Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 466585 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

Title: First Blood: Ultimate Edition
Year: 1982
Director: Ted Kotcheff
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Crenna
Brian Dennehy
Bill McKinney
Jack Starrett
Michael Talbott

Plot:
Academy Award®-nominee Sylvester Stallone* stars as war hero, ex-Green Beret John Rambo in the one that started it all! FIRST BLOOD is an explosive action-thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the final, powerful frame.

*1977, Rocky, Best Actor/1977, Rocky, Best Original Screenplay.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Disc is encoded with Survival mode - six levels

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have always enjoyed. One of my favorite Stallone movies. I really good story and lots of great action. I think Stallone did a fantastic job in the role. Especially in this film. The sequels... while I still enjoyed them quite a bit... really changed the character a bit. Made him almost cartoonish. But this is the original Rambo. The way he was meant to be.

This disc has some nice extras... many of which I still need to go through. But I did check out the Alternate Ending. This is the first time I ever got to see it. While it would have been a good... powerful way to end it as well... I am glad they went with the ending we got. If for no other reason then for the continuation of the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

Title: Assault on Precinct 13
Year: 2005
Director: Jean-François Richet
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jeffrey 'Ja Rule' Atkins
Maria Bello
Peter Bryant
Gabriel Byrne
Fulvio Cecere
Kim Coates

Plot:
Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne lead an all-star cast, including John Leguizamo, Ja Rule and Drea de Matteo, in the explosive, action-packed thriller, Assault on Precinct 13. Run-down Precinct 13 is about to close its doors forever. But everything changes when some of Detroit’s most lethal prisoners arrive. Soon, the only thing more dangerous than the criminals on the inside is the rogue gang on the outside. To survive the night, two men on opposite sides of the law will have to work together to battle an enemy who doesn’t follow the code of cop or criminal.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Let me start out by saying I never seen the original. So I can't compare the two or even comment on whether or not this one followed the original's storyline. While I enjoyed the movie... I was somehow expecting more from it. Probably because while I didn't see the original... I have always heard good things about it. There was a familiar face that I knew from a TV Series in this one. That being Drea de Matteo who I knew as Joey's sister on Joey. Over all a decent action flick... but I find it hard to believe it lives up to (at least what I heard of) the original.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Interesting. Pete, the original film is incredibly simple and brilliantly effective. There's no backstory to the villains, no conspiracy to solve, it's just a siege. Actually, it almost counts as a Horror. When I saw the remake, which I thought was very poor, my overriding impression was that they'd over-complicated a perfect idea. I find it intriguing that you seemed to pick up on this, despite not seeing the old one.

The story is clearly supposed to be very simple and when they go off at a tangent, it's jarring. I thought that was because I knew the story and didn't like the new angle, but actually everything they do detracts from the whole point of the story.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
that is pretty cool... picking up on it without seeing the original. :P Sounds like I definitely need to check out the original though.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
I watched the original (never seen the remake) not too long ago and was blown away by its awesomeness.

Interesting. Pete, the original film is incredibly simple and brilliantly effective. There's no backstory to the villains, no conspiracy to solve, it's just a siege.
To be fair, a quick explanation is given, just enough to have the whole thing not overly "out of the blue".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »
I'm almost certain that I haven't seen the original. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »

Title: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Year: 2000
Director: Ang Lee
Rating: PG-13
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Mandarin: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Chow Yun-Fat [Chow Yun Fat]
Michelle Yeoh
Zhang Ziyi
Chang Chen
Lung Sihung
Cheng Pei Pei

Plot:
Two master warriors (CHOW YUN FAT and MICHELLE YEOH) are faced with their greatest challenge when the treasured Green Destiny sword is stolen. A young aristocrat (ZHANG ZIYI) prepares for an arranged marriage, but soon reveals her superior fighting talents and her deeply romantic past. As each warrior battles for justice, they come face to face with their worst enemy – and the inescapable, enduring power of love.

Set against 19th-century China's breathtaking landscape, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the action-packed, box office smash from acclaimed director Ang Lee (Sense and Sensibility, The Ice Storm) featuring stunning martial arts choreography by Yuen Wo Ping (The Matrix).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one I was a little concerned about getting. Wasn't sure if I would like it or not. As I am normally not the type to enjoy the martial arts movies with exaggerated leaps and such.  But to be fair... I never seen a movie from beginning to end in this style. While it was strange to watch it didn't bother me as much as I expected it to. The storyline... while interesting... I felt it could have been better. I especially couldn't get into the flashback of her in the desert falling in love. But the visuals is what made this movie for me. It is just a beautiful movie to watch. The acting was also top-notch. I thought every one of them did astounding work.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
But did you watch the dubbed version or the one in Mandarin Chinese?  I saw the latter but then I was in a theater and we didn't get a choice there.  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »
I went with the dubbed this time... as I just didn't feel up to keeping remote in hand to rewind and pause just to see what is being said (I am a slow reader!). First thing early in the morning like that I just didn't think I could handle the subtitles. Though next time I am sure I will try it subtitled instead.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »

Title: Guess Who
Year: 2005
Director: Kevin Rodney Sullivan
Rating: PG-13
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Bernie Mac
Ashton Kutcher
Zoe Saldana [Zoë Saldaña]
Judith Scott
Hal Williams
Kellee Stewart

Plot:
When Theresa (Zoë Saldaña) brings fiancé Simon Green (Ashton Kutcher) home for her parents’ 25th wedding anniversary, she’s neglects to mention one tiny detail... he’s white. Determined to break his daughter’s engagement, Percy Jones (Bernie Mac) does everything he can to make Simon feel “apart” of the family, from running his credit report to locking him in the basement at night. But when Percy gleefully exposes Simon’s most embarrassing secret, it leads to an outrageous series of comic complications that only goes to prove that with a dad like Percy Jones, father doesn’t always know best.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I been curios about checking this one out since the first time I ever seen the trailer. It just looked so funny. And it is a good funny movie... I enjoyed it quite a bit. But it is one of those deals where the funniest scenes where in the trailer. Which kinda sucks. But overall I liked this one... and definitely can see myself watching it again. Bernie Mac is hilarious in this one. I normally don't care too much for Ashton Kutcher... but I actually enjoyed him in this one. His style and humor worked well here. Glad I got this one added to my collection. Thank You to my friend that generously gave me this dvd!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
I liked it when Kutcher was at the dinner table unwillingly telling jokes. He told just one too many.  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
Yeah... that was definitely a fun scene!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2010, 11:16:49 PM »

Title: Kick-Ass
Year: 2010
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Length: 118 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Aaron Johnson
Garrett M. Brown
Clark Duke
Evan Peters
Deborah Twiss
Lyndsy Fonseca

Plot:
Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan with a few friends and who lives alone with his father. His life is not very difficult and his personal trials not that overwhelming. However, one day he makes the simple decision to become a super-hero even though he has no powers or training.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brittany asked me to watch this movie with her this evening. And I am sure glad I did... This movie is no less then excellent! I was so engrossed with this movie that the time (almost 2 full hours) flew by... and the movie was over before I knew it. I was worried that with all the hype I read about this movie would ruin it for me... but in this case the hype was well deserved. Hit-Girl stole the show... best character in the entire movie. Brittany said it right when she told me not to confuse this with a superhero movie... it really isn't one. It is actually a vigilante movie that just happens to use superhero costumes as a gimmick. If by any chance you haven't seen this one yet.... it is one I highly recommend... see it as soon as possible... you won't be sorry!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Finally! You've caught up with the rest of us. :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
Tell me about it! I should have seen this one long ago. Luckily Brittany got it for an early birthday present while spending the weekend with her grandparents this past weekend... or I still wouldn't have seen it!  :bag:
Pete