Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 23783 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
The dinosaurs were there in the original Kong. As far as I remember because this way they could use footage of an unreleased movie. I didn't expect them either the first time I watched it.

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Now you have to go and get the proper version of King Kong  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
Yeah... I must see the original! I tell you what... even though I am not expecting much since I heard it sucked... after watching this one I just may watch the '70s version this weekend as well.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »
Yeah... I must see the original! I tell you what... even though I am not expecting much since I heard it sucked... after watching this one I just may watch the '70s version this weekend as well.

Pete, did you really just say you'd heard the original sucked? Let me check... yup. So you did. Who on earth said that? They must have meant the 70s version.

It's a commonly used test actually by mental asylums. They show you the original King Kong, then make you watch the 70s version. If you prefer the 70s one they lock you up and throw away the key. They don't even bother with paperwork...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
Then I didn't type too clearly what I was trying to say is 2 things...

1. Yes, I must get the original... I feel it is a must see now.
2. Even though I am not expecting much as I heard it sucked I think at some point this weekend I may have to watch the '70s version of the movie.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!  :tomato:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
I bought this one used... and the only downfall of it for me is no real extras and it is the Full Screen version. So it is one I will consider replacing some day.

If you want it send me a PM to settle a trade ;)

For me it's one of the most boring movie ever made. I've fallen asleep everytime I've tried to watch it :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
Then I didn't type too clearly what I was trying to say is 2 things...

1. Yes, I must get the original... I feel it is a must see now.
2. Even though I am not expecting much as I heard it sucked I think at some point this weekend I may have to watch the '70s version of the movie.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!  :tomato:

Aha! Nope, you're alright, it's me. There are two distinct sentences, it's just unfortunate you had "sucked" and "original" almost in the same one!  :bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
 :laugh: That's ok... I could have been a bit clearer in what I was saying.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »

Ghostbusters
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis star in this supernatural comedy classic that will have you howling! When the University downsizes the para-psychology department, Doctors Venkman (Murray), Stantz (Aykroyd) and Spengler (Ramis) make the leap from scientists to Ghostbusters, investigators and exterminators of paranormal pests! The bewitching Dana Barett (Sigourney Weaver) discovers her refrigerator has become a portal into the spiritual dimension, our heroes then come face to face with an ancient evil force with plans to raise hell in Manhattan!!

My Thoughts:
After my daughter just getting the new Ghostbusters Wii Game... and playing that with her for a little while... I found myself in the mood to watch this movie again. When I grabbed this DVD the realization that this movie is 25 years old now hit me... Wow! Do I feel old now! It has been a while since I seen this (6 years now)... I actually forgot how much I enjoyed this movie! This movie is full of fun and laughs. I thought everyone did a very good job in this one. And this collector's edition DVD that I watched is loaded with great extras for hours of fun. It is a great movie and great DVD release.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 04:40:21 AM »
I'm shocked that you had not taken my suggestion seriously :redcard:
(click to show/hide)

But if you have the time, and honestly those movies are short, try to watch Assasin of Youth and Reefer Madness. Your copy seem to be a not so great PD released, but I've them on a SWV triple features released (the other film is Marijuana) with a lot of extra :tease: Those movies are so over the top that it's easy to understand why they were shown in the roadshow circuit.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »
and the only downfall of it for me is no real extras and it is the Full Screen version. So it is one I will consider replacing some day.
:redcard: So you only saw half to two thirds of the film...?

I get it with 1.85:1 films (especially open matte), but how can they be seriously converting 2.35:1 to full screen.....? (Super 35 put aside....)

The dinosaurs were there in the original Kong. As far as I remember because this way they could use footage of an unreleased movie. I didn't expect them either the first time I watched it.
The bugs were also in the original, they just had mostly cut those scenes.

The real mystery is to many how Jackson could remake a 2 hour movie and turn it into a four hour film (Pete, the Special Edition adds about 45min of footage!!!) with mainly sticking to the original scenes ??? It is, however, a successful film (make Jimmy feel boring doesn't count :P) and my only complaint will always be the ice skating scene.

I don't always remember putting it there, but the original is in my Top 5 of all time.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
Well... Jimmy and I have a trade worked out... so I will be seeing it the way it was meant to be seen before too long.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »

King Kong (1976)
The Petrox company’s search for new oil reserves on a strange island unleashes a terror unseen by civilized man - KING KONG! The timeless story of a "beauty" (JESSICA LANGE, making her feature-film debut) and a "beast" comes to the screen in this ambitious production from Dino De Laurentiis. CHARLES GRODIN is the scheming oil company shark out to exploit the giant beast to his fullest. And JEFF BRIDGES is the desperate hero, Jack Prescott, who attempts to wrest the beautiful heroine (Lange) from King Kong’s grasp. New York City trembles with each echoing footstep of the towering ape set loose in the streets!

My Thoughts:
After watching the 2005 version yesterday I was in the mood for more King Kong. I wish I had the 1933 version to finally watch... but I don't so I had to settle for the 1976 version. A movie I heard sucked. The first thing I did was watch the trailer that was on the disc with it. This did not raise my hopes any. But what really got me was the trailer actually had the nerve to call this movie original!?!? This movie is rather boring from the start. I got one look at Jessica Lange and thought well there is one reason to watch the movie... she was a beautiful woman. Then she started talking and I realized just how annoying of a character she portrayed. It started to get slightly more interesting once they got to the island. But not enough of an improvement that it wasn't still work trying to watch this movie. King Kong didn't look too bad... but wasn't great either. One thing I did like is Kong fighting the giant snake... but it was over so quickly it is hardly worth mentioning. Once they got him back to civilization it didn't get any better. I think part of where they went wrong in this one... that they did right in the 2005 version... is that they actually tried to modernize it instead of having it take place in the past. This is one I just wasn't able to get into much. Had 1 or 2 scene that were half way decent... but not much beyond that.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »
King Kong (1976)
My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

I was always curious about seeing this movie (I have never seen it). But with such a harsh rating by you it must be truly awful. :laugh:
I think I will pass on watching it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
You know... I was kinda wondering if I watched that one first... followed by the 2005 version if I would have liked it more. I am thinking just maybe the 2005 version spoiled me a little and I went in expecting more then I should have.

nah! it stunk!  :thumbdown:
Pete