Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/6 - 2/8  (Read 25362 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/6 - 2/8
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »

Teen Wolf
What's a high school kid got to do to be popular? Just let down his hair and howl! Starring Michael J. Fox ('Back to the Future') 'Teen Wolf' is an outrageous comedy about a shy teenager with more than a changing voice to contend with... he's a budding young werewolf! And when his new-found powers help him score at basketball - and with the popular girls - he has some pretty hairy decisions to make.

My Thoughts:
OK... lets face it... Teen Wolf is far from award winning entertainment. But what it is... is good cheesy fun. Something to watch when you just want to sit back and enjoy. It is a real twist on the coming of age story. I think the whole werewolf idea is why I enjoy it so much... I definitely enjoy the monster movies... whether you can classify them as horror or not.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
I got talked into watching most of the first one on television.  It was even the edited version and what the one character did - the one played by Cary Elwes - gave me bad dreams that night.  So no more of those movies for me.  I like some horror..but the ones that have vampires and ghosts and stuff like that..not just people being tortured for basically no reason.

northbloke

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
I'm a big horror fan, but I agree with Dragonfire - the Saw films have always left me cold. I was quite enjoying the first one up until the point...
(click to show/hide)
I tried watching the second one, but I just couldn't bring myself to be interested in bland characters being tortured for no reason but to entertain me.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Teen Wolf Too
Meet a college freshman who's having trouble fitting into his "genes" – family ones, that is – when he finds out his uncle and cousin are werewolves... and so is he! Now the clean cut science student is the star of the boxing team with a hair raising right hook and an animal attraction to his curvy coeds. Starring Jason Bateman (Necessary Roughness), this four fang film is sure to bring out the party animal in everyone!

My Thoughts:
Well... I would say this is more of the same as the last one.... and it it... but it just isn't as good. I mean it has it's entertainment value... but as no more then an average movie. I can understand why they released this one as a double feature along with part 1. As I know I for one probably wouldn't have paid extra money to have it in my collection. But considering I got this years ago for $7.50 at Walmart for both movies... who am I to complain? I have  never really been a huge fan of Jason Bateman... I mean he is ok I guess... but not someone who I would seek out the work of.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »
I tried watching the second one, but I just couldn't bring myself to be interested in bland characters being tortured for no reason but to entertain me.
I've watch the first one and find it ok, a little bit like Cube but only with 2 prisoners and not as good. The second one was not too bad, a copy of Cube and a plot full of non sense. The third, end of the serie for me since absolutly nothing make a little bit of sense. If I want to watch a movie were random people are tortured for no reason, I will watch something like Guinea Pigs (at least I don't have to endure a plot full of hole for 90 minutes)...

By the way : Welcome to the forum northbloke  :dance:
I'm AESP_pres on the other forum and I'm much more active here than there.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 05:42:16 AM »
Saw V? A mere half point off being perfect? Surely not!
I used to be irritated by some of Pete's ratings myself. I also tend to try to look a little objective at a film when rating it, attampting to consider it's "general worthiness" in the result.

Then it dawned on me that Pete is doing it better, actually! He doesn't give a §$&% about what other are or might be thinking. The rating he applies is purely his own opinion and whether he enjoyed the film or not.

So, if, let's say, Casablanca bores the hell out of him (not saying it would or wouldn't), he rate it half a star. If Saw V tickles his fancy, he won't hesitate to give it four and a half. Hats off to that!

RossRoy

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »
I used to be irritated by some of Pete's ratings myself.

That's a bit harsh, being irritated because of someones rating of a movie  :tease:

So, if, let's say, Casablanca bores the hell out of him (not saying it would or wouldn't), he rate it half a star. If Saw V tickles his fancy, he won't hesitate to give it four and a half. Hats off to that!

I like that too. I actually try to do it myself as well - but that's also why I went with little smiley face instead of a numerical score. I feel like a numerical score force me into comparing movies to one another and grading accordingly, whereas the smiley system let's me just say "i enjoyed that" or not. :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 06:38:33 AM »
I used to be irritated by some of Pete's ratings myself.

That's a bit harsh, being irritated because of someones rating of a movie  :tease:
:-[

Probably a translation problem (I might wanna look into that, as I use that phrasde a lot :fingerchew:). Think alng "confused", is where I was going at...

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
I follow the same idea and will not rate something unless I mean it, though I do tend to end-up following the herd and agree with popular opinion on the very good and the very bad. I'm struggling with my Oscar marathon at the moment because I think they're all going to be 5 out 5 which looks silly, but hey, I obviously only buy Oscar winners when the Academy gets it right! :bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »
Saw V? A mere half point off being perfect? Surely not!
I used to be irritated by some of Pete's ratings myself. I also tend to try to look a little objective at a film when rating it, attampting to consider it's "general worthiness" in the result.

Then it dawned on me that Pete is doing it better, actually! He doesn't give a §$&% about what other are or might be thinking. The rating he applies is purely his own opinion and whether he enjoyed the film or not.

Thanks Achim...
That is exactly how I see doing reviews. I don't care at all what others thought of a movie. I go strictly by what I see on the screen. After all... that is what a review is... is it not? Your own opinion of a movie? All I want to do is share my opinion. Just like I don't care if people don't agree with my view of a movie. I think that is only natural.

The only thing that will bother me... is people that sit there and basically tell you that you are an idiot for having a different opinion on a movie. Which I do see at a lot of sites... but also why I love this site so much... because it seems like everyone here respects other peoples opinions... whether they agree with them or not. Oh sure there could be a little poking in the ribs here... but that is just having fun.

Just for the record... I think Casablanca is a good movie... but I do find parts of the movie mind-numbingly slow. So I would say I would probably give it a rating of somewhere between 3 and 3.5  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
Just for the record... I think Casablanca is a good movie... but I do find parts of the movie mind-numbingly slow. So I would say I would probably give it a rating of somewhere between 3 and 3.5  :P

I feel sick. :shutup:

;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »
I can top that: I've never seen Casablanca or Gone With the Wind and don't intend to ever doing so. :p
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »

I feel sick. :shutup:

;)

:laugh:

I can top that: I've never seen Casablanca or Gone With the Wind and don't intend to ever doing so. :p

I have Gone with the Wind on DVD... but have never watched it yet. Mainly because it is such a long movie!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »

:redcard: :o

Go and stand in the corner. Or sit on the naughty step. Whatever you prefer. I would never try to persuade you to watch a film you didn't want to see, but for crying out loud, how can you possibly mention Casablanca in the same sentence as that bum-numbing pile of crap? Oh, it's pretty, but it's about as much fun as sticking pins in your eyes!

All that said, Casablanca would surprise a lot of people. It's very fast and funny, and I even managed to compare it with Star Wars the other day! You'd watch a new Star Wars film set entirely in Mos Eisley, wouldn't you?  ;)

richierich

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »

You know how conservative I can be on reviews.

Casablanca is really a good film. Forget all the hype that you hear about this and other supposed classics like Citizen Kane, it is an enjoyable movie despite the cardigan wearing pipe-smoking movie buffs who always want to disect it and explain with a load of bollox why it is a masterpiece. It is just a good movie to me.

(Jon quickly takes his cardie off)   :hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical: