Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 382148 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #465 on: January 06, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

Title: All About Steve

Runtime:99
Certificate:
Year:2009
Genres:Comedy, Romance

Plot:Sandra Bullock (The Proposal) and Bradley Cooper (The Hangover) star in this off-the-wall comedy about a blind date gone hilariously wrong. When eccentric, but lovable, Mary gets set up with Steve, a news channel cameraman, she falls hard. He does not. Mary decides to follow Steve on a cross-country hunt for breaking news and soon finds herself entangled in the story. But despite the media storm surrounding her, Mary may just discover her true place in the world...and the man of her dreams!

My Review:
Limp rom-com, perhaps Bullocks worst film and role in many years, it is a ridiculous storyline and all the actors appear embarrassed to be seen in this Hollywood cash-in.
The whole movie is pointless, SB playing a stalking crossword nerd is a total waste, and Bradley Cooper does his best with limited quality script. There are very few funny moments, and miniscule romantic involvement to accomodate the genre.
Skip this and spend an hour and a half watching something better!
My Rating
 :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #466 on: January 06, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »

Title: Paranormal Activity

Runtime:86
Certificate:R
Genres:Horror

Plot:YOU DEMANDED IT and now the surprise hit critics call "one of the scariest movies of all time"* can be experienced in the most terrifying place of all...your home.
After a young, middle-class couple moves into what seems like a typical suburban house, they become increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be demonic but is certainly most active in the middle of the night. Especially while they sleep.
Paranormal Activity
builds suspense
night after night all the way to the shocking ending. Roger Ebert calls it "truly scary."** Go ahead, WE DARE YOU TO WATCH IT AT HOME...at least you can leave the lights on.
My Review:
Yes, it is scary! Done in the style of a real-life amateur documentary, the slow build-up and understated initial activities create tension, fear and trepidation until the final climax.
Some parts are chilling, and will remain memorable. Where the girl stands rocking by the bed for hours - still makes the hair on back of my neck stand-up, perhaps its that primal fear of what happens when we sleep? You need your imagination to fully enjoy and get unsettled by this, if you liked Blair Witch then this will really cook your goose.
How much of this is based on the true story and video recovered by the police? I like to stay a bit naive and believe a lot so this film remains with me as very impactive and haunting.
My Rating
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #467 on: January 09, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »

Title: The Wild

Runtime:78
Certificate:U
Year:2006
Genres:Animation, Adventure

Plot:Get ready for an amazing family adventure you'll never forget. Disney uncages the laughs in the hip and hilarious comedy The Wild.
When a funny band of furry friends escape from the city zoo, they discover that New York city is the biggest, craziest jungle of all. Bursting with bonus features, including a hysterical bloopers and blunders reel, deleted scenes and more, The Wild is ferocious fun for audiences of all ages.
My Review:
Mildly amusing animated feature, very clever in its use of cutesy animal characters, but done before and since by the likes of ice age, madagascar and lion king, and bettered several times.
It lacks the pacy script, the 'adult' and kids jokes, but does score highly on the grahics side.
More suited for the younger child I think.
My Rating
 :D

richierich

« Reply #468 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

Title: Carriers

Runtime:84
Certificate:PG-13
Genres:Drama, Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Chris Pine (Star Trek) stars in this intense, gripping thriller about a deadly threat beyond anyone's worst nightmare. Determined to escape a lethal virus, four teens set out in search of an uncontaminated refuge, only to discover that they are far more dangerous to each other than the virus they are trying to survive. Carriers  is a pulse-pounding journey into a world where laws and rules no longer apply, and no one can be trusted - not even your friends.
My Review:
Lost opportunity for what started as an interesting apocalyptic movie, but fell away in to a low budgetted and weakly acted twenty-something human interest story.
It all becomes a bit over familiar, and the pointlessly intensive concentration of characterisation over the horror aspect of such a scenario that the group find themselves in is plainly ridiculous and becomes tedious.
Unimaginative, and near the bottom of the pile with regards to virus/end of world genre of movie.
My Rating
 :-\

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:52:17 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #469 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:39 AM »

Title: Gridlock'd

Runtime:91
Year:1997
Genres:Drama, Comedy

Plot:When their friend Cookie o.d.'s, best buddies and musicians Spoon (Tupac Shakur) and Stretch (Tim Roth) decide it's time to kick their drug habit by putting themselves into detox. But they soon discover that the road to rehab is paved with reams of social service red tape. Spoon and Stretch are just trying to stay alive until they can get treatment. But, between the angry drug dealers, the cops who have mistaken them for murderers, and the people with forms and clipboards, this turns into a task of epic proportions. Thus enfolds their comic adventure to sobriety.

My Review:
At times fairly amusing, but with a cast I was unlikely ever to warm to, this drug/rehab tale is pretty run of the mill and wholly unremarkable. To be fair both leads seemed to gel quite well together, but the subject matter and supposed reasoning for rehabbing was unremarkable.
Paints an horrendous picture of US healthcare, which apparently is quite accurate in that if you do not have health insurance you are basically screwed.
Mildly entertaining, if you happen to be a Roth or Tupac fan you'd proably give this a higher mark.
My Rating
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2010, 12:19:29 AM »

Title: Demon Seed

Runtime:94
Year:1977
Genres:Horror, Science-Fiction

Plot:Susan Harris is alone in the house when, suddenly, doors lock, windows slam shut and the phone stops working. Susan is trapped by an intruder...but this is no ordinary thug. Instead, the intruder is a computer named Proteus, an artificial brain that has learned to reason. And to terrorize.
In "one of her finest, most vulnerable perfromances" (Danny Peary, Guide for the Film Fanatic), Julie Christie plays Susan in this taut techno-thriller based on the Dean Koontz novel. Packed with suspense, surprise and special effects, Demon Seed follows Susan's desperate attempts to outmaneuver and outthink her captor. Then Susan learns what Proteus wants: its own child, conceived in her womb and destined for domination.

My Review:
Quirky, strange, weird, scary and immensely watchable.
From a Dean Koontz novel I had read some years ago, Julie Christie is outstanding and brings her character from the page to the screen with admirable panache. The direction is slick, and Vaughns creepy voice of the machine was an inspired choice. It is amazing to think this was made and created in the 70's, when today we are so close to such a scenario of computers with intelligence and artificial consciousness.
Engaging, typically attractive 70's sci-fi effects and feel similar to Logans Run etc, this was an unexpected entertaining pleasure to view.
My Rating
 ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
I see you liked it  A LOT MORE THEN I DID. I heard a lot of people go on about this movie so I bought it some time ago. But unfortunately I just couldn't get into it.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »

Title: Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Runtime:100
Certificate:PG
Year:1993
Genres:Comedy

Plot:The legend that had it coming, ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS wipes away the mystery - and the dignity! - of England's most infamous stocking-filler as Robin of Loxley and his merry men bring a dose of sheer mayhem to Sherwood Forest!  Throwing away their titles and their trousers, Robin and his nylon-clad crew battle to bring down the evil Prince John and his hideous side-kick the Sheriff of Rottingham to procure the key to Maid Marian's heart...and her chastity belt!  ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS...There's no flies on them!
My Review:
I have always thought 90% of Mel Brooks ventures were awful, but this sinks to a new low and is total crap.
A couple of reasonable performances from the likes of Cary Elwes and Eric Cramer try to drag this film up to mediocre, but sadly it only worsens with cheap and tacky gags, some downright awful acting, and sets looking distinctly amateurish and low budget.
Not sure if it's just that I dislike the director so much my view is tainted, but I cannot believe anyone would get more than a couple of titters from this weak spoof comedy.
My Rating
 :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

Title: The Marine 2

Runtime:95
Genres:War, Action

Plot:WWE Superstar Ted DiBiase joins "the few and the proud" in this explosive tale of white-knuckle action, stunning effects and true heroism fit for the Marines. This fully loaded DVD brings the action home with six featurettes, Muay Thai fight outtakes and much more!
On a well-deserved vacation to an exotic resort, Marine sergeant Joe Linwood (DiBiase) and his wife Robin are attending a VIP party when disaster strikes. Ruthless terrorists crash the event and claim a number of hostages -- including Robin! Alone in a foreign country with no backup, Linwood must rely on his Marine training to single-handedly strike back at the terrorists, save the hostages and prevent international war!
My Review:
Very much like the first film, this flick promises more than it delivers and ends up being a ridiculous Hollywood action film.
With the wooden Ted DiBiase in the lead role, one should be warned what drivelling depths this film will sink to. However it drops below awful in a storyline apparently written by a 7 year old boy, a cast that besides eye candy Lara Cox is laughable, and a ridiculous sense of self-worth that is totally undeserving.
A movie to prove that high-budget action does not equal entertainment.
My Rating
 :yucky:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:21:31 AM by Rich »

Rogmeister

« Reply #474 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
You're probably right about Mel Brooks' Robin Hood movie.  I never saw that one myself but everyone I ever heard from about this movie said it stinks.  I did like one exchange I've seen in promos for it, though.

Why should the people listen to you?

Because...unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.  :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2010, 01:31:17 AM »
You're probably right about Mel Brooks' Robin Hood movie.  I never saw that one myself but everyone I ever heard from about this movie said it stinks.  I did like one exchange I've seen in promos for it, though.

Why should the people listen to you?

Because...unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.  :laugh:

Yes Roger, undoubtably the best line in the film  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 18, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
Title: Carriers
[...]
My Rating
I felt the same way when I saw it at the cinema. I thought the major flaw was that all characters were basically stupid morons and the films lacked a likeable character for the audience to identify with. Also, it could have been a bot more 28 Days Later, but instead they just kept talking until my interest was near 0.

richierich

« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

Title: Shampoo

Runtime:110
Year:1975
Genres:Romance, Comedy

Plot:SHAMPOO is a racy, star-studded bedroom farce set in the decadent, sexually liberated Los Angeles of the late 1960s. Written by Academy Award® winner Warren Beatty (1982 Best Director, Reds) and Robert Towne (Chinatown) and directed by Hal Ashby (Being There), the film was nominated for four Academy Awards® and has been chosen as one of the American Film Institute's 100 Funniest Movies.
George (Beatty) is one of L.A.'s most desirable men, a Beverly Hills hairdresser who makes all his female clients look, and feel, better than ever. Encouraged by his girlfriend Jill (Goldie Hawn) to open his own salon, George approaches conservative businessman Lester (Jack Warden) for financing. Unbeknownst to Lester, George is sleeping with his wife (Lee Grant), his mistress (Julie Christie) and his teenage daughter (Carrie Fisher). Can George resist temptation and settle down with Jill or will he get tangled up in even more scandalous affairs?
My Review:
Revisit to a film I haven't seen since vhs days.
Goldie Hawn is a guilty pleasure of mine, I know she isn't a great actress but I just love her character and find her infectious.
This movie is a sex farce that doesn't fit brilliantly together, but is striking at times and contains some great acting, notably Warren Beatty in his good period, and even more so Lee Grant as Beattys lover. It has aged over the years, but is still an interesting insight into personal relationships and an alternative view of the hippy culture.
Hawn and a young Julie Christie both look tremendous, and raise the marks accordingly.
My Rating

richierich

« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »

Title: There's No Business Like Show Business

Runtime:117
Certificate:NR
Year:1954
Genres:Comedy, Musical

Plot:Marilyn Monroe and an all-star cast are featured in Irving Berlin's tuneful depiction of the trials and triumphs of a veteran vaudeville family. The talented Donahue family has plenty of love to get them through the hard times – that is, until they cross paths with a rising starlet (Monroe) whose own ambitions may make or break them. Co-starring Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor, this delightful classic delivers dazzling production numbers and masterful show tunes!

My Review:
Certainly not my favourite Marilyn Monroe film, this musical lacked a worthwhile plot, strong characters or much purpose.
But there is still some charm in its portrayal of a vaudeville family, and the songs of Berlin help drag this above the mundane, and you do find yourself smiling after watching it. Ethel Merman stood out amongst the cast, and the production is colourful and eye pleasing.
The worst element of the film for me is the prémis that Marilyn would of hung out with Donald O'Connor, unlikely or what and totally mismatched.
Still an enjoyable 50's Fox extravaganza, worth a one-off viewing.
My Rating

richierich

« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

Title: Dances with Wolves (BLURAY)

Runtime:181
Certificate:15
Year:1990
Genres:Western, Drama

Plot:Assigned to a remote outpost in the 1860’s West, Lt. John Dunbar fears the nearby Sioux Indians and expects to fight them. Instead, he befriends them and becomes the man in the middle of a brushfire of tension: the conflict between U.S. expansion and Native Americans.
Kevin Costner plays Dunbar and makes one of Hollywood’s most impressive directorial debuts with this winner of seven Academy Awards** including Best Picture and Best Director. Battles rage, fates collide, bison thunder across the prairie - the adventure is epic, heroic and stunning.

My Review:
An old favourite watched for the first time on bluray.
Firstly the film. It is a superb, deep, moving and memorable epic, directed and starring Costner, in a role that suited his acting persona perfectly. It is passionately produced, with dreamy landscapes and backdrops depicting the old frontier, cinematography at its best. It's portrayal of the Union officer living life on a lonely outpost and his befriending of the native Sioux, culminating in his marriage to Stands with a Fist, is mesmeric and with the moving ongoing narration from his journal draws you into the movie. The use of native languages, Dunbars passionate character, the great performances from so many actors, makes you forget this film is 3 hours long and creates great empathy from the viewer. Whether this picture atones in any way for the treatment by the white man of the Native American Sioux is unlikely, but it does give a truer vision of a caring, compassionate and spiritual people that Hollywood portrayed unjustly for so many years.
As for the bluray itself, I was disappointed as this is the 3 hour cut, not the extended or directors editions. The visuals are superb, but of course they were also on dvd, its just that bit better now. The colours are lush and sharper, fully exploiting those spectacular sweeping vistas of wide open plains. There seems to be more on the screen also, with little or no cropping, adding that feeling of vastness. The sound is rich and wholesome, and bar a few grainy scenes this is a good advert for a 1080 transfer.
My Rating
 :thumbup:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:50:36 PM by Rich »