feelings about this. I would have liked to of seen a more original storyline... but at the same time I can't deny that I enjoyed it all the same.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
     Uptown Girls: Special Edition (2003/United States)

Metro Goldwyn Mayer Home Entertainment
Director:Boaz Yakin
Writing:Allison Jacobs (Story By), Julia Dahl (Screenwriter), Mo Ogrodnik (Screenwriter), Lisa Davidowitz (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sexual Content and Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Brittany Murphy as Molly
Dakota Fanning as Ray
Marley Shelton as Ingrid
Donald Faison as Huey
Jesse Spencer as Neal
Austin Pendleton as Mr. McConkey

Plot:
Brittany Murphy (Don't Say a Word) and Dakota Fanning (I Am Sam) shine brighter than all the lights of Manhattan in this delightful New York fairy tale. Co-starring Marley Shelton (Never Been Kissed), Donald Faison ("Scrubs") and Heather Locklear ("Spin City"), Uptown Girls will make you laugh, cry... and laugh again!

Molly (Murphy) is a partying rock 'n' roll princess whose money just ran out. Ray (Fanning) is a fussy nine-year-old whose last nanny just ran out. Only Ray's way-too-busy mom (Locklear) could think that hiring Molly would be the perfect setup for both girls. But as this unlikely pair faces everything from control issues (Ray's, of course) to temper tantrums (Molly's, of course), they discover that sometimes, your best friend can come from the place you least expect!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned
  • Soundtrack Spot

My Thoughts:
Since I realized I enjoy the work of the late Brittany Murphy... I thought I would give this movie a chance. This is a Disc that I got yesterday in that big package of discs. Unfortunately this one didn't impress me as much as most her others. She was fine in it. The storyline has potential... but I just didn't care for the way it all came together. While I was able to watch the entire movie I struggled to keep interested in it. The film has some boring moments that I couldn't wait to end. It has some sad moments. And it has some fun moments. One thing it didn't have is any laugh-out-load funny moments. I would say this film is pretty much just an average fare. Definitely nothing to go out of your way to watch... but if you are bored one day and have it sitting around or can catch it on cable... it can be a decent way to waste an hour and a half.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
     17 Again (2009/United States)

New Line Home Entertainment
Director:Burr Steers
Writing:Jason Filardi (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Language, Some Sexual Material and Teen Partying
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Zac Efron as Mike O'Donnell
Leslie Mann as Scarlet
Thomas Lennon as Ned Gold
Matthew Perry as Mike O'Donnell (Adult)
Tyler Steelman as Ned Gold (Teen)
Allison Miller as Scarlet (Teen)

Plot:
If you somehow had the chance, would you do your life over? Thirtysomething Mike O’Donnell would. Then one mysteriously magical moment, Mike gets his chance. He’s suddenly back at Hayden High where he’s the star of the basketball team, a total hottie and a classmate to his own teenage kids...which gives Mike a chance to go from not-so-good dad to really cool friend. Zac Efron (Hairspray, the High School Musical movies) and Matthew Perry (Friends) are 17 Again and fabulously funny as the younger and older Mike in a good-time time-warp comedy that proves the best year of your life is the one you're living right now.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I originally seen this movie on On Demand... and at that time I really didn't care for it... as you can see by my old review HERE. But when I got the chance to get a free copy of the movie I thought why not give it another chance. After all it does have Matthew Perry and Michelle Trachtenberg in it... and I usually enjoy the both of them. Well today I thought I would go ahead and bite the bullet and give it another go. Kind of a get it over with type thing. As it turns out I am glad I gave it a second chance. While it still not good enough to get onto my favorites list... it is better then I thought it was the first time I watched it. I was surprised when I found myself enjoying it this time. Still I would say it is no more then an average movie... but at least I am not sorry I have it in my collection... and I could even see myself watching it again at some point.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »
     Scooby-Doo (2002/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Raja Gosnell
Writing:James Gunn (Screenwriter), Craig Titley (Writer), James Gunn (Writer), Joseph Barbera (Original Characters By), William Hanna (Original Characters By)
Length:86 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Some Rude Humor, Language and Some Scary Action
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Fred
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne
Matthew Lillard as Shaggy
Linda Cardellini as Velma
Rowan Atkinson as Mondavarious
Isla Fisher as Mary Jane

Plot:
Zoinks! Two years after a clash of egos forced Mystery Inc. to close its doors, Scooby-Doo and his clever crime-solving cohorts Fred (FREDDIE PRONZE JR.), Daphne (SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR), Shaggy (MATTHEW LILLARD) and Thelma (LINDA CARDELLINI) are individually summoned to Spooky Island to investigate a series of paranormal incidents at the ultra-hip Spring Break hot spot.

Concerned that his way cool theme park might truly be haunted, Spooky Island owner Emile Mondavarious (ROWAN ATKINSON) tries to reunite those notoriously meddling detectives to solve the mystery before his supernatural secret scares away the college crowds.

Scooby and the gang still have to overcome their personal deffierences and forget everything thay think they know about fake ghouls and phony creatures to crack the case, save themselves and possibly...the world. RUH-ROH!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Interactive Games
  • Music Videos
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie since it was originally released on DVD. That was back in late 2002. I can't believe it is going on 10 years already. I use to watch the Scooby Doo cartoons all the time when I was a kid. I think they did a fine job bringing it to live action. While it is live action, it didn't loose the cartoon feel. I think they did a good job casting the characters.  I especially liked Sarah Michelle Geller as Daphne. Sure, the movie is geared more for the kids... but I think any adult that watched Scooby and the gang during their childhood will enjoy it too. I know I enjoyed it. It is something that brought me back to my childhood, but at the same time something that is modern.

This DVD was in the package I got yesterday. And was glad to be able to watch it again. Unfortunately it is the full screen edition. But I hope to upgrade to the widescreen eventually.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
     Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star: Special Collector's Edition (2003/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Sam Weisman
Writing:Fred Wolf (Writer), David Spade (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Crude and Sex-Related Humor, Language and Drug References
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Nicholas Schwerin as Young Dickie
Doris Roberts as Peggy Roberts
Dick Van Patten as Himself
David Spade as Dickie Roberts
Michelle Ruben as Ring Girl
John Farley as Referee

Plot:
In the 1970's, Dickie Roberts (David Spade) held the keys to success as a child star with a hit TV series. Now the only keys Dickie holds are the ones that start the customer's cars that he parks as a valet attendant for a Hollywood restaurant.

Desparate to revive his acting career, Dickie tries to audition for a role in Rob Reiner's new movie but the director doesn't believe Dickie is normal enough to play the part. Determined to get the role, Dickie hires a "typical" family to give him the real-life upbringing he never had. But once Dickie moves in, the family's life becomes anything but normal as Dickie unleashes his wild inner child... and learns in the process some unforgettable lessons about fame, fortune and family values.

Co-starring Mary McCormack, Jon Lovitz, Alyssa Milano, and many former child stars including Danny Bonaduce, Barry Williams, and Leif Garrett.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I really wasn't sure what to think going into this movie. I thought it looked pretty silly going by the trailer. And it definitely was that. But I enjoyed it quite a bit all the same. I found it to be  just a fun show. Silly as can be in parts... but lots of fun. Of course it probably helped that I was familiar with a lot of the child stars that made appearances in this movie. And there is a lot of them that make an appearance. Matter of fact there is a montage of them right before the end credits where they all get together singing a song about being child stars. Not to mention a good handful through-out the movie as well. I did get a few good chuckles out of the movie. But those chuckles were pretty few and far between. I think recognizing the child stars was where I got most of my enjoyment from in this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
     The Curse of King Tut's Tomb (2006)

Echo Bridge Home Entertainment
Director:Russell Mulcahy
Writing:David Titcher (Writer)
Length:170 min.
Rating:Rated NR : Violence
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Casper Van Dien as Danny Fremont
Jonathan Hyde as Morgan Sinclair
Leonor Varela as Dr. Azelia Barakat
Steven Waddington as Jason McGreevy
Niko Nicotera as Andrew Walker
Tat Whalley as Rembrandt

Plot:
Thousands of years ago, the great Child King Tutankhamen ruled. Few know the details of his life—no one knows the secrets of his death. All that is about to change.

Free-spirited archaeologist Danny Fremont (Casper Van Dien, Sleepy Hollow) is certain that if found, King Tut's Emerald Tablet would hold the power to control the world. Unfortunately, the only one who believes Fremont is his nemesis archaeologist Morgan Sinclair (Jonathan Hyde, Titanic), a member of a secret society who wants the tablet to harness unspeakable evil on the world and will stop at nothing to get it.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This one was a two night mini-series that originally aired on the Hallmark Channel. I never got to see this when it originally aired... so was very pleased when I found out a friend was giving it to me. It is in a set of 2 mini-series along with Merlin's Apprentice. Which I also missed when it originally aired... so was twice as thrilled. Especially since I remember really enjoying Merlin. This isn't the normal disturb the tomb and you are cursed type of thing. They decided to go a completely different direction then that. While I can see how some may not like this... I enjoyed it quite a bit. I found it to be an interesting and entertaining way to spend almost 3 hours. It didn't feel that long while watching it! I tend to shy away from anything that is around 2hrs or longer... but this one was worth the time put into it. The storyline is interesting. The characters are likable. And the effects are pretty good as well. I really don't have anything here to complain about. Well, a couple extras would have been nice... but other then that... no complaints.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
I tend to shy away from anything that is around 2hrs or longer...
So I guess it won't be a good idea to recommand 1900 to you as the movie runs 5h16 :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
Well... lets put it this way... it would definitely have to wait it's turn until I feel up to it! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
     Eurotrip: Unrated (2004/United States)

Director:Jeff Schaffer
Writing:Alec Berg (Writer), David Mandel (Writer), Jeff Schaffer (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Scott Mechlowicz as Scott Thomas
Jacob Pitts as Cooper Harris
Kristin Kreuk as Fiona
Cathy Meils as Mrs. Thomas
Nial Iskhakov as Bert
Michelle Trachtenberg as Jenny

Plot:
Europe will never be the same after Scotty Thomas and his buddies take off for express to excess! They're hooking up with hot strangers and jamming all the extreme insanity they can into the wildest trip of their lives! No swimsuit, no problem. Let it all hang out 'cause you're diving into the totally wild pleasures of Eurotrip UNRATED!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Unrated menus

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I heard about a lot over the past several years. Many of my friends told me how good it is and how I had to see it. So when I got a copy in my latest package of DVDs I couldn't wait to check it out. While it isn't a bad movie... I would even go as far as saying it is a good movie... but I think I went into it with a little too high of expectations. I definitely enjoyed it... was a fun way to waste an hour and a half... I don't see what all the fuss was about. My favorite character of the movie was Jenny played by Michelle Trachtenberg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Mercy). While I did get a few chuckles out of it... there really wasn't any laugh out loud moments in it for me. Don't take it wrong... the movie is definitely worth seeing. Just don't make the same mistake I did and go into it with too high of expectations.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
I think Eurotrip is the one of the better of this kind of comedies.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
Like I said... I really think I went into it expecting too much.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
there really wasn't any laugh out loud moments in it for me.

The bit where Trachtenberg's character kisses her brother cracks me up every time.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
That part was pretty good... but it would have been better if it wasn't shown in the trailer. I had already knew it was coming. Took away from it a little bit for me.
Pete