Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 3/20 - 3/22  (Read 12349 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 3/20 - 3/22
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

The Quick and the Dead
In this edgy and darkly homorous Western, a mysterious young woman rides into the lawless town of Redemption to settle an old score that has haunted her since she was a child. She becomes swept up in a deadly quick-draw tournament and, in order to win her revenge, must compete in a contest in which gunslingers from all over put their lives on the line for fame and fortune.

My Thoughts:
All the sudden I felt like a Western, which is unusual for me... as it is not normally among my favorite genres... but I do enjoy one every now and then. I have seen this one many years ago when it first came out... but I haven't seen it since. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. There is a lot of well knowns in this one. I was somewhat surprised to see Tobin Bell's name in this one though... as at the time I had no idea who he was... he didn't become familiar to me till the Saw movies. Anyway... I am glad I added this movie to my collection. I think it is a good story and everyone involved did a fine job.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRrEUz62Lw
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »

Star Trek: Generations
Stardate: the 23rd Century. Retired Starfleet officers James T. Kirk (William Shatner), Montgomery Scott (James Doohan) and Pavel Checkov (Walter Koenig) are guests of honor aboard the newly christened Enterprise-B. A test run takes an unexpected turn, however when the starship encounters two vessels trapped inside the Nexus, a mysterious energy ribbon. During a perilous rescue attempt, Kirk is swept out into space.

Seven decades later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the crew of Enterprise-D rescue an El Aurian physicist named Soran (Malcolm McDowell). Unbeknownst to Picard, Soran harbors a deadly plan that includes the destruction of the Enterprise and millions of lives. Now Picard's only hope for a future rests within the Nexus...and a legendary captain from the past.

Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spinder, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis and Gates McFadden costar in this "cosmic hit that all generations will love." (Pat Collins, WWOR-TV)

My Thoughts:
I always been a fan of Star Trek... much more so then Star Wars even though that series of movies is good as well. Unfortunately I do not have much in my collection from the Star Trek franchise (only movies 7-10 and a few vol. of the original TV Series as well as 2 seasons of TNG [Damn expensive boxsets!] :voodoo:). I enjoyed this movie... even though I wouldn't say it is the best Star Trek movie out there.... it is still fun. I actually enjoyed watching the 2 Enterprise crews in the same movie. But there is some things I didn't like about it also. I especially didn't like Data's emotions chip.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfBbpyiK7ds
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

Constantine
John Constantine sees demons walk the earth, and he aims to do something about it: send them back to hell!

As Constantine, The Matrix's Keanu Reeves fights a new otherworld foe in this eye-popping supernatural thriller based on characters from the DC Comics/Vertigo Hellblazer Graphic Novels and set in a City of the Angels where spirit-world bounds have been broken...and all hell is breaking loose.

Holy water. A dragon's-breath flamethrower. A shotgun crafted from a crucifix. Armed with these and assisted by an intrepid cop (Rachel Weisz), John Constantine is a spiritual warrior gone to apocalyptic war. Be glad he's on your side.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I blind bought earlier this month. I have heard both good and bad about this movie so I made myself go into this movie with low expectations. Which I guess did help as I did enjoy this movie quite a bit. I did find parts of it to be on the weird side. But it did keep my full attention through-out the movie. From what I understand this movie is based on a comic book. One I never read before. So the character(s) were completely new to me. But that didn't really matter... it didn't hamper my understanding of the movie any... though I am sure there was some references to the comics that I wouldn't of known about. The Constantine character was pretty cool... it's kinda weird on itself as I liked the character and disliked him all at the same time. Kinda like a hero that shouldn't be one if that makes any sense to you. But I am glad I added it to my collection... can see myself watching it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9PKmPGOnBQ
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
I thought Constantine was good too. Just wish Bloody Hollywood would have a little more faith in the material; he should be British, with attitude! That's one of the negatives you'll have heard about... other than that, excellent.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

The Flintstones
1994's 'The Flintstones' brought the modern Stone Age family - immortalized in the first animated series to prime-time history to the live-action big screen.

After an aptitude test mix-up, Fred Flinstone (John Goodman) trades his job as Slate & Company Bronto-crane operator for a vice presidency. But thers's trouble brewing in Bedrock. An evil executive (Kyle MacLachlan) and his sinister secretary (Halle Berry) are now plotting to use Fred as the fall guy in an embezzlement scheme.

Rick Moranis (Barney Rubble), Rosie O'Donnell (Betty Rubble), Elizabeth Perkins (Wilma Flintstone) and Elizabeth Taylor co-star in a Steven Spielrock production filles with classic sight gags, dino-sized production values and sensational special effects.

My Thoughts:
After the last several I watched I felt like watching something more light-hearted this time around. Something I could just sit back and enjoy... without putting any thought into it what so ever. Even though It is a no-brainer watch... that can be fun... I do find it more then a little silly. Not saying that is a bad thing. Just makes it so you have to be in the mood for it to really enjoy it. I do think John Goodman as Fred and Rick Moranis as Barney is good casting.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1nlJUxa9I
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 12:26:15 AM »
My biggest problem with The Flinstone and this is more a problem with us the French Canadian

This isn't the voices that we have grown with!!!

The movie was a flop here mostly because of this factor.

P.S : I talk evidently of the Quebec dub version.