Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 11977 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 02:03:14 AM »
Really? that is interesting... a good friend of mine just told me she liked the sequel a lot... maybe even a little better then the first. I will have to see for myself I guess.  :P I told her to add it to my B'day wishlist I gave her... so there is a pretty good chance I may get it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:29:28 AM »
Really? that is interesting... a good friend of mine just told me she liked the sequel a lot... maybe even a little better then the first. I will have to see for myself I guess.  :P I told her to add it to my B'day wishlist I gave her... so there is a pretty good chance I may get it.

It was yet another poor Aliens rip-off, with useless characters you forget instantly, including, crucially, the mutants. In the first film you didn't see a huge amount about the mutants but understood there were different personalities and a hierarchy, plus a point to what they were doing. In the second one, they're just... there. :shrug: Like I said, it had its moments, just not enough of them and absolutely nothing to rival the audacity of part 1, which is saying something when it's a remake.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 03:36:55 AM »
But the real question is : Does the dog is the main character and get a long flasback too? :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 04:34:59 AM »
No problem, I am used to talking to myself.  :P

I love Lord of the Rings....so you can talk to me. :lol
Unless I have committed some other offense that will get me banned. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »

The Phantom Creeps
Chapter 3: Crashing Towers
Relive the thrills of classic sci-fi adventure with 12 episodes of Phantom Creeps, on of TV's most memorable series! Dr. Alex Zorka (Bela Lugosi) is a brilliant mad scientist out to torment the world with invention after invention of disturbing devices. No one can stop him - police, government, reporters, or foreign spies - all pitted against the wicked connivings of Dr. Zorka in an unending battle against evil! This television series features superb performances by Lugosi as well as Robert Kent as Captain Bob West and Dorothy Arnold  as an eager young reporter. A fan favorite with an unforgettable ending.

My Thoughts:
The third chapter was a bit slow for my taste. The quality was better then the second  chapter but not as good as the first. And the chapter ended in a decent... but not what I would call thrilling cliffhanger. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what is to come. One thing I did notice is that the chapters are running longer then most serials I have seen to date. So far every chapter has been at least 20 minutes long. Every other serial I have seen to date the chapters have an average of about 16 minutes per chapter.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

Hellbound: Book of the Dead
While living in a small costal town, Lane and Diane are about to have their lives torn apart by an ancient book of magic that was originally created to bring the dead back to life. In her desperate attempt to resurrect her dead sister, Diane accidentally kills a man. When Lane decides to dismember the victim with the intention of tossing his pieces into the bay, the spell begins to kick in.

My Thoughts:
This is part of Hostile Hauntings... a low-budget horror movie set I have containing 6 movies. This movie is also known as Cadaver Bay. For the most part I am disappointed as the storyline had potential to be more then what it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong... as there is some good points in this movie. They really try hard at supplying the right atmosphere even though they failed. But there is some decent effects... the bad acting could have been worse. They seemed to have tried... but felt like a movie created by a first year film student.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
I decided that due to the fact that I am just not getting enough movies watched to continue it the way I started I am going to set the movie serial aside for this weekend and return to it at a later date. I am doing this for a couple of reasons. But mainly because at the current way I am doing this I would have to watch 12 movies to go along with the 12 chapters... and I just don't think that will be possible this weekend. Especially with each chapter being longer then what I normally see in serials. I just think I rather spend my time getting as many movies as I can fit in watched this weekend. I think I will save the serials for more special marathons that I do.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 06:28:12 PM »

Creature from Black Lake
John David Carson (Empire of the Ants) and Dennis Fimple (Petticoat Junction) play two students tracking in the Louisiana backwoods in search of a mysterious, legendary creature.

Ignoring warnings by the local sheriff they team up with Dub Taylor and his grandson, whose parents were killed in an auto wreck after witnessing the beast. Suddenly one of the students disappears and deadly confrontation ensues...

My Thoughts:
Another total blind buy... but I got it so cheap I couldn't help myself. This one was actually less then $4... new. It is a movie that was made back in the mid '70s. I have definitely seen better... but this movie did keep my attention. It is one that I was able to enjoy. It is actually one of the first Big Foot movies I ever watched. It had some good atmosphere and I did like how they barely showed the creature... making you use your imagination on what he really looks like close up.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »

12 Monkeys
In this science fiction masterpiece, Cole (Bruce Willis) is sent back in time to save the human race from a deadly virus that has forced mankind into dank underground communities in the future. Along his travels, he encounters a psychiatrist (Madeleine Stowe) and a mental patient, brilliantly portrayed by Brad Pitt, who may hold the key to the mysterious rogue group, The Army of the 12 Monkeys, thought to be responsible for unleashing the killer disease. Believing he can obtain a pure virus sample in order to find a cure in the future, he is met with one riddle after another that puts him in a race for time.

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I blind bought recently. Never even seeing the trailer before buying it. Some decent stars in this movie. I like Bruce Willis... I am not too familiar with Madeline Stowe, but everything I have seen her in to date I have enjoyed. Brad Pitt has always been hit and miss in my eyes. I always thought him to be a somewhat over-rated actor. Though he can be good at times. I did like him in Fight Club, Interview with a Vampire and Seven. And I have to admit... he was right good in this one as well. After watching the trailer I was a little concerned this movie would be a bit on the confusing side. But it really wasn't. It was really an interesting, enjoyable movie. Maybe it was a little on the slow side in some parts. But not terribly so. Over-all I am glad I added it to my collection... and for a very cheap price too.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322uZ5OO-WE
Pete