Author Topic: Columbia House (Canada ?)  (Read 3722 times)

Touti

Columbia House (Canada ?)
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
Following a post I just made in another topic I thought maybe I should start a new topic more specific to that.

Two weeks ago I signed up for Columbia House Canada's DVD club to buy Blu-Ray movies.  As part of the sign up process I was entitled to 4 movies at 1$, one purchased toward my obligations at 19.95$ and one bonus purchase at 14.95$

I ordered

I am Legend
Twister
The Reader
The Wrestler
Milk
American Gangster

Today I received my package and there was only two movies in it, I am Legend and Twister.  There was also 4 certificates for free DVD's that are valid for 30 days and on my invoice it said that "the items listed below were not available as enrollments item" and that I can use the enclosed certificates to get 4 dvd's for free.

There's a few things that bother me in this.

1: I was expecting 6 Blu-Ray movies to watch while I'm on vacation next week and I'll only have two.  On top of that, out of 6 movies that I ordered there was only one I have seen before (Twister) and it's one I received so it only leaves me with one "new" movie.

2: I only received my Membership Guide with the certificates, my invoice and a few flyers with hardly any blu-ray movies in it.  I don't have a full catalog yet so am I supposed to choose and order movies withing 30 days ?   Is this a trick to save money by forcing me to get cheaper movies ?

3: There is no explanation of what "unavailable as enrollment items" means and whether or not I just use the certificates to re-order the same movies.  It also doesn't says if I have to chosse from the flyers they sent or if I can go online to consult the catalog and order any movies I want.

This leaves a bitter tastes, it looks like Columbia hasn't changed since I was a member over 10 years ago and that, as always, nothing is ever smooth with them and nothing is ever what it appears to be.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia House (Canada ?)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
I've had so many trouble with them when I was a teenager. It was so hard to get rid of them... So hard in fact that I had to asked my doctor at the time to send them an official letter to announce my death and to not send anymore catalog or music cartridge. Sound extreme but it was the only way to get the peace after years and years of annoyance...

Just make a complaint to the OPC Eric they will have to send you what you had paid for (their files there is pretty big). If no mentions was written about the unavaibility of some title they have no legal rights to do it (even less to replace them with inferior technology, you have order your movies on BR format and not on DVD format).

Touti

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
I didn't think of the DVD vs BR problem but you may be right here Jimmy.  My invoice shows

Enrollment Amount: 4$
I am Legend: 19.95$
Twister: 14.95$

And these are the two movies that I got which mean I haven't received any of the 4 movies at 1$ea.  Does this mean I can only choose DVD's and not Blu-Ray's at that price ?

That's certainly not what their web site said when I signed up and if this is the case then I'm gonna return the whole thing and cancel it.  I signed up only because 6 BR movies for 50$ was an incredible deal.  I'm not gonna pick 4 DVD's I don't want and up paying 50$ for two BR movies with Columbia when I can buy them at that price anywhere.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
Does this mean I can only choose DVD's and not Blu-Ray's at that price ?
That's what I understand since it's written on your 4 certificates that they are for four dvd.
The easy thing to do is to contact your credit card provider to get a refund (since our dear Columbia House had broken the contract themselves) and send them back their stuff after the refund is confirm with your CC.

Touti

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
They're gonna have to send me what I ordered or 4 other Blu-Ray movies.  I checked their web site again.  Check the blue banner at the top, they can't say that and then tell me after I signed up that it's only for DVD's.

I think that either the movies were not in stock or their database/computer system is/are fucked up and wouldn't allow them to take them out at 1$.  They will probably tell me to use the certificates to order any Blu-Ray movie I want.

But it would be not be completely right, it's extra delay for me before having my movies and I won't be getting "Milk" which seems to have been removed from their catalog.

http://qj.columbiahousecanada.com/qj4/genrePage.do?club=12&mode=QJR&switchLocation=true

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »
Since they wrote dvd all over their website, I supposed they don't know that a dvd and a BR aren't the same thing ::)

Anyway Milk is listed on their catalog for 1$ as are the 3 others one you had choose. So there absolutelly no reason for not sending what you have ordered.

But since it's Columbia something must go wrong ::)

Touti

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:02:25 PM »
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=2220451

I read a few posts thereafter.  Apparently Columbia House has some problems with "in stock management" (they should hire me to build them a reliable and efficient system  ;D) so they often send those certificates. 

I'm glad I googled this because according to posters on that forum the system at Columbia can't handle BR on those certificates.  People called to redeem them although the certificates says it can't be redeemed by phone or online.

I'm gonna call them on monday and try to reorder the movies I'm missing or other stuff I like it they're not in stock.  People say that despite the hickups (Spelling ?) at sign up their system is pretty smooth after and that they never had problems.  It seems that you get BR movies for under 20$ all the time.

BTW Jimmy, Milk Blu-Ray is in their signup choices but once you're a member and login in to check the online Catalog it isn't.

Touti

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Club Offer
Order any regular Club-price DVD or Blu-ray (including sets) at $19.95 or higher, and take unlimited single DVDs or Blu-rays of equal or lower value for 50% off!

I'm still not happy with the problems I've had (and still have) with my signup order but I have to admit this is a pretty good deal on BR.