Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382188 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Goldeneye

Pierce Brosnan ignites the screen in his first adventure as the unstoppable James Bond.  When a powerful satellite system falls into the hands of a former ally-turned-enemy, only 007 can save the world from an awesome space weapon that -- in one short pulse -- could destroy the earth!

Thank heavens for the return of an enjoyable and likeable James Bond! Pierce Brosnan suits the role brilliantly, and with the introduction of Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane and a new Moneypenny the series got back on track.
Memorable intro with the bungee jump down the dam wall, followed by a meeting with 006 (Sean Bean) and finally the skydiving from a motorbike off a cliff to catch the falling plane and escape. The theme song on the otherhand was totally unremarkable and very forgettable.
Action in bucketloads, effects to die for, the most gorgeous women (especially Famke Janssen from X-Men fame), and a lead who oozes charm, wit and daring in equal measures.
Park reality and enjoy a great film.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:18:31 AM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Empire of the Sun

Steven Spielberg's 'Empire Of The Sun', based on the autobiographical novel by J.G. Ballard, stars Christian Bale as Jim Graham, a British schoolboy separated from his upper-class colonial parents when the Japanese sweep into Shanghai during World War II. Temporarily orphaned, Jim attaches himself to Basie (John Malkovich), a fast-talking American opportunist determined make a buck off the spoils of war. Later, when the two are interned in a prison camp, Jim's boyish fantasies are fueled by the grace and daring of the Japanese fighter pilots whom he comes to idolise despite their enemy status. Spielberg's visually spectacular wartime epic is a testimony to the human will to survive and a child's ability to find wonder even in the midst of horror. Thirteen-year-old Welsh actor Christian Bale is brillant as Jim in his feature film debut. Spielberg himself identified more with Jim, a boy who is obsessed with flying and who experiences the death of his innocence, than with E.T.'s Elliott. After a year of negotiations with the Chinese, Spielberg and his crew were allowed to film in Shanghai, which was virtually unchanged since World War II.

A must watch epic, with superb characterisation, an emotional storyline, and a young Christian Bale showing immense early talent.
Glimpse into the world of yesteryear, and uniquely view a war through a childs eyes.
With Stoppards magnificent screenplay Spielberg crafted a masterpiece, and at todays low dvd prices which you can pick this up for there is no excuse not to proudly own it.

I don't know why, but this seems to be taken for granted. Almost as if people weren't taking Spielberg seriously, but I love it. I saw it first when I was much younger and some of the images have stuck with me as much as any other film of this sort.

richierich

« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
I don't know why, but this seems to be taken for granted. Almost as if people weren't taking Spielberg seriously, but I love it. I saw it first when I was much younger and some of the images have stuck with me as much as any other film of this sort.

We agree, definately less known than its quality deserves.
The image that stayed with me was when he was giving the heart massage and the womans eyes moved

richierich

« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »
Shadow of a Doubt

A naive high-schooler named Charlie enjoys a symbiotic relationship with her favorite uncle, also named Charlie (Joseph Cotten). When young Charlie "wills" that Uncle Charlie pay a visit to her family, her wish comes true. Uncle Charlie is his usual charming self, but seems a bit secretive and reserved at times, and Charlie soon suspects the horrible possiblity that her beloved Uncle is the Merry Widow Murderer, who has been preying upon wealthy old women. Alfred Hitchcock's own personal favorite of his 54 films.

This may have been Hitchcock's favourite, but it is not mine.
It is a less engrossing thriller than I anticipated, although I felt on the whole the characterisations were superb. The uncle was suitably creepy, and I just loved Joe and Herb's amateur crime detective act. The first half was a bit tedious, but it did kick-off and get more interesting as the film wore on. The ending was cleverly shot for its time, although the suspense was a disappointment.
I didn't spot Hitch in this one?
 :-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:42:59 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »
I Know What You Did Last Summer

On the magic Summer's night of high school's end, Julie, Helen, Ray and Barry get into Barry's new Beamer, and drive out to celebrate, their lives and hopes before them.
But on the road they have a terrible accident, hit and kill a man. In the shock and panic that follows, they dump the body in the sea rather than reporting the accident. As the body sinks, the hand of the dead man breaks the surface in a last grasp at life, then disappears into the murky depths. The four friends realise that they are now guilty of murder and swear to take their secret to their graves.
But now someone is stalking them, someone who knows who they are, knows what they did last Summer, and seeks revenge...

Cheesy stalk and slash teen horror, attractive cast and amusing and preposterous storyline. The suspense is ok, the acting as expected, but the stars of the show for me were Hewitts perky tits, which the director appeared to focus on with gay abandon and dressed them perfectly for display.
Good for some light relief, but don't take too seriously.
 :D

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:36:36 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
Ravenous

It's a recipe for nonstop action and excitement when the inhabitants of an isolated military outpost go up against a marauding band of cannibals in a deadly struggle for survival!
Guy Pearce (L.A. Confidential, Memento), Robert Carlyle (The World is Not Enough, The Beach) and David Arquette (Scream) must fight brutal elements of the Sierra Nevada wilderness - as well as their own murderous instincts - in this thriilling adventure, filled with "incredibly dark and brilliantly twisted horror." - LOADED.

What a pointless, preposterous movie, I had read such rave reviews but I didn't enjoy it, in fact found it totally boring and ridiculous. It is gory without the horror, in fact my personal thoughts were this was more a tongue in cheek comedy, with plenty of hamming by the lead actors.
If it isn't an attempted comedy, I am at a loss on how to review it? Perhaps a more informed horror viewer can advise it's correct genre??
 :yawn:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:34:26 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
What Dreams May Come

Academy Award® winners ROBIN WILLIAMS and CUBA GOODING, JR. embark on a supernatural journey beyond the realm of mortality in this visually stunning and unforgettable epic.
After Chris Nielsen (Williams) dies in an accident, he tries to remain close to his beautiful, mortal wife, Annie (Annabella Sciorra). With the friendly spirit (Gooding, Jr.) assigned to guide him, he begins to adopt to his new state of being in a setting that can only be described as heavenly. But when his distraught wife takes her own life, she is banished to an eternal damnation. Chris vows to find her so they can share eternity together, but no one has ever succeeded in rescuing a soul from such a horrific fate. With the help of his heavenly friends, Chris sets out on the most perilous and harrowing journey of his life, or afterlife: a quest for everlasting love that will take him to hell and back!

Morbid and downbeat, I found this film a struggle to sit through and lost interest early on.
Visually attractive, the storyline was flimsy, and it is best described as strange and complicated. A mixture of dead and live people inhabit a psychadelic screen, and the question of purgatory is forefront to the movie.
This did not grab my attention one iota.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:24:47 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
The Inbetweeners - Series 1

Will McKenzie (Simon Bird) is on a bad run. His parents have just divorced and, to make matters worse, his mum has moved him from a posh school into the sixth form at the local comprehensive. Despite the twin handicaps of being the new kid and carrying 'an actual briefcase', Will quickly makes new friends - Simon (Joe Thomas), Neil (Blake Harrison) and Jay (James Buckley). Unfortunately, they are far from the coolest kids at school. Together they attempt to navigate the perils of sixth form life while trying to make girls, like the gorgeous Carli D'Amato (Emily Head), 'notice them for who they really are'.
Which is a bad move, because they are idiots.
Over the course of their term alone, the boy's roll call of dishonour includes; accidentally hitting a disabled girl in the face with a Frisbee, drunkenly puking on a seven year old child, gate crashing a funeral cortege in Simon's tiny, bright yellow car, and calling Neil's dad a 'bumder'.

I seldom review a TV series but I shall make an exception.
This was an hilarious and quite original Channel 4 series which received little attention when shown, but has since developed a cult status. It follows an old theme of young lads trying to score, but it is written so well, with recognisable characters from ones own school days, with the amusing adolescent banter found in every schoolyard or college campus, that you just have to love it.
It is real-life, near the knuckle, cringe-worthingly and a complete MUST BUY.
Please bang out a tenner and purchase this series.

richierich

« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2009, 12:47:37 AM »
Gran Torino

Korean War vet and retired autoworker Walt Kowalski doesn't like much how his life or his neighborhood has turned out. He especially doesn't like the people next door, Hmong immigrants from Southeast Asia. But events force Walt to defend those neighbors against a local gang that feeds on violence and fear.
Clint Eastwood works on both sides of the camera, winning the National Board of Review Award as Best Actor for his bone-deep playing of Kowalski, burnished into a "prime vintage Eastwood performance" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone).

This film treads familiar territory in what is said to be Eastwoods swansong as an actor, and his presence on-screen is dominant, with some terrific and joyous scripting keeping an amusing undertone to the whole movie. There are hints of Dirty Harry in Walt, and the banter between him and his neighbours is superb.
This is not his best film, but nonetheless is still highly watchable and refreshing. It will not find favour with anyone too PC, as racial insults abound but are key to the underlying message of the film. The support cast work well in tandem, and although the film was quite long I never found myself clock watching.
If this is to be Clints last appearance in front of camera, he leaves on a high.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »
Léon

Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman and Danny Aiello star in LÉON, a go-for-broke thriller about a professional assassin whose work becomes dangerously personal.
Calling himself a "cleaner," the mysterious Léon is New York's top hitman. When his next-door neighbors are murdered, Léon becomes the unwilling guardian of the family's sole survivor — 12-year-old Mathilda. But Mathilda doesn't just want protection; she wants revenge. Training her in the deadly tricks of his trade, LÉON helps her track the psychotic agent who murdered her family. From the electrifying opening to the fatal finale, LÉON, is a nonstop crescendo of action, suspense and surprises. This version contains 24 minutes of extra footage never before released in America.

Great storyline with intriguing characters, Oldman, Reno and a young Portman all give top notch performances.
The mix between touching human relationship and action of a ruthless hitman is superbly directed and sympathetically portrayed, a masterclass by Besson in developing characterisations within a movie.
Touching, violent, moving and beautifully shot, this is an unforgettable voyage and experience, and a must for every dvd collection.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:50:54 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »
Brokeback Mountain

From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ang Lee comes an epic American love story, Brokeback Mountain . Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, the film tells the story of two young men -- a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy -- who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys, and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.

For such an awarded film with so much hype, we were shocked to find it so boring and hollow. Is the fact that it is an emotional love story about 2 bisexual cowboys enough to warrant such undeserved acclaim? The storyline lacked any substance, the leads consisted of a mumbling and hard to understand Heath Ledger, and a marginally better Jake Gyllenhaal.
Agonisingly slow paced, and a complete yawn of a film.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:46:19 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2009, 01:53:38 AM »
Forever Strong

Best friends and teammates Rick (Sean Faris, Never Back Down) and Lars (Penn Badgley, Gossip Girl) become bitter rivals when Rick's free-spirited lifestyle lands him in juvenile detention. There a concerned counselor (Sean Astin, Lord of the Rings, Rudy) and a national championship rugby coach (Gary Cole, Office Space) recruit Rick for a new team - and a new direction.
Based on actual events surrounding the perennial powerhouse Highland Rugby program (379 wins - 9 losses, and 18 of the last 24 national championships), Forever Strong is a film that combines heart-stopping, on-the-field action with a life-changing story of victory.

Americanised rarity of a film revolving around the greatest sport in the world - rugby.
It is a fair effort, based on actual events, with a particularly good lead by an unknown to me - Sean Faris. The storyline remained interesting throughout, of clearly quite an amazing coach in real life improving young lads lives. The sporting simulations for anyone involved in the sport were a bit off the mark, but not irritatingly so.
Altogether an 'ok' sports based film.

richierich

« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »
Matchstick Men

If there's a sucker born every minute, these guys will work the delivery room. Meet Roy and Frank, con men who plan to flimflam a flimflammer out of big-time dough. They have a new partner to help them too: Roy's long-absent 14-year-old daughter, who has entered his life and is eager to learn the art of the con.
Just when you think you have it figured out you don't, during this acclaimed comedy thriller directed by Ridley Scott. Nicolas Cage is winningly quirky as Roy, genius at crime and basket case in life because he's an agoraphobe, a germaphobe and suddenly a parent. Sam Rockwell is wily Frank. And Alison Lohman plays the wild child at Roy's door. For fun, suspense and brain-busting twists, nothing's hotter than Matchstick Men.

Interesting film, intriguing plot, with a nice set of twists at the end that I didn't guess until close to the finish. Cage plays his neurotic character well, in an engaging and humourous story that Scott weaves well. The relationships and characterisations between the leads are particularly effective, and the performances and film stay with you.
Underrated movie that deserves watching.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:32:49 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
Entrapment

Sparks fly as Zeta-Jones, an insurance agent, charms her way into doing business with Connery, an aging thief. In preparation for their latest heist, Connery has her suffer through a rigorous training camp. Promises begin to blur and dwindle as romance introduces itself into the picture, building up to a payoff that's sure to disappoint one of the involved parties.

Every once in a while you approach a film with little enthusiasm and low expectations, and it turns out to be a peach. This was just one of those occasions.
Despite not being a great fan of the 2 leads, and in truth with alternative actors may have been slightly better and with a more believable romantic undertone (although of course CZJ does like them old and wrinkly), the storyline, special effects, and fast paced action with a multitude of red herrings, twists and turns made this compelling viewing.
A good popcorn glitzy crime caper, with a generous amount of the film centred around CZJ well proportioned butt, if you can pick this up from a bargain bucket I would recommend it.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
Seabiscuit

Laura Hillenbrand's best-selling nonfiction novel comes to life with this spectacular big-screen adaptation. Set in the 1930s, SEABISCUIT weaves its story around three men who turned a seemingly untamable horse into a bona fide champion. Jeff Bridges is Charles Howard, a thriving entrepreneur who gives horse racing a shot when his wife leaves him after the death of their son. Chris Cooper is Tom Smith, a mumbling, sensitive horse trainer who sees the untapped potential of Seabiscuit hiding under his flawed outer shell. Tobey Maguire is Red Pollard, a stubborn, oversized jockey who is determined to prove to the world that he has what it takes to be a champion. Together, these men use their individual gifts to mold Seabiscuit into a national icon, culminating in a showdown with Triple Crown winner War Admiral. But when Red breaks his leg riding another horse, Howard must call in George Woolf (played by real life jockey Gary Stevens) to keep the dream alive.

Enjoyable 'based on fact' story, much in the mould of a slightly gritty Disney film, with the expected clichés of small guy (or horse) turning good and wins in the end, triumph over adversity plotting.
William H Macy is a show stealer as the track/radio announcer, truly superb and one of his best roles. The pre-war setting is believable and efficient, the direction is crisp, the acting top-drawer and the storyline interesting albeit a little bit long. On the negative i did find some characters were under-developed and a few sub-stories seemed to fizzle out and disappear, but this does not detract too much from the overall enjoyment.
This is a good film, not too over-sentimental and puke inducing, and I must admit I punched the air at one point  :-[
Feel good movie.
  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:06:35 PM by Rich »