Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 23864 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
I just hope that you will not be disappointed with the classic one. It is from the 30s after all. One of the first stop-motion movies. Compared to modern special effects outdated of course. But for its time revolutionary. I was surprised by a lot of the special effect how well they were done. On my DVD release there was also great making of about these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtV2ubxU4E

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
Oh Hell... that clip looked like a lot of fun!

I can expect such effects from such an old movie. That is no problem.

I don't know what it is about the '70s version... not so much the effects but the quality of the movie over-all... and like I said... I don't really care for the fact that they modernized it. I guess because the first Kong I seen was the 2005 version it now feels like it should be taking place back in the '20s - '30s.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
I was always curious about seeing this movie (I have never seen it). But with such a harsh rating by you it must be truly awful. :laugh:
It isn't that bad, not that it means that this is a great movie but certainly better than a . Personally I rate it between a and a . Anyway it's certainly more enjoyable than the sleep inducing Peter Jackson version.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
Well... glad to hear you liked it a little more then I did Jimmy. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »
I was always curious about seeing this movie (I have never seen it). But with such a harsh rating by you it must be truly awful. :laugh:
It isn't that bad, not that it means that this is a great movie but certainly better than a . Personally I rate it between a and a . Anyway it's certainly more enjoyable than the sleep inducing Peter Jackson version.

The men in white coats are on stand by...

:tease:

I'm pleasantly surprised that Pete couldn't find anything to enjoy it though! He's normally the last resort of the truly shit film...  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »

Friday the 13th (2009)
College kids seeking a weekend of kicks have made a horrible mistake. They've come to party at eerie Crystal Lake, the deadly domain of machete-mad killer Jason Voorhees.

Terror goes to extremes in this reimagining of the Jason legend for today's horror fan. Enter for the first time the subterranean lair that is Jason's den of torture and fear. See him discover the mask that hides his deformed face.

Experience a whole new level of fright. And try to remain calm. The intense violence, the unique kills, the jolting scares: live them all in the all-new Friday The 13th!

My Thoughts:
Even though I have heard both good and bad about this movie... I pre-ordered this one for 2 reasons... Curios about how they did it as there has been remakes that I liked. And it has Jared Padalecki (Supernatural... one of my favorite shows!) in it. I went into this one with slightly high expectations... which is not ideal. I really wasn't as happy with it as I thought I would be. I mean I didn't hate it... but it should have been better. some of the kills were pretty cool... but then some you didn't get to see that well and left more to the imagination. Jason himself didn't feel like the real Jason... and probably the worst thing about it... Jason does not take prisoners! I realize when watching this you are supposed to forget that the movies before it even exists... but with such an iconic horror franchise as Friday the 13th that is really just impossible for the fans to do. I can't say I am sorry I got it.... as I did enjoy it... it just wasn't exactly what I was expecting... and it should have been a bit better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 05:12:29 AM »
The movie that no one had asking for and flop for that exact reason on the box office (in my city the movie was one week on the screen and less than 100 persons had watched it :hysterical:). Just a bad excuse to make more money on a tired franchise, the last and better one was the second after it was the same movie everytime... For the critics I've seen the camera works is too dark and dirty, it had worked well for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and prologue (can't find a better term) two movies that I've surprisingly appreciated ;D But for Friday the 13th... please give me a break ::)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 06:53:36 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised that Pete couldn't find anything to enjoy it though! He's normally the last resort of the truly shit film...  :hysterical:
I was surprised too, especially as I actually don't remember the film being THAT awful, although I have no intention to see it again.

Friday the 13th (2009)

My Thoughts:
Jason himself didn't feel like the real Jason... and probably the worst thing about it... Jason does not take prisoners!
Since this is a remake I am surprised to see that you felt the worst was that Jason took prisoners when in fact
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »
Since this is a remake I am surprised to see that you felt the worst was that Jason took prisoners when in fact
(click to show/hide)

Remaking Friday the 13th is a double-edged sword. The original is widely regarded as not very good at all and therefore ripe for a remake, except, somehow they'd managed to make a dozen sequels that at least had an iconic character. So how could they do a proper remake of the first one without most people scratching their heads, saying "but where's..."  :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
Achim... the reason that part didn't bother me is because I went into the movie already knowing it would combine the first 3 movies into 1. From the mother doing the killing (Part 1 - very beginning of the remake) to Jason getting the hockey mask (Part 3 - midway into the remake). So that is something I was really expecting. Matter of fact I heard the mother wasn't in it at all... so I was actually a bit relieved when I saw they touched on her in the beginning of the movie.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Remaking Friday the 13th is a double-edged sword. The original is widely regarded as not very good at all and therefore ripe for a remake, except, somehow they'd managed to make a dozen sequels that at least had an iconic character. So how could they do a proper remake of the first one without most people scratching their heads, saying "but where's..."  :shrug:

Yeah... I think just too many people would have been expecting Jason. Only the true fans would be looking for the mother.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »
Achim... the reason that part didn't bother me is because I went into the movie already knowing it would combine the first 3 movies into 1.
Oh, o.k., that's all different then. I wasn''t aware that that's what they had done here. Probably a good idea, as conformed by Jon's and your above post.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »
You all are in for a big surprise... watch this thread  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile