Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92643 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »

"Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo catch fire" (USA Today) in this sizzling, suspense-filled thriller from the director of Die Hard and The Hunt For Red October.

Thrill-seeking billionaire Thomas Crown (Brosnan) loves nothing more than courting disaster — and winning! So when his world becomes too stiflingly "safe," he pulls off his boldest stunt ever: stealing a priceless painting — in broad daylight — from one of Manhattan's most heavily-guarded museums. But his post-heist excitement soon pales beside an even greater challenge: Catherine Banning (Russo). A beautiful insurance investigator hired to retrieve the artwork, Catherine's every bit as intelligent, cunning and hungry for adventure as he is. And just when Thomas realizes he's finally met his match, she skillfully leads him into a daring game of cat and mouse that's more intoxicating — and dangerous — than anything either of them has ever experienced before!

My Thoughts

I'll start by saying that I've never seen the original, so I have no clue how the movies would compare. 

I thought this was an entertaining movie with some adventure and mystery.  I thought the way the robbery was done worked very well and made things very interesting.  There were a few little plot holes, but they didn't keep me from enjoying the movie.  Some scenes did move a bit slow and drag a bit, so the movie could be too slow for some people. 

Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo had wonderful chemistry.  It was nice to see that the woman was close in age to the man instead of being young enough to be his daughter - or granddaughter in some cases.  There were some steamy scenes between when, like when she was wearing a very sheer dress when they were dancing.  There were a few steamy sex scenes and Russo did bare her breasts as well. 

;D

I did get a review posted at Epinions yesterday if anyone would like to read it.

The Thomas Crown Affair

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
The original was great. You should check it out.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »
The original was great. You should check it out.
...and while this one may have Pierce, the original has Steve! (McQueen, if you have to ask :P)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 01:41:47 AM »
I probably will check it out at some point.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »

Everyone is buzzing for 'BEE MOVIE', the hit comedy from creator and comic icon Jerry Seinfeld. Ambitious young worker bee Barry B. Benson soars out into the world with the high-flying pollen jocks in search of nectar and adventure. But when he breaks one of the cardinal rules of beedom and speaks to humans, Barry sets off an un-bee-lievable chain of events that prove even a little bee can make a big difference!

My Thoughts

I first saw this one in the theater when it first came out.  I've really never been a fan of Seinfeld, but it looked like it could be a cute movie so I decided to give it a chance.  Added to that the fact that I have frequently been disappointed with other animated movies from Dreamworks and my expectations really weren't that high.  I did end up enjoying it and think it is one of the better animated movies that Dreamworks has made.  The story was cute, though it did get a little overbearing with the message near the end.  The animation was done well, but not as good as Pixar.  The voices all fit the characters well, though a few of them did go a tad overboard at times.

Overall, I thought it was a cute, entertaining animated movie and I'm glad I added it to my collection.

I did post a review on Epinions back after I first saw the movie.

Bee Movie

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 06:16:20 AM »

You'll be seeing stars (Orson Welles, Steve Martin, Bob Hope and more!) as 'The Muppet Movie' tells the rags-to-riches tale of Kermit the Frog's leap to fame and fortune.

It's Hollywood or bust when a small frog in a small swamp hears about a big audition in Tinsel Town. Against all odds, Kermit hits the road to the big time with only his bicycle and his dreams.

Along the way, he meets a beautiful actress (Miss Piggy), a stand-up comedian (Fozzie Bear) and a whole troupe of talented friends who join Kermit as he heads West. It's sure to be a lights, camera, action-packed good time!

My Thoughts

I love this movie.  I grew up watching The Muppet Show and this was one of the first movies that my mom took me to see in the theater.  The movie was full of everything that is great about the Muppets.  I loved how it showed how the characters were supposed to have met.  There were all sorts of funny things going on and the movie still makes me laugh.  The humor won't work for everyone, but I think it is very funny.  The movie had more of a plot than the episodes of The Muppet Show did, though the movie did have a lot of songs like the show did.  The songs all worked really well with the movie.  There were a lot of great guest stars in the movie too.  This showed the Muppets when they were at their best. 

There have been a few different DVD versions released.  I think the newer DVD release has had more extras, but I'm not sure.  There weren't many extras on the version I have.  There was a screen test type of thing that showed Kermit and Fozzy wondering around.  That was hilarious.

:thumbup:

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Muppet Movie

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I just realized that I forgot to post a bit about a few other movies that I've watched over the last month, so I decided to go ahead a post a bit about those movies now.

Life's a beach for Jack Ryan (Owen Wilson). The surfing slacker and petty thief is playing the angles on Oahu's North Shore when along come the curves: a willowy beauty (Sara Foster) with a simple plan that she says can net her and Jack a bundle. All Jack has to do is walk into a house poor. And walk out rich.

A little larceny. A lot of laughs. Plus sea breezes, breezy dialogue, sunny romance and glimmering starpower that has Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise, Charlie Sheen and more. They're all part of a twist-filled comedy caper directed by George Armitage (Grosse Pointe Blank) and based on the novel by Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty). Nice work if you can get it. And fun to watch.

My Thoughts

I actually picked this one up back when it came out even though I hadn't seen it and really knew nothing about it.  I don't do that very often.  Anyway, it took me over four years to get around to watching it.  :laugh:
Anyway, the plot was mildly entertaining, but it got to the point that too much was going on.  There were all these subplots going on that seemed to have no connection to the main plot, but then of course, they were all connected.  Nothing was developed enough to live up to the potential and I was ultimately left feeling just..blah about the movie.  It wasn't horrible, but it was far from great.  The best thing about it was seeing all the beautiful scenery in Hawaii - though men will probably like seeing Sara Foster strut around in barely there bikinis.  ;)

:-\

I have a draft of a longer review of the movie done to post on Epinions..but I haven't finished it all up yet. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »

What makes this Special Edition of 'The Parent Trap' so cool isn't just that you get to enjoy Lindsay Lohan's amazing theatrical debut, but that it's filled with bonus material you've never seen before. Hallie Parker,a hip Californian, and Annie James, a proper London miss (both played by Lohan), are identical twins who don't even know each other exists - until they accidentally meet at summer camp. Now they're up to their freckles in schemes and dreams to switch places, get their parents (Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson) back together and have the family they've always wished for!

My Thoughts

I first saw this one years ago.  I have only seen a little bit of the original, but I do like this version.  Lindsay Lohan showed a lot of potential in the parts of Hallie and Annie - obviously this was made years before she spiraled out of control.  This is a fun, cute family friendly movie that I do still enjoying watching.  Meredith worked wonderfully as the villain and I liked how the girls nicknamed her Cruella Da Vil.  The movie was funny, though some of the humor was a bit silly, but it never veered into gross humor.  Overall, I think this is a good family, friendly movie.

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone would like to take a look.

The Parent Trap

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »

t's the craziest mix-up ever! Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell dazzle the screen in this buoyant and screwball comedy of memory-making and memory-faking. One of Hollywood's most dynamic screen pairs, Hawn and Russell make the most of every hilarious situation in this delightful riches to rags romance that's perfect entertainment for anyone who appreciates a great practical joke.

Hawn is Joanna Stayton, the pampered wife of a pretentious, yacht-owning socialite. When their boat gets stuck for repairs, Joanna employs carpenter Dean Profitt (Russell) to improve her closet space. But when Dean asks to be paid, he's blatantly turned down by the "nothing is ever good enough for me" Joanna. So when Joanna falls overboard and gets a bad case of amnesia, Dean takes advantage of the situation and, in a stroke of retributive genius, tells her that she's his wife and the mother of his four unruly children!

My Thoughts

This is a fun, entertaining movie even though it is rather silly. Joanna was so stuck up and rude that she sort of deserved for someone to get back at her even though what Dean did wasn't that nice.  Dean and his sons were living like wild men and Joanna attempting to figure out how to resume her household responsibilities was hilarious.  Russell and Hawn worked wonderfully together and made everything work.  I don't think it would have worked as well with a different cast.  I still really enjoy this movie.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions last year if anyone wants to take a look. :)

Overboard

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »

"My name is Jim, but most people call me...Jim." And while Blazing Saddles is deliriously funny, most people call it deliriously funnier, thanks to this special, extras-packed 30th-Anniversary Edition.

Filmmaker, star and paddle-ball wiz Mel Brooks goes way out West and way out of his mind with a spiffy spoof set in an 1874 Old West where 1974 Hollywood is one soundstage away – and where nonstop fun blasts prejudices to the high comedy heavens. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn and more join for horseplay and horselaughs, making Blazing Saddles the #6 choice among the American Film Institute's Top-100 Comedies. Give these out to the boys in lieu of pay. And enjoy.

My Thoughts

This was the first time that I had seen all of the movie in a very long time.  I think I may have only seen a version that had been edited for television because I was shocked by how much one word was used throughout the movie - or maybe I just forgot.  It worked in this particular movie, but the language, and the usage of that word in particular, may offend some people.  The movie was very funny, but it won't appeal to everyone.  I did really enjoy the movie.

;D

I have started working on a review to post on Epinions.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »

Kevin Costner gives one of the best performances of his career" ('Chicago Sun-Times') in this cunningly crafted thriller filled with nail-biting suspense from beginning to end.

Earl Brooks (Costner) has a thriving business, a devoted wife, a loving daughter... and a terrible secret. He's a psychopathic serial killer, and no one has ever suspected him. Unable to control his horrific addiction, Brooks gives in to his sadistic, all-too-real alter ego (William Hurt) and succumbs to his murderous urges. But a pesky witness (Dane Cook) to his latest crime and a stubborn detective (Demi Moore) on the case add shocking new twists to an already terrifying game of cat and mouse.

My Thoughts

I loved this movie when I saw it.  Unfortunately, it was released during the summer and was sort of lost among the highly anticipated movies being released around the same time.  The idea of a killer feeling like he was addicted to it and he tried to suppress the urges was very intriguing to me.  I really liked Kevin Costner in the part - and he's never really been one of my favorites.  He made the character and his internal struggles very believable.  I liked adding in the element of the witness and how all of that developed.  I wasn't as interested in all the extra stuff related to Tracy and her pending divorce that was going.  I'm still not overly fond of Demi Moore. 

Overall, this was a very well done thriller that deserves to be seen.

;D

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone would like to take a look.

Mr. Brooks

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

Brendon Fraser stars in this action-packed adventure based on the Jules Verne classic that is sure to deliver fun for the whole family! On a hunch to find the center of the earth, Trevor Anderson (Fraser), his nephew and their tour guide make a breakthrough discovery that launches them on a thrilling journey into the unknown. On a scramble to find their way back, the group travels through a never-before-seen world, encountering creatures and objects never imagined.

My Thoughts

I know a lot of people didn't like this movie at all.  It was a bit silly at times and there was a lot of overacting going on, but I still managed to enjoy it and thought it was a fun adventure overall.  I've never read the book or seen any other movie versions, so I don't know how this version compares.  I haven't seen it in 3-D, but it was obvious at times when something was done to maximize the 3-D.  I did think the movie was entertaining overall and had an interesting plot even though things could have been handled better.  This isn't a movie that will appeal to everyone though.

This is an average movie for me..sort of between  :D and  :-\

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone would want to take a look.

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »

The Great Muppet Caper will steal your heart as Jim Henson's incredible cast travels to Great Britain to solve the crime of the century!

When famous fashion designer Lady Holiday reports her priceless diamond necklace stolen, reporters Kermit™ and Fozzie™ are on the case! Starved for a story, the two new journalists head for London, without the foggiest idea where to begin!

The plot thickens when the goods are found on one of Lady Holiday's models, Miss Piggy™! It's up to Kermit™ and his Muppet sleuths to catch the real robbers red-handed...before Miss Piggy™ winds up in the pen!

My Thoughts

I remember seeing this movie as a child when it first came out - and I had a set of glasses tied to the movie too.  Unfortunately, they all broke. :(  I remember being devastated when my favorite glass, the one with Miss Piggy on it, broke. 
Anyway, I still love this movie.  It is fun and entertaining.  Having the characters sort of playing other parts worked very well and the plot was original.  Some new Muppet characters turned up once Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo were in London.  There were some running jokes, like how bad the hotel they were staying at was, and some of the jokes were rather silly, but they all worked for the characters.  I just love anything associated with the Muppets, and this is one of the better movies featuring the characters.

The Great Muppet Caper

Najemikon

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Blimey, you've been busy! :laugh: I really liked Mr. Brooks too. I hope it did well enough for the part 2 that was talked about...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Blimey, you've been busy! :laugh: I really liked Mr. Brooks too. I hope it did well enough for the part 2 that was talked about...

:)  These were actually spread out over the last 4 weeks..I had just been forgetting to post about them here.

I remember hearing Kevin Costner say back when Mr. Brooks first came out that there was enough story already outlined for 2 more movies.  I would love to see them made.  The character was so interesting..especially with the developments later in the movie.