Author Topic: James Bond Marathon  (Read 105302 times)

richierich

Re: James Bond Marathon
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
your last rating isn't showing up Tom?

richierich

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »
The Living Daylights

In this installment of the James Bond series, Agent 007 (Timothy Dalton) is assigned to protect a Russian defector (Maryam d'Abo) from the KGB. When the defection proves to be an elaborate ploy, Bond woos her anyway, and together they follow a trail to a crooked American arms dealer supplying weapons to Afghanistan. Dalton finally assumes the role of Bond after refusing it 16 years earlier with DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. The film is loosely based on Ian Fleming's short story.

Dalton brought a certain charm and seriousness to Bond, but never seemed to have an edge either in action or delivering the one-liners. The opening scenes racing across Gibraltor were excellent, and the cast work well together in what must be perhaps the last 007 film shot during the cold war.
This decent spy thriller would have deserved a better mark, but was really let down by what I thought was a disappointing ending.
 :D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2009, 12:13:13 AM »
Not just the rating but the complete review, I suppose that he had decided to does it like you do usually.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2009, 12:58:15 AM »
Not just the rating but the complete review, I suppose that he had decided to does it like you do usually.

Fixed it. By accident, I saved my review comments under the additional info variable I use for the rating. Thus my actual review was put inside the "mr" tag :laugh:

By the way, Rich: The way you do it, I often only see reviews of yours, when you put up the next one, because the first one doesn't show up as unread post (because it isn't a new post, but an edit to an existing one).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:00:13 AM by Tom »

richierich

« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »

Fixed it. By accident, I saved my review comments under the additional info variable I use for the rating. Thus my actual review was put inside the "mr" tag :laugh:

By the way, Rich: The way you do it, I often only see reviews of yours, when you put up the next one, because the first one doesn't show up as unread post (because it isn't a new post, but an edit to an existing one).

Yeah I might have to change my ways.
I do a lot of my reviews when at work, and like to brighten my day by putting the film up I will watch that evening, and read up on it.  :hmmmm:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »

Title: GoldenEye
Year: 1995
Director: Martin Campbell
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Pierce Brosnan
Sean Bean
Izabella Scorupco
Famke Janssen
Joe Don Baker

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Pierce Brosnan is a good Bond. The movie started out really well with a great stunt. Also the opening theme is one of my favorite of the franchise (I know most Bond fans do not agree with me). But then the movie looses fast. It cannot keep up with what the first few minutes promised. But there are some highlights. I liked the chase with the tank. Judi Dench as the new M is a good choice. Samantha Bond's Moneypenny is far better than the one of the Dalton era and hits the spirit of Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny (especially her early appearences).
I didn't like the villains all that much here. Sean Bean as the renegade double-O agent is too much of a cliché. Famke Janssen as the henchwoman who always is on the verge of an orgasm is a bad joke. I liked Alan Cumming as the Russian computer wizz though.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
I think Goldeneye was verging on a perfect Bond movie except for one thing. They completely screwed up the music. Tina's song was ok, but the theme was dreadful; a Frenchman banging empty paint tins is not the way to do the music!  :devil: For all the complaints about the other Brosnan's, David Arnold was much better.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
And now I'm behind on the Bond movies too...being behind on the Hitchcock movies just wasn't enough for me evidently.   :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »
And now I'm behind on the Bond movies too...being behind on the Hitchcock movies just wasn't enough for me evidently.   :laugh:

Come on Marie, you are slacking, it's just not good enough    :laugh:

Throw a sickie from work and get a couple of days on the sofa  :tv:

richierich

« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
Licence To Kill

James Bond (Timothy Dalton) takes on his most daring adventure ever when he turns renegade and goes head to head with one of the international drug cartel’s most brutal and powerful leaders. This time, he’s fighting not for country, not for justice…but for revenge!

This is possibly the worst 007 film for me, Dalton is a disappointing lead, there are few moments of humourous respite, M has aged badly into the role, and the Moneypenny used in last 2 films is ill-fitting. The darker side of Bond is attempted here perhaps paving the way for Daniel Craigs portrayal, with his pursuit of revenge whilst renegade from the service. There are good stunts and a convincing villain in Robert Davi, and thank god Q made an impromptu appearance.
However I found this predictable, too far away from my ideal James Bond mould, and with a 2nd rate casting.
 :-\

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »
I think part of it with the Bond movies is that I've never watched the two with Dalton.  I was a bit..ummm..irked you could say when he ended up getting the part and I've avoided his Bond movies because of that.  I liked Pierce Brosnan from Remington Steele at the time, and so I was happy when it was announced that he was getting the part...then all the complications with the show came up, he was no longer Bond, and to make it worse, the show was canceled too.  So...I have issues with Dalton as Bond.  :laugh:  I'm just going to have to make myself watch them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:50 PM »

Title: Tomorrow Never Dies
Year: 1997
Director: Roger Spottiswoode
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 114 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Music Only: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Pierce Brosnan
Jonathan Pryce
Michelle Yeoh
Teri Hatcher
Ricky Jay

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this Bond movie. It was one of the first I have ever watched. It was the first I watched in the cinema. Until then I never really bothered to watch any Bonds. One of the main reasons for watching it was Teri Hatcher. At the time "Lois & Clark" was on TV and I was a big fan of the show.
But now I must admit, that Michelle Yeoh was the better Bond girl in this movie. She kicked ass while looking hot doing so.
While I am a big BMW fan, it does not fit into Bond movies. Especially if such a common car like the series 7 is used. It dates much more than if a more exotic car is used. The next movie's BMW Z8 was the only one of Bond's BMWs, which is exotic enough for a Bond movie, but sadly that one had only little screen time.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:58 AM »

Armed with razor-sharp instincts and a licence to kill, James Bond battles diabolical arms merchants bent on world domination in this thrilling, lightning-paced adventure. Timothy Dalton brings energy, humour and ruthless cunning to his debut performance as Agent 007.

My Thoughts

This is a decent Bond movie, but it is far from one of my favorites.  The plot is fine, though some aspects of it - mainly the Russian military guy coming up with a plot - has been done before in the Bond movies.  The action scenes are mostly decent, though Bond and the woman use her cello case for a sled is just ridiculous and didn't work at all in my opinion.  Timothy Dalton is ok as Bond, though he isn't my favorite in the part.  He is more serious in the part and I missed the bits of humor that popped up in the previous movies.  The woman playing Miss Moneypenny is all wrong and I didn't believe her interest in James when she did attempt to flirt with him.  This is minor, but I hated the theme song. 

:D

I still have to watch the extras on my DVD..and I'll get a more detailed review posted at Epinions eventually.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »

Title: Never Say Never Again
Year: 1983
Director: Irvin Kershner
Rating: PG
Length: 134 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: French, Spanish

Stars:
Sean Connery
Klaus Maria Brandauer
Max Von Sydow
Barbara Carrera
Kim Basinger

Plot:
Sean Connery is back for his final performance as superagent James Bond in this high-velocity action thriller from the director of The Empire Strikes Back. When two atomic warheads are hijacked by the evil SPECTRE organization, Agent 007 is hurled into an explosive pulse-pounding race to save the world from nuclear terrorists!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Collectible Booklet
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This was the first time that I have seen this movie. It is better than I have expected. In the beginning it was like a Bond parody. But I liked it as a Bond parody. Sadly they didn't really continue with this path.
Rowan Atkinson was practicing for being Johnny English :laugh:
The character I most feared that it will suffer from the change in cast was Q. But I rather liked this take on the character.
I found it good, that they addressed Sean Connery's age somewhat. But Connery still looks more believable as Bond at this age, than Moore ever did, in my opinion.

Rating:

richierich

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:35 AM »
Goldeneye

Pierce Brosnan ignites the screen in his first adventure as the unstoppable James Bond.  When a powerful satellite system falls into the hands of a former ally-turned-enemy, only 007 can save the world from an awesome space weapon that -- in one short pulse -- could destroy the earth!

Thank heavens for the return of an enjoyable and likeable James Bond! Pierce Brosnan suits the role brilliantly, and with the introduction of Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane and a new Moneypenny the series got back on track.
Memorable intro with the bungee jump down the dam wall, followed by a meeting with 006 (Sean Bean) and finally the skydiving from a motorbike off a cliff to catch the falling plane and escape. The theme song on the otherhand was totally unremarkable and very forgettable.
Action in bucketloads, effects to die for, the most gorgeous women (especially Famke Janssen from X-Men fame), and a lead who oozes charm, wit and daring in equal measures.
Park reality and enjoy a great film.
 :thumbup: