Author Topic: Valkyrie  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Valkyrie
« on: January 09, 2009, 04:24:11 AM »
I decided to go see Valkyrie a few days ago.  I know it has gotten some mixed reviews, but I don't always agree with critics..and sometimes completely disagree with them. 

I'm really not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I will still see a movie he is in if I think it looks interesting or entertaining.  So Cruise really played no part in my decision to see the movie.  It probably would have been better if someone else played Stauffenberg, but I still thought the movie was good.  Not great, but good.

The movie was based on true events about a group of men - in the Germany military - who tried to kill Hitler.  I hadn't known about the plot before seeing the movie.  For some reason, that was never covered in my history classes.  I did some research about it after seeing the movie, and it seemed like the movie was pretty accurate on the real events.

I thought the movie was done well, though it isn't a movie for everyone. 

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Valkyrie

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 04:42:02 AM »
My brother is the expert on this subject in the familly. He is an historian who had never really works in the domain and now he works in a completly different domain. But he is as crazy with the WW2 time period (mostly the european action) than me with my movies. All this to say that I can try to reach him this weekend to see what he knows on the subject and if the film is honest (I'm sure that he haven't watch it, but we never know).

He own a "ton" of books about the NAZI Germany so he have probably something about this. But to be honest, I don't think that an Hollywood movie is a big fountain of truth (think of Pearl Harbour, The Alamo, U-571, ...)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:26:07 AM »
Oh I know.  And I know some stuff was changed or condensed a bit..and a few people involved weren't mentioned in the movie.  I just meant that it seemed like the things connected to the specific plot against Hitler in the movie seemed to have been shown fairly close to how they happened from what I read about the events of that day.  With where the attempt was made...what went wrong and what happened in the aftermath.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
The problem with this movie is: While it may show the events of that day fairly accurate it leaves out the entire foreplay. Those men who tried to kill Hitler weren't good people just because they tried that. They were Nazis through-and-through they just foresaw Hitler's defeat and wanted to prevent that. Killing Hitler doesn't make you a good person when you live in pretty much the same line of think as he does.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools