Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92644 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:36 AM »
I love Eugene Levy as Jim's dad.  He's the best character in the movie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »

You're on the guest list - for this UNRATED AMERICAN WEDDING, the version you couldn't see in theaters! The AMERICAN PIE gang returns to wreak havoc with a new rite of passage when Jim (Jason Biggs) and Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) decide to get married! Of course, Stifler (Seann William Scott) will be there (bridesmaids!) and, more importantly, will throw the ultimate bachelor party (strippers!). So RSVP for the outrageously UNRATED AMERICAN WEDDING experience, in this hilariously hot, frantically funny final chapter of the unforgettable AMERICAN PIE saga!

My Thoughts

I did enjoy this one overall, though some things - like Stiffler acting like a complete idiot all the time - are getting old. 

Michell and Jim get engaged, and they don't intend to tell Stiffler because they are worried he'll ruin things.  Unfortunately, Stiffler found out anyway and forced his way into what was going on.  He even managed to make Michelle's parents think he was a wonderful guy while Jim struggles to make a better impression.  Kevin and Finch help with the planning while Finch is busy chasing after Michelle's younger sister along with Stiffler. 

The plot for this one isn't any more complicated than the plots for the first two  movies.  Jim and Michelle get engaged within the first few minutes and the rest of the movie is focused on the wedding plans, some of which go horribly wrong.  The movie is entertaining overall and I did enjoy seeing more of Jim and Michelle. 

The gross stuff went a bit too far, especially with one thing that Stiffler ends up doing.  That was just disgusting and it added nothing to the movie.  Some of the humor doesn't work as well in this one, but there are several funny moments.  There are a few surprises, though the movie is mostly predictable.  There are several sexual situations again, including more mishaps for Jim.  There does seem to be more nudity in this movie, at least during the wild bachelor party that Stiffler throws.  The sexual things in the movie could end up offending some viewers.

Jim and Michelle and still likable and Jim's dad is back again as well.  He continues to deal with some embarrassing situations well.  Kevin doesn't have as much to do, which makes me happy with how annoying I was finding him in the first movies.  Vicky, Heather, Oz, and Nadia aren't back, and I really didn't miss them.  Stiffler is the same sex obsessed jerk he's been, and he does get a bit annoying.

Overall, the movie is entertaining, though certain things aren't working as well.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

American Wedding

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
The sexual things in the movie could end up offending some viewers.
I was offended by this movie. Not because of the nudity evidently (even if I don't really like gratuitious nude scene), but by the fact that Eugene Levy, a good Canadian actor (BTW I recommand Cannibal Girls if you want to see him in one of his earliest role), is typecast to play the same character forever because of this poor franchise.

Najemikon

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »
I've always enjoyed The Wedding, although it is fundamentally weak. It is in fact a film about Stifler, and all other characters including Michelle and Jim, are secondary and feel forced in. But still, I found it very funny, including the disgusting bit you mentioned(!) and especially the gay club/bachelor party sequence. And I loved the dogs at the start! That big wolfhound was funny without trying... :D

For some reason my mum likes this film. She hasn't seen the others and somehow I don't think she would enjoy them. She likes this because of Eugene Levy and Fred Willard. Jimmy, no-one has a gun to Levy's head and it'll probably look after his pension, plus a lot more people know of him. My mum would never go near stuff like Cannibal Girls! But she knows the guy, likes him and that's thanks to Pie. For some reason, he keeps saying yes to the daft DTV sequels, but he's obviously realised where his bread is buttered. :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
Except for teh Stiffler thing, what bothered me most about Wedding was that no american stripper seems to have natural breasts anymore. For me this whole scene was a total turn-off. I like to see beautiful naked women, but not these silicone bags.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2009, 01:21:11 AM »
Stiffler does seem to be the main focus of the movie even though it is supposed to be about Jim and Michelle's wedding.  Stiffler just sort of took over everything. 
I've only seen one of the DVD release movies...the band camp one.  Levy was fine in his part again, though it did seem a bit odd for him to be back without Jim being involved in some way.

I've seen Levy in some other parts and I do tend to like him.  I'll have to try to find more of his other movies.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »
I've seen Levy in some other parts and I do tend to like him.  I'll have to try to find more of his other movies.
I think he was in Rat Race, which I don't recommend. It has many famous comedy stars, John Cleese being one of them, and feel entirly like a cash-in.

He was also in the TV show Greg the Bunny, which only had half a season. He is not the lead though, so he isn't around all that much.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
I think he was in Rat Race, which I don't recommend. It has many famous comedy stars, John Cleese being one of them, and feel entirly like a cash-in.

He was also in the TV show Greg the Bunny, which only had half a season. He is not the lead though, so he isn't around all that much.

I don't remember Levy being in Rat Race.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
I also know him from the Christopher Guest mockumentaries, which he co-wrote and starred in: A Mighty Wind, For Your Consideration, Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show.
He also has a memorable scene in "Serendipity" and was in Splash. Strange, he doesn't show up for Rat Race when searching for him in my collection. I don't think he was in it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:49 AM »
I don't remember Levy being in Rat Race.
I should not have trusted my memory and checked IMDb the first time around :bag: Your memory is correct.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
I've done that before too..thought that someone was in a movie or show when they weren't.  After seeing so many movies, it can be easy to get them confused at times.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:11 AM »

From the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas comes a visually stunning stop-motion animated feature - the first to be filmed in 3-D! Discover how the filmmakers and artisans created the magical handmade world of Coraline, exclusively in this 2-Disc Collector's Edition!

Coraline Jones is bored in her new home until she finds a secret door that leads her into a world that's just like her own. . .but better! But when this fantastical adventure turns dangerous and her "other" Mother tries to keep her forever, Coraline must conunt on her resourcefulness and bravery to get home.

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this movie, though it is rather twisted and dark, especially for an animated movie.  I don't consider this a good choice for younger children.  The plot is interesting and makes for an entertaining movie, but aspects of it may be too dark for some viewers.  There are some rather disturbing images that turn up every so often as well.  This movie isn't going to appeal to everyone.  The story does have a bit of mystery to it as well as some suspenseful moments.  The animation is very well done.

My biggest issue with the movie is the way some of the characters are depicted.  It is harder to like them, even Coraline, because of how they act at times.  I get that she isn't happy about the move, but she does come across as a brat at times.  I do think she gets more likable as the movie progresses.  Coraline's parents aren't much better, especially her mother.  She is just shown in a perpetual bad mood, always snapping about something and only caring about her work.  Coraline's dad is a little better, but he is very focused on his work too.  With the way they act, it is easy to see why Coraline is so tempted by the other parents.

I did not see this movie in the theater.  My DVD does have the 3D version too and even came with 4 pairs of the glasses.  I tried the 3D version, but it wasn't that great.  I only noticed a few images that really worked for the 3D.  The color change because of the glasses was very extreme and did get annoying.  After a while, my eyes started hurting and I just gave up on the 3D version, flipping back to the normal version instead.  I'm sure the 3D worked much better in the theater.  I have seen a few other movies in 3D in the theater, and they worked well without the color distortion because of the different glasses.  I also haven't had my eyes start hurting in the theater.  Unless technology gets better, home viewing of 3D is lousy.

Overall, this is a good movie for people who don't mind something that is a little twisted and dark.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Coraline

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »
My biggest issue with the movie is the way some of the characters are depicted.  It is harder to like them, even Coraline, because of how they act at times.  I get that she isn't happy about the move, but she does come across as a brat at times.  I do think she gets more likable as the movie progresses.
I count this as a plus-point for the movie! Being not entirely likable makes for a realistic character (she's a kid after all and as such bound to be a brat at times) and this allows for her to change (getting more likable) throughout the film, meaning there is character progression. Whaqt would be the point of the film if Coraline was the same at the beginning and the end...?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 06:36:35 AM »
I count this as a plus-point for the movie! Being not entirely likable makes for a realistic character...

BTW, I often happen to like so called non-likable characters, and not just for the sake of story progression. Be that Coraline or Dexter's sister (who also got on Marie's nerves).
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
BTW, I often happen to like so called non-likable characters, and not just for the sake of story progression. Be that Coraline or Dexter's sister (who also got on Marie's nerves).
I found Dexter'S sister very likable... :laugh: She's a bit stupid at times but the way she talks and behaves make her cool in my book :thumbup: