Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Sandra Bullock  (Read 12489 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Sandra Bullock
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon

Sandra Bullock
I have been a fan of Sandra Bullock for a very long time now. I really have enjoyed her in pretty much everything I have seen her in so far... but surprisingly looking at my collection I really don't have that many of her movies yet. As of right now I only have 14 of her movies... and if I am not mistaken... one of those she has a very small part in. And another is in an animated movie... so I don't exactly get to see her in that one. This is a problem I really need to do something about. Anyway... it has been a while since I have done a marathon on her. So I thought it was about time to have one.

My Sandra Bullock Collection:
- 28 Days
- Demolition Man
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
- Miss Congeniality
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
- Murder by Numbers
- The Net
- Practical Magic
- Premonition
- The Prince of Egypt (Animated Movie)
- Speed
- Two Week Notice
- The Vanishing (Small Part)
- While You Were Sleeping

If there is anything in this list you would like to see reviewed just let me know and I will do my best to get to it this weekend for you.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Sandra Bullock
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
I am also a fan of hers, but I notice, I only have 12 of her movies.
I am missing "The Lake House" in your collection. Also "Love Potion No.9" could be interesting to you.

From the ones you didn't review yet at some point, I'd like to hear your opinion about "Premonition" and "Two Weeks Notice".
I may join in for one or two movies as well.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
What about "A Time to Kill"?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:57 AM »
I don't have that one yet... will have to put it on my list to buy. :)

The above is all I own of her movies so far... so if it is not on my list then I don't have it yet.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »

Premonition
Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock) has a beautiful house, a loving husband and two adorable daughters. Her life is perfect, until the day she gets the devastating news that her husband Jim (Julian McMahon) has died in a car accident. When she wakes up the next morning to find him alive and well, she assumes it was all a dream. Or was it? Suddenly, her perfect life is turned upside down as she begins a desperate scramble to save her family and uncover the truth. Racing against time and fate, Linda will stop at nothing to discover the true meanings of reality and destiny.

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I watched this movie since I bought a couple years ago. The first time I saw this movie I was less then thrilled with it... and found it more confusing then anything. This time around I found I enjoyed it much more then the first time. It is definitely a movie that demands your full attention. It has a very interesting premise so it is not hard at all to give it the attention it must have. Sandra Bullock was wonderful as always. I personally could have done without Julian McMahon as her husband. Don't get me wrong... he did do a fine job... but there is just something about that actor I just do not like. I don't know what it is... but no matter what I see him in.. his presence somewhat aggravates me. I know... makes no sense... but it is the way I feel about him.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:11:48 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

Two Weeks Notice
Attorney Lucy Kelson wants to save the world. Instead, she's choosing ties and interviewing prospective girlfriends for her handsome and hapless billionaire boss George Wade. Is this why she got a Harvard Law degree? Lucy's fed up, so she submits her notice. But Wade - with an assist from Cupid - has other plans.

Written and directed by Mare Lawrence (Miss Congeniality) Two Weeks Notice is "sweet, sexy, sassy fun!" (Bill Bregoli, Westwood One).

My Thoughts:
Once again... this is only the second time I have watched this movie. It is one I enjoy quite a bit. Though once again the leading man (Hugh Grant) is someone I never really cared for. Matter of fact... out of well over 1.700 DVDs that I have in my collection this is the only thing I have Hugh Grant in. But luckily he didn't bug me in this movie like he normally does... I thought he did a fine job and the character while kinda stupid was likable. Of course Sandra Bullock was great as usual. And the story is fun.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

Practical Magic
Fun and excitement abound in the Owens family of wily witches. One problem, though: the men the Owens women fall in love with are doomed to an untimely death.

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman sparkle in Practical Magic, adapted from Alice Hoffman's bestseller and directed by Griffin Dunne (Addicted to Love). They play Sally and Gillian Owens, sisters hexed by a centuries-old curse...and coping with a witches brew of events involving a possible love match (Aidan Quinn) for one, a zombie (Goran Visnjic) for the other and a need to resume the age-old witchcraft taught by two doting Owens aunts (Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest). Sit for a spell and enjoy!

My Thoughts:
This one I have seen a few times before... but it has been quite a while. In this case I have two of my favorite actresses to watch as I also always liked Nicole Kidman. I have to say... even though I have seen this one a few times before I forgot how much I enjoy this movie. I really liked all the characters and the story is a lot of fun. I also like how it just has the slightest touch of horror elements in it... what with the witches having to deal with an evil spirit. No matter how you want to look at it... it is a good love story and a good supernatural thriller... and even has a nice touch of comedy mixed in for a few small chuckles. Or that could just be me and my warp sense of humor.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »
I haven't watched this movie for years. I might watch it again on Sunday.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:09:48 AM »
I love Practical Magic...and I think it has humor in it too.  I also like Two Weeks Notice.  Haven't watched that one in a while.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »

Title: Practical Magic
Year: 1998
Director: Griffin Dunne
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Nicole Kidman
Stockard Channing
Dianne Wiest
Goran Visnjic

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
When I first saw this movie I was disappointed with it. But when I watched it a second time I found it a lot better. I probably had other expectations when I had first watched it.
The actors are all good. Even most of the child actors. Especially Evan Rachel Wood in one of her first roles.
Now something which you won't find in Pete's review: I liked the music selection. I especially thought that Faith Hill's "This Kiss" was a great choice.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
Oh... was there music?... I didn't notice!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »

28 Days
Gwen Cummings (Sandra Bullock), a successful N.Y. journalist and ultimate party girl, loves to have a good time! Trouble is, she never can tell when she’s had enough.

When Gwen borrows her sister’s (Elizabeth Perkins) wedding limo and plows it into someone’s front porch, the wild life she shares with her boyfriend Jasper (Dominic West) comes to a screeching halt. Earning herself a DUI and a 28-day stretch in rehab. She faces an unthinkable set of rules (no cell phones!) and some strange rituals, like chanting and (gulp!) sharing her feelings.

Joining up with an eccentric group of fellow rehabbers led by the inimitable Counselor Cornell (Steve Buscemi), Gwen embarks on a touching and often hilarious road to recovery, where she learns that life is not always a party, and that real happiness comes from within.

My Thoughts:
While this is a good drama (with some romantic comedy elements) and Sandra Bullock did a wonderful job in this movie... I didn't care for this one quite a much as the previous ones I have watched this weekend. I did like most the characters and the storyline is good. But I don't know... while watching this I just get the feeling it could have... and should have been a bit better. I really can't place my finger on why... but something just felt amiss on it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »

Title: Miss Congeniality
Year: 2000
Director: Donald Petrie
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Michael Caine
Benjamin Bratt
Candice Bergen
William Shatner

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A good comedy with the kind of role that Sandra Bullock does best. This was also the movie I first noticed Michael Caine in. Because of this, he will always be Victor for me.
Also this is one of the movies, where William Shatner plays a great caricature of himself.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
Definitely one of my favorite movies of hers... if not my absolute favorite. I was trying not to watch it for this marathon... but can't help myself... ?I have it on now. But this time I have it on with a commentary with Sandra Bullock (and some other guy  :P)

EDIT:
I just noticed your cover... Miss Undercover? :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »
I just noticed your cover... Miss Undercover? :P
The German title. And if I am honest, I like it better than the original title. They had to change it, because almost nobody in Germany would know what Congeniality means (and it would also be a tongue-twister for most). As a matter of fact, before this movie came out, I had never heard of the term "Miss Congeniality".