Author Topic: Weekend Mini-Marathon: 12/13 - 12/14  (Read 7572 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Mini-Marathon: 12/13 - 12/14
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »
Weekend Mini-Marathon
12/13 - 12/14
Even though I am mostly concentrating on my Christmas Marathon this month... This weekend I wanted to watch some regular movies as well. Especially since I got a couple new movies yesterday as an early Christmas present. But since I am still doing a Christmas Marathon (at least 1 Christmas show per day till Christmas Day) what I watch this weekend will be a bit limited. So this weekend I decided to watch...

Pumpkinhead 4: Blood Feud
Although the blood feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys has been raging for decades, it's about to come to a grisly end. When Jodie Hatfield falls in love with Ricky McCoy, her two brothers' brutal attempt to break their engagement leads to the accidental death of Ricky's kid sister instead. Ignoring the ghostly warnings of Ed Harley himself (Lance Henriksen, PUMPKINHEAD, ALIEN vs. PREDATOR), Ricky calls upon Pumpkinhead – the legendary demon of vengeance – to avenge his kin by wiping out the Hatfields for good. As the carnage commences and Pumpkinhead slaughters any and all who get in his way, one thing remains certain: if a Hatfield is ever to marry a McCoy, it will be over their dead bodies.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I just got on Friday from a good friend of mine. Before now I have only ever seen parts 1 and 2... luckily you don't need to see these in order to watch them as I am still missing part 3. I actually went into this movie not really expecting much... I mean after... it is part 4! And how often into a series of movies do they stay good that far in? It happens... but not that often. In this case I enjoyed this movie much more then I was expecting to. The story was good.... it had some cool killings... and the gore was stepped up a bit. I also had some reservations because the story was about the Hatfields and McCoys... but once we got into the story that didn't bother me too much either. Over-all I am really happy with this one... and glad my friend picked it out for me.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Mini-Marathon: 12/13 - 12/14
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:53:14 AM »

The Beverly Hillbillies
The ultimate culture clash makes for a truly hilarious rags-to-riches story when the Clampett family strikes oil in the swamp behind their Ozark mountain shack. Inspired to relocate to Beverly Hills, the innocent, hard-working family is perfect bait for the swindlers, social climbers and gold diggers who await them. The all-star cast features Dabney Coleman, Lily Tomlin, Jim Varney, Lea Thompson, Rob Schneider and Diedrich Bader.

My Thoughts:
I decided to check this one out when I spotted it on Encore On-Demand. I wasn't expecting much of anything... but thought I could get a few laughs from it... as I used to watch the series years ago. And I definitely got a few laughs out of it. Matter of fact I quite enjoyed this one. I think this one would be a fun watch now and again... so if I can find it cheap enough I just may have to add it to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »

The Simpsons Movie
Homer accidentally causes an environmental catastrophe which could doom Springfield forever. Homer now must save the city and rescue his family. Springfield's usual characters and new favorites all turn up in the first ever movie length version of the hit TV show, 18 years in the making.

My Thoughts:
Another one I watched on On-Demand. It was pretty fun... and I can see myself watching it again at some point. But not one I will be in too big of a hurry to add to my collection. I probably would if I found the movie cheap enough.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
I didn't think there was much of anything to The Simpsons. Funny, but just an extended episode really.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
That is a good way to put it... just an extended episode really. Which is why I guess even though I enjoyed it... I am in no real hurry to add it to my collection.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
Yes, whereas South Park did their movie years ago and it was definitely a movie. Still unmistakeably South Park, but just a whole new and epic direction. I kept waiting for something like that in The Simpsons.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

License to Wed
Robin Williams, Mandy Moore and John Krasinski headline this zany, light-hearted romantic comedy about a young couple eager to walk down the aisle and the bride's minister, who aims to lower the divorce rate by busting up incompatible twosomes before the shoes and rice. Sign up for Rev. Frank's marriage preparation course. It's tougher than boot camp. And a whole lot funnier!

My Thoughts:
I watched this one on HBO On-Demand. Normally I really like a good Robin Williams comedy... but the last couple I have watched (this one and RV) really seemed to let me down. I don't know... maybe it is because he is getting older now... but it just seemed like Robin Williams lost a little of what I enjoyed the most about him... his goofy zaniness. And I must admit... I did not like that little boy that was supposed to be the Reverend's protege. He was nothing more then annoying. Even with that said... I don't think this movie is all bad. It definitely had potential... I just don't feel they followed through with it. I don't see myself adding this one to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 05:10:58 PM »
He definitely hasn't lost his zaniness, it'll be that these are formulaic movies designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Get them in on the promise of a classic comedian, but for God's sake don't offend anyone, so keep him on a tight leash so far as the script is concerned!