Author Topic: Movie Marathon  (Read 17242 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Movie Marathon
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »
I would love to see him just let completely loose... no holds barred... and see what he could really do.

I'm pretty sure with the state of things nowadays that the only way to see this from Robin Williams would be when he does stand-up comedy alone on a stage (does he still do it?)

Yes he does.  He was doing a show touring around the country that was going to end in New York.  But some of that has at least been postponed because he has to have heart surgery.  That came out a week ago I think.  I haven't heard if he plans to return to the tour once he recovers or not.

He did something back in like..hmm...2002 or 2003 that also aired on HBO at the time.  I think he had done a tour around the country then before ending in New York.  I have it on DVD.  Funny stuff.  I actually just watched it again in the last week.

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »
That is cool... hope lots of money is raised!

Well the last total I saw was £54,600,000+ which is bloody fantastic.

That's huge. About £14,000,000 more than they've ever done before! Weird how recessions affect things. I almost wonder if people are being so careful with their cash, they've realised they can spare a couple of quid for something like this.

Highlight for me was French & Saunders coming out of their sort-of-retirement to do one more movie spoof: Mamma Mia! It was fantastic. :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
That is awesome Jon!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »

Kiss the Girls
Eight kidnapped women. All beautiful. All talented. All in danger of having their lives cut cruelly short if police detective Alex Cross and key witness Kate McTiernan can't locate the elusive "collector" who calls himself Casanova.

From the Deep South to the California coast and back, the hunt is on in this provocative race-against-time suspenser based on the best-selling novel by James Patterson. Ashley Judd plays resourceful, strong-willed McTiernan. She's the lone escapee from Casanova's hidden lair...and determined to rescue the fellow captives she left behind. Morgan Freeman is Cross, a master at solving the unsolvable. But there's more than his reputation at stake: This time one of the victims is his niece in this "taut, riveting thriller" (Fox-TV).

My Thoughts:
This is a great suspense thriller. I really enjoyed Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross. I decided to watch this movie after blind buying the movie Along Came A Spider and seen Morgan Freeman plays the same character in that one as he does here. So I am betting you will be able to guess what the next movie I watch will be. Tatyana M. Ali (Ashley on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) plays Alex's niece who was kidnapped in this movie. So it was pretty cool to see that familiar face as well. I definitely recommend this movie if you never seen it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC0Ul29wCj4
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

Along Came a Spider
Morgan Freeman reprises his Kiss the Girls role as Alex Cross in this spellbinding psychological thriller that is “a knockout with a surprise twist.”

After the harrowing death of his partner, detective and best-selling author Alex Cross has retreated to the peace of retirement. But when a brilliant criminal (Michael Wincott) kidnaps a senator's young daughter, Alex is lured back into action. Teamed with the Secret Service agent (Monica Potter) assigned to protect the missing girl, Alex follows a serpentine trail of clues that leads him to a stunning discovery – the kidnapper wants more than just ransom...he wants Alex's help in documenting the crime of the century. With time running out, Alex plunges through a tangled web of danger and deceit to stop a madman and save an innocent victim's life.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones I bought blind this month. Never even seeing the trailer before hand. I bought this movie strictly on the strength of Morgan Freeman who I find to be an outstanding actor. And I am so glad I got this one... I enjoyed this movie just as much... if not more then then previous one. On the back of the case it calls this movie a spellbinding psychological thriller that is “a knockout with a surprise twist.”... and I have to agree with that... as there is a twist to this movie... one that I did  not see coming. With that said... the movie is not perfect. There was things that bothered me. But for the most part they were more minor annoyances then anything else.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRgsYMJUu8Q
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
I really like those two movies too..I need to watch them again.  Did you know they were based on books?  Along Came a Spider was actually set before Kiss the Girls..and there were several more books with Alex as the main character.  I read like..hmm...maybe 6 or so of them, but then I got fed up with stuff the author kept doing and I stopped reading them.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »
James Patterson, isn't it? My mum likes them, although the last one was a bit ropey apparently.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 02:29:41 AM »
Yes its Patterson.  I still have one of the Alex books that I got for Christmas like..hmmm...4 years ago that I still haven't read yet.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
I believe I said it here before... that I am not much of a reader... I tend to get bored with books fairly quickly. Bit I would love to see more of them be made into movies... especially if they can keep Morgan Freeman in the role.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
From what my mum has told me about the stories and from what I've read on the various covers, Morgan Freeman doesn't seem right for the role. The films work ok, but I think they missed a far bit so doing the other books wouldn't make sense.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
OK... will trust you there Jon   :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »

Quicksilver Highway
He is a collector of rare objects and dark tales, riding the back roads in search of the black heart of America. For him, there is no light without darkness, no life without death. His name is Aaron Quicksilver (Christopher Lloyd) and he has two horrific tales to share...

In "Chattery Teeth" by Stephen King, a traveling salesman (Raphael Sbarge of THE GUARDIAN) picks up both a psychotic hitchhiker and a strange novelty toy for a drive home that leads straight to Hell. In "The Body Politic" by Clive Barker, a plastic surgeon (Matt Frewer of DAWN OF THE DEAD) must fight back when his hands develop a homicidal mind of their own and lead a rebellion of severed extremities. Bill Nunn (SPIDER-MAN) and Veronica Cartwright (ALIEN) co-star in this gruesome double chiller from Mick Garris, the director of the Stephen King miniseries THE STAND, THE SHINING and DESPERATION.

My Thoughts:
As most of you know... I love anthology horrors. This one is a TV Movie that unfortunately only had 2 stories within the movie. Other then, of course, the wraparound story. This really isn't the best anthology horror I ever seen... but it isn't that bad either. It is definitely worth seeing. One thing that this one does that I haven't seen on other anthology horrors.  There is a different wrap-around story for each of the two main stories. The first story is told to a newlywed woman that is stranded on the highway while waiting for her husband to return with a new tire. The second story is told to a skeptic visitor to Aaron Quicksilver's little tent of horrors. I thought this added to the story more then telling both stories to the same person does. As for which story did I enjoy more? That is a pretty close call. But I would probably say the second one about the hands.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://en.dtrailer.com/movies/watch/quicksilver-highway
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »

While You Were Sleeping
You'll fall in love with While You Were Sleeping, the hit romantic comedy that woke everyone up to adorable Sandra Bullock (Speed, A Time To Kill). As Lucy, a lonely subway worker, she becomes smitten with a handsome stranger (Peter Gallagher – Malice). But when she saves his life after he's been mugged and fallen into a coma, his hilariously offbeat family mistakes her for his fiancée! Soon the mix-ups escalate as Lucy fabricates a life between herself and a man she's never met! And when Lucy falls for his charming brother (Bill Pullman – Independence Day), the situation really gets uproarious – as she's forced to make a choice between the two!

My Thoughts:
This is another one of this month's blind buys. I bought it solely to add to my Sandra Bullock collection.... though I have had some people tell me this is her best romantic comedy role. I don't know if I would say "The Best"... there is still several I never seen... as well as a couple that I would rank right up there with it... but it is definitely one of her best. I did enjoy every minute of it. Unfortunately the only extra on this release is some trailers. But at least it does have the Theatrical trailer.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn-CJvSx3M
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:23:11 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »
I believe I said it here before... that I am not much of a reader... I tend to get bored with books fairly quickly. Bit I would love to see more of them be made into movies... especially if they can keep Morgan Freeman in the role.

I haven't heard that any of the others were being made into movies.  With something that was done in the movie version of Along Came a Spider, that would make it ....well...basically impossible to do the movie for one of the books.  With the way the books went, I wouldn't want to see them as movies. 
Morgan Freeman was good in the part, but he was really too old for the part.  I read the first 2 books - Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls - before seeing the movie version of Kiss the Girls.  At that point, I saw it soon after it came out to rent, I thought that Denzil Washington would have fit the character better.

richierich

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »
I thought that Denzil Washington would have fit the character better.

I've also read the books, and totally agree that Cross would have been better cast with Denzil Washington.