Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon  (Read 222597 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:38 AM »
I was annoyed to have dropped off the pace. I was planning to finish the Horror marathon with a Psycho/Birds double-bill. Maybe still will, but that would mean watching North By Northwest this week as well and considering how far ahead that would put me, I think it's just vulgar!  :training:
´
I just read yesterday that the North By Northwest Blu-ray is supposed to have a marvelous transfer and upgrade/purchase is recoemmended practically for everyone. Now I am wondering if I should get it despite the fact that my DVD version of it is still unwatched. :headscratch:

Najemikon

« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
I just edited my review for Vertigo because I decided it's rubbish.

:devil:

Of course, that comment could not be more false. No, I remembered an easter egg that's really worth seeing, so I added the instructions. :D

I was annoyed to have dropped off the pace. I was planning to finish the Horror marathon with a Psycho/Birds double-bill. Maybe still will, but that would mean watching North By Northwest this week as well and considering how far ahead that would put me, I think it's just vulgar!  :training:
´
I just read yesterday that the North By Northwest Blu-ray is supposed to have a marvelous transfer and upgrade/purchase is recoemmended practically for everyone. Now I am wondering if I should get it despite the fact that my DVD version of it is still unwatched. :headscratch:

You swine. I'd convinced myself it wouldn't be worth upgrading and then you come along, with your la-di-da, "ooh, the rumours", "best blu-ray ever", blah, blah. Do you have any idea of what you've done? Do you?  :redcard:

:slaphead: One way ticket to Double-Dip City please.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »
You swine. I'd convinced myself it wouldn't be worth upgrading and then you come along, with your la-di-da, "ooh, the rumours", "best blu-ray ever", blah, blah. Do you have any idea of what you've done? Do you?  :redcard:

:slaphead: One way ticket to Double-Dip City please.
:devil:

Well, don't just take my word for it: Blu-ray.com. Unfortunately a DVDTalk review is not yet available (although they do praise the DVD...)

Najemikon

« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »
I'm seriously considering it. Play have it for £12, released on 16th. I seriously doubt the other marathon runners will have caught up by then!  :tease:

In fact, is there anyone else left? Have I worn you all out?  :whistle:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #259 on: November 01, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »

I plan to watch Vertigo, North by Northwest and Psycho for the November marathon.
If watching the Hitchcock movies wouldn't feel so much like a chore, I would have continued watching them sooner  :P

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »
My next one is North By Northwest (although probably still the DVD) and I have merely been waiting for everyone else to catch up...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
My next one is North By Northwest (although probably still the DVD) and I have merely been waiting for everyone else to catch up...

I have set the next two deadlines to end of November.
Feel free to go even further if you like.

2009-11-30   "North by Northwest" for Achim, Dragonfire, Jon, Rich, Tom
2009-11-30   "Psycho" for Achim, Dragonfire, Jon, RossRoy, Tom

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #262 on: November 01, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
I'm seriously considering it. Play have it for £12, released on 16th. I seriously doubt the other marathon runners will have caught up by then!  :tease:

No you have not worn me out..I'm just still horribly behind.   :laugh:  I will try to catch up this month, though once some work stuff starts up, I'll have to see..it is irritating how work interferes with my movie watching and review writing. 

richierich

« Reply #263 on: November 01, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »

Title: Vertigo

Runtime:129
Certificate:PG
Year:1958
Genres:Suspense/Thriller, Classic

Plot:Considered by many to be director 'Alfred Hitchcock's' greatest achievement comes this fully restored and remastered version of the haunting film classic. This special release also contains a restoration trailer and revealing documentary footage.
Set in San Francisco, 'James Stewart' portrays an acrophobic detective hired to trail a friend's suicidal wife ('Novak'). After he successfully rescues her from a leap into the bay, he finds himself becoming obsessed with the beautifully troubled woman.
One of cinema's most chilling romantic endeavors: it's a fascinating myriad of haunting camera angles shot among some of San Francisco's renowned landmarks. This film is a must for collectors; Leonard Maltin gives 'Vertigo' four stars and hails it as "A genuinely great motion picture that demands multiple viewings."

My Review:
Ponderously slow at times, unnecessarily long, but captivating totally and ridiculously advanced technically for its time. You watch this film and you have to hold your hands up and admit that Hitch was a true genius behind the camera. It's not the greatest storyline, it hasn't got my favourite cast, there are a few appalling romance scenes - but what it does have that keeps you glued to the movie is masterful direction and cinematography, bringing alive deceipt, lies, intrigue, suspense and unhealthy love.
A very psychological film, was it about JS's phobia, was it a sad series of twists in a love story, was it exploring unrequitted love and betrayal, was it highlighting schizophrenia, or possibly male dominance? Whichever you choose you would probably be right, and you find yourself through Hitch's in depth characterisations feeling sorry for JS, Novak and even Bel Geddes at different times.
Not my favourite Hitchcock, but one I most respect, it is dizzying and compulsive. How did he never win an oscar??
My Rating

:D

Najemikon

« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »
 :hmmmm:

Ok, I should be pleased you obviously enjoyed it and it's a great review, Rich, but...  :tease:  "ponderously slow"? Watch it again sometime and I think it will pace better. The opening sets you up for a rollercoaster. Certianly I didn't love it the first time; "appalling romantic scenes"? I'd be interested to know where, because the thing that did annoy me in Hitch's older films are the daft love affairs, but that doesn't happen here:

(click to show/hide)

The final point I don't even know how to question it: "not the greatest storyline"? What was wrong with it? An audacious and brilliant narrative that took the conventions of Film Noir and subverted them.

By the way, I'm not trying to pick on you, it's just lately I can't help feeling we just do random reviews when we used to talk about them a bit more. So I want to be a bit picky and thrash things out more!  :2cents:

richierich

« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »
:hmmmm:

Ok, I should be pleased you obviously enjoyed it and it's a great review, Rich, but...  :tease:  "ponderously slow"? Watch it again sometime and I think it will pace better. The opening sets you up for a rollercoaster. Certianly I didn't love it the first time; "appalling romantic scenes"? I'd be interested to know where, because the thing that did annoy me in Hitch's older films are the daft love affairs, but that doesn't happen here:

(click to show/hide)

The final point I don't even know how to question it: "not the greatest storyline"? What was wrong with it? An audacious and brilliant narrative that took the conventions of Film Noir and subverted them.

By the way, I'm not trying to pick on you, it's just lately I can't help feeling we just do random reviews when we used to talk about them a bit more. So I want to be a bit picky and thrash things out more!  :2cents:
Expanding on my opinions for Jon  :cheers:
Ponderously slow (130mins) - the set-up was dragged out, with the whole trailing by Scottie of Madeleine too repetitive. IMO this could have put a less determined viewer off.
Appalling romantic scenes - rewatch their first kiss, as she 'melts' in his arms at the touch of his lips - come on!!! it's the worst part of older films, they used to bump and grind in them days same as we do now. And the 'swooning' when he puts his arms round her  :yucky: The later depiction of his romantic obsession is not what I was referring to.
Not the greatest storyline - it isn't? I don't know about film noir or it's conventions, I just know what i like and don't. It's a good storyline, it isn't great.

And 2 other points for me that stop this being a masterpiece and what I didn't mention before; what a disappointing ending, you cannot dispute that! And WTF happened to Midge????

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
Here is another positive review from High-Def Digest. In case you weren't clear in your decision yet :devil:

Najemikon

« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »
Much obliged!

Ponderously slow (130mins) - the set-up was dragged out, with the whole trailing by Scottie of Madeleine too repetitive. IMO this could have put a less determined viewer off.

First time I saw it, I wondered where it was going, but since then it works. If you're interested in such things, it's actually very intricate and there are no wasted moments. It is supposed to repetitive, so this can't be a fault.

Appalling romantic scenes - rewatch their first kiss, as she 'melts' in his arms at the touch of his lips - come on!!! it's the worst part of older films, they used to bump and grind in them days same as we do now. And the 'swooning' when he puts his arms round her  :yucky: The later depiction of his romantic obsession is not what I was referring to.

But the first part as I said is tough to pin down.
(click to show/hide)

Not the greatest storyline - it isn't? I don't know about film noir or it's conventions, I just know what i like and don't. It's a good storyline, it isn't great.

And 2 other points for me that stop this being a masterpiece and what I didn't mention before; what a disappointing ending, you cannot dispute that! And WTF happened to Midge????

All these are connected and are conventions of Film Noir. Fair enough you watched it as it stands, but it is a masterpiece precisely because of how it's structured. You might not like the ending, but...

(click to show/hide)

You might appreciate the alternate ending. Check out the instructions in my review for finding it.

Certainly I do auto-adjust my brain to account for the age of a film, such as things like melodrama, but in this case I think it's both conventional and cancels itself out. Nope, definitely his masterpiece! ;)

Suggested further viewing: Chinatown and Double Indemnity. More typical Noirs, and more modern in Chinatown. You may enjoy it more and after watching Vertigo, some of the elements should stick out like a sore thumb, which they are supposed to do.

Here is another positive review from High-Def Digest. In case you weren't clear in your decision yet :devil:

:redcard: Behave!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
:redcard: Behave!
:bag:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »
Well, my decision is was made, I'll double-dipped. Here is the third stellar review, this time at TheDigitalbits. Heck, the video is rated higher than that of the recent G.I. Joe (which you find at the same link)!

I already prepared an order, just need to actually place it. Problem is, I filled the "basket" with so much stuff that I am now over my limit for one order :surrender: Update: order placed
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:16:13 AM by Achim »