Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 23780 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Anything Goes
For this weekend's marathon I wanted to be able to watch anything and everything. No matter the genre, who stars in it or whether I have seen it or not. This way no matter what I am in the mood for I can feel free to pop it in. I found myself more and more in the mood for a movie this weekend... because of that I am starting my weekend marathon a night early. My Weekend Movie Marathons usually runs from Friday morning to mid day Sunday. But I just couldn't wait for it so starting it on Thursday evening.

If anyone here would like to see a particular movie reviewed this weekend look over my list HERE and let me know... and I will do my best to get to it at some point this weekend. And I will shoot the first person that asks for a High School Musical review!  :tease:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Phantom of the Opera? Hair? Grease? Dirty Dancing?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! It is a good thing I don't have many of those! I do have a copy of Phantom of the Opera... HERE IS YOUR REVIEW
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »
Highlander
King Kong (the 2005 one. You don't seem to have the classic 1933 one)
Last Action Hero

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:47 PM »
I already have my first movie picked out Tom... but will put them on the list of possibilities.  :thumbup:

And nope... haven't gotten the original King Kong yet. I do want to get it eventually though. I never seen any King Kong movie before. :bag:
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
The Messengers

I haven't seen it, but it's horror, so it should be right up your alley. Plus, it would complement the little Kristen Stewart marathon I'm planning to do.
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »
Messengers is not bad... but not very good either.  pretty much just an average movie for the genre. You can see my review of it HERE
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »

Blood Work
FBI profiler Terry McCaleb almost always gets to the heart of a case. This time, that heart beats inside him. He's a cardiac patient who received a murder victim's heart. And the donor's sister asks him to make good on his second chance by finding the killer. That's just the first of many twists in a smart, gritty suspense thriller that's "vintage Eastwood: swift, surprising and very, very exciting" (Jim Svedja, KNX/CBS Radio).

Clint Eastwood produces, directs and stars in this edgy acclaimed mystery based on Michael Connelly's novel and scripted by Brian Helgeland (L.A. Confidential). With a superb cast brought to a hard boil playing characters to quicken your pulse and hold you spellbound, Blood Work works exceptionally well.

My Thoughts:
I felt like a good suspense/thriller... when I spotted this one in my list I knew it had to be the one to watch since the only thing I remember about it is that I enjoyed it the first time I seen it. I watched it once when I got the DVD back in 2003. It was one of the movies I got for $5.00 when the video store I worked for at the time closed down. I am glad I decided to watch it again. It is a very good movie. I thought Clint Eastwood was great in it.  Jeff Daniels was pretty good as well. But what I really liked about this one is the story itself.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

richierich

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:08 AM »
Can you generate a list of your unwatched titles Pete?

If not I couldn't find a review for Identity?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:26:20 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
I haven't watched Identity in years... so it is probably not reviewed... I will add it to the list of ones I will try to get to this weekend.

I am planning on doing more then unwatched DVDs... but here is a list of the movies I haven't watched yet (at least not since I bought the DVD)...

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Abomination: Evilmaker 2
Altered States
An Angel for Christmas
Assassins of Youth
Basic Instinct
Battleship Potemkin
Beat the Devil
Big Top Pee Wee
Chocolat
Circus of Fear
Crossroads
Cyrano de Bergerac
Darkman 2: Return of Durante
Darkman 3: Die Drakman Die
The Darkness
Deadly Drifter
Die, Sister Die
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
Dr. Phibes Rides Again
Dressed to Kill
Farewell to Arms
Flesh Feast
Foxes
Full Frontal
God Told Me To
Gone with the Wind
His Girl Friday
Holt of the Secret Service (Movie Serial)
The House Where Evil Dwells
Intolerance: Love's Struggle Through the Ages
The Invincible Iron Man
Jack the Ripper
Jaws: The Revenge
Kennel Murder Case
Kill Cruise
King Kong (1976)
King Kong (2005)
Laser Mission
Last Best Chance
Left Behind 2
Little Shop of Horrors
Majestic
Meet John Doe
Messiah of Evil
One Eyed Jack
Open Range
Pajama Game
Phantom Creeps (Movie Serial)
Radar Men from the Moon (Movie Serial)
Reefer Madness
Return of the Boogeyman
Ricochet
The River: Legend of La Llorona
Road to Bali
Sabotage
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green
The Shunned House
Sisters of Death
Sleep Disorder
The Somnambulists
The Stranger
Theater of Blood
Twins
Vulture's Eye
Undersea Kingdom (Movie Serial)
Up From Zero
Web of the Spider
White Fang to the Rescue
Windtalkers
Woodland Haunting 2
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 03:07:03 AM »
I think that you've read my mind, since I'm one of the guy that would have been shot :laugh:

So no High School Musical, Brittany would have been so happy to watch it with her father for Father's day. I can request this one since it isn't on the banned list :tease:

But Reefer Madness could be a good choice too...

edited because a dvdp online collection title seems to be unlinkable

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:42:39 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »

Last Action Hero
Action-adventure superstar Schwarzenegger bursts through the screen as a bigger-than-life movie hero in this non-stop adventure from acclaimed director John McTiernan (Predator, Die Hard)

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I find to be very under-rated. This is just a fun pop-corn movie. Sure almost the whole movie is so over-the-top it is ridiculous. But that is what makes this movie so fun. I really get a kick out of all the fun it makes of action movies... even movies in general.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 04:57:09 PM »
My favorite scene is when they are in the real world and the villain has Arnie pined down and suddenly the gun goes *click*. Arnie gets cocky, comes out of hiding and jokes about that the villain forgot that in the ral world guns will run out of bullets. The villain's reply: "No, I left one chamber empty." Bang!

:hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
 :laugh: yes... I definitely got a kick out of that part myself.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »

King Kong (2005)
Academy Award®-winning director Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) brings his sweeping cinematic vision to King Kong. Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody star in this spectacular film filled with heart-pounding action, terrifying creatures and ground-breaking special effects unlike anything you've seen before! Get ready for breathtaking action in this thrilling epic adventure about a legendary gorilla captured on a treacherous island and brought to civilization, where he faces the ultimate fight for survival. Experience the movie that critics are hailing as a "rousing, exciting cinematice adventure!" (Scott Manz, Access Hollywood)

My Thoughts:
Let me start out by saying this is my first taste of any King Kong movie. So I can not compare it to any of the previous movies. The first thing that popped in my mind when I pulled this from the shelf is "Damn!... this movie is Long!"... it clocks in just over 3hrs! But ok... I can accept that as long as it is an interesting movie. I was prepared for it being set back in the past... and that part of it was good... think it works better then having it placed in the present. But what I wasn't expecting was the dinosaurs that were also on the island. Not that it was a bad thing... because it wasn't... just an unexpected thing. I have to admit I did enjoy where he was fighting off the 3 Tyrannosauruses. Though I do think the giant insects were a bit much for my taste. Of course the scenes where he was brought to civilization were good. Seeing Kong let loose in New York City was definitely a lot of fun. I thought King Kong himself was well done. He looked good on the screen... though I do think I was expecting him to be a little bit bigger. But that was just going by what I heard since I never seen a King Kong movie before. Over all a movie I really enjoyed. I bought this one used... and the only downfall of it for me is no real extras and it is the Full Screen version. So it is one I will consider replacing some day.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete