Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 3/20 - 3/22  (Read 12350 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 3/20 - 3/22
« on: March 20, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
3/20 - 3/22
Once again this weekend there is no theme to my marathon. It seems I have gotten away from theme watching here lately. But I just never know what I am really in the mood for... and I have a load of unwatched movies sitting here waiting for me... so I do want to get to at least some of those this weekend. But yet be open to watch anything else I find myself in the mood for as well. So anyway... this weekend I decided to watch...

The Day After
The countdown has begun! Against the real-life backdrop of the US deployment of WMDs in Europe during the escalating cold war, this "dramatically involving [and] agonizingly graphic film" (The Hollywood Reporter) about nuclear holocaust detonated a direct hit into the heartland of America. Starring Jason Robards, JoBeth Williams, Steven Guttenberg, John Cullum and John Lithgow, this "controversial, potent drama" (Leonard Maltin) remains "one of the most talked-about programs in history" (Newsweek)!

When cold-war tensions reach the ultimate boiling point, the inhabitants of a small town in Kansas learn - along with the rest of America - that they have less than 30 minutes before 300 Soviet warheads begin to appear overhead! Can anyone survive this ultimate nightmare...or the nuclear winter that is sure to follow?

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I bought blind.. never even heard of the movie before. It is a TV Movie from 1983. Going into this movie I am hopeful I will enjoy it... but at the same time skeptical for some reason. I think that could be partially because of what I see in the cast list... we have JoBeth Williams... a name that sounds so very familiar to me... something from my past... was thinking an old TV Series... but going by imdb apparently not. Then we have Steve Guttenberg.. He is alright as an actor... but never really was that impressive to me. Then I see the name John Lithgow.. I don't know what it is about this guy... but something always bugged me about him... I haven't been impressed with him in anything I have seen him in. So I guess with actors that I am basically indifferent with or straight out do not like I went into this move with some concerns about my enjoyment.

I realize that 1983 is more then 20 years ago... but this film felt like it was even older then that.  I think that is partially because of the grade of film used on this movie... it just had a cheap, aged look to it. This movie definitely starts out on the slow side. It seemed like forever before the attack happened. Though once the people knew about the attacks my interest in the movie did rise and I did start to enjoy the movie somewhat.  As for my dislike of John Lithgow... once again I did not care for him in this movie... but luckily he only had a small part. Once the attack was over... and the survivors was dealing with the fallout it became a pretty powerful story. This movie... while a decent attempt... is far from the best movie I have seen on the subject. All in all this one really is no more then average... maybe slightly above.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0aQTrlWkw
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 3/20 - 3/22
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »
I haven't seen that film in quite a while but I remember it as a very powerful picturization of the topic. It introduces you to the people and then throws them into the worst horror / nightmare. This is certainly no action flick like other "endtime" movies.

What do you think are the movies that are better on the subject - and work on a somewhat realistic level?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
I was thinking about that very thing after posting it... and meant to change that... I basically "misspoke" what I meant... I prefer the more action style over this. these hard-hitting dramas like this tend to loose me.  It takes me too long to get into pure dramas and I will tend to get bored with them. I prefer the more action oriented style then something like this normally. But for what it was... it was a pretty powerful story. I just had a hard time getting invested in these people... I just didn't care enough about them I guess.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »
Then I see the name John Lithgow.. I don't know what it is about this guy... but something always bugged me about him... I haven't been impressed with him in anything I have seen him in.

Did you see "3rd Rock From the Sun"? I think he is brilliant in it!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »
I can hear your reaction now Tom.... But I couldn't stand that show! 
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
I love 3rd Rock From the Sun too...though I know it didn't appeal to a lot of people. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
Then we have Steve Guttenberg.. He is alright as an actor...
:laugh: You are sure more generous than me... Guttenberg an alright actor, maybe at dinner theatre and I ain't even sure of this

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
 :hysterical:

I've only seen Guttenberg in a few things..mostly the Police Academy movies.  I've never been impressed with his acting, though most of what I've seen him in has been rather...umm...stupid.  I don't think he's ever really left his character from the Police Academy movies behind.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
Then we have Steve Guttenberg.. He is alright as an actor...
:laugh: You are sure more generous than me... Guttenberg an alright actor, maybe at dinner theatre and I ain't even sure of this

Well... I was trying to be somewhat kind since I did enjoy the Police Academy movies... though none of them made it to my collection yet. :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »
Then I see the name John Lithgow.. I don't know what it is about this guy... but something always bugged me about him... I haven't been impressed with him in anything I have seen him in.

Did you see "3rd Rock From the Sun"? I think he is brilliant in it!

And Cliffhanger! And Footloose! Oh hang on, Pete would love Footloose... :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Argggghhhhh!!! Footloose is another movie my wife tortured me with all the time when she was alive. She would watch it non-stop and would have a fit if I wouldn't sit there with her to "enjoy" it together... how can we "enjoy" something together when it is something I hate!!!  :stars:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
I've watched this movie so many times just because of its soundtrack, so many great songs and hits on this one. I'm proud to had it in my collection even the story is good this is a real proof that with the music you can win everything.

And it's a true story. Pete you must buy it for a "based on a true story marathon" and to show to Brittany how the music was great in the eighties :tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc40EasXz18
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:58:26 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
 :laugh: Don't hold you're breath Jimmy!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »

Bats
Something is coming in the night. The dark air fills with the sound of flapping wings and menacing shrieks. The night has wings and fear takes flight.

Swarms of genetically altered bats have descended upon a sleepy, small Texan town and no one is safe. The only hope to stop the growing tide of bloody devastation is a zoologist who studies bats, (Dina Meyer, 'Starship Troopers'), her assistant (Leon, 'Cliffhanger') and the local sheriff (Lou Diamond Phillips, 'The Big Hit'). BATS is a jolting ride of sight, sound and fear.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have not watched in years... not since it was first released on DVD. I probably never watched this again till now because I remembered it being just an OK movie. After watching this one again today I can say it was better then I remembered it being... I thought it was actually pretty good this time... I definitely still seen better... but I actually enjoyed watching it this time around. One thing I liked about this movie is that Lou Diamond Phillips is in it. I have always enjoyed him in whatever I seen him in... I always thought he was a very under-rated actor. Anyway... I think this is just a good... leave your brain at the door... horror movie. Of course if you actually think about this movie there is many problems... but if you are will to do no more then sit back and enjoy I think you will enjoy it. Which is something I always try to do... as I always thought some people tend to over-think the movies they are watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.videodetective.com/TitleDetails.aspx?publishedid=00446833
Pete