Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Outer Space  (Read 6413 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Outer Space
« on: December 26, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Outer Space
This weekend I will be leaving my comfort zone way behind as I decided to take a trip into Outer Space. This is something that I like now and then... but not something I ever attempted a marathon of since I do tend to tire of the subject matter after a little while. In this marathon I will be watching movies that takes place in Outer Space. I am counting things that take place up there for about half the film and more. I will also be adding in a couple chapters of an old Movie Serial in between each movie. This time I have chosen the serial "Radar Men from the Moon" I thought it would go nicely with the subject matter of this marathon... with an added bonus that I have never seen it before. So this weekend I decided to watch...

Armageddon
From the blockbuster-making team who produced and directed 'The Rock' comes the biggest movie of 1998 - 'Armageddon'! Starring the explosive talents of Bruce Willis ('Die Hard'), Academy Award winners Ben Affleck ('Good Will Hunting') and Billy Bob Thornton ('Sling Blade'), Liv Tyler ('Inventing the Abbots'), Steve Buscemi ('Con Air') and Will Patton ('Inventing the Abbots'), 'Armageddon' is a meteor storm of action-adventure moviemaking that has you on the edge of your seat forgetting to breathe!

When NASA's executive director, Dan Truman (Thornton), realizes the Earth has 18 days before it's obliterated by a meteor the size of Texas, he has only one option - land a ragtag team of roughneck oil drillers on the asteroid and drop a nuclear warhead into its core. Spectacular special effects, laugh-out-loud humor, great characters, riveting storytelling and heartfelt emotion make 'Armageddon' an exhilarating thrill ride you'll want to experience like there's no tomorrow.

My Thoughts:
Ok I figured this one takes place in space there about half the movie so I would include it. This is a movie I have always enjoyed. I have heard a couple things online about this movie... about half the people seem to hate it. Or as I have been reading a lot lately is that people are enjoying it although it is awful heavy on US patriotism.  And even though I never really thought about it before I can see their point about the patriotism. Lets face it... this is a movie you can't take too seriously. I mean this is little more then a leave your brain checked at the door pop-corn movie. You have some real characters in this movie. In my opinion it is just fun to watch... no more and no less.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Outer Space
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »

Radar Men from the Moon (Chapters 1-2)
From the early days of space exploration comes the intergalactic Sci-Fi favorite, Radar Men From The Moon, with superhero Commando Cody! George Wallace stars as the commander assigned by the government to investigate a series of strange explosions emanating from the moon. What he finds is an evil army of moon men lead by Retik (Roy Barcroft) and his sidekick Krog (Peter Broco) who are planning an invasion of planet Earth. Cody, along with fellow space travelers Joan Gilbert (Aline Towne) and Ted Richards (William Bakewell) are charged with the task of saving civilization on Earth as we know it - all in 12 episodes!

My Thoughts:
I have never seen this serial... but I have heard some good things about it. So I went into this one trying not to have too high of hopes... but expecting to enjoy it. After the first 2 chapters I am enjoying it so far. This Commando Cody reminds me a bit of Rocket Man... wondering if this is where they got the idea for him from. So far I have enjoyed the ending cliffhangers on each chapter. Especially how they left chapter 2. Even though I have a possible idea I kinda wonder how they will get out of this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:45:42 PM »

Starship Troopers
From the bridge of the Fleet Battlestation Ticonderoga, with its sweeping galactic views, to the desolate terrain of planet Klendathu, teeming with shrieking, fire-spitting brain-sucking special effects creatures, acclaimed director PAUL VERHOVEN crafts a dazzling epic based on Robert A. Heinlein's classic sci-fi adventure.
CASPER VAN DIEN, DINA MEYER, DENISE RICHARDS, JAKE BUSEY, NEIL PATRICK HARRIS, PATRICK MULDOON, and MICHAEL IRONSIDE star as the courageous soldiers who travel to the distant and desolate Klendathu system for the ultimate showdown between the species.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one... but I have seen better... though I will admit that it is beyond a little far fetched... but I think that is to be expected from anything set in the future. This is a movie that don't take itself too seriously though. It is almost like watching a live-action comic book. Which I guess is what makes it more of a fun watch then anything else.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »
It is already becoming a chore to watch any more. I think I will go back to watching a TV Series or something for a break and see if I can come back to this either later today or tomorrow.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:27 AM »
I enjoyed this one... but I have seen better...
Assuming you are referring to the same genre I'd love to hear what you think is better than Starship Troopers. Maybe something worth getting among that.

For me it's an excellent film with it's tongue firmly planted in its cheek. Not to talk about the special effects... At least a 4, defineitely not a 3 for me. (I do see that' it's a matter of personal opinion.)

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. If you try to take ST remotely serious, it just doesn't work. In fact I remember interviews at the time with several of the cast who were all coming out with the usual guff about "challenging roles" and "wonderful opportunities", but then on comes Paul Verhoeven, saying that he purposefully chose the worst actors he could find!  :hysterical: Perhaps not quite so explicit, but still, the point was not lost...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:08 AM »
Oh my gosh..he actually said that...or something like that?  I hadn't heard that.   :hysterical:  But...it does explain so much.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:16:37 AM »
Doogoie Howser as Nazi witch doctor! Who could possible take it seriously...

Well, I can see what Verhoeven means. Probably not really "worst" actors, but at least they fit their B-movie type roles very well; Casper Van Dien has bene in nothing but B-movies since. It also had Michael Ironside and Kurgan (his real name escapes me just now). But again, for the three main roles I certanly see what he refers to.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
I remember it was the first thing I saw Denise Richards in and she used both her expressions...  :devil:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »
I remember it was the first thing I saw Denise Richards in and she used both her expressions...  :devil:

:hysterical:
She had two?  I missed one of them...I must have blinked at the wrong moment.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:04:21 AM by Dragonfire »