Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/6 - 2/8  (Read 25544 times)

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/6 - 2/8
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
I can top that: I've never seen Casablanca or Gone With the Wind and don't intend to ever doing so. :p

You know how conservative I can be on reviews.

Casablanca is really a good film. Forget all the hype that you hear about this and other supposed classics like Citizen Kane, it is an enjoyable movie despite the cardigan wearing pipe-smoking movie buffs who always want to disect it and explain with a load of bollox why it is a masterpiece. It is just a good movie to me.

(Jon quickly takes his cardie off)   :hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

I wear my cardie with pride, goddamit! However you've hit on an excellent point and I may I direct you to my recent review, found in my Oscar marathon thread?  :laugh:

Citizen Kane is a classic masterpiece of the highest order, but the important thing to realise about Casablanca is that it was never intended to be such a film. It's at heart a well written genre movie and if fate hadn't stepped in, it would have been no better or worse than the sort of regular films released in the Fox Film Noir series. The bloody script wasn't even finished even by at least halfway.

I love all movies, but I don't think I'm a pretentious cardie wearing boor. If a supposed classic doesn't float my boat, I move on. I like to analyse where appropriate and that's why I love Casablanca. There's nothing to analyse! It works, brilliantly well, and all the better that it confounds the scoresheet. Apparently Ingrid Bergman was always bemused that the film she put the least faith in came out so far ahead of everything else she did. Of all the films I've reviewed so far in that marathon (and for a while yet) it's the most watchable and timeless.

richierich

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »
I can top that: I've never seen Casablanca or Gone With the Wind and don't intend to ever doing so. :p

You know how conservative I can be on reviews.

Casablanca is really a good film. Forget all the hype that you hear about this and other supposed classics like Citizen Kane, it is an enjoyable movie despite the cardigan wearing pipe-smoking movie buffs who always want to disect it and explain with a load of bollox why it is a masterpiece. It is just a good movie to me.

(Jon quickly takes his cardie off)   :hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

I wear my cardie with pride, goddamit! However you've hit on an excellent point and I may I direct you to my recent review, found in my Oscar marathon thread?  :laugh:

Citizen Kane is a classic masterpiece of the highest order, but the important thing to realise about Casablanca is that it was never intended to be such a film. It's at heart a well written genre movie and if fate hadn't stepped in, it would have been no better or worse than the sort of regular films released in the Fox Film Noir series. The bloody script wasn't even finished even by at least halfway.

I love all movies, but I don't think I'm a pretentious cardie wearing boor. If a supposed classic doesn't float my boat, I move on. I like to analyse where appropriate and that's why I love Casablanca. There's nothing to analyse! It works, brilliantly well, and all the better that it confounds the scoresheet. Apparently Ingrid Bergman was always bemused that the film she put the least faith in came out so far ahead of everything else she did. Of all the films I've reviewed so far in that marathon (and for a while yet) it's the most watchable and timeless.

You are not a boor (despite the cardie) I was pulling your leg.

I am going to give Citizen Kane one more chance. On previous viewings i have been totally underwhelmed, perhaps because it has been so over-hyped?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
The problem is the sentence "It's a classic. Every movie fan has to see it!". I've tried that with a few of these classics (e.g. The Godfather) and was bored to death.

So my ground rule is: If the movie is from before my birth year I must have seen it at least once (on TV, by accident) to render at least a faint interest.

These are the movies from before 1977 that I own:

TitleOriginal TitleCountry of OriginProduction Year
DumboDumboUnited States1941
The Seven SamuraiShichinin no samuraiJapan1954
Yojimbo the BodyguardYojimboJapan1961
Treasure of Silver LakeDer Schatz im SilberseeGermany1962
Winnetou the WarriorWinnetou IGermany1963
Mary PoppinsMary PoppinsUnited States1964
Frontier HellcatUnter GeiernGermany1964
Winnetou: Last of the RenegadesWinnetou IIGermany1964
ShatterhandOld ShatterhandGermany1964
A Fistful of DollarsPer un pugno di dollariItaly1964
Winnetou: The Desperado TrailWinnetou IIIGermany1965
Rampage at Apache WellsDer ÖlprinzGermany1965
Flaming FrontierOld SurehandGermany1965
For a Few Dollars MorePer qualche dollaro in piùItaly1965
Half-BreedWinnetou und das Halbblut ApanatschiGermany1966
The Sons of Great BearDie Söhne der großen BärinGermany1966
Winnetou: Thunder at the BorderWinnetou und sein Freund Old FirehandGermany1966
Asterix the GaulAstérix le GauloisFrance1967
God Forgives... I Don't!Dio perdona... Io no!1967
Chingachgook - Die große SchlangeChingachgook - Die große SchlangeGermany1967
Winnetou and Shatterhand in the Valley of DeathWinnetou und Shatterhand im Tal der TotenGermany1968
Asterix and CleopatraAstérix et CléopâtreFrance1968
My Name Is TrinityLo chiamavano TrinitàItaly1969
M*A*S*HM*A*S*HUnited States1970
Tora! Tora! Tora!Tora! Tora! Tora!United States1970
Blackie the PirateIl corsaro neroItaly1971
Trinity Is Still My Name!...continuavano a chiamarlo TrinitàItaly1971
All the Way BoysPiù forte, ragazzi!Italy1972
TecumsehTecumsehGermany1972
Man of the EastE poi lo chiamarono il magnificoItaly1972
The GodfatherThe GodfatherUnited States1972
Watch Out, We're MadAltrimenti ci arrabbiamoItaly1973
ApachenApachenGermany1973
Three Nuts for CinderellaTri orísky pro PopelkuCzech Republic1973
My Name Is NobodyIl mio nome e' NessunoItaly1973
UlzanaUlzanaGermany1974
The Godfather: Part IIThe Godfather: Part IIUnited States1974
Turn the Other CheekPorgi l'altra guanciaItaly1974
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestUnited States1975
The Rocky Horror Picture ShowThe Rocky Horror Picture ShowUnited States1975
A Genius, Two Friends, and an IdiotUn Genio, due compari, un polloItaly1975
The Twelve Tasks of AsterixLes Douze travaux d'AstérixFrance1976
Crime BustersI due superpiedi quasi piattiItaly1976
RockyRockyUnited States1976
Logan's RunLogan's RunUnited States1976

Blind buys were: Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I disliked: The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »
Looking at that list, Karsten, I'd say you'd probably enjoy Casablanca. Perhaps not blown away, but it's a good, optimistic, do-the-right-thing story, well-told, with a straightforward plot and a great cast of characters. In that sense I can see similarities with Seven Samurai of all things, but definitely not with The Godfather, which you have to work at and has a much darker message buried in it. If you can't be bothered to dig or fail to like the message (it is about criminals after all) then The Godfather is the worst film ever made, not the best.

You also have to work at Citizen Kane! Richie, first time I saw it, I thought it was good, but couldn't see what the fuss was about. Third time was during a film studies course (where everyone was required to have patches on their elbows!) and it clicked. Then I found it heartbreaking and brilliant. I have seen very few American films since that can match just how clever I think that screenplay is. You may still not like it, but consider this:

When you watch it again, just think about whose point of view the story is from. It's split into segments as the reporter from the start interviews different people associated with Kane. We strictly what he sees (in fact we never see his face). We can only know what he is also learning and we can only piece it together as he does. Until one key point at which it is impossible that the reporter is privy to it as well. It is a scene for the viewer and it's very different, relating to the snowglobe at the beginning. It gives us key information to make sure the very last scene makes sense to us, while all the characters have given up. They have failed to see or consider the human element.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:30:45 PM by Jon »