Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382173 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »
Moonraker

Agent 007 blasts into orbit in this action-packed adventure that takes him to Venice, Rio de Janeiro and outer space. When Bond investigates the hijacking of an American space shuttle, he and beautiful CIA agent Holly Goodhead are soon locked in a life-or-death struggle against Hugo Drax, a power-mad industrialist whose horrific scheme may destroy all human life on earth!

Clumsy special effects, disappointing storyline, and Moore possibly his worst as Bond. Drax (Lonsdale) was not a good villain in my opinion, but the return of Jaws (and speaking!) was a highlight.
The settings were pretty spectacular all round, Venice and Brazil standing out, but must of eaten in to the huge budget considerably. There are action spectaculars within the film, the girls of course are beautiful (how do they get away with calling one Holly Goodhead??) especially gorgeous was Corinne Clery, and the opening halo descent was amazing.
But it is all a bit too tongue in cheek - Star Wars in mind - tick the boxes - for my liking, so I would only go as far as saying this 007 was just above average.
 :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:07:22 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »
39 Steps

The best known of Hitchcock's British films, this civilized spy yarn follows the escapades of Richard Hannay (Robert Donat), who stumbles into a conspiracy that involves him in a hectic chase across the Scottish moors—a chase in which he is both the pursuer and the pursued. Adapted from John Buchan's novel, this classic Hitchcock "wrong man" thriller encapsulates themes that anticipate the director's biggest American films (especially North by Northwest), and is a standout among his early works.

Fairly uncomplex Hitchcock thriller in comparison to later efforts, this has all the ingredients of action, dark comedy and suspense to make it work. It is clearly filmed too much within a studio, and you would be disappointed having read the book to see how far this strays from the original storyline, but the interesting camera angles, lighting, lead acting and direction keep this films head above water.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:02:35 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
Nacho Libre

Jack Black is more hilarious than ever as Ignacio, a monastery cook who feeds orphan childeren by day and by night transforms himself into Nacho Libre, a notorious Luchador in strechy pants. Spurred on by Esqueleto "The Skeleton" a street peasant turned sidekick, Nacho challenges Mexico's most fearsome wrestlers as he fights to save the childeren and win the affections of sister Encarnación, his inspiration and forbidden love. From the creators of Napoleon Dynamite and the writers of School of Rock, Nacho Libre packs "big laughs from start to finish".

Dreadful film. I had hoped for a School of Rock style performance and script given it starred Jack Black and had the same writers, alas it never got anywhere near it. The writing is devoid of any comedy, I can honestly say I never laughed once, not even a titter. They end up resorting to fart noises to try and raise a smile, but that can't help such a disaster. This is a major flop, please avoid.
 :yucky:

richierich

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
Station Agent

When his friend and co-worker suddenly dies, train enthusiast Finbar McBride (Peter Dinklage) inherits an abandoned railway station in rural New Jersey. A dwarf who avoids social contact whenever possible, Fin treks out to the property and moves in. However, his newly isolated life is disrupted by the arrival of the well meaning Joe and Olivia. Joe (Bobby Cannavale), is an outgoing operator of a roadside refreshment stand, and Olivia (Patricia Clarkson), is a reclusive artist who is grieving the loss of her son. As Joe and Olivia slowly bring Fin out of his shell, all three people are affected by their newfound friendships.

Charming film exploring the characters and relationships of 3 differing personalities. The film is a blend of humour, quirkiness, disappointment, sadness and in the end heart warming interaction. It is intentionally slow paced, a beautifully written simple story, directed with craftmanship, the actors excel, and the film washes over you like warm honey.
Don't expect action or suspense, but if you want to delve into a portrait of humanity and characterisation, then give this a try.
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:25:54 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
True Lies

Super-secret-agent Harry Tasker (Arnold Schwarzenegger) has a wife (Jamie Lee Curtis) who thinks he's just a boring salesman--so she has an affair with a salesman who claims he's a secret agent. This confusion mushrooms into a global crisis as Tasker and his wife are caught in the middle of a deadly plot by fanatical terrorists. Absolutely spectacular special effects feature Arnold flying a Harrier jet.

Suffering with man cold and wanting to pop in an old favourite, I stumbled across True Lies again and thoroughly enjoyed the repeat viewing.
James Cameron hits all the right buttons with this tongue-in-cheek espionage thriller, Arnie and JLC have an amusing chemistry between them, and Tom Arnold is the perfect foil. It seems the actors must have enjoyed making this film, the stunts and effects are out of the top drawer, and the blend of characters, action and laughs is perfect.
The movie never takes itself too seriously, spoofs the spy genre, and is a perfect family popcorn movie that doesn't lose it's flavour.
 :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
Perfect Score

High school senior Kyle (Chris Evans) gets a major shock when he discovers his SAT score isn't good enough to get him into college as an architecture major. A perfectionist, Kyle's resilient nature is sparked when he embroils his best friend Matty (Bryan Greenberg) in a madcap scheme to steal the SATs. The boys soon realize the enormity of the task ahead of them, and recruit an eclectic bunch of willing accomplices to help. Among their group are Francesca (Scarlett Johansson), an anti-authoritarian hipster whose father happens to work in the building where the elusive test scores are kept; Anna (Erica Christensen), an overachiever who flunked the test due to nerves; Desmond (Darius Miles), the school's star basketball player who wants to get into a good college; and Ray (Leonardo Nam), a hapless stoner who is only included in the group after overhearing Kyle and Matty planning the robbery in the school bathroom. Determined not to fail, the students overcome their different backgrounds and manage to work together by planning an SAT heist in meticulous detail. As the harebrained scheme becomes a reality, moments of bonding, hilarity, and a few lessons in life ensue, as well as a sly critique of the tests along race and gender lines.

Tedious, pointless excuse of a film. It makes you wonder if those involved when making it knew it would be such a lemon?
Poor acting, crap storyline, embarrasing humour attempt, the only saving grace in the whole film was an impressive Matrix scene copy.
Stick to the likes of Breakfast Club in this genre.
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:35:19 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:48 PM »
Stephen King's Riding The Bullet

Alan embarks on a 100-mile hitchhike to see his mother in the hospital. Along the way he must confront his many demons - both living and dead -and in the end make the ultimate choice that will mean life or death for him and his mother!

Good book - awful film - how familiar does that sound??
Criminally bad adaptation, I'm surprised King would allow his name to be used on this dire attempt. Totally unengaging, pointlessly long, soulless and dull. The whole point of the film - choices - seemed to get lost in the telling
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:47:23 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »
Shaolin Soccer

With tons of action, eye-popping special effects and nonstop laughs, here's a hilarious martial arts comedy about a team of misfits who take their best shot at winning a championship! Sing is a skilled Shaolin kung fu devotee whose amazing "leg of steel" catches the eye of a soccer coach! Together they assemble a squad of Sing's former Shaolin brothers inspired by the big-money prize in a national soccer competition! Using an unlikely mix of martial arts and newfound soccer skills, it seems an unbeatable combination...until they must face the dreaded Team Evil in the ultimate battle for the title!

Possibly tongue in cheek, some fantastic effects and stunts although oddly timed, this film is so bad I wondered if it was intentionally so? The dubbing was hilarious, clearly English speakers putting on Chinese accents, and the film seemed to miss huge chunks of storyline.
It is an awful mess - but at times hilariously so, and I must admit rolling up several times at it's ineptness.
If you like watching a train wreck on celluloid, get this if it's free!
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
Gingerbread Man

Step into the courtly world of Savannah's top-tier law firms. Meet one of the brightest young stars of the bar, Rick Magruder. And witness how his obsession with a beautiful, mysterious client, stalked by her deranged father, plunges him into a world of terrifying intrigue and deadly deceit. As a hurricane bears down on the city, Magruder fins himself locked in a battle without a judge or a jury - only an executioner.

Robert Altman puts a John Grisham tale to film, and it was a fair effort. I was concerned to see Kenneth Brannagh in the lead, as he wasn't the first actor that jumped into my mind to play a womanising lawyer from the South, but he wasn't out of place. Duvall was wasted in his role as the weird father, with very little involvement in the film.
The atmosphere was good, but I did find the film a bit disjointed, and the ending much too predictable to be creditable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:28:57 AM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2009, 07:33:14 AM »
Possibly tongue in cheek, some fantastic effects and stunts although oddly timed, this film is so bad I wondered if it was intentionally so? The dubbing was hilarious, clearly English speakers putting on Chinese accents, and the film seemed to miss huge chunks of storyline.
´
I understand the intgernational version had been recut, unknown to me is to what extent. However, the original Hong Kong version (which is what I own) might therefore make more sense to you.

richierich

« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
For Your Eyes Only

Moore makes his fifth appearance as 007 in this, the twelfth Bond film. In this outing, the renowned British double agent must locate a weapons system known as ATAC, which controls Great Britain's submarines, after it is sunk on a ship in the Ionian Sea. While he must contend with a formidable foe in the villain known as Kristatos (Glover), he does have the lovely and talented Melina (Bouquet), the daughter of a scientist killed by Kristatos, on his side. For fans craving their old favorites, Blofeld, Moneypenny and Q all put in appearances. The stunts come fast and furious, most notably a breathtaking race down a ski slope at the film's opening. Academy Award Nominations: Best Original Song ("For Your Eyes Only").

Fun Bond film, with an amusing intro of remote controlled helicopter and Blofeld, swiftly followed by an amusing car chase with 007 in a Citreon 2CV. The stunts and action come thick and fast, the punny jokes cannot fail to raise a smile, the storyline an aside but willingly so.
One of my preferred theme tunes, and great to see all the old favourites such as Moneypenny, M and Q (gadgets galore), of course several beautiful women and suitable baddies (Particularly the subdued Glover and loyalty challenged Topol). As with most Bond films, the photography, scenery and backgrounds spare no expense, and still remain a hallmark of the complete series.
I particularly liked the 3d identifier, with dot matrix printer, oh we have come so far!
Not the most memorable - but still enjoyable viewing.
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:09:02 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
´
I understand the intgernational version had been recut, unknown to me is to what extent. However, the original Hong Kong version (which is what I own) might therefore make more sense to you.

Have you watched the film? Is it meant to be intentionally bad??

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »
Have you watched the film? Is it meant to be intentionally bad??
Well, it's aware that it's an  over the top comedy and not to be taken seriously. If you go in expecting the Citizen Kane of comedies then it will fail.

richierich

« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Spotswood

Wallace is an efficiency expert, managing the high profile downsizing of a major auto parts factory. But when he is hired to evaluate a small moccasin factory which seems from another era, Wallace has to reconsider the rapid modernisation he advocates, as he is confronted by the human faces such plans hurt. Summer City Drama set in the 1950's, in which four young men take off for a weekend of sun, sand, surf and anything else that takes their fancy. An Australian production.

Gentle and charming Aussie comedy with Hopkins as always stealing the show looking a pro amongst amateurs, and a young Crowe trying his best not to act, the storyline was interesting albeit a bit dated, and very much humour in the vein of Muriels Wedding. Best described as the equivalent of an above average TV film, this is worth looking out for in the bargain bins.

richierich

« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54:15 PM »
Beneath the Planet of the Apes

In the acclaimed sequel to 'Planet of the Apes', another astronaut (James Franciscus) crashes through the time barrier searching for Taylor (Charlton Heston).  The daring rescue mission leads to a subterranean city where mutant humans, who practice mind control, worship a weapon capable of destroying the entire planet.  Both an action-oriented sci-fi adventure and a wry commentary on today's world, this second 'Apes' installment is imaginative entertainment for fantasy buffs of all ages.

I found the rewatching of this sequel on a large plasma screen disappointing, the effects were incredibly dated, and the make-up and costumes wanting. I remember the 1st time I viewed this as exciting and dramatic, but alas could not unearth those feelings again. Even the thundering hooves as the apes on horses chased the heroes did not feel as poignant as they did some years ago.
The storyline distinctly lacks the punchiness and though-provoking issues of the original, and ends in a very pathetic hammy Grand Central Station mock-up with telepathic aliens and a nuclear missile.
 :-\