Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92633 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
I will have to look into this one... I like Nicole Kidman! :)

It isn't her best movie...but it is just twisted enough for me to like.  :laugh: 
I'll agree with Jimmy and suggest you check out the original. It has Katherine Ross in it, who takes Kidman's cake any day of the week :P

Marie, you sure did some catching up on your reviews here! And with good stuff too :D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

Marie, you sure did some catching up on your reviews here! And with good stuff too :D

I finally got motivated today to post about them.  I still have more to add..but I've got my lists, so I'll eventually get them all posted. :)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:53 AM »

What wonders await you in Willy Wonka's factory? Explore fields of soft minty sugar grass in the Chocolate Room...Sail along the Chocolate River in a pink sugar boat...Experiment with Everlasting Gobstoppers in the Inventing Room...Observe talented squirrels in the Nut Room and travel to the Television Room by a glass elevator. You'll find a lot that's funny, a little that's mysterious...and an adventure as sweet as a satisfying as a Wonka Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight bar. This dazzling film adapted from Roald Dahl's classic children's novel, directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp and Freddie Highmore, is your Golden Ticket to a world so inventive, so imaginative, you won't want to miss a delicious moment!

My Thoughts

I love this movie.  It is a bit different from the original in a way that works really well.  The characters are interesting and Johnny Depp is perfect as Willie Wonka, making him kooky and a bit twisted.  The plot is interesting and I enjoyed the new flashback scenes showing earlier times in Wonka's life.  The settings in the candy factory look amazing.  The movie isn't really a comedy overall, though there is a decent amount of humor in the movie.  It is a bit dark and twisted at times, so it won't appeal to everyone.

:thumbup:

I did get a review posted on Epinions after I saw the movie in the theater.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »

Wild, wacky and operating at warp speed, meet Mork from planet Ork - the maniacal alien of Mork & Mindy, the riotous television sitcom presented in this complete "Season One" DVD collection. Actor-comedian Robin Williams zoomed to stardom with co-star Pam Dawber in this laugh-filled comedy series spawned from a 1978 episode of Happy Days.

Dispatched from Ork in his egg-shaped spacecraft, the lovable Orkan hurtles to Earth near the town of Boulder, Colorado, where he is befriended by pretty college student Mindy McConnell (Dawber). Mork's mission is to observe the bizarre customs of the earthlings and then report back to his great Orkan leader, Orson. He tries his best to adapt to his new environment - not an easy task when you innocently wear your clothes backwards, sit in a chair upside down, or blurt out "Shazbot!" when things go awry. It's an out-of-this-world series of laughs and escapades when human being meets humanoid hurricane in Mork & Mindy.

My Thoughts

The show is goofy and silly, but it is very entertaining.  I remember watching the show when I was younger and I still really like it.  The episodes are entertaining and very funny showing how Mork is trying to adjust to life on Earth.  He even meets someone who is odder than he is - Exodar.  That character cracks me up every time he turns up.  Some things in the show are a bit dated, but I still think the show has held up well.  It is still very funny.  I love Robin Williams as Mork.  I like the way Mindy's father and grandmother deal with Mork as well.  Overall, the first season is very entertaining.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Mork & Mindy - The Complete First Season

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »

Born into a world filled with prejudice are children who possess extraordinary and dangerous powers - the result of unique genetic mutations. Cyclops unleashes bolts of energy from his eyes. Storm can manipulate the weather at will. Rogue absorbs the life force of anyone she touches. But under the tutelage of Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart), these and other outcasts learn to harness their powers for the good of mankind. Now they must protect those who fear them as the nefarious Magneto (Ian McKellan), who believes humans and mutants can never co-exist, unveils his sinister plan for the future!

Pulsing with state-of-the-art visual effects and unforgettable characters, X-MEN "delivers it all!" (ABC-TV)

My Thoughts

This is a good movie introduction to the world of the X-Men.  Several of the well known characters are here, though some of the back stories with how the characters end up at the school are changed a bit.  Things are definitely different for Rogue, though I think the changes work fairly well.  I like how Wolverine comes to work with the group.  There are good action scenes throughout the movie and a few funny moments here and there.  Since there are so many characters involved, there isn't much development for most of them, which is slightly disappointing.  Overall this is a very good movie.

I got a review posted on Epinions a few years ago if anyone wants to take a look.

X-Men

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »

Following a shocking attack on the President, the X-Men must stand united with their deadliest enemies to combat a menace that threatens every mutant on the planet – and possibly all of mankind.

Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry lead an all-star cast in this dazzling, action-packed spectacle that is "arguably the greatest superhero movie ever!" (Entertainment Weekly)

My Thoughts

This is a wonderfully entertaining movie and one of the few sequels that is stronger than the original.  I love that Nightcrawler is introduced even though I was still irritated that Gambit was left out again.  There is a small reference to Gambit in one scene that is easily missed.  There are all sorts of interesting things tied to Logan/Wolverine's past shared that I really enjoyed.  I also liked how the movie was setting up things to cover the Phoenix story from the comic books.  The plot works very well and is entertaining.  The main plot is resolved while some things are also left for the next movie.  The cast all fit their characters well.  There is a good amount of action and a few humorous moments throughout the movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions back after seeing the movie in the theater.

X2 - X-Men United

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2009, 01:02:07 AM »

Experience the awesome power of The X-Men's epic, final battle. Join well-known mutant heroes and villains, and meet a cadre of all-new warriors – including Angel, Beast, Juggernaut and Colossus – in this thrilling, explosive adventure!

After a controversial "cure" is discovered, mutants can choose to retain their superhuman abilities or give up their unique gifts and become "normal." When peaceful mutant leader Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) clashes with his militant counterpart, Magneto (Ian McKellen), the battle lines are drawn for the war to end all wars.

Bursting with nonstop action, spectacular special effects and exclusive special features, X-MEN THE LAST STAND is a force of nature that "will blow you away!" (NY1)

My Thoughts

This movie is entertaining, but I don't think it is as good as the first two X-Men movies.  Nightcrawler is done and there is no explanation for where he is after it seemed like he was going to stay with the X-Men at the end of the second movie.  Gambit is still missing.  The plot, or should I say plots, had potential that they didn't reach.  After all the set up for the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story in the second movie, the way he was dealt with in this movie failed.  The origins of Phoenix is completely different, though I suppose the explanation in the movie is easier for people not familiar with the source material to follow.  Jean/Phoenix ultimately ends up not doing much and the chance to do a story about Phoenix is wasted.  The plot connected to the cure is interesting, but it also isn't that developed.  It could have been a more powerful plot if there was more time devoted to it and how some of the mutants were tempted by the cure...or struggled with the decision to get it.  As it was, mutants were just shown showing up and waiting in line to get the cure.  The impact of the cure - specifically as it relates to a few characters - isn't fully dealt with it.  Each of the stories would have worked so much better if they had been in their own movies instead of crammed together into one.  I still wonder how much the change in director played a part in the plot.  There is an interesting scene after the credits that seemed to have potential for future movies that so far haven't happened.

Overall, the movie is entertaining, but it isn't as good as the first two movies.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions after first seeing the movie in the theater.

X-Men: The Last Stand

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »

An anti-social nut job and his leathered band of pranksters are on the prowl, spray-painting the town red and emptying the pockets of anyone sharing the sidewalk. In the wake of this crime wave, you might wonder where the educational system went wrong. But then again, consider the Police Academy.

For when the newly graduated misfits in blue tangle with these pinheaded punkers in 'Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment', the result is an open-and-shut case of nonstop hilarity. Steve Guttenberg, George Gaynes and other 'Police Academy' originals return to the roll call, facing the formidable Bobcat Goldthwait in the tailor-made role of the wacked-out gangleader. It's a riot – a laugh-riot – in the streets!

My Thoughts

The movie is funny and entertaining overall, though it isn't a movie for everyone.  It is probably too silly for some viewers.  Zed is highly annoying and I don't really like all the attention he gets.  The plot is goofy, which fits in with what happened in the first movie.  People that liked the first one may find something to enjoy with this one.  People that didn't like the first movie should probably avoid this one.  The characters are mostly interesting and entertaining.  Mauser seems to just be a replacement for Harris from the first movie.  In some ways he's even more of a jerk than Harris was.

Overall the movie is entertaining, though I've seen better.

:D

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2009, 03:24:09 AM »

The raw, inept, blunderhead civilians who graduated to become raw, inept, blunderhead cops "carry on with a lot of good, low humor" (Vincent Canby, The New York Times) in their third hilarious outing.

A budget crisis has decreed that only one of the state's two cop schools can survive, so the race is on to see which academy can avoid the ax by turning out the superior force. So Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg), Hightower (Bubba Smith), Tackleberry (David Graf), Jones (Michael Winslow), Hooks (Marion Ramsey) and Callahan (Leslie Easterbrook) - led by eternally befuddled Cmdt. Lassard (George Gaynes) - mobilize hilariously in their alma mater's defense. You have the right to remain silent - but you'll end up howling.

My Thoughts

The movie is silly, but I still enjoy it, like the other Police Academy movies.  I'm not sure how much time is supposed to have passed between the 2nd movie and this one.  The characters are still basically the same, which works with what is going on.  Most of the characters are idiots, but that makes the movie rather entertaining.  It is funny, though the type of humor won't appeal to some viewers.  The plot isn't that complicated, but it still manages to entertaining.  People who enjoyed the first movies will probably like this one as well.

:D

I do have a review posted on Epinions for this one.

Police Academy 3: Back in Training

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2009, 03:35:04 AM »

Led by an amazing performance by Emmy®-nominated actor Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under), Dexter is one of the most critically acclaimed, must-see television shows of the year! Like no other crime drama you've seen before, this horrifying and intoxicating DVD includes all 12 riveting Season One episodes and a host of delightfully twisted special features.

My Thoughts

I had been hearing things about this show for a few years before I finally decided to get the first season.  I'm so glad I got it.  It is one of the best shows I've seen in a very long time.  The mystery related to the Ice Truck Killer is handled very well.  I did end up figuring out one thing, though there was still a lot - tied to the motivations of the killer and things like that - that remained a mystery.  The show is a bit twisted, but very good.  It wasn't as violent as I had thought it might be before I started watching it.  The characters are interesting, though some of them did annoy me a bit.  Dexter's sister is nice and all, but she did irritate and annoy me frequently.  I can't stand the one detective that is suspicious of Dexter..Dukes I think it was..or something like that.  Anyway, he's a huge jerk. 

Overall I really liked the show. I do have the second season that I'll get to watching at some point.

I did get a review posted at Epinions.

Dexter - The Complete First Season

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2009, 03:43:52 AM »

Here's the uncensored version of America's #1 comedy hit, re-edited to include the scenes you couldn't see in theaters. You'll never look at warm apple pie the same way again! American Pie takes a hysterical look at the goal of four "unlucky in love" high school friends who make the ultimate pact: lose their virginity by prom night. As they try to manipulate their way into the...hearts of some of their classmates, their plans often backfire with hilarity.

Follow the raging hormones of four teenage boys and their girls as they gear up for the most important night of their lives...the prom?

My Thoughts

This is a funny, mostly entertaining movie.  I've seen it several times now and still enjoy it, though it definitely isn't a movie for everyone.  Most of the humor is rather crude and has the potential to offend people.  Anyone that doesn't care for that type of humor should stay away from the movie.  The plot is fairly simple, though it still manages to be entertaining.  The characters are fine for the most part.  Jim is likable.  His dad is a wonderful character.  Oz and Finch are fine.  Stiffler is a bit of a jerk.  Kevin didn't bother me the first few times I saw the movie, but he annoys me now.  The girls aren't around as much so they don't add as much to the movie.  I really don't like Vicky.  There are a lot of sexual situations in the movie, including a rather unique one involving a pie, but there really aren't any actual sex scenes and only a small amount of nudity.  The sexual content could bother some people.

Overall, the movie is funny and entertaining.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

American Pie

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »
[Dexter S1]
Dexter's sister is nice and all, but she did irritate and annoy me frequently.

I thought Jennifer Carpenter was brilliant as Dexter's sister, and I really loved the character as well. Tough, yet vulnerable. Insecure, but determined. Really foul-mouthed. A bit of a cliché maybe, but one I have a tendency to fall for.
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2009, 06:15:38 AM »
I liked her overall...I just found her annoying and irritating at times.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2009, 01:11:11 AM »

Here's the pie you couldn't see in theaters! This special unrated edition of American Pie 2 is the comedy hit you'll want to watch again and again!

The characters you love are back! One year after the prom-night misadventures immortalized in American Pie, the entire gang has reunited for the summer. Now, an innocent-looking beach house will be transformed into the ultimate party central. Five guys will discover the powerful bonds of friendship...and Super Glue. Five girls will explore the mysteries of love...and the Rule of Three. And from late-night band camp encounters to some very accommodating next-door neighbors, this will be one summer vacation none of them will ever forget!

My Thoughts

This is an entertaining sequel overall that people who enjoyed the first movie will probably enjoy as well.

After finishing their first year of college, Jim, Oz, Kevin, Finch, and Stiffler return to their hometown.  Jim still hasn't had much luck with women, so he panics a bit when Nadia calls him to say she is coming to see him at the end of the summer.  He eventually decides to talk to Michelle about how he was when they had sex and she ends up trying to help him so he'll be better with Nadia.  Kevin decides it would be a good idea for them to rent a house at the lake for the summer and he talks his friends into it.  He is still hung up on Vicky and not dealing with their breakup well.  Finch has done fine with women while at college, but he is still a bit hung up on Stiffler's mom.  He starts studying tantra when he believes that he will have another opportunity with her.  Oz is happy with Heather, though they have to face being apart since she is studying in Europe for the summer.  Stiffler is just chasing after every woman he can like normal, including two he is convinced are lesbians. 

The plot for the movie is rather simple, but it is entertaining.  Certain things are predictable, though there are a few surprises that pop up that keep things interesting.  Jim's horrible luck with sex continues and the movie begins with his attempt to have goodbye sex with a girl from college.  Things already aren't going well when Jim's dad walks in, followed by his mom and then the girl's parents.  During the movie, Jim has more mishaps.  Things go horribly wrong when he uses super glue at the wrong time, causing him to end up glued to himself.  There is a lot of sexual content in the movie, though really no actual sex scenes.  There is nudity in a few scenes and at one point, Stiffler is running around waving a sex toy. 

There is a lot of humor throughout the movie, most of which is somehow tied to different sexual situations, like when Jim has his accident with the super glue.  Much of the humor is somewhat crude and gross, but it is very funny.  The humor won't appeal to everyone, but I think it works with what is going on.

The characters are mostly like they were in the first movie.  Kevin still bugs me a bit, especially with how he was moping around after Vicky.  She isn't in as much of the movie, which makes me happy since I didn't care for her that much.  Heather and Nadia also aren't around that much.  Stiffler is around more and acting like more of a jerk at times.  Oz doesn't do as much and Finch is mostly focused on his study of tantra.  Stiffler's mom does turn up again. 

Overall, this is an entertaining funny movie, though it won't appeal to everyone.

I did update my review on Epinions recently.

American Pie 2

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2009, 06:16:02 AM »
While the characters wears out in the later films (American Wedding and then the spin-offs, the latter I have not seen) I thought that Eugene Levy as jim's dad still takes the cake in this one.