Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/27 - 2/29  (Read 11160 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/27 - 2/29
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
2/27 - 2/29
It is time for another Weekend Movie Marathon. I really didn't want to go with any specific theme this time. I am just going to watch what ever movie I am in the mood for when I am in the mood for it. The past couple weeks I didn't do to well on my marathons... hoping to do better this weekend. So this weekend I decided to watch...

Men in Black II
Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are back in black as the scum-fighting super-agents Kay and Jay - regulators of all things alien on planet Earth. Their latest mission: to save the world from a total intergalactic disaster!

When a renegade Kylothian monster disguised as a lingerie model threatens the survival of the human race, the boys of the MIB get the call to step up and get busy. With their headquarters under siege and time running out, Agents Kay and Jay enlist the help of Frank the Pug and a posse of hard-living worms to help them kick some seriously sexy alien butt!

My Thoughts:
After watching the first one a couple weeks ago... I thought I would give this one another try. This is only my second time ever seeing this movie. This DVD was a given to my by my young daughter for my birthday back in May of '03. Unfortunately the one thing she didn't know at the time is that there is a difference between widescreen and full screen that actually matters. But what is a father to do? It is the first DVD she got me... I have to keep it. Though one day I really should get the widescreen version also to put beside it.

This is a fun movie.... much like the first one... it is really nothing more then pure mindless fun. But I don't think it is quite as good as the first. Almost... but the first one has a little on it I think. Definitely worth the hour and a half you put into it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:50:45 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/27 - 2/29
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »

Terminator
In 2029, giant super-computers dominate the planet, hell-bent on exterminating the human race! And to destroy man's future by changing the past, they send an indestructible cyborg (Arnold Schwarzenegger) - a Terminator - back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become mankind's only hope. But can Sarah protect herself from this unstoppable menace to save the life of her unborn child? Or will the human race be extinguished by "one mean chunk of mutant metal" (LA Herald-Examiner)?

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I have not seen in many years. Matter of fact... the last time I seen this movie it was on VHS. And I been watching nothing but DVDs since I got my first player back in 1997. Going in I was a bit worried how well this movie would hold up. While some of the stuff in this movie showed it's age... for the most part the movie held up well. While the effects was still very enjoyable... some of the clothing and hair styles was laughable. I always found it cool that Linda Hamilton's home town is Salisbury, Maryland. Which is only a short 10 to 15 minute drive (approx. 13 miles) from where I live  in Princess Anne, Md. Makes me wonder if she ever makes it back this way... maybe to see family.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
This film, the first version of The Man Who Knew Too Much, propelled ordinary filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock to superstardom and established him as the premier director of suspense-based thrillers. Unsuspecting tourists Leslie Banks and Edna Best stumble into a plot filled with international intrigue when they make acquaintances with a good natured Frenchman played by Pierre Fresnay. After being murdered, Fresnay uses his dying breath to divulge a 'secret' to Banks, involving a plot to assassinate a diplomat. Pursued by sinister agents, Banks' daughter (Nova Pilbeam) is kidnapped and held to ensure Banks tells no one of what he knows. Unable to turn to the authorities, Banks must take it upon himself to rescue his daughter and try to prevent the assassination at the same time. The film builds to a terrific climax and also features Peter Lorre in his very first English speaking role.

My Thoughts:
I thought with all the talk of Alfred Hitchcock going on here at dvdcollectorsonline.com that I would at least watch this one from my collection that I have never seen before. This is one of those cheap public domain $1.00 DVDs that you can find at many stores. I bought it 5 years ago at a local Dollar General Store. Being a public domain dollar dvd the quality is far from pristine. But it is watchable. Better then I was expecting actually. The movie itself was good... but I have seen better. There was just a few things scattered in the movie that rubbed me the wrong way. For example... beginning of the movie you see a shot fired into a window where people are dancing. All the sudden a guy just stops and stands for a few seconds... opens his jacket and you see a spot of blood over his heart and says something like "look there". Then he slowly goes down in the arms of the woman he dancing with and gives her a fairly long explanation and the key to his room to find evidence of a murder plot before he dies.If the blood spot wasn't directly over his heart I would have said fine to it all... but there is only so much suspending of believability. There is a few instances such as this... but over-all a good movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
Pete's jumped the gun!  :o

;)

I'm kidding, I know you don't have many or try to follow the other marathons. I'm just glad that our rabbiting on about it has given you cause to watch a film from 1934 that isn't horror! Good for you. I know it's dated, but still, very much worth seeing. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »
Oh yeah... definitely worth seeing!

And yeah... I guess I did jump the gun a little... but I couldn't wait what with all the Hitchcock talk lately.  :P I could have put it in next weekend's marathon... or even the following probably. I will just have to be sure to save Sabotage for then... and possibly re-watch Psycho and The Birds as well.  ;D
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »

I Bury the Living
A newly appointed cemetery chairman discovers that, merely by inserting a black pin into a wall-sized map of the cemetery, he can cause the deaths of that plot's owner.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good classic. One that I have enjoyed a few times since getting it in the Total Movie Classic Boxset. Of course being public domain release in a boxset they gave away with a magazine subscription the quality could be much better... but it is definitely watchable. This is one I would like to find a release with better transfer and some extras.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »

Joan of Arc
Leelee Sobieski (Deep Impact) shines as the legendary warrior Joan of Arc, who, at seventeen, led one of the greatest campaigns for freedom the world has ever witnessed. Supported by an all star cast including, Jacqueline Bisset, Neil Patrick Harris, Robert Loggia, Peter Strauss, Peter O'Toole, Academy Award® winners Maximilian Schell and Olympia Dukakis, and a special cameo appearance by Shirley MacLaine, JOAN OF ARC is a riveting epic of inspiration, triumph and tears.

Born to a peasant French family, young Joan hears the voices of saints calling out to her to unite her besieged nation. Gaining an audience with the young king, Joan convinces him to allow her to command an army into battle – an adventure that leads to thrilling victories and heartbreaking betrayals – as Joan of Arc defies all odds and marches into history.

My Thoughts:
I have always liked the story of Joan of Arc. This movie (well actually a TV Miniseries) is one I never seen before. This one clocks in at 3 hour 9min. But watching it I didn't realize how much time had passed as the story was so enthralling that it felt like a fraction of the time. It was definitely worth the time I put into it... I am thrilled I added it to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:06:10 AM »
This is one I would like to find a release with better transfer and some extras.
MGM had released it a long time ago in their Midnite Movies line (2001). The transfer is good and the only extra is the trailer (I know that you like to watch them). I don't know if this is always available...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:33 AM »
Thanks Jimmy... I will sure to keep an eye out for it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »

John Q.
Oscar® winner* Denzel Washington stars as John Q. Archibald, an everyday man forced to take drastic measures in a desperate situation.

When his young son collapses, John Q. and his wife learn that their only child needs a heart transplant. Without enough health insurance or money to cover the operation, it seems that they are out of options. What happens next will keep you on the edge of your seat, as John Q. takes matters into his own hands in the race against time to save his son's life.

*2001 Best Actor, Training Day; 1989 Best Supporting Actor, Glory

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I haven't watched in a very long time. This is a very good movie. A powerful story excellently performed by all involved. This movie asks the question how far would you go to try to save your child's life. I was riveted to my seat the entire time I was watching this movie. If you never seen this movie... I couldn't recommend it any higher.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »

King Ralph
When a freak accident wipes out the entire royal family, an exhaustive search reveals a distant relation: Ralph Jones (Goodman), a good-natured, down-to-earth Las Vegas entertainer. Immediately, the rude and crude Ralph is given a crash course in royal manners by his new private secretary, the very proper Lord Willingham (Peter O'Toole). but while Ralph's uncouth behavior delights the public, it fuels a fiendish plot by the evil Lord Graves (John Hurt), who's out to oust the new ruler. Now, it's up to this lowborn lounge singer to redeem himself in a manner befitting a king in this warmhearted comedy romp.

My Thoughts:
This movie is more of a guilty pleasure type thing then anything else. It really isn't a particularly good movie... but one I enjoy watching from time to time. To be honest I don't really know why I enjoy it as much as I do. I just find it to be a fun movie. Nothing more and nothing less. The DVD release is pretty good. Good audio and video... but unfortunately there is no extras what so ever.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete