Author Topic: Superhero Marathon  (Read 19119 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Marathon
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »

Daredevil
Take the dare as never before with this all-new Director's Cut version of Daredevil. Grittier and edgier than the original theatrical release, Daredevil Director's Cut is packed with never-before-available scenes, including a devilish subplot in which Matt Murdock (Ben Affleck) agrees to defend a not-so-innocent man (Coolio) framed for murder. This is the definitive Daredevil — more thrilling, more amazing, and more daring than ever!

My Thoughts:
I have seen this movie before... but it has been a long time. And then it was only the Theatrical Version of the movie. This is the first time I ever seen the Director's Cut. I definitely noticed quite a bit that was new to this version. And what was added in made the movie better then I remember the theatrical cut being. There is a lot of great fighting in this movie... but I must say my favorite had to be the playful fight between Matt Murdoch and Elektra in the playground. I thought everyone did a fine job in this movie. As for the casting I think they got a couple characters cast perfectly. I couldn't picture anyone else playing either Elektra or Kingpin. Anyway... I enjoyed the movie quite a bit... and thrilled I got it today for Father's Day.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:33 AM »
I have the original release of Daredevil but haven't got around to watching it yet.  I did watch a couple episodes of The Adventures of Superman yesterday, though...and being that I'm a big westerns fan, I found two appropriate episodes that were back-to-back episodes.  First was one that took place in a western town with a bully played by Myron Healey.  Then there was "Flight To The North" featuring none other than Rifleman star Chuck Connors as a backwoodsan named Sylvester J Superman...now, did you ever meet anyone who had the surname of Superman?  One of my favorite lines was him saying "He jumped up in the air and kept on going!"  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »

The Adventures of Captain Marvel
Considered by many to be the finest serial ever made, The Adventures of Captain Marvel chronicles the exploits of "The World's Mightiest Mortal" as he combats The Scorpion, a hooded villain intent on obtaining six optical lenses that, when aligned properly, turn ordinary stones into gold! Highlighting the serial were the fabulous flying sequences by Republic's ace special effects team, Howard and Theodore Lydecker. Combining a wired dummy photographed against real backgrounds in natural sunlight, with spectacular take-ff leaps and landings supplied by action ace, David Sharpe, the final effects are still as fascinating today as they were in 1941. The Adventures of Captain Marvel marked the very first time a comic book superhero's exploits were transferred to the silver screen, and the resulting 12 chapters have yet to be equaled for excitement and entertainment.

Chapter 9. Dead Man's Trap
Billy and Whitey attempt to force Dr. Lang into confessing he is the Scorpion after all evidence points to him. However, the Scorpion is there to head them off.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this chapter. It has a good cliffhanger... I liked the way they did the death trap attached to the safe.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »

The Invincible Iron Man
Past and present collide in this epic adventure that reveals the origin of Iron Man. While raising the ruins of a long buried Chinese kingdom, billionaire inventor Tony Stark digs up far more than he bargained for. He unleashes an age-old prophecy that foretells the resurrection of the Mandarin, the emperor of China's darkest and most violent dynasty. In order to confront the destructive force, Tony creates an armored suit infused with high-tech weaponry. To stop the evil that he himself has raised form the earth, Tony must become his greatest invention ever — Iron Man! The newly born champion must travel to the four corners of the earth to battle the Mandarin's henchmen, the Elementals — four magical warriors who harness the power of the elements — earth, water, wind, and fire — with deadly chemistry. But is the Iron Knight, as he his known in the prophecy, strong enough to defy fate and turn back the malevolent forces hell-bent on earth's destruction?

My Thoughts:
While I did like the storyline of this movie... I didn't care for it nearly as much as I did the live action movie. I was a little surprised they retold the origins of Iron Man in this cartoon... this time taking place in China. I also didn't care for the idea of supernatural villains for Iron Man. Though I was happily surprised with the length of this one. As most of the animated superhero movies I have collected so far has been just barely over an hour... this one is closer to a normal movie... clocking in at almost an hour and a half. And the DVD has a nice little collection of extras as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »

The Adventures of Captain Marvel
Considered by many to be the finest serial ever made, The Adventures of Captain Marvel chronicles the exploits of "The World's Mightiest Mortal" as he combats The Scorpion, a hooded villain intent on obtaining six optical lenses that, when aligned properly, turn ordinary stones into gold! Highlighting the serial were the fabulous flying sequences by Republic's ace special effects team, Howard and Theodore Lydecker. Combining a wired dummy photographed against real backgrounds in natural sunlight, with spectacular take-ff leaps and landings supplied by action ace, David Sharpe, the final effects are still as fascinating today as they were in 1941. The Adventures of Captain Marvel marked the very first time a comic book superhero's exploits were transferred to the silver screen, and the resulting 12 chapters have yet to be equaled for excitement and entertainment.

Chapter 10. Doom Ship
The surviving members of the Malcolm Expedition return to Siam to try and stop the Scorpion's plans.

My Thoughts:
With this chapter watched... there is only two chapters left to watch. I enjoyed this chapter a lot. Even though he is a small man... they proved that Billy Batson is pretty tough in his own right. Unlike a lot of Superhero shows where the alter ego is usually portrayed as a weak good for nothing. They made it so Billy Batson does need to turn into Captain Marvel to handle every little problem. The cliffhanger in this episode while is a good one... the solution is very obvious.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »

Spider-Man 2
Two years have passed since the mild-mannered Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) walked away from his longtime love Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and decided to take the road to responsibility as Spider-Man. Peter must face new challenges as he struggles to cope with "the gift and the curse" of his powers while balancing his dual identities as the elusive superhero Spider-Man and life as a college student. The relationships Peter holds most dear are now in danger of unraveling as he clashes with the powerful, multi-tentacled villain Doctor Octopus aka "Doc Ock" (Alfred Molina).

Peter's life-long yearning for M.J. becomes even stronger as he fights the impulse to abandon his secret life and declare his love. In the meantime, M.J. has moved on with her life. She has embarked on an acting career and has a new man in her life. Peter's relationship with his best friend Harry Osborn (James Franco) has been overshadowed by Harry's growing vendetta against Spider-Man, whom he holds responsible for his father's death.

Peter's life becomes even more complicated when he is pitted against the powerful new nemesis, "Doc Ock." Peter must now learn to accept his fate and harness all his superhero talents in order to stop this diabolical madman in his octagonal tracks.

My Thoughts:
Even though I still enjoyed this movie very much... I never cared for it as much as the first one.... almost... but not as much. I don't like the whole storyline of Peter Parker loosing his ability for a while. And once again I don't like that so many people got to see Spider-Man without his mask on... which is something that I hate about all the Spider-Man movies (It been a long time... but if I remember right it also happens in part 3). The only person that I can accept seeing him without his mask is Mary Jane. To me that felt right. But Doc Ock, Harry and the train full of people shouldn't have happened. Well maybe Harry as it was really needed for the storyline. But that is it. Even though they never said it in the movie... you also get the feeling that Aunt May also knows about Peter being Spider-Man. I did however really enjoy seeing him go up against Doc Ock. I thought they did a good job with him. I also like that we see Professor Connor. I was hoping we would have the Lizard as a villain by the 3rd one... but unfortunately not meant to be. Maybe in the next one. I just hope they stop having him pull off his mask in front of everyone.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete