Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies  (Read 15628 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
TV Stars in Movies
One thing I always liked while watching movies is spotting actors that I know from different TV Series. So this weekend I thought I would do a marathon of movies that has actors I know from several of the TV Series in my collection. I will be using the TV Series stars as well as some of the recurring cast that I like from some of the series. Now how big of a part they will actually have in the movies I watch id to be determined. As most the time I won't really know till I watch it. Though I will do my best to stay away from small roles such as cameo appearances. So this weekend I watched...

Nightmare at Bittercreek
In a deadly battle for survival, four women are hunted by a ruthless group of killers they accidentally stumble upon while camping.

When it becomes clear that the deadly trackers have no intention of allowing them to leave the mountain alive, the women quickly realize that they will need to take matters into their own hands.

TV Stars:
Lindsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman)
Tom Skerritt (Picket Fences)

My Thoughts:
This is a TV Movie from 1988. It is a movie I got free (just paid for shipping) back in 2006. I grabbed it up because I been a fan of Lindsay Wagner for years from when I used to watch the reruns of The Bionic Woman. While I have seen better... this is a movie I enjoyed quite a bit. Sure... you can tell this was made on a TV Movie budget... but I think they did a fine job putting it together. The DVD itself leaves some to be desired. Good (but far from great) transfer and no extras what so ever. From what I can tell... this DVD has been discontinued (OOP) But if you are interested in this one you should be able to get it cheap (amazon marketplace from $2.32 right now).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0kX3UogK4A
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »

Baby's Day Out
Baby Bink is out on the town for the day, visiting wonderous places and seeing fantastic sights. The only problem is he is traveling alone! Frantically hunted by his mother (Lara Flynn Boyle) and turned into a celebrity by the media, Baby Bink stays one step ahead of a trio of bumbling con artists (led by Joe Mantegna) eager to collect the reward money being offered by his wealthy parents. Cool, calm, collected and totally unaware of the havoc he wreaks, Baby Bink's day trip is a hilarious mix of comedy and ground-breaking special effects.

TV Stars:
Joe Mantegna (Joan of Arcadia)
Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City)

My Thoughts:
Mixed feeling on this one. I did enjoy it for what it is. A completely silly and unrealistic movie. It is just a bit too silly for my taste. Sure... there is some good scenes with some decent slapstick comedy that gave me some good chuckles. But I personally think that kids will get more enjoyment from this movie then most adults would. It took me a bit to recognize Cynthia Nixon in this movie for some reason... but then I finally seen it. She played the baby's nanny.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzow5wUp7hY
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »

Stephen King's Sleepwalkers
Only Stephen King, the dark genius behind Misery, The Shining and Pet Sematary, could have written STEPHEN KING'S SLEEPWALKERS, a classic horror story that takes a perfect Norman Rockwell town and turns it inside out.

Brian Krause and Alice Krige star in this terrifying tale of modern-day vampires who prey on virtuous young women. Mädchen Amick is the sexually curious virgin who falls for the new boy in school (Brian Krause), only to learn too late that he's a life-sucking Sleepwalker. Mutating at will from golden boy to savage monster, Krause stalks Amick to feed his seductive mother. As the tension mounts (and the casualties pile up), the town's tabbies gather for a final, chilling showdown with the monsters in their midst - and we all know it's not nice to hurt people's felines... With cameo appearances by Stephen King and Clive Barker, STEPHEN KING's SLEEPWALKERS is "sexy, sleek, and horrifyingly scary. The most frightening Stephen King movie yet!" (Jim Whaley, Cinema Showcase)

TV Star:
Brian Krause (Charmed)

My Thoughts:
Felt like it was about time to add a little horror to my marathon. As most of you know... I love movies based on Stephen King's books. I usually go out of my way to collect them. Though I am still missing a few. This one I do enjoy a lot... but it is not the best of his I have seen. I like that this one stars Brian Krause of Charmed. This movie is 6 years before the series... so I of course didn't know who he was the first time I seen this movie. Anyway... I found this to be a very good (though not great) horror movie. It is one I try to watch at least once per year since I added it to my collection.

My Ratings:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX16HZ5RYLM
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

Valentine
Revenge is sweet, just like a Valentine bonbon. At least, that is what a vengeful, Cupid-masked killer thinks. Be my Valentine...or else. Broken hearts and other mortal wounds await a cast of contemporary young stars when they play dating-scene veterans dying for love in this humor-laced, twist-filled thriller cleverly directed by Jamie Blanks (Urban Legend) and starring David Boreanaz (TV's Angel), Denise Richards (The World Is Not Enough), Marley Shelton (Sugar & Spice), Katherine Heigl (TV's Roswell) and more. Cards, candy and flowers are nice. But for fans of stalker-shocker terror, there's nothing like a Valentine.

TV Stars:
David Boreanaz (Angel/Bones)
Katherine Heigl (Roswell/Grey's Anatomy)

My Thoughts:
This is one I haven't watched since I first bought the movie 6 years ago... so I went into this one without remembering much of anything... and with low expectations...as the one thing I do remember is that this movie was not well received.... or mixed reviews at best. When I first got this movie I had no idea who David Boreanaz or Katherine Heigl were... as I got into their TV Shows late. While this is not the best slasher movie I ever seen... I did enjoy it. Unfortunately Katherine Heigl really didn't last all that long in the movie. Was hardly worth having her in it.  Other then the fact that of course she looked absolutely gorgeous. This is one I will have to keep in mind... maybe make it an annual viewing for Valentine's Day. Would probably make a good companion piece to watch with My Bloody Valentine.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlKhyH2uDYg
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »

Category 7: End of the World
As a deadly category 6 storm descends upon the Earth, unleashing violent winds, hurricane force pressure, and devistating tornadoes, officials scramble to pinpoint the cause. Though global warming is suspect, beautiful but discredited scientst Faith Clavell (Shannen Doherty—Mallrats, TV's Charmed) realizes that something else is triggering the extreme weather. Teaming up with storm chaser Tommy Tornado (Emmy® nominee Randy Quaid—Brokeback Mountain, Elvis) and Judith Carr (Gina Gershon—Sinatra, Face/Off) head of FEMA, Faith realizes they must enter the storm itself if they hope to stop it. While the country is at it's most vulnerable, the government becomes aware that it is the target of a terrorist organization. Now, it's not only man against nature, but man against manas an intensified Category 7 approaches...

TV Stars:
Shannen Doherty (Charmed)
Tom Skerritt (Picket Fences)
Rachel Skarsten (Birds of Prey)

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever watched this one. It is actually a TV Miniseries that I missed when it originally aired. It is a sequel to the miniseries Category 6: Day of Destruction. I got this miniseries (along with Category 6) from a friend for Christmas this past year. I remember feeling that on Category 6 the storm effects being hit and miss... but they improved on that for this one. I enjoyed Category 7 more then I did the first one. Though I do feel that the added storyline of the kidnapped teens, while it added suspense, it was not needed.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.videodetective.com/TitleDetails.aspx?publishedid=00532173
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:08:20 AM »
As most of you know... I love movies based on Stephen King's books.
This isn't based on a book, Stephen King had written an original scenario for this film. I have seen this one at its theatrical released and the only thing I can remember is the CORN murder. After that I was unable to stop laughing and I've quit the theatre to not disturb the other peoples watching it. Maybe I will try to buy it one day to see how it ends.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:06 AM »
cool... never realized that he wrote any specifically for the screen.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »

Night Scream
Driven by unexplainable nightmares of a violent murder, Drew Summers (Candace Cameron Bure) mysteriously arrives in the small town of Steveston, Oregon, on the first anniversary of the death of Laura Fairgate - a young woman who died with her boyfriend (Casper Van Dien) in a murder/suicide that rocked the town.

Ray Ordwell (Denis Arndt), Laura's stepfather, is just concluding a moving speech to launch a week-long festival in his stepdaughter's honor when Drew approaches the stage in a trance-like state and announces that she's Laura. Laura's mother Julie (Teri Garr) wants desperately to believe that Drew really is possessed by her daughter's spirit, but the townspeople, who want nothing more than to put the tragedy behind them, believe Drew is simply putting on an act.

As she confronts a conspiracy of silence from the Steveston residents and the town sheriff (Bobby Hosea), Drew starts to question her sanity. With increasingly vivid images to spur her on, she begins to uncover clues into the strange murder/suicide mystery. But the closer Drew gets to the truth, the more in danger she is of learning what happened to Laura - the hard way

TV Star:
Candace Cameron Bure (Full House)

My Thoughts:
This is another of the many TV Movies I have in my collection. I know that there is a lot of people that don't like TV Movies. But I actually hunt them out. Sure... they don't have the kind of budget that theatrical releases have... but there is some really good stories told in TV movies. This is definitely one of them. This is a good ghost story and murder mystery rolled into one. I really enjoyed Candace Cameron Bure in this movie. She did a fine job playing the duel roll of Laura and Drew. This is the second time I have watched this movie (the first during my October Horror Marathon)... and I enjoyed this one just as much now as I did the first time I saw it. If I had one problem with this movie it would be that it tries to be scarier then it is... or even needs to be. They add eerie music to scenes to try and make it frightening... It is, in my opinion, fine as a movie as it is without trying to scare you. The DVD itself is nothing that special... it is no more then just the movie. No extras what so ever. The only menu options on this DVD is Play Movie and Scene Selection. But at least it is a cheap movie... when I bought it I got it on sale for $3.99... and if you are interested you can get a copy now for $6.99. I definitely recommend it... that is if you don't mind watching TV Movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »

Awakenings
Robert De Niro (in a 1990 Oscar®-nominated performance for Best Actor) and Robin Williams star in this powerful, true story of a maverick doctor and the patients whose lives he changes.

Williams plays Dr. Malcolm Sayer, a shy research physician who uses an experimental drug to "awaken" the catatonic victims of a rare disease. De Niro co-stars as Leonard, the first patient to receive the controversial treatment. His awakening, filled with awe and enthusiasm, proves a rebirth for Sayer, too, as the exuberant patient reveals life's simple – but unutterable sweet – pleasures to the introverted doctor. Encouraged by Leonard's stunning recovery, Sayer administers the drug to other patients. The story of their friendship during this emotional journey is a testament to both the tenderness of the human heart and the strength of the human soul.

TV Star:
Robin Williams (Mork & Mindy)

My Thoughts:
Even though this is a genre I don't normally enjoy... this is a very good drama. This is the first non-comedy I ever seen Robin Williams in. And I must admit he surprised me at the time. He proved he is more then a stand-up... he really can act as well. Even with that said.. I personally still prefer his zany style of comedy over him in a drama. Robert De Niro was excellent in this as always. What makes this more interesting to me then most pure dramas is the fact that it is based on a true story. Only downside to this DVD release is there is no extras what so ever.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURflBxeTyI
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
 Buckle up and prepare for a ride that's out of this world! When Earth is threatened with imminent destruction, an out-of-shape, out-of-work and over-the-hill former superhero is called back into action to save the day.

That hero is Jack Sheppard a.k.a "Captain Zoom" (Tim Allen). The problem is he's lost all his powers. And now, it's up to General Larraby (Rip Torn) and Dr. Grant (Chevy Chase) to coax him into taking one more mission: train a ragtag bunch of kids with amazing superpowers of their own. With help from the brainy Marsha Holloway (Courteney Cox), they'll learn to work as a team and harness their powers to battle an evil menace who's determined to make one seriously huge mess of life as we know it.

TV Stars:
Tim Allen (Home Improvement)
Courtney Cox (Friends)

My Thoughts:
This morning my daughter wanted to watch a couple movies with me. So I told her to pick out something from her list for us to watch together. This is what she picked. I have read a few reviews of this movie... and every one of them basically said this movie sucked. I can't agree with that though. You do have to remember that this movie is more geared towards the family... especially with kids in mind... but it is a fun movie to watch. You just can't expect anything more from it then that. Just a fun... leave your brain at the door type superhero movie. If you expect anything more then that... yes you will be disappointed. But if you go in expecting nothing more then a good time with a handful of laughs I think you will enjoy it. Of course my daughter loved every minute of it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ufzHIhaJg
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »
Courtney Cox (Friends)
This somehow reminded me of a TV show from the 80's where Courtney played some sort of superhero, together with 2 or 3 others. Kind of like "Fantasic Four", actually... What's the name of that show and is it available on DVD?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 07:02:21 AM »
Misfit of Science from 1985

Unreleased on dvd yet (I can't find a release, but maybe Pete can)

You can buy it on vhs at Amazon, but the price is certainly not a budget one

Amazon link

edit
It looks like a German release of the serie exist. Just click, I can't understand anything but you sure can.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:44:12 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
I watched Misfits of Science when it was on too.  I was very irked when it got canceled.  If I remember right, a couple of other shows I really liked got canceled that year too.

If I remember right, Cox's character's name was Gloria and she was telekinetic.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
Yeah... I used to watch Misfits of Science too... I would love to see it come out on DVD here!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:13:53 AM »
I know I'd get it..I really liked the show when it was on.