Author Topic: Superhero Marathon  (Read 19114 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Superhero Marathon
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
Oh yes, Flash Gordon would be a great addition to your collection.  The movie is a bit silly, but it is very entertaining.  Definitely worth seeing.

Here's the version I have..I found it on sale last year, I think at Amazon.  There aren't many extras, but I'm still glad I got it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

A classic it sure is. One that was badly treated at its release and didn't deserve this at all ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »
But I really mean it, do not click the following spoiler!
(click to show/hide)

I'm a Baaa-aad Boy! I peaked!  :P Sounds like the movie I fell asleep on in High School!  :P But don't worry... I would still give it another try!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »
 :redcard: :P

Hopefully, you'd see it now as all part of the fun. If you ask me, there is no better band in the world ever than the mighty Queen... but Flash is camper than a row of tents, so you have to take it tongue in cheek and then it's simply wonderful.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
:redcard: :P

Hopefully, you'd see it now as all part of the fun. If you ask me, there is no better band in the world ever than the mighty Queen... but Flash is camper than a row of tents, so you have to take it tongue in cheek and then it's simply wonderful.

:hysterical: I love that line! (row of tents)  :hysterical:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
It's on sale again at Amazon.  Here's a link and everything.  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-Saviour-Universe-Jones/dp/B000PMGS8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243370562&sr=1

hmmmm... not sure I would call $15 on a $20 DVD much of a sale. I will probably wait till it is under $10 before I pick it up. (preferably quite a bit below). :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 10:53:03 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-Saviour-Universe-Jones/dp/B000PMGS8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243370562&sr=1

hmmmm... not sure I would call $15 on a $20 DVD much of a sale. I will probably wait till it is under $10 before I pick it up. (preferably quite a bit below). :P

Pick pick.  It's still a sale.  :p  and it's an entertaining movie..way better than Date Movie. ;)  Though I remember you paid way less for that one.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
Flash Gordon is certainly a Guilty Pleasure but as such worth watching. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

Yeah... if I find Flash Gordon in Walmart's Bargain Bin it will be mine!  :P

Pick pick.  It's still a sale.  :p  and it's an entertaining movie..way better than Date Movie. ;)  Though I remember you paid way less for that one.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 11:48:35 PM »
Marketplace is your friend in those case where you are not sure.
New = $9.40
Used = $6.75

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »
It's $14.79 ar DeepDiscount.com and their 20% sale should be coming up soon :clap:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »

The Adventures of Captain Marvel
Considered by many to be the finest serial ever made, The Adventures of Captain Marvel chronicles the exploits of "The World's Mightiest Mortal" as he combats The Scorpion, a hooded villain intent on obtaining six optical lenses that, when aligned properly, turn ordinary stones into gold! Highlighting the serial were the fabulous flying sequences by Republic's ace special effects team, Howard and Theodore Lydecker. Combining a wired dummy photographed against real backgrounds in natural sunlight, with spectacular take-ff leaps and landings supplied by action ace, David Sharpe, the final effects are still as fascinating today as they were in 1941. The Adventures of Captain Marvel marked the very first time a comic book superhero's exploits were transferred to the silver screen, and the resulting 12 chapters have yet to be equaled for excitement and entertainment.

Chapter 3: Time Bomb
Betty is kidnapped by the Scorpion's henchmen and sent adrift in a driverless vehicle

My Thoughts:
Another good chapter with a great cliffhanger. One thing I could never understand about these superhero shows. One of the bad guys are shooting at Captain Marvel... and the bullets just bounce off him... just like they do on Superman. But yet right after bullets bouncing off him... the same bad guy breaks a chair over his head and he stumbles backwards and is knocked out. Oh well... these shows are not perfect... but they are a lot of fun.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »

Underdog
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a frog...no, it's Disney's 'Underdog' - a flying, talking canine caped crusader! After an accident in the mysterious lab of mad scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister, an ordinary beagle named Shoeshine finds himself with extraordinary powers... and the ability to talk! Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capital City and, in particular, a beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebred. When a diabolical plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad threatens to destroy Capital City, only Underwear...(oops!)...Underdog can save the day. Based on the original hit animated series 'Underdog' - your family will love watching the next great hero take a big bite out of crime.

My Thoughts:
My daughter and I decided to watch a movie together this morning. We picked Underdog since I am already doing a bit of a Superhero marathon off and on here lately. The cartoons this is based on were pretty bad for anyone but the younger kids.... but the movie is a good, fun movie for the entire family! I really enjoyed every minute of it. This movie is a great addition for any family library.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:42 PM »

The Adventures of Captain Marvel
Considered by many to be the finest serial ever made, The Adventures of Captain Marvel chronicles the exploits of "The World's Mightiest Mortal" as he combats The Scorpion, a hooded villain intent on obtaining six optical lenses that, when aligned properly, turn ordinary stones into gold! Highlighting the serial were the fabulous flying sequences by Republic's ace special effects team, Howard and Theodore Lydecker. Combining a wired dummy photographed against real backgrounds in natural sunlight, with spectacular take-ff leaps and landings supplied by action ace, David Sharpe, the final effects are still as fascinating today as they were in 1941. The Adventures of Captain Marvel marked the very first time a comic book superhero's exploits were transferred to the silver screen, and the resulting 12 chapters have yet to be equaled for excitement and entertainment.

Chapter 4: Death Takes the Wheel
Billy Batson is held captive in an Oriental henchman's vault. The Scorpion didn't count on Captain Marvel ruining his plans.

My Thoughts:
This is a good chapter... but not as good as some of the others. Pretty much this whole chapter felt more like filler to me then anything else. The cliffhanger for this one is only OK... it is just a "Will Captain Marvel get there in time?" cliffhanger. I haven't mentioned anything on the quality of this dvd yet... it is impressively good. only minor problems with the image here and there... and very good sound. Over all it is very crisp and clear. They did a good job remastering this serial.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete