Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382149 times)

Najemikon

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »
farting blue-faced dwarf

On paper, it sounds like genius!  :hysterical: Dreadful film. And the comic was pretty good too...

One of my film gurus has advised me to try and purchase/watch the animated version of Spawn, which he claims is much better

I've never seen it, but I know Todd McFarlane was heavily involved and fully endorsed it, so it has a much better chance.

And you have film gurus? My goodness, are they employed full-time and live on the grounds? :P

richierich

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
The Man With The Golden Gun

James Bond (Roger Moore) may have met his match in Francisco Scaramanga (Christopher Lee), a world-renowned assassin whose weapon of choice is a distinctive gold pistol.  When Scaramanga seizes the priceless Solex Agitator energy converter, Agent 007 must recover the device and confront the trained killer in a heart-stopping duel to the death!

Really enjoyed watching this one again, it had been some time since my last viewing.
For me this is possibly Moores 2nd best film, I thought Lee as Scaramanga, with sidekick Nick-Nack, were excellent villains, and who could not enjoy seeing Britt Ekland wandering round in a bikini or babydoll nightie? (despite her bad acting skills)
The story is not as per Flemings last book, but I think works well and is still relevant today. Moore is particularly suave and witty, which suited the films at this time. Some of the stunts were awesome, the spiralling jump over the collapsed bridge only spoilt by a bloody penny-whistle noise (listen to the commentary track to see how much they regretted that). The gadgets are balanced well in quantity and not too ridiculous, the jokes are delivered well, the Far-Eastern locations ideal, and the acting solid in most areas.
On the negatives, the soundtrack was poor, a couple of the fight scenes were limp, and the pointless return of Clifton James as the racist 'Southern' sheriff.
A 007 classic and definately one of Moore's better films. Full of humour and an engaging storyline, I rate it higher than others.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:02:08 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20-million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Intrigued by Jamal's story, the jaded police inspector begins to wonder what a young man with no apparent desire for riches is really doing on this game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the inspector and 60 million viewers are about to find out.

Overhyped film, as typical of any Oscar lauded title, but if you reduce your expectations going into viewing this movie, it is genuinely good with an interesting and original storyline.
The first hour can be slow at times, and your finger hovers over the FFW button, but in time the story embraces you, and towards the end you become totally immersed. It is very original, I struggle to find another film to provide an analogy, although I found the portrayal of India and particularly Mumbai stereo-typed. Emotionally it pulls you in many ways, laughter, tears, pain, sorrow, anger and of course feel-good at the end. Technically it is brilliant with amazing cinematography and direction, acting across the board is top-rate, and the soundtrack is one for the ipod.
This is a must see, only you can decide if it is a must-have in your collection.
 ;D

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:37:19 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
Seven Pounds

From Gabriele Muccino, the Director of The Pursuit Of Happyness comes Seven Pounds. Will Smith stars as Ben, an IRS agent who is depressed and guilt-ridden about mistakes from his past. He sets out to make amends by helping seven strangers. When he meets Emily (Rosario Dawson), a beautiful woman with a heart condition, he falls in love with her, thereby complicating his plans. Woody Harrelson also appears as a blind pianist who befriends Ben.

Another over-hyped film, I kept waiting for the elements that apparently force you to tears - I never found them.
It is certainly sensitive and sombre, thought-provoking, and in Will Smith he demonstrates his maturing years are improving his acting abilities. It is a bit too broken up and disjointed for my taste, and at times difficult to follow with very little clues, so patience is vital to get full enjoyment.
A good film for dvd, I would have been disappointed if I'd seen this at the cinema, and i personally preferred Pursuit of Happyness.
 :D

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:56:51 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
Marley & Me

From the director of The Devil Wears Prada comes a hilarious and heartwarming comedy based on the #1 New York Times best seller Marley & Me.
Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson unleash huge laughs as John and Jenny Grogan, a young couple contemplating the decision to start a family. Then came Marley... an adorable Labrador pup who flunks obedience school and quickly turns his new home into a disaster area. But with a heart as big as his appetite for trouble, Marley sees the Grogans through the ups and downs of life and love, and they ultimately realize that "the world's worst dog" truly brings out the best in them.

Cute loveable dog, and a labrador too.  :devil:
Seriously though, this has all the ingredients of a feel-good film, funny cute dog, gorgeous warm wife (Aniston), endearing jokey husband (Wilson), superbly behaved kids, and a tender storyline that forces even the biggest cynic to smile.
Ok, its banal, hollow, dramaless, over-sentimental etc etc as per the critics slamming, you could write an essay on all the holes you can spot and all the negatives around the movie.
But take this at face value, its easy family orientated viewing, its funny in parts, the cast is good, and the storyline adequate and of a sensible length, in other words it hits it's target audience perfectly.
The book is apparently a thousand times better, but for a simple pleasant viewing with family this one will hit the mark

richierich

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
Spy Who Loved Me

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the 10th film in the James Bond series, ventures not only into the depths of the ocean but into the deep topic of betrayal and morality as well, placing it among the boldest of the 007 films. James Bond (Roger Moore) is coupled with Russian agent Anya 'Triple-X' Amasova (Barbara Bach) to recover stolen Soviet submarines from evil oceanographer Carl Stromberg (Curt Jurgens) and his gigantic lackey, Jaws (Richard Kiel). When Triple-X learns that Bond killed her boyfriend on a mission in the Alps, she must overcome her selfish notions of revenge and work with 007 for the good of the world. In addition to the Bond staple of girls and gadgetry, the film features beautifully shot footage of the Austrian Alps, Venice, and the Egyptian pyramids. Furthermore, director Lewis Gilbert uses the film to push the cinematic envelope with stunning underwater action sequences, that leave the viewer gasping for air and a vodka martini--shaken, not stirred.

One of my favourite Bond films, it has all the elements that I really enjoyed in 007 when I was younger, and even watching it again over 30 years after it was made it has not diminished in my view. Beautiful women (especially Bach), superb villains, great action scenes, tongue in cheek humour, exotic locations, and a 7 foot steel toothed hitman.
The opening sequence before the titles is possibly as good as any movie I have ever seen, couple of corny jokes, Bond in bed, dramatic ski chase, followed by Bond skiing off a cliff, only to open a Union Jack parachute to safely drift down the mountainside - classic stuff.
Slick production, an amazing underwater base for Jurgens megalomaniac ambitions, this would be Moores best effort as Bond. Nobody Does it Better, and in this case I agree.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:43:27 PM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Overhyped film, as typical of any Oscar lauded title...

Oof! The cynicism! In the end, I don't think it was hyped enough. I was riveted from the start, in fact, when I get the must-have DVD, it may well be good enough to rip the ffw button off my control so it can't be used... ;D

richierich

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Overhyped film, as typical of any Oscar lauded title...

Oof! The cynicism! In the end, I don't think it was hyped enough. I was riveted from the start, in fact, when I get the must-have DVD, it may well be good enough to rip the ffw button off my control so it can't be used... ;D

It's a good film Jon, as per my mark which as you know is very high for me.
But come on, it took a stack of oscars and baftas on the roll, cos people think its cool and fashionable to admire this movie. If you read the book you'll see how far it has strayed to ensure it is commercially popular - do I blame them for this? - damn no - it's now a blockbuster.

It's portrayal of India was derogatory, from someone who has been to Mumbai I can assure you there are not gangs of kids waiting to fleece you, hordes of intentionally crippled kids begging, or brutal police houses from the 70's. Sure there is a lot of poverty, and there are beggars - but come to London and I'll show you similar. It's a 3rd world country with more millionaires than any other country, hence the problem (in my uneducated opinion) of an extreme have and have-not society. (shit  :redcard: i talked politics - please delete my points and call me Rifter!)

Najemikon

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
Well, Rifter,  :P part of me knows you're right, but at the same time, I don't begrudge it any awards and would have handed them out myself to Slumdog. Had it not won, I would have listed it as one of the great Oscar failures. Boyle directed the shit out of that film. It's more vibrant and confident than most released last year and it's about time we had some positive wish fulfilment, because that's what old Hollywood did well. Films like Slumdog should be hyped and should be lauded because they are rare and represent mainstream cinema at it's most dynamic and original.

I can't comment much on the book or the real place, having experienced neither. I did read a rundown of changes from the original and it seems to me to be an improvement, but that isn't fair of me. However, I will say that I did not come away with the apparent misconceptions it gets accused of. I never thought that Mumbai was one big slum with gangs of kids and still don't. I knew it was an affluent area, but it's also very big. Delve deep into the middle of that slum and I reckon you'll find far worse than Boyle depicted. It seems common sense to me that sections will be impossible to govern and local gangs will rule it.

One point hit home sharply because I happened to see it the day after Comic Relief who featured a similar one in Africa; the rubbish tip where the kids sort through for stuff to sell. There ain't nothing like that in London nor the rest of the UK! Regards the police, I agree with you there. The film would still have worked if that was toned right down.

What I did pick up on was that the people in the slum were varied, intelligent and for the most part, getting on with life and grasping opportunities. I think that's important, because while such areas need support, they shouldn't be stereotyped. I know that's what you said it did, but I felt the opposite. I also came away with a strong sense of what you called the "have and have-not". Surely it's a successful film if someone such as I got that without knowing anything about Mumbai before?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
I saw Slumdog Millionaire at the cinema today (yes, some stuff comes here really late).

I clearly have to agree with Jon. It's a well directed film. In some scenes the music and the images complimented each other beautifully. The editing was great and especially the "final question" scene was very gripping; unfortunately it's a bit anti-climactic if you know the answer to the rather trivial question... There was a bit when I felt the threads were dropped, but only to be picked up again fairly soon (the bit between Jamal loosing contact until the part where he explains how he got on the show, although I didn't really get that bit).

I actually had Rich's comment in mind when watching the film, pointing out that the reality isn't as bad as portrayed. But, I found the things shown more believable if set in a country like India rather than the UK and personally didn't have the feeling they tried to say it's like that everywhere... I imagine these things might exist (there is stuff going on in this world we can barely begin to imagine) and this film is about the love story of two of these poor kids.

A clear from me.

The scene that happens during the end credits is really fun! :yu:

richierich

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »

A clear from me.

And me  ;D

The scene that happens during the end credits is really fun! :yu:

The dancing?? - if so I agree very good and catchy tune  :egyptian:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:08:58 PM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2009, 06:22:34 AM »
The dancing?? - if so I agree very good and catchy tune  :egyptian:
Um, yeah, In a weird and twisted way I considered it a spoiler so didn't want to mention it clearly; nice tribute to Indian cinema.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
Your discussion almost get me in the mood for watching International Guerilla this weekend. This isn't an Indian movie (it's a Pakistanese one), but it sure feel like : a lot of weird unecessary dance number and the cast start a song every now and than for no reason, but those songs are sure catchy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:35:15 AM by Jimmy »

richierich

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:11 AM »
All I Want

Seventeen year-old Jones (Elijah Wood) has decided to avoid college in favour of renting an apartment, and attempting to learn from life while trying to become a writer. As he tries to gain his mother's (Elizabeth Perkins) approval and figure out his father's whereabouts, he becomes involved with both Lisa (Mandy Moore), a struggling actress, and Jane (Franka Potente), an older photographer. When Jane is involved in a car accident, and an ex-boyfriend comes to take care of her, Jones realises how strong his feelings are for her. He then enlists his strange neighbour, Brad (Aaron Pearl), to help win Jane's love. Look out for a cameo by Deborah Harry as Ma Mabley, an over-sexed seller of beds.

Well written and enjoyable tale, an easy watch that keeps you smiling most of the way through.
Nothing outstanding, acting is fine, the quirky storyline gently pulls you through, with the bonus of Debbie Harry as a busty and horny shopkeeper.

richierich

« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2009, 12:18:08 AM »
Lawnmower Man

Jobe, the church gardener known as the Lawnmower Man, is an adult with a six-year-old's mind. At Cybertech, a nearby research centre, Dr Angelo uses his technological breakthrough, an advanced virtual reality computer system, to accelerate the intelligence of laboratory chimps. Ater a chance meeting with Jobe, Dr Angelo begins experiments to advance Jobe's intelligence... with amazing and disturbing results. Based on a short story by Stephen King.

Amazing effects for an early 90's film, Fahey is excellent as the dim-witted Jobe, and Brosnan works his role well as the scientist. The virtual reality opportunities are well exploited, right through to the cybersex scene. If only they could recut the original intelligent chimp on the rampage scene, I would mark it higher.
Daft sci-fi meets frankenstein storyline, albeit watchable, the pace is good but unfortunately predictable. A good afternoons viewing with little brainpower or emotion needed.
 :)