Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon  (Read 222624 times)

Najemikon

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
Is it too late for a newcomer like me to join in on this marathon?  I only joined this site a few months ago but I do have most of Hitch's better movies, including Rear Window, of course.   :tv:

Hey, this isn't an exclusive club! The more the merrier.  :thumbup: And don't be put-off including any we've already reviewed.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2009, 12:46:04 AM »
hey... can I join in and watch Psycho and The Birds??  ;D  :tomato:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »
I actually watched Rope about a week ago...I know we've passed that one.  I had seen bits of it before but for the first time, I sat down and watched the whole thing, even though it was on commercial TV (you know, with commercial interruptions).  It was interesting but rather gimmicky, I thought.  It's not the kind of film I'm going to want to see all the time.

Najemikon

« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
I actually watched Rope about a week ago...I know we've passed that one.  I had seen bits of it before but for the first time, I sat down and watched the whole thing, even though it was on commercial TV (you know, with commercial interruptions).  It was interesting but rather gimmicky, I thought.  It's not the kind of film I'm going to want to see all the time.

It was far better than I remembered, but still, based on a play and done as the basis of a technical experiment. It is technically superb, but I think I prefer the story of Dial M for Murder, which touches on similar things.

Najemikon

« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
Right, as Pete has his, I'll get the ball rolling! Really, I just couldn't wait to watch this again... :thumbup:

Najemikon

Rear Window (1954) *****
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »
Rear Window (1954)
5 out of 5

James Stewart plays L.B. Jeffries, and injured photographer, wheelchair-bound and bored. He fills his time watching his neighbours and becomes convinced that one (Raymond Burr) may have murdered his wife.

My favourite films are the ones with the simplest of plots because there’s plenty of room for great writers to fill the time with detail that may not be necessary, but colours the story nonetheless. This is one of Hitchcock’s skills as a director anyway, so John Michael Haye’s wonderful adaptation of a short story is the perfect screenplay because it gives both of them plenty of room to play. The result is a cheeky, poignant, playful and eventually thrilling film that is a definitive example of the Hitchcock style.

It opens theatrically, with the blinds rolling up and the story unfolds slowly, as we observe Stewart observing his neighbours, making voyeurs of the audience, now complicit in the rude hobby of nosey-parkers! Don’t expect an immediate thrill-ride as the real focus of the film is way off, but watching the lives behind those windows is fascinating and the apartments are all exquisitely detailed. There is no score, as the noise from the street (that we can just see, and is almost another window in itself), the records played by the sexy blonde dancer or the lonely piano player provide a diegetic theme, intriguingly linking the neighbours without them ever really meeting.

There’s plenty to keep the attention during the languid pace before we need to consider the strange behaviour of Lars Thorwald. Has he committed murder or is it all in Jeffries’ mind? We have to rely on Jeff’s point of view and sometimes he frustrates us by falling asleep, but the circumstantial evidence piles up.

He steadily convinces the two women his life that all is not well. Thelma Ritter (All About Eve) as his nurse turns in another dryly witty performance and every one of her lines is a cracker; she describes Grace Kelly as “the right girl for any man with half a brain who can get one eye open”! Why he should need convincing, I have no idea. Her entrance is possibly the most entrancing of any actress, beautifully photographed as she wakes Jeff from a nap, the camera confident in its intimacy. The part was written for Kelly so of course, she is beyond perfect. She is still the delicate and strong character from Dial M for Murder, but now smoother and livelier. If you don’t feel anything as she first fills the screen, check your pulse... ;)

As usual, their relationship is the real story and it feels like the most genuine Hitchcock did. I heard a comment regards Notorious that he wouldn’t make a film again with such heart, but that’s rubbish if the performance between Stewart and Kelly is taken into account. It’s an adult situation, focused by the efforts to catch out Thorwald. Just watch Stewarts expression when Kelly returns from a daring reconnaissance mission! Wordlessly, he completes a subplot and allows the film to move into fifth gear.

There isn’t a lot of suspense until the final act, but it more than makes up for it as the helpless Jeff can only watch events take an awful and serious turn as maybe he has gone too far in his amateur sleuthing. Stewart might be stuck in one place for the entire film, but he really makes you feel it. But then he has always been the ultimate everyman and this is a classic performance. Hitchcock too seems to be willing to be more ruthless and messy in depicting violence. There are a couple of brief but very uncomfortable moments.

A hard sell on paper as there isn’t really a plot, Rear Window is one of the absolute essential Hitchcock films and epitomises his fascination with murder right on your doorstep. It feels like a shift into another level of confidence that will see him create his most famous films over the next few years.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:49:40 AM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2009, 01:19:34 AM »
OK Jon...
I think you convinced me. Rear Window should be the first movie I watch tomorrow for my weekend movie marathon.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2009, 08:13:41 AM »
Let's make it official:
Next deadline 2009-08-10
"Rear Window" for addicted2dvd, Dragonfire, Jon, Rich, RossRoy, Tom

richierich

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »
Let's make it official:
Next deadline 2009-08-10

I hope everyone remembers how significant August 13th is??

Yes - it is my birthday - I accept cash, cheques and dvds  :P

More importantly, I share my birthday with the great Hitch, so I trust everyone will watch one of his masterpieces next Thursday to celebrate his achievements.  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
Well, it's mine today, so "same month" will have to do for me!  :drunk:

Next week is Trouble With Harry, which is a change of pace, but quite wonderful. I see only Tom and I are down for that one, but if you can get it, I really recommend it...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2009, 12:44:46 PM »
Let's make it official:
Next deadline 2009-08-10

If I would have seen this before I posted I would have did my review here... So I will just give a link here to my review...

REAR WINDOW REVIEW
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »

Next week is Trouble With Harry, which is a change of pace, but quite wonderful. I see only Tom and I are down for that one, but if you can get it, I really recommend it...

Happy Birthday to you Jon!  :cheers:
Pete

richierich

« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Happy birthday fellow Leo  :cheers:

You share your birthday with Charlize Theron, David Duchovny, James Randi and Melanie Sykes

Rogmeister

« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
I'm not sure but I think I have The Trouble With Harry...I've been meaning to go into my stored DVDs and pull out my Hitchcock films...

I got a notice today from Amazon.com about a new release of The 39 Steps...of course, I have an earlier edition of that (the set from The Criterion Collection)...  ::)

richierich

« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »
I'm not sure but I think I have The Trouble With Harry...I've been meaning to go into my stored DVDs and pull out my Hitchcock films...

I got a notice today from Amazon.com about a new release of The 39 Steps...of course, I have an earlier edition of that (the set from The Criterion Collection)...  ::)

Hi Roger

Do you not use dvdprofiler to catalogue your dvds?
Sorry if this has been asked before and I've missed it

cheers
Rich