Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/9 - 1/11  (Read 11862 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/9 - 1/11
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:23:14 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
1/9 - 1/11
I have been looking forward to this weekend since I made this month's DVD order. I have a lot of movies I never seen before that I really been wanting to see for a long time now. Even though the most of these movies are superhero movies... not all of them are. Plus I may throw in a couple old favorites as well if I get the chance... so... no theme what so ever to my marathon this time. Just going by whatever mood hits at the time. So I decided on...

Iron Man
Lift off with high-speed, high-flying action in this Ultimate 2-disc Edition that takes you inside the suit of Marvel's invincible Super Hero for the ultimate 'Iron Man' experience!

After surviving an unexpected attack in enemy territory, jet-setting industrialist Tony Stark builds a high-tech suit of armor and vows to protect the world as 'Iron Man'. Straight from the pages of the legendary comic book, 'Iron Man' is a hero who is built - not born - to be unlike any other!

My Thoughts:
I used to watch the old Iron Man cartoon all the time when I was a kid. It was always one of my favorites. So needless to say I was thrilled when I heard there was a big screen version coming out. I will admit I was concerned when I heard that Robert Downey, Jr. got the roll of Tony Stark/Iron Man.... since even though he is a decent enough actor... he never really impressed me all that much. But I must admit... I really liked him in this movie. He seemed to nail the role for me. I don't remember ever seeing the origin story of Iron Man... so I can't say how true to the comics/toons it is. But it is a movie I definitely enjoyed every second of. Sure there was some things that was really unbelievable in the storyline... like being able to create the suit he did in captivity... without the captors being any the wiser about it. But you know... I really didn't mind it. It worked for me. If there was anything in this movie that did NOT work for me it had to be the last thing Tony Stark said in the movie... at that last press conference. That to me just did not work. And should have never been added in there in my opinion. That one sentence lead to a bit of a disappointing feeling to finish the movie out with. But I am anxious on how they will continue the story. So I am hoping we see a sequel real soon!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/9 - 1/11
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
If there was anything in this movie that did NOT work for me it had to be the last thing Tony Stark said in the movie... at that last press conference. That to me just did not work. And should have never been added in there in my opinion. That one sentence lead to a bit of a disappointing feeling to finish the movie out with. But I am anxious on how they will continue the story.

(click to show/hide)

Did you watch until after the end credits? There is an additional scene.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
No I didn't! thanks for letting me know! I will have to watch it.... NOW! :p Damn! I usually do that the first time I watch a movie too!  :slaphead:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »
DAMN!!!... OK... now I REALLY can't wait for the sequel!!!!

And damn those credits was long... I felt like I was waiting forever with having it in FF mode X16 speed!  :stars:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
DAMN!!!... OK... now I REALLY can't wait for the sequel!!!!

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
Yeah that is what I got from it as well.

(click to show/hide)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)

There is also a real sequel planned for 2010.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
Awesome... twice the fun!   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:37:02 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »

The Incredible Hulk
Academy Award® nominee Edward Norton stars as scientist Bruce Banner, a man who has been living in shadows, scouring the planet for an antidote to the unbridled force of rage within him: the Hulk. But when the military masterminds who dream of exploiting his powers force him back to civilization, he finds himself coming face to face with his most formidable foe: the Abomination - a nightmarish beast of pure aggression whose powers match the Hulk's own!

Also starring Liv Tyler, Oscar® nominee Tim Roth, and Oscar® winner William Hurt, The Incredible Hulk is "steeped in action and spectacular special effects" (Claudia Puig, USA Today) and delivers a mind-blowing final showdown that can only be summed up with one word... INCREDIBLE!

My Thoughts:
OK... This one I was really looking forward to. Even though I tried not to I went into it with my hopes pretty high on it. After watching this movie I can say... Finally, an Incredible Hulk movie that is worthy of the title! It seems like everything the first Hulk movie did wrong this one did right. The story is ten times better... the special effects are much better... as are the actors. The fight between The Hulk and Abomination was great... lasted just long enough. Some of these movies tend to extend that final fight longer then it should be. I went into this movie thinking this would be my favorite movie of this marathon... but after only two movies I can not say that. As much as I loved this movie... and I did love it... I enjoyed Iron Man a little bit more.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
I am glad that you liked it and that you weren't disappointed by it :)
Like you I also think that this movie did it right. This is how the first movie should have been like and the Hulk movie franchise wouldn't have such a hard standing (I think).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
I am just glad I watched them in the order I did...
(click to show/hide)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »

Resident Evil: Degeneration
The first ever CGI Resident Evil full length feature film based on Capcom's multi-million dollar game/film franchise! A zombie attack brings chaos to Harvardville Airport. Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield - former special forces members during the Raccoon City tragedy 7 years ago - battle a rogue warrior who is seeking revenge against WilPharma and the bio-weapons industry after his family was killed in Raccoon City. The deadly G-Virus is unleashed and a new mutated monster goes on the attack.

My Thoughts:
OK... I thought it may be a good time for a bit of a change of pace. A move from Superheroes to Animated Horror. I bought this DVD purely out of curiosity. Not really knowing what to expect or if I would enjoy it. Even though I found it to be an interesting release... and have some great animation. I found the movie itself to be a bit on the slow side... but it did have some cool scenes. I am not sorry I got it... but at the same time it is not one I will watch too often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »

Hancock
Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.

When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again — until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.

My Thoughts:
This one was another blind buy for me. But I always thought the trailer looked awesome. Unfortunately I wouldn't go that far to describe the movie. It is a good movie I was able to enjoy.... but it is no where near the caliber of Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk. Or really any of the other big time Superhero movies I enjoy watching (Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, and so on). It is definitely a different type of Superhero movie... and I do give it credit for that. I just didn't find it to be as enjoyable.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
I just didn't find it to be as enjoyable.

I almost thought as much, that this movie is not really for you. A lot of people were disappointed, as the trailer promised a different kind of movie. But I thought it was a great movie!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
yeah... that could be a big part of it now that I think about it. It really wasn't what I was expecting after watching the trailer. And like I said... it isn't a bad movie... I did enjoy it. So I am wondering if I may not enjoy it even more on the next viewing now that I know what to expect from it. Oh well... only time will tell.
Pete