Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382172 times)

Najemikon

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #405 on: October 14, 2009, 08:18:48 AM »
Are you kidding? They're both scarier than anything he's watched in the horror run! Zulu, especially... 8)

snowcat

« Reply #406 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:22 AM »
I like Planet of the Apes, but I really don't want to re buy things on Blu ray or HD (unless they are cheap) I bought American Werewolf in London for £2.50 on HD it looked no different... that kind of gave me a bad opinion of older films on HD/Blu ray, Ill have to take a look at a few more.

richierich

« Reply #407 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »
Did The Midnight Meat Train scared you so much that you needed a break? :tease:

More seriously, does your 2 last reviews count as film review for the list?

Midnight Meat Train was sick, but not scary, although strangely entertaining??
Yes they are reviews for listing.

richierich

« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
I like Planet of the Apes, but I really don't want to re buy things on Blu ray or HD (unless they are cheap) I bought American Werewolf in London for £2.50 on HD it looked no different... that kind of gave me a bad opinion of older films on HD/Blu ray, Ill have to take a look at a few more.

No-one ever knows what to buy me for b/day or xmas, so now i ask for my top films if available to be bought on bluray as gifts. Much better than socks or bassetts allsorts  :thumbup:
The POTA isn't such a massive upgrade in quality, but Zulu was staggeringly better than dvd.

Najemikon

« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

No-one ever knows what to buy me for b/day or xmas, so now i ask for my top films if available to be bought on bluray as gifts. Much better than socks or bassetts allsorts  :thumbup:
The POTA isn't such a massive upgrade in quality, but Zulu was staggeringly better than dvd.

Yes, I've found the same. It's very much per release. The Thing looked astonishingly good, while The Fly was merely ok...

snowcat

« Reply #410 on: October 14, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »
I watched Escape from New york on Blu Ray today :/ it looked worse then the DVD!

I think ill wait to re-buy things, Ill wait until they go down really cheap.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
Not all the movie need to be seen with a clearer and better picture quality. Some movies use this fact to play with their budgetary limitation...

Even a dvd conversion can make a good film looks bad.

Najemikon

« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
Beaver is an excellent site for in-depth analysis of exactly what you get. Sadly they don't seem to have done Escape From New York, but see how both their Zulu and Planet of the Apes reviews fairly match Rich.

In fact, bloody Zulu has just gone on my bloody upgrade list. Bloody hell! What do I need bloody money for anyway?  :redcard:  ;)

richierich

« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2009, 10:22:24 PM »
Beaver is an excellent site for in-depth analysis of exactly what you get. Sadly they don't seem to have done Escape From New York, but see how both their Zulu and Planet of the Apes reviews fairly match Rich.

In fact, bloody Zulu has just gone on my bloody upgrade list. Bloody hell! What do I need bloody money for anyway?  :redcard:  ;)

Fantastic site, clearly if they agreed with me it must be of high quality and perfect taste  :tease:

Seriously, Zulu is the most dramatic upgrade I've personally seen on blu-ray so far.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 19, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
Wow, what a difference. Zulu certainly appears to be looking stellar on Blu!

richierich

« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »

Title: The Shawshank Redemption

Runtime:137
Certificate:15
Year:1994
Genres:Drama

Plot:Nominated for seven Acadamy Awards including Best Film and Best Actor, this film is an extraordinary tale of hope, friendship and survival inside a maximum security prison.
City banker, Andy Dufresne, (Tim Robbins) arrived at Shawshank Prison in 1947, convicted of two brutal murders, he received a double life sentence.
He discovers that when they send you to Shawshank State Prison of life... that is exactly what they take.
Within the confines of Shawshank, Andy forms an unlikely friendship with the prison "fixer" Red (Morgan Freeman). He also becomes popular with the Warden and the prison's guards, as Andy is able to use his banking experience to help the currupt officials amass personal fortunes.
With an extraordinary twist in the tale, Andy finds that survival comes down to a simple choice, get busy living or get busy dying.

My Review:
As a break from the horror marathon, I picked a title that always hovers in my top 10 movies, a film that oozes class and whos appeal never wanes.
Very moving and sentimental, a great adaptation, with Robbins and Freeman putting in their best ever performances. As I am sure everyone has seen it, I won't do a full review, but would just say I believe it is nearly faultless and a modern classic.
My Rating
 :thumbup:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
As I am sure everyone has seen it, I won't do a full review, but would just say I believe it is nearly faultless and a modern classic.

I own it but... :bag:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I am currently reading the original Stephen King novella.
And I wouldn't be sure that everyone has seen it. I have recently shown it to six of my collegues and none of them have seen it before.

richierich

« Reply #418 on: October 25, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »
As I am sure everyone has seen it, I won't do a full review, but would just say I believe it is nearly faultless and a modern classic.

I own it but... :bag:

Kathy - please, please watch the film

richierich

« Reply #419 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I am currently reading the original Stephen King novella.
And I wouldn't be sure that everyone has seen it. I have recently shown it to six of my collegues and none of them have seen it before.

Yes you are right, I made a poor assumption, for me it is a 'must have' in every dvd collection. It is a bit like Green Mile or Dances With Wolves, I wrongly believe every one must have seen them  :bag:
So for everyone who doesn't own it;
£3.20 delivered here
or
$4.99 HERE