Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Zombies  (Read 9868 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Zombies
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Zombies
This weekend I felt like some more horror movie. I know... I know... what's new? This time around I decided I wanted to watch some Zombie movies. As of now I have 26 zombie movies in my collection... with one more on the way that may make it here before the weekend is over. At least I hope it will.

All Souls Day: Dia de los Muertos
In the remote Mexican village of Santa Bonita, a nightmare lay buried for over a century. But when a group of hard-partying students from the OC are stranded in this strange town, they discover an innkeeper with a dark secret [Laura Harring of MULHOLLAND DRIVE] a sheriff with a shocking past [David Keith of FIRESTARTER] and a holiday that demands the most horrific sacrifice of all. Now the ceremony can commence. The hordes of the undead have been unleashed. And on this day, an unstoppable feast of human flesh has begun!

Marisa Ramirez [GENERAL HOSPITAL], Jeffrey Combs [RE-ANIMATOR], Ellie Cornell [HALLOWEEN 4], Travis Wester [EUROTRIP], and Danny Trejo [THE DEVIL'S REJECTS] co-star in this zombie shocker featuring additional sex, violence and mayhem never before broadcast on television!

My Thoughts:
Not bad... definitely better then average. Though it is a bit on the low-budget side... this is definitely an entertaining movie. One that has a fairly good amount of gore added in. though the story itself could have used some more work. But it is worth the time to put in to watch it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1MKWKYnnAc
Pete

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Zombies
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
Did you ever watch Dead Set, Pete? I know you said you were downloading episodes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
no I didn't! I downloaded them and then ended up completely forgetting about them!  :bag: I will have to make sure I change that!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

Night of the Living Dead (1990)
It’s a new night for terror … and a new dawn in horror movie-making when special-effects genius Tom Savini (creator of the spectacularly gruesome make-up in FRIDAY THE 13TH and CREEPSHOW) brings modern technology to this colorful remake of George A. Romero’s 1968 cult classic.

Seven strangers are trapped in an isolated farmhouse while cannibalistic zombies – awakened from death by the return of a radioactive space probe – wage a relentless attack, killing (and eating) everyone in their path. The classic for the 90’s graphic, gruesome and more terrifying than ever!

My Thoughts:
OK... I said it before and I will say it again. In this case I actually prefer this remake to the original! I just couldn't hack Barbara's whining, crying and screaming in the original.  Yes... I know... in the beginning Barbara is still all scared and crying... but she is quickly out of that in this version! This is the way I want to see Barbara! Not to mention that I am a huge fan of Tony Todd. Between those 2 things... it really feels like this remake was made catered to me. As much as I love the original... and I do love the original!.. I have to say in this case I definitely prefer the remake! How often can someone say that?

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0iGdsN_3M
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
How often can someone say that?
Say what...?

BTW, Pete, which do you prefer, original or remake?

:P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »
I dunno.... I am undecided on the matter.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »

House of the Dead
It's Spring Break and the college kids just want to party. When they charter a boat to take them to a rave on a nearby island, they arrive only to find it deserted, except for the bloodthirsty zombies that have taken it over. A frantic search begins for weapons to use against the encroaching killers because, as nighttime falls, their only hope for survival is to win the final battle...in the HOUSE OF THE DEAD.

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I watched this movie since I bought it. The first time I found it to be completely terrible and let it go for 5 years before watching it again. Well today I decided just maybe it will be one of those movies that watching the second time won't be as bad as the first since I know what to expect going into it. I have to admit... that did work a little... as I was able to turn off my brain and try to just enjoy what was in front of me. And I will admit I did get some entertainment value out of it. But I still didn't care too much for it. Setting the plot holes aside (I won't even go into all that!) I just could not get into the whole video game insertions... I found that to be more aggravating then anything else. This movie has the fast (running, jumping, powerful) zombies. I personally prefer the old style slow and stupid zombies... but I can forgive and enjoy the ones with the fast ones. The slow-motion bullets took away from it a little for me as well. And all that camera movement crap to make it more like a video game. I started to fear I would go into an epileptic fit!  OK... so how do you rate a movie that the only thing it has going for it is some (and the emphasis really is one some) fun violence action? Oh... and also did have some cute girls that were drool-worthy for those of us that enjoy watching the  pretty girls in movies!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbShiJ3h0-U
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »

House of the Dead II
A growing zombie infection overtakes an isolated university campus. Hoping to stop the spread of the infection and end the zombie plague, a secret government agency is sent in to find patient Zero, the original zombie, from which the infection started, and create an antidote. Once on campus, agency operatives Alex (Emanuelle Vaugier) and Ellis (Ed Quinn) find the entire university has been completely overrun! Immersed in a giant zombie battle, Alex and Ellis discover some of their fellow agents have their own plans for the zombie DNA...

My Thoughts:
After the first House of the Dead movie I thought I would never buy this one. But then I started to hear people say this one is much better then the first one. Going beyond a better story... no more video game inserts... no more epileptic inducing camera work. And they were right. Compared to the first movie this is a HUGE improvement. But even with that being said... I've still seen better zombie movies. But at least this one is very much enjoyable... a good, strong zombie flick. If you seen and hated the first House of the Dead and you dismissed this movie as more of the same... I recommend giving this one a chance. Spend some time at Zombie U!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvlweEfUBE
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »

Shaun of the Dead
Get ready for a gut-busting, bone-mashing good time in the hilarious horror comedy, Shaun of the Dead.

There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies. When flesh-eating zombies are on the hunt for a bite to eat, it's up to slacker Shaun (Simon Pegg) and his best pal Ed (Nick Frost) to save their friends and family from becoming the next entrée. Satisfy your bloodthirsty appetite with the movie that masters of horror and film critics alike are hailing as the funniest and scariest movie of the year. Novelist Stephen King gushes "it's a 10 on the fun meter and destined to be a cult classic." and Newsweek calls Shaun of the Dead "a bloody hoot!" It's a screamingly hilarious zomedy that will have you dying with laughter.

My Thoughts:
I thought it was about time to put one in that is just plain fun... a zombie movie that has a generous mixture of comedy. And this is a good, funny movie. I have to admit... I got several good laughs from Shaun's friend Ed (I especially liked his "we're coming to get you Barbara" homage to NOTLD)... as well as many other parts of the movie. But Shaun of the Dead has more to offer then some laughs. There is a nice amount of violence and good effects. Not only is this a very enjoyable movie... the DVD release is incredible... I am surprised with the amount of extras on this disc... it does not considered a special edition.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDUv3ZjH2k
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
You really have to consider getting Spaced, Pete.  :thumbup:

Oh, and you might enjoy Hot Fuzz too...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Jon... I been curios about Spaced for some time now.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »

Planet Terror
'DIRECTOR ROBERT RODRIGUEZ (SIN CITY) IS BACK' with a rip-roaring, zombie-infested rollercoaster of a movie that "sure as hell keeps you hanging on for the ride" (Peter Travers, 'Rolling Stone'). Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Bruce Willis, and an all-star cast fight for their lives in the ultimate showdown between an army of flesh-eating mutants and a motley group of rag-tag survivors. Featuring one of the most memorable screen heroines ever and the now legendary mock 'Machete' trailer, "'Planet Terror' is a total blast - funny, gloriously gory and over the top" (Christy Lemire, 'Associated Press').

My Thoughts:
The last time I watched this (just over 1 year ago on 2/9/08) I was less then thrilled with it even though I did get some enjoyment from it. My main problem with it was how they purposely made a new film look like old film stock. Now that I have had plenty time to get used to the style they used on this film I was able to enjoy it much more then I did the last time (I guess this means I should give Death Proof another chance). Sure I have seen better... but this is definitely worth giving a chance... even a second chance if you are like me.  This film has it's share of gore... that is for sure. Some really cringe-worthy stuff in here. Sure there is some over-the-top unbelievable stuff in this one as well... but it fits in this movie. I definitely recommend this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQpXdSC4UFk
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »
I think I had my feel of zombie movies a little early this weekend so think I will end my marathon here.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
Planet Terror
As a fan of this genre of movie this is one film that I will never like (the complete Grindhouse affair). It's an insult to all the exploitation genre. Those movies were not made with a multi millions budget and big name actor. Those movies were a work of love, maybe the acting isn't as good (not the case at all) than a ripoff like that but at least the actors and the crews care.

If I want to watch an exploitation film I will watch the real thing, I don't need a ripoff for that ::)