Author Topic: My Western Marathon  (Read 14734 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Western Marathon
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »

The Missing
The Oscar®-winning team of Ron Howard and Brian Grazer (2002, A Beautiful Mind, Best Picture) present a riveting thriller destined to become a classic! Oscar® Nominee Cate Blanchett (1998 Elizabeth, Best Actress in a Leading Role) is Maggie, a woman raising her daughters in New Mexico's desolate wilderness. When daughter Lily (Evan Rachel Wood, Thirteen) is snatched by a phantom, Maggie's long-estranged father, Oscar® Winner Tommy Lee Jones (1993, The Fugitive, Best Actor in a Supporting Role) suddenly appears to help. Frightening events lurk in the distance, so unspeakable it will change them forever!

My Thoughts:
This is one that I bought blind on the star power of Tommy Lee Jones... who I have been a fan of for quite a while now. This one is a little over the average movie length as it clocks in at 2hrs 17min. I have the Superbit version of this DVD. And let me tell you... maybe it is because I don't have a high def TV... but I don't see any difference quality wise between these Superbit DVDs and the regular releases. It seems like to me that it is just an excuse not to add any extras to the release.

The movie itself is very good... I enjoyed every moment of it. There is one part of the movie I am not really happy about... which I won't spoil here. Sure... it makes for a stronger story... but I just didn't care for it. As always Tommy Lee Jones did a fantastic job. I have liked him in everything I have seen him in. Very talented guy!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_pA0DpHqh8
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »
You might have enjoyed one that had specieal features. I think you would have liked the alternative endings.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
Thanks Kathy... may be one I have to Double Dip on!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »

The Painted Stallion (Chapters 7-8)
An American agent, Clark Stuart, is dispatched to Santa Fe to negotiate a trade agreement with the newly appointed Mexican governor. The former Governor, Alfredo Duprey, plots to sabotage the traety by substituting one of his own men for Stuart, At the same time, a wagon train bearing goods for trade is nearing Santa Fe. Duprey's men plan to attack it, but Clark Stuart aided by Jim Bowie, Kit Carson, and Davy Crockett saves the day.

Chapters:
7. Trail Treachery
8. The Whistling Arrow

My Thoughts:
Now only have 4 chapters left to go. I am still enjoying this serial quite a bit. The one thing about commenting on each of the chapters (or episode for TV Series) is running out of things to say without repeating yourself several times over. This time I will mention Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett. I really like how they did these characters... though I do wish they had somewhat bigger parts. It is like they are there in the background for most of the serial... but they are really utilized very little. I noticed Kit Carson is becoming this way in the later chapters I have watched so far as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »

Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition
"My name is Jim, but most people call me...Jim." And while 'Blazing Saddles' is deliriously funny, most people call it deliriously funnier, thanks to this special, extras-packed 30th-Anniversary Edition.

Filmmaker, star and paddle-ball wiz Mel Brooks goes way out West and way out of his mind with a spiffy spoof set in an 1874 Old West where 1974 Hollywood is one soundstage away – and where nonstop fun blasts prejudices to the high comedy heavens. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn and more join for horseplay and horselaughs, making 'Blazing Saddles' the #6 choice among the American Film Institute's Top-100 Comedies. Give these out to the boys in lieu of pay. And enjoy.

My Thoughts:
Today I felt like putting some comedy into my Western marathon... so what better then a Western Spoof. Of course Mel Brooks is the king when it comes to making spoofs... and this movie is no exception. I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure some of it my go a little to far on the dumb side for my taste... but I think that is just part of the fun. I especially enjoyed Harvey Korman... and of course Mel Brooks... they were both hilarious in this movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xA7cjbpJY
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »

The Painted Stallion (Chapters 9-10)
An American agent, Clark Stuart, is dispatched to Santa Fe to negotiate a trade agreement with the newly appointed Mexican governor. The former Governor, Alfredo Duprey, plots to sabotage the traety by substituting one of his own men for Stuart, At the same time, a wagon train bearing goods for trade is nearing Santa Fe. Duprey's men plan to attack it, but Clark Stuart aided by Jim Bowie, Kit Carson, and Davy Crockett saves the day.

Chapters:
9. The Fatal Message
10. Ambush

My Thoughts:
I am getting close to the end now... only two more chapters to watch. The first chapter out of these two, while still good, was on a slow side a bit... at least until the end of the chapter which had a good gunfight ending in a great cliffhanger. In my opinion the best cliffhanger up to this point. The chapter entitled Ambush is really just an average chapter. Just something to bring the storyline along. But that is to be expected with some of them.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »

Back to the Future III
Stars Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are joined by Oscar® winner Mary Steenburgen in this rousing, full-throttle conclusion of the epic time-traveling adventure trilogy from executive producer Steven Spielberg and director Robert Zemeckis.

Fulfilling a long-time fantasy, Doc Brown has decided to live in the Old West of the 1880s. But when he's in danger of meeting an untimely end, Marty travels back in time to rescue him. There's just one problem: Doc is so smitten by schoolteacher Clara Clayton (Steenburgen) that he can't think straight! Now, it's up to Marty to keep Doc out of trouble, keep the DeLorean running, and keep the past, present and future on track so they can all get back to where - and when - they belong! Filled with all of the trademark 'Back to the Future' gadgetry, action, imagination and humor, it's a spectacular finale to one of the most popular adventure-comedy film series of all time!

My Thoughts:
OK... I know I am stretching it a bit to add this one to my Western marathon. But as I have said before... Westerns really isn't usually my thing. And I admit... I am starting to tire of the westerns a bit. But hey... between the movies and the chapters of the serial I been watching in between I think I have done pretty good.

I don't know if I would say this is my favorite Back to the Future movie... but it is a lot of fun. I really liked the addition of Mary Steenburgen to the cast. She did a fine job fitting in... I also know her from the TV Series Joan of Arcadia which I also enjoyed a lot. I have to admit though... even though it was good see what Dr. Brown was up to after Marty made it back.... I didn't care too much for the flying steam engine. I mean it would have been one thing if they didn't make it fly.... but in my opinion the flying part just was a little too far (not story-wise mind you) it just didn't look right the way it took off.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQXOx2lYnA4
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »

The Painted Stallion (Chapters 11-12)

Chapters:
11. Tunnel of Terror
12. Human Targets

My Thoughts:
Well... that is it.. this serial is now finished. This serial has a decent ending... but nothing that really blew me away. Over-all definitely a good serial. Though I am sure this one will not get as much replay value as many of my others. Only because I really have to be in the mood to watch a Western. Speaking of which... I think I exhausted my mood for Westerns now. So this is where I will end it this time around. I did originally want to get to Open Range... but I will just save that one for another marathon.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »
 :slaphead:

Open Range was the one I was waiting for you to comment on! :redcard:

Bloody Back to the bloody Future in a bloody Western bloody marathon and he can't fit bloody Open bloody Range in and that's an actual bloody western... :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »
 :laugh: Sorry Jon!  But why do you think those last couple movies were not straight Westerns... I was already getting out of the mood. I was hoping I would be able to handle just one more... but by the time I finished the serial... I just found myself getting completely bored with them. So if I watch it now there is no way I would be fair in my opinion of the movie.

It will be one that I watch soon though... probably during a no theme marathon or Unwatched movies marathon.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
I was thinking of starting an ongoing westerns marathon...but wonder now if anyone would be interested in reading that since Pete already did this western marathon.  I recently did a count of my western movies and came up with 320 western titles in my collection.  This includes a handful of silents starring William S. Hart, "B" low-budget westerns including many Hopalong Cassidy films and of course the bigger budget films starring the likes of John Wayne, Randolph Scott, Clint Eastwood and Jimmy Stewart.

Regarding what is and isn't a western, I count comedies if they follow the rules...Support Your Local Sheriff is one, for instance...but I don't count films like Back To The Future III and Blazing Saddles since the modern world intrudes into the proceedings.  But maybe that's just me?  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
I was thinking of starting an ongoing westerns marathon...but wonder now if anyone would be interested in reading that since Pete already did this western marathon. 

We are always interested in what others think about any movie  :)

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Go for it! My favourite genre is the Western and the site is sorely lacking. I've had it at the back of my mind to do one, but I'm splitting my time between Hitchcock and Bava at the moment. Peckinpah next though! :P

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
Okay, Tom and Jon, thanks for the encouragement.  I will see about doing that.

Regarding El Dorado, as I recall no one sings during the movie but (as is often with westerns) there is one song during the opening credits.  Instead of singing, Mississippi (James Caan) does spout some poetry.  :thundergod: