Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 97726 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
Exceptional cinematography.

The cinematography was not something which I found particularly interesting in this movie.
Also I didn't like the editing very much. For me many scenes had a disjointed feeling.

Well, for one thing, I found it to be stunningly beautiful. Really gorgeous, in fact. But I also loved the handheld camera with all those tiny, tiny pushes and pulls - curious and restrained at the same time.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »

Title: Naissance des pieuvres
Year: 2007
Director: Céline Sciamma
Rating: 15
Length: 80 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: French: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Pauline Acquart
Louise Blachere
Adèle Haenel
Warren Jacquin
Christel Baras

Plot:
Celine Sciamma’s acclaimed debut film Water Lilies (Naissance des Pieuvres) is a beautifully observed, intelligent and provocative portrait of female adolescence. Set in the competitive world of synchronised swimming, three 15-year-old girls experience first love, friendship and rivalry in different ways. Since its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival 2007, the film has been delighting critics and audiences alike.

Awards:
Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie. Even though it has a slow pacing, it was not boring for a minute. The actresses all did a good job. Especially the one playing the lead role of Marie. Though the ending again is like so many other independent lesbian movies. But this time I didn't mind it so much.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
I saw a great quote on Facebook today:

"Just watched 'Anal Lesbians IV'. Very disappointing. It was just 2 women arranging contents of their fridge in alphabetical order..."
:hysterical:

I know it's the shallow view of lesbians that your marathon has thus far avoided, so I apologise, but I just couldn't resist! :tomato:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »

Title: Sugar Rush: Series One & Two
Year: 2005
Director:
Rating: 18
Length: 511 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio:
Subtitles:

Plot:
Sugar Rush Series 1 explores the world of Kim and her earth-shattering lust for the gorgeous and sassy Maria Sweet, otherwise known as Sugar. Series 2 brings with it the arrival of Saint, sex-shop manager, part-time DJ and all-round goddess.

And if Sugar and Saint aren't enough to blow Kim's mind, there's also her dysfunctional, embarrassing family - a mini-freak for a brother, an obsessively house-proud dad and a mum who's behaving as if she's the one who's a teenager.

Each episode takes us on a different journey inside Kim's world as her wry observations take us into the mind of a screwed up, loved up, lustful adolescent experiencing the bright lights of Brighton and the rush of teenage love. Sit back and watch the riotous exploration of what it means to be young, horny and queer in 21st century Britain unfold.

My Thoughts:
A fun little series. I enjoyed every episode. From the narrative style it borrows from My So-Called Life, only with a teenage lesbian in the center.
Her family is really crazy. Especially her brother is worth a laugh everytime he is on-screen. This aspect reminds me of "Mein Leben und ich", a German series inspired by "My So-Called Life". This reminds me, that I have to continue buying that series on DVD. Too bad that it is relatively expensive (>20€ for a 13-episode season).

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 12:46:20 AM »
I watched this series a couple of years back Tom and really enjoyed it. I must say though the way season 2 ended annoyed me quite a bit. My favourite character was Saint and at the end when Sain, Kim and Sugar all had to live in the one house would have been hilarious. Yet we never get to see it becuase the show ended way too soon.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
My favourite character was also Saint. I liked the ending except for the last few seconds.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »

Title: Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Year: 1990
Director:
Rating: 15
Length: 163 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles: English

Stars:

Plot:
A POIGNANT, COMIC AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL COMING-OF-AGE STORY ADAPTED FOR THE BBC BY JEANNETTE WINTERSON FROM HER WHITBREAD PRIZE-WINNING NOVEL.

Jess is the adopted daughter of a deeply religious woman. Growing up isolated and insulated in the north of England in the 1970's, Jess is told she's part of a larger plan. Her mother keeps her away from "Breeding Grounds" like schools, preferring to train her to spread God's word "to all the heathens in the hot countries." Jess eventually attends school, but continually feels like an outcast due to her religious beliefs. Her small town life changes when she meets Melanie, a beautiful sixteen-year old, and she experiences love at first sight. As the two draw closer, Jess's mother sees the devil at work and determines to exorcise the demons from her daughter.

Faced with the ire of Pastor Finch and his congregation, Jess realizes that she must soon decide between following her own heart or the path set out for her by others.

Awards:
Extras:
Interviews
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Overall an okay mini-series. I liked the second episode the best of the three. I didn't enjoy it as much as the later BBC mini series I have reviewed in this thread ("Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet").
The old ladies reminded me very much of Monty Python when they are doing their old ladies drag. Especially in the beginning of the first episode :laugh:

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
My favourite character was also Saint. I liked the ending except for the last few seconds.
(click to show/hide)

Yeah I know what you mean. It was almost as if they penned that scene with a third season in mind and it could haveworked and even been quite funny. As far as a way to end a show though well, for that matter it did not work at all. Have you watched the show South of Nowhere?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
Have you watched the show South of Nowhere?

I have heard of it, but the last time I checked there was no DVD release.
I see, that now there is one at amazon.com, but "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media." :(
And rather expensive. More than $30 for a 10-12 episode season. The third season is even $50.

Critter

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
Have you watched the show South of Nowhere?

I have heard of it, but the last time I checked there was no DVD release.
I see, that now there is one at amazon.com, but "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media." :(
And rather expensive. More than $30 for a 10-12 episode season. The third season is even $50.

Ah it's probably not worth it. I watched it online a few years back (don't hurt me). It was a cute enough little show but it was almost like a toned down version of Sugar Rush. And Sugar Rush itself is like a toned down version of The L Word haha.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »
I have only seen the first season of The L Word. It was one of the last series I watched via "grey channels" before I went DVD only (because luckily almost all series I was interested in started coming out on DVD).
There are two reasons why I stopped watching L Word:
1) I only liked about three of the main characters and every time one of the others got screen-time, I got desinterested.
2) I didn't like where the series was going: Getting a couple together, breaking them up, get another pairing together, breaking them up,...
   This makes it hard for me to get invested into the characters. This is also a reason why I am glad to a degree, that Sugar Rush ended after two series. It would have gone the same way.

Did I miss out on something? Should I have continued watching it?

Critter

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
Not really, I watched 5 out of 6 seasons of The L Word but it never really did much for me. Since you only watched the first season then you missed out on my favourite character 'Helena'. Her story arcs were very interesting and probably one of the reasons I watched it for so long. Most of the time though it's pretty much what you have said, couples getting together then breaking up. It did have some good stories in it though, I just felt none of them lastest long enough, they seemed to just like cutting the good plots off, just when you were starting to enjoy them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »

Title: Love on the Side
Year: 2004
Director: Vic Sarin
Rating: 12
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Marnie Alton
Peter Benson
Kee Chan
Jonathan Cherry
Len Doncheff

Plot:
A romantic comedy that follows the non-existent love-life of Eve, LOVE ON THE SIDE is a must-see for all fans of Bridget Jones' Diary' and 'Miss Congeniality'.

Eve believes she has no more appeal than the leftovers she clears away in her job as a waitress in a small-time diner. However, for years she has harboured a secret crush on the jaw-droppingly handsome local football hero who sadly doesn't even realise she exists.

As if Eve's love-life couldn't get any worse, Linda, a larger than life, blonde bombshell from the city sweeps into town, swooping up all the fellas in her path. As the local guys go crazy for Linda, Eve's plans to bag her football hero go seriously awry.

Awards:
Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Marla Sokoloff is a very likable lead. Too bad I haven't seen much of her. The first movie I have seen with her was "Whatever It Takes", which I enjoyed.
I am wondering about the girly guy on the right-side of the cover. I haven't seen him in the movie.
I was not sure if I should include this movie in this thread, but I think it qualifies.
Every guy in town is falling for Linda (the hot woman on the cover), but she is showing interest in Eve (Marla Sokoloff), which boosts the confidence of Eve.

(click to show/hide)

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
Tom I thought I would suggest a film for your marathon. It's called Loving Annabelle. It's a bit of a controversal film as it tackles a high school student/teacher relationship but I think it handles it well, and it's one of my favourite lesbian films. Oh and also Gia.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
Tom I thought I would suggest a film for your marathon. It's called Loving Annabelle. It's a bit of a controversal film as it tackles a high school student/teacher relationship but I think it handles it well, and it's one of my favourite lesbian films. Oh and also Gia.

Loving Annabelle has been on my wishlist for awhile now. It was always to pricey for a blind buy when the reviews I have seen weren't that glowing. But after your recommendation I will consider buying it with one of my next orders.
Gia is already in my unwatched pile.