Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92641 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 03:50:13 AM »
I've always prefered the first one, the effects are not as good but the second one is too familly friendly and it try too much to be cool. Eddie Furlong is really annoying in that too. Never watch the last one or the serie that almost everyone watch right now in the marathon.

Sorry only one Terminator exist in my world, he is a killing machine and not a toy for annoying teenagers :tomato:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 04:27:01 AM »
I've always prefered the first one, the effects are not as good but the second one is too familly friendly and it try too much to be cool. Eddie Furlong is really annoying in that too. Never watch the last one or the serie that almost everyone watch right now in the marathon.

Sorry only one Terminator exist in my world, he is a killing machine and not a toy for annoying teenagers :tomato:

I can understand that.  I liked certain things about the first one better too..but I also liked things from the second one.  I do agree that Edward Furlong - or whatever his name is - got annoying at times..especially when he was yelling or having some sort of..tempter tantrum.  Made it harder to believe that he was the future leader of humankind against the machines when he was acting like that.  Though I get he'd had a rough life, especially once his mom was locked up.  But still..he was annoying.  The third movie..well..it was ok, but not as good as the previous movies.  I'll get to that in a minute here. :)  I have started the series, and am liking it so far.  I still have one more from the first disc to watch.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 04:41:44 AM »

Arnold Schwarzenegger is back as a time-traveling T-101 Terminator in this smash hit directed by Jonathan Mostow. With dazzling effects, bravura thrills and a story that boldly spins into the unexpected, this is an event spectacle to see and see again.

My Thoughts

This completes my Terminator movie marathon..now on to the show. :)
For the most part, this was a decent action movie, but it wasn't as good as the first two movies.  I really didn't like that Sarah wasn't around and I really, really didn't like the explanation for why she was missing.  John had some ...attitude issues at times that were annoying.  I did think that the explanation for how Skynet was still created despite what happened in Terminator 2 made sense, though it would have been nice if there had been some more...specific information about how the same types of machines were created even though all the evidence was supposed to have been destroyed. 

There were some inconsistencies with what had been previously established though.  The biggest one was that during Terminator 2: Judgment Day, it was established that John was 10 years old when those events happened.  During the first few minutes of this movie, John did a voice over and said that the T-1000 had been sent to kill him when he was 13.  That is a minor thing, but it still bugged me.  Also, the Terminator that was sent back to protect looked the same, but was not the same Terminator from the second movie.  He knew certain things, but not specific things that had been done.  In the second movie, John ordered the Terminator to not kill anyone, so he didn't.  Right away in this movie, without him being given the order, he wasn't killing people during fights.  There wasn't any explanation for why he did that.  I'm guessing that maybe that was added when his programming was changed in the future.  It was a small thing, but it bugged me. 

The movie could have been better..and I'm thinking that if James Cameron had been involved it would have been, but it wasn't horrible. 

:D

I did write up a review that I posted on Epinions back in 2003 after seeing the movie in the theater.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:06 AM »
My copy doesn't have all that..mine is just a single disc version and there are some DVD-ROM things, but I haven't checked them out to see what they are.
Mine, which incidentally looks the same to your cover, is singe-disc but two-sided! There is a bunch of special features on side 2! I admit that I am not sure if all the stuff Jimmy mentioned is on it, but at least it's not vanilla.

http://www.ya-shin.com/phpdvdprofiler/index.php?mediaid=027616854735&action=show

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
What region is that? It looks like a flipper version of the ultimate edition I was talking about earlier because it's going on about hi-def transfer on the back...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »
Look like a canadian edition since the images for the rating at the back are the one use by our rating board. Surprisingly even if I'm canadian I've never see this edition in a store here (always the one in the Dragonfire review) thats why I've bought the UK release.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »
Mine, which incidentally looks the same to your cover, is singe-disc but two-sided! There is a bunch of special features on side 2! I admit that I am not sure if all the stuff Jimmy mentioned is on it, but at least it's not vanilla.

http://www.ya-shin.com/phpdvdprofiler/index.php?mediaid=027616854735&action=show

Mine is a single sided disc and no second disc. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:25 AM »

A spin-off of the tremendously popular "Diff'rent Strokes," THE FACTS OF LIFE is the hilarious series that follows housemother Mrs. Edna Garrett (Charlotte Rae) and her mission to instill values in the girls of Eastland School. The large first season cast included John Lawlor, Jenny O'Hara, Lisa Whelchel, Felice Schachter, Julie Piekarski, Kim Fields, Molly Ringwald, Julie Anne Haddock and Mindy Cohn. By the second season, the show focused on Mrs. Garrett and just four Eastland girls - spoiled Blair, gossipy Tootie, wise-cracking Natalie, and newcomer to the group, rebellious Jo (Nancy McKeon). Under Mrs. Garrett's guidance, these four go from wide-eyed school girls to mature young women ... all while learning THE FACTS OF LIFE! Guest stars include the cast of "Diff'rent Strokes," Helen Hunt and Richard Dean Anderson of TV's "MacGyver."

My Thoughts

I watched this show all the time when I was growing up.  I was always happy when I found the reruns on some station, but it seemed like they were never on for very long, which bugged me. 
I watched the episodes from the first season over 2 days last week.  I had seen these episodes before, but not when the show was originally on.  I remember one time when I was watching the reruns for this season and I was wondering who all the other girls were, where Jo was, and why they were living in that house instead of in the room over the cafeteria.  It was more believable to have more girls around, though most of them really didn't receive much attention.  It did seem a little odd to me that no other girls were around most of the time even though I had the impression that the school had a lot of students.  The few times they were in classes, it was just the same girls, even though they were different ages.  It also seemed weird too me that Tootie would be allowed to run around everywhere, even to her classes, on roller skates.  The extra on the making of the show said that was done to make her look taller.

I watched the first part of the second season late last night and today.  This is how I remember the show, with the four girls and Mrs. Garrett mostly around the cafeteria.  There did seem to be a better...blend with the characters and they seemed to be receiving more individual attention.  Most of the time - at least in the episodes I've watched so far - none of the other students were shown.  Only a couple of other girls have been briefly around.  I do enjoy the show.  It is so much better than some of the newer shows that are supposed to be aimed at kids.  It does tell a bit of a lesson, but it doesn't get all preachy like other shows have done.  It was dealing with some serious issues at times too.

;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:57 AM »
What region is that? It looks like a flipper version of the ultimate edition I was talking about earlier because it's going on about hi-def transfer on the back...
It' the R1 (US) release.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »
I finished the second season of The Facts of Life.  I remembered seeing most of the episodes and enjoyed seeing them again.  There were a few episodes I had been thinking would be in the second season but they weren't..so must be the third.  I'll have to pick that up one when I can.  Hopefully the rest of the seasons will start to be released too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »
I need to get season 3 also. I would like to see the rest released... but afraid it don't look good. Season 3 was released a year and a half ago.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 02:24:38 AM »
I knew it had been a while since the third season came out, but I hadn't realized just how long. :(  Though I will keep hoping.  I know that the first Season of Night Court has been out for a while and the second season is finally getting released soon..next month I think. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »
I haven't had a chance to watch much lately thanks to my work schedule.  I was there 12 hours today.  Anyway, I did watch The Thomas Crown Affair last week.  I'll post about that one specifically soon.  I also finished watching WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete First Season.  Very funny show that still cracks me up.

Right now I have started watching The Big Bang Theory again.   :hysterical:  I was wanting something to watch before I went to sleep last night and I just stuck that in.  Now I'll have to finish the season. I still love the show.  I'm annoyed that I missed the new show tonight...I got home right after it was over.  Grrr.  I'll hunt it up online in a few days.  I did get a few new DVDs that I ordered, so I'll start on some of those once I'm not working such long days.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 03:02:10 AM »
I finished watching the entire first season of The Big Bang Theory again...so now I have watched it 3 times since I got it.
I did get a review on the first season posted on Epinions back in December if anyone wants to take a look.

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete First Season
I started watching the first season of Night Court yesterday.  I've gotten through the first disc so far.  I am liking seeing the show again, though it is a little odd that Mac and Christine aren't around yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:11:35 PM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »

America's favorite wild and zany funnyman, Adam Sandler (The Wedding Singer), scores big laughs in a smash comedy where the laughs never run dry! Just an oddball mama's boy from the back bayous of Louisiana, Bobby Boucher (Sandler) never wanted anything more than to quench the thirst of the dehydrated athletes who treat him like dirt! But when Coach Klein (Henry Winkler - Scream) makes the call that allows Bobby to finally stand up for himself, it unleashes a torrent of bottled-up frustration...and exposes a talent for tackling that transforms him from a meek "water distribution engineer" to the hardest hitter ever to roam the gridiron! Also featuring award-winning Kathy Bates (Titanic, Misery) and sexy Fairuza Balk (The Craft) in a hilarious cast of stars - here's your chance to join the millions everywhere who've proudly stood and cheered for The Waterboy!

My Thoughts

This one is rather silly, but it is still entertaining.  Some of the humor didn't work, though I thought the movie was funny overall.  Sandler was slightly annoying as Bobby, but it wasn't so bad that I didn't still enjoy the movie.  It is one of the sillier movies that Sandler has made, so people that don't like his silly stuff may want to stay away from this one.  This isn't a movie that will appeal to everyone.

:D

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Waterboy