Author Topic: Movie Marathon  (Read 17314 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movie Marathon
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:27:16 PM »
I didn't feel like waiting for the weekend so....

The Reaping
Locusts swarm. Rivers turn to blood. Fire rains from the sky. Are you prepared for The Reaping? Investigative scholar Katherine Winter (two-time Academy Award® winner Hilary Swank) is a debunker of modern "miracles," bringing scientific light to superstition and fraud. But events in tiny Haven, Louisiana defy even her expertise. There, the 10 Biblical Plagues seem to be recurring. And the more she seeks answers, the more she questions her own beliefs. Katherine must uncover the truth, because the Plagues are counting down. And time is running out.

My Thoughts:
When I bought this movie yesterday (Wednesday) it was a complete blind buy. I never even seen the trailer to it. But it was cheap... and the back of the case sounds like a good movie. One that reminded me of the short lived TV Series Miracles... which I enjoyed quite a bit. So I bought it before doing any research on it what so ever. Absolutely no more then an impulse buy. Once I got home with it the first thing I did was watch the trailer online. This was very promising... looked like something I would enjoy... and my expectations started to grow. Then I went to read some online reviews of the movie. It seemed most all reviewers was disappointed with this movie. And with that my expectations went done somewhat.

So I finally decide to watch it and see for myself just how good or bad this movie is. For me... This is a decent movie. Maybe slightly above average. But it is not even as good as I was actually expecting from the back cover blurb and trailer. The movie has a good story which I do believe could have been better. And it has some great visual effects. The movie did look pretty amazing. I think Hilary Swank did a pretty good job in this movie... but she has definitely done better in previous movies... so is not her best work. I also think the story over-did it with the flashbacks. OK... some was necessary... like explaining what happen to Katherine's daughter years before. But why the need to show flashbacks of what we actually did see previously in the movie? Do they think we would forget what happen? I won't say I am sorry I bought this movie... as it definitely wasn't terrible... and it was cheap. But I don't think it is one I will watch often. Though who knows... I may enjoy it a bit more on a second viewing... that has happened before.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJmoEPwudN0
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »
But why the need to show flashbacks of what we actually did see previously in the movie? Do they think we would forget what happen?
Certainly not for you, me and everyone here, but the younger generation doesn't really had a long attention span. They have watch too many video clip or MTV like edited movies, I don't talk about the video made in the eighties when it was an original and creative artistic form (I know that you will probably not agree here, video=music=artistic :yucky:). This isn't for anything if almost every movie made in the US in the last 5 years are crappy remake, lifeless CGI movie and headache inducting action movie...

The young today doesn't have the competence to watch something subtle that had a slow pacing. They need everything throw at their face with a fast and overkill fashion. I watched mostly movies made 20 or 30 years ago and that's funny how many of them are always great. I don't think that many peoples will talk about The Fog remake or The Stepford Wives remake in 30 years...

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
I half agree, Jimmy, but I don't think you give the younger generation enough credit. The problem is studios are all about marketing now and spend too long spewing out stuff they think will be liked. But there's nothing else on getting the same marketing exposure so that's what everyone goes to see and the studios say "see, we were right! Lets make more!".  :shrug: If they took more of a risk more often, they'd be surprised. Just look at Watchmen proving popular; not a mega-hit, because it's hard to market, but everyone I've spoken to that went to see it thought it was great and especially commented on the strength of the story. The audience is there and will come and watch if blockbuster movies improved.

Another comment I heard years ago I thought was very sad is that Americans can't watch TV properly. There are so many channels apparently you lot can only watch fast and flashy things to keep your attention, and also why many series aren't given much chance to grow (Firefly, etc). I think that's crap and it's just what the networks think. In the UK our TV is being dumbed down, but the original channels still produce soaps and other dramas without resorting to repeating everything over and over again. They save that for the reality shows... ???

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
They save that for the reality shows... ???

Discovered this song recently. Thought it fits hehe

Quote from: Brad Paisley's Celebrity
Someday I'm gonna be famous,
Do I have talent, well, no.
These days you don't really need it,
Thanks to reality shows.

Can't wait to date a supermodel,
Can't wait to sue my dad.
Can't wait to wreck a Ferrari
On my way to rehab.

Chorus:
'Cause when you're a celebrity
It's adios reality
You' can act just like fool
People think you're cool
Just cause you're on TV.
I can throw major fits
When my latte isn't just how I like it
They say I've gone insane,
I'll blame it on the fame,
And the pressures that goes with
Being a celebrity.

I get to cry to Barbara Walters,
When things don't go my way.
I'll get community service
No matter which law I break.

I'll make the supermarket tabloids,
They'll write some awful stuff
But the more they run my name down,
The more my price goes up!

Chorus:
'Cause when you're a celebrity,
It's adios reality.
No matter what you do,
People think you're cool,
Just cause you're on TV.
I can fall in and out of love,
Have marriages that barely last a month.
When they go down the drain
I'll blame it on the fame
And say it's just so tough.
Being a celebrity.

So let's hitch up the wagons and head out west
To the land of fun in the sun
We'll be real world bachelors
Jackass Millionaires
Hey, Hey, Hollywood
Here we come!

Chorus:
Yeah, When you're a celebrity
It's adios reality
No matter what you do,
People think you're cool,
Just cause you're on TV.
Being a celebrity.
Yeah celebrity!
uh huh
ugh??Where's my coffee?

Here's a search link for it on You Tube (embedding of the video is disabled):
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brad%20paisley%20celebrity&search_type=&aq=f&oq=

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
Wow! that really brought up some discussion!  :thumbup: I think you all brought up some good points. But I must admit it seems somewhat insulting that they felt the need to remind us what happen only about half an hour before.  Oh well... what can you do? Like I said... maybe I will enjoy it a little more next time around when my hopes aren't up as high as they were this time. And this time they weren't up all that high!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »

Batman: The Movie (1966) - with Commentary Track
When Batman (Adam West) and Robin (Burt Ward) get a tip that Commodore Schmidlapp (Reginald Denny) is in danger aboard his yacht they launch a rescue mission. But the tip is a set-up by four of the most powerful villains ever who seek to defeat the Dynamic Duo once and for all!

Armed with a dehydrator that can turn humans into dust the fearsome foursome intends to take over the world! Can the Caped Crusaders use their high-flying heroism and groovy gadgetry to declaw Catwoman (Lee Meriwether) ice the Penguin (Burgess Meredith) upstage the Joker (Cesar Romero) and stump the Riddler (Frank Gorshin) in time?

My Thoughts:
I wanted to watch a movie with my daughter before she left for the weekend tomorrow. She is spending the weekend at her grandmother's house. So I got the idea for us to finally watch this movie with the commentary track on. We been wanting to listen to this track every since we watched this movie back in mid December. But I must say... I am glad we waited as long as we did. That way we had the chance to watch Return to the Batcave before watching this one again. I found this to be a lot of fun. You can tell that both Adam West and Burt Ward had a good time reminisce about this movie and the series. They really have a good attitude and sense of humor when it comes to their Batman years. Which is a great thing to see. It was also fun to see that a lot of the flashbacks in  Return to the Batcave was pretty accurate. Brittany enjoyed this very much as well... she was literally laughing so hard that she was having a hard time catching her breath.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bfHsOPxSBE
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »

Good Morning, Vietnam
When the U.S. Army engages irreverent, nonconformist radio deejay Adrian Cronauer, it unleashed a secret, if unpredictable, weapon: laughter. Academy Award® winner Robin Williams (Best Supporting Actor, 'Good Will Hunting', 1997) shakes up 1965 Saigon in the role that garnered him his very first Oscar® nomination.

Imported by the Military to host an early a.m. radio show, Cronauer (Williams) blasts the formerly serene, sanitized airwaves with a constant barrage of rapid-fire humor and the hottest hits from back home.

The G.I.s love him, the top brass is up in arms. Riddled with sidesplitting comic salvos, bittersweet bombshells and hot '60s rock 'n' roll, this landmark film chronicles one man's raucous Saigon adventures amidst a world gone mad. Featuring all-new bonus material that includes hilarious outtakes from Robin Williams' "raw" monologues, this Special Edition of 'Good Morning Vietnam' scores a direct hit every time you watch!

My Thoughts:
This one I have not seen in many years. I am a long time fan of Robin Williams... I enjoyed him every since Mork & Mindy. In this movie he brings a lot of that energy he is so well known for. But even with that said... I think there should have been more. I would love to see him just let completely loose... no holds barred... and see what he could really do. But this is definitely a good, fun movie. Well worth the 2 hours you put into it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvY4dlAiGU&feature=related
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »
I would love to see him just let completely loose... no holds barred... and see what he could really do.

I'm pretty sure with the state of things nowadays that the only way to see this from Robin Williams would be when he does stand-up comedy alone on a stage (does he still do it?)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »
The last bit of stand-up I have seen him do was probably when he was doing that yearly charity for the homeless... forget what it was called... but he, Whoopi Goldberg & Billy Crystal all hosted it. And it seemed like they kept him on a fairly short leash for that as well.

Edit: I believe it was called Comic Relief
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:54:14 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
Funny you saying that today: it's Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) in the UK. Raises money for various charities here and in Africa. Been going about 20 years I think, though not every year. One of the founders was the guy who wrote Four Weddings, etc.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:40:18 PM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
That is cool... hope lots of money is raised!
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
Funny you saying that today: it's Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) in the UK. Raises money for various charities here and in Africa. Been going about 20 years I think, though not everyday.
We have a "red Nose Day" since a few years, too. From the english RND I remember this video clip very vividly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVT0fGsFn68
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 07:39:50 PM »
Yeah, this year I think Robbie Williams is trying to salvage his career raise tons of cash ;) by dressing up for a Little Britain special. It goes on for hours though, so there's loads of skits, but I just dip in and out and hope to catch the good stuff.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »

Flightplan
Academy Award® winner Jodie Foster (Best Actress, The Silence Of The Lambs, 1991) gives an outstanding performance in the heart-pumping action thriller Flightplan. Flying at 40,000 feet in a state-of-the-art aircraft that she helped design, Kyle Pratt's (Foster) six-year-old daughter Julia vanishes without a trace. Or did she? No one on the plane believes Julia was ever onboard. And now Kyle, desperate and alone, can only count on her own wits to unravel the mystery and save her daughter. From the producer of Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, Flightplan is an intense, suspense-filled thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire flight.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good thriller that I enjoyed every minute of. I have been a fan of Jodie Foster for a long time now. She seems to always give a role all she has. As much as I did enjoy this movie... it isn't without problems. They are just (IMO) small enough that it doesn't really hurt the story any. Like not explaining how she didn't have both boarding passes when she had them both in her pocket when she went to sleep. But over-all a very good movie well worth the hour and a half you have to put into it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsGLpV0iWjg
Pete