Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 11975 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« on: April 24, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Unwatched DVDs
This weekend I wanted to work on my unwatched DVD shelf. Clear it off a bit what with my Birthday coming and I am expecting to get a fairly nice selection of DVDs this year. Well... hoping at least. Some of the movies I may have seen before... just not on DVD. But for the most part I am sure this will be movies that I never seen before.

I also decided to watch one of my unwatched movie serials in between each movie again this weekend. I will watch one chapter before each of the movies I watch this weekend. This time I chose The Phantom Creeps starring Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist out to torment the world. So this weekend I decided to watch...

The Phantom Creeps
Chapter 1: The Menacing Power
Relive the thrills of classic sci-fi adventure with 12 episodes of Phantom Creeps, on of TV's most memorable series! Dr. Alex Zorka (Bela Lugosi) is a brilliant mad scientist out to torment the world with invention after invention of disturbing devices. No one can stop him - police, government, reporters, or foreign spies - all pitted against the wicked connivings of Dr. Zorka in an unending battle against evil! This television series features superb performances by Lugosi as well as Robert Kent as Captain Bob West and Dorothy Arnold  as an eager young reporter. A fan favorite with an unforgettable ending.

My Thoughts:
I originally wanted this serial on the star power of Bela Lugosi alone. The first chapter is a good one... especially considering that it is the chapter to set up the entire serial... introducing us to all the main characters. Bela Lugosi was great as the mad scientist. I also enjoyed an actress by the name of Dorothy Arnold who played Jean Drew, the reporter out for a huge story. The first chapter alone had a giant robot, an invisibility belt, spiders activating suspended animation as well as car and plane crashes. Ending in a good cliffhanger. I have a feeling this will be an enjoyable serial.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0x4EbDIjNQ
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

50 First Dates
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore star together for the first time since The Wedding Singer in one of the funniest romantic comedies in years.

Henry Roth (Sandler) lives an enviable life in a Hawaiian paradise, spending every night with a beautiful tourist in search of an island fling. It's a sweet life with no strings attached...until he meets Lucy (Barrymore). He and Lucy hit it off from the get-go, but the next day she acts like she doesn't know him. Has his karma come around to kick him in the butt or what? Actually, Lucy has short-term memory loss, so every night all memory of her day is erased. But a man in love will go to any lengths to win over the girl of his dreams, and if that means having to find imaginative ways of doing it over again every day, then Henry's up for the challenge.

Rob Schneider (Big Daddy) and Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) co-star in 50 FIRST DATES, which will win you over every time you watch it!

My Thoughts:
I thought I would start my movies out with 50 First Dates. I know of a lot of people that dislike Adam Sandler... but I personally have always enjoyed his movies. I also have enjoyed Drew Barrymore in most the stuff I have seen her in... so when I saw this one in the bargain bin of the local Wal-mart I was pretty quick to grab it. I know I have seen this one once before when it was first released... but really don't remember much about it. But I was pretty sure it was one I enjoyed. After watching it today I realized yes I did enjoy this movie... Very much so... even more then I remembered! It is definitely a more mature comedy then a lot of other Adam Sandler movies. Drew Barrymore was great as the cute and sweet girl next door with no short term memory. I also loved how they ended this movie. They opted to make it more realistic instead of trying to pull off some sort of miracle cure for Lucy. Was there anything I didn't like about this movie? Sure... there is the walrus vomit joke which would have fit in many Sandler movies... but just didn't belong in this one... then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice. And lastly I didn't care much for Lucy's brother. But all that is really minor... and didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie much... if at all. I would say even if you do not usually enjoy Adam Sandler movies... give this one a chance... you may be surprised.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErjP5xMTc8I
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
... then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice.
Pete you don't like music, even if she had the most wonderfull singing voice you will find it always horrible :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
And lastly I didn't care much for Lucy's brother.

Hey! That's Samwise Gamgee you are talking about!

then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7mBXNSoyA0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:04:29 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
... then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice.
Pete you don't like music, even if she had the most wonderfull singing voice you will find it always horrible :laugh:

:laugh: True... but even I can tell the difference between a good and bad singing voice. A bad singing voice makes it twice as hard to ignore the song!   :P

And lastly I didn't care much for Lucy's brother.

Hey! That's Samwise Gamgee you are talking about!

uhhhh... ok.  :P Never was much of a fan of the Lord of the Ring movies...  and I definitely didn't care for this character. What I know Sean Astin from the best is season 5 of 24... I did enjoy him in that.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »
Never was much of a fan of the Lord of the Ring movies

Seems that I have to use the forum ban after all....  :devil:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »
then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice.

Trivia for the movie "Everyone Says I Love You":
"The actors sing their own songs except for Drew Barrymore, who convinced Woody Allen that her singing was too awful even for the realistic singing voices he was after. She said she doesn't even sing in the shower."

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:24:18 PM »

Then you will have to ban me too  :tease:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
No problem, I am used to talking to myself.  :P
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »

Sure... sure... ban me... but you all know you would miss me! After all... October will be here before too long... and who else could you torture about not watching horror for a good month or so before!  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »
uhhhh... ok.  :P Never was much of a fan of the Lord of the Ring movies...  and I definitely didn't care for this character. What I know Sean Astin from the best is season 5 of 24... I did enjoy him in that.

ARGH! Double-crime! You fiend! :redcard:

Not only are we talking Samwise Gamgee. We're also talking Mikey! From The Goonies! Hang your head in shame... :weep:

If there were a Top Trumps game of movie characters, the Mikey card would have the highest score of Astin's roles.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »

The Phantom Creeps
Chapter 2: Death Stalks the Highways
Relive the thrills of classic sci-fi adventure with 12 episodes of Phantom Creeps, on of TV's most memorable series! Dr. Alex Zorka (Bela Lugosi) is a brilliant mad scientist out to torment the world with invention after invention of disturbing devices. No one can stop him - police, government, reporters, or foreign spies - all pitted against the wicked connivings of Dr. Zorka in an unending battle against evil! This television series features superb performances by Lugosi as well as Robert Kent as Captain Bob West and Dorothy Arnold  as an eager young reporter. A fan favorite with an unforgettable ending.

My Thoughts:
The second chapter isn't quite as good as the first... but still enjoyable. Another good cliffhanger at the end of course. After all that is how they got them to come back each week! Unfortunately the quality of this chapter wasn't as good as the first either. the was several problems through-out the chapter in the video and a few seconds of hissing in the audio. It was still watchable... but was aggravating all the same.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »

ARGH! Double-crime! You fiend! :redcard:

Not only are we talking Samwise Gamgee. We're also talking Mikey! From The Goonies! Hang your head in shame... :weep:

If there were a Top Trumps game of movie characters, the Mikey card would have the highest score of Astin's roles.

OK... I admit it... you have me there... he was definitely great in The Goonies!  So I liked him in The Goonies and then in the fifth season of 24. All better now?  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 12:47:51 AM »

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The shock-a-minute chiller that scared the 'hill' out of audiences around the world takes terror to the next level in this Unrated Special Edition including additional footage not shown in theaters and DVD special features to die for!

A cross-country road trip takes a deadly turn in this spine-tingling remake of Wes Craven's classic horror masterpiece about a stranded family that falls prey to a freakish clan of bloodthirsty mutants in the New Mexico desert. Packed with gut-wrenching gore, ghastly makeup effects and heart-stopping suspense, 'The Hills Have Eyes' will keep you on the edge of your seat - and your sanity!

My Thoughts:
This was a complete blind buy... never even seen the trailer before buying it the other day. Before watching a movie I always (Whenever Possible) watch the trailer first whether it is on the disc or if I have to find it online. The first thing I noticed when I watched the trailer today is that Emilie de Ravin is in the movie. I first became aware of her in the TV Series Roswell. Then I also notice Ted Levine who I know from the TV Series Monk. So I was happy to see that there will be a familiar face or two in it to watch. In the credits I also saw the name Billy Drago who I have become a fan of over the years. I first notice as The Demon of Fear on Charmed. Though I didn't notice him in the movie itself... so I imagine he was one of the ones that was buried under a whole lot of prosthetic make-up. I never seen the original to compare this to... but that may be a good thing because I was able to judge this movie on it's own merits alone... and I must say I enjoyed every minute of it. I have the Unrated version... and they definitely wasn't shy with gore in this movie!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O76m3kpgPTQ
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
I really enjoyed this too, Pete, but the sequel was very poor, except for a couple of brief moments. I haven't convinced myself to watch the original yet, although I do have it.

It's in my Wes Craven boxset...   :laugh: