Author Topic: 25 Days of Christmas  (Read 57229 times)

lyonsden5

Re: 25 Days of Christmas
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »

The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis
Penny starts dating Leonard's handsome colleague; Leonard and his friends are tortured by Sheldon's obsession with gift-giving etiquette.

My Thoughts:
Last night was the Christmas episode of The Big Bang Theory. Since I was busy with my daughter last night I recorded it and watched it first thing this morning. And let me tell you... it was hilarious!  I loved every minute of it! Once again it is Sheldon that steals the story. First his obsession of what to give Penny when he finds out that Penny got him a Christmas gift.. then his reaction to that gift was I don't know... it couldn't have been done any better!

It was absofregginlutely hilarious.   :laugh: 
(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

The Jack Benny Program: Season 5 - Jack Does Christmas Shopping
Jack looks for Christmas gifts in a department store, and encounters Nelson as the floor manager, Blanc and Pepper as salespeople, Rubin as a bandit. The Sportsmen Quartet sing the Lucky commercial in the elevator.

My Thoughts:
I have caught a couple odd episodes of this show before here and there while channel surfing. But this could be the first time I seen one all the way through. A friend gave me this set not too long ago... and this is the first chance I had to watch an episode. This was a fun episode.. it had me laughing more then once. But since I am really not that familiar with classics there was a few times someone would come on screen and you would hear people cheer and clap for them... they must have been famous... but I have no idea who they were. It was also pretty fun how they worked in the commercials right into the episode like that. Another thing that I got a chuckle out of was a spot Jack Benny was doing a scene with someone... and you could see Jack Benny physically covering up his laughter. It makes you realize how differently they did TV Shows back then.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »

It's a Wonderful Life
No one is born to be a failure. No one is poor who has friends. Simple thoughts that were the inspiration for one of the richest, most uplifting, most beloved American films ever made. Frank Capra's classic tale of George Bailey and his Christmas Eve visit with a guardian angel was nominated for five Oscars® including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor. After more than 50 years it remains as powerful and moving as the day it was made.

My Thoughts:
This has always been "THE" classic Christmas movie for me to catch every year. This DVD was given to me a couple years ago this time for my Christmas marathon. It is one Christmas movie I always liked to watch each year. I am thrilled I now have it on DVD... as No more worries about commercials... let alone finding it on TV each year! Definitely one of my favorite holiday movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »

ER: Season 1 - The Gift
Benton makes a critical error when he publicizes the availability of a dying man's organs before obtaining the wife's permission. Lewis discovers that Cvetic has quit his job at the hospital, moved out of his apartment, and dropped out of sight. Carter makes a move on Susan. Chloe announces her pregnancy.

My Thoughts:
A decent... but somewhat standard Christmas episode. I enjoyed it... but it wasn't the best I ever saw.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »

Bewitched: Season 1 - A Vision of Sugar Plums
Seven year old Tommy, who lives in an orphanage, is happy to spend Christmas with Gladys and Abner Kravitz. Six year old Michael, also an orphan, derides Tommy's belief in Santa Claus. When Samantha and Darrin bring him home for the holidays, their efforts to get Michael to share in the festivities of the season fail.

My Thoughts:
Now this one I definitely enjoyed. I always liked Bewitch anyway... so it was fun to see a Christmas episode from it. And of course Samantha knowing Santa Claus was a perfect fit for the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »
I've still been watching Christmas stuff...I just got behind with adding to my list.

I did watch several Christmas episodes of Family Matters last week on Nick at Nite, but since I don't know the episode titles, I didn't add them to my list.  I've also watched some other new Christmas episodes that I haven't added to my list because I didn't get the titles of the episodes for them either. 

A Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa - This aired on NBC on the 17th and was a brand new Muppet Christmas special.

After a problem a little mix up at the post office on Christmas Eve, Gonzo ended up with some letters that were intended for Santa.  The post office was closed by the time he and Fozzie went back so they started trying to figure out a way to get the letters to Santa.  Several of the Muppets tried to help a little, but then they all headed off to different places for the holiday.  Kermit, Gonzo, and Fozzie decided to go to the North Pole to deliver the letters to Santa themselves.  The special did feature several new songs and was only an hour long.

My Thoughts

I love the Muppets, so I was thrilled when I found out that a new movie or special was being made.  I thought it was cute and I really enjoyed it overall.  The new songs were nice and fit in very well.  I thought this was more like the classic Muppets like during The Muppet Show and the first three movies.  Things were predictable and one thing with the plot didn't work as well in my opinion, but I really enjoyed it overall.  I will be adding this one to my DVD collection if it eventually is released on DVD.

;D

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:34:54 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2008, 01:22:36 AM »

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, the only creatures stirring were a transvestite, a homicidal Santa, a serial killer, the staff of a suicide hot line and a very crazy pregnant woman.

My Thoughts

I know that many people don't like this one, but I really do.  It is dark and rather twisted, which is probably why so many don't care for it.  I thought it was really funny and was a more unique Christmas movie.  The movie had a great cast and there was an interesting group of characters.  In addition to be a bit dark and twisted, some of the humor was also silly or slapstick, which also won't appeal to everyone.  This isn't a typical happy, festive Christmas movie.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2008, 01:26:45 AM »

You're invited to a zany holiday celebration, as Fozzie Bear and all of his show-biz pals head for the country to spend Christmas at Fozzie's Mom's farm house!

With snow falling outside and more friends dropping by, something magical happens! The sparkle of the stage lights up the farm house as the Muppets™ share their gifts of music, a play and, of course, Fozzie's stand-up comedy act!

When Miss Piggy™ arrives - through sleet and snow to catch Kermit™ under the mistletoe - the cast is complete for a warm and wonderful MUPPET FAMILY CHRISTMAS!

My Thoughts

I really like this one.  In addition to having all the Muppet characters from The Muppet Show and the movies, the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters also ended up involved.  I think this is the only special that has included all of them.  I loved seeing all the characters together and thought this was a very entertaining family friendly Christmas movie.  This one will probably mostly appeal to people who already like the Muppets.  I did think it was funny.  The humor was the same type used in the other movies and the Muppet movies, so some of the jokes were corny, but they worked perfectly for the Muppets. 

;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:34:33 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2008, 01:28:24 AM »

Have yourself a very Muppet Christmas with this all-new holiday movie starring Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and the whole Muppet gang - plus a celebrity cast featuring David Arquette, Joan Cusack and Whoopi Goldberg, with cameos by Michael Lillard, William H. Macy, Carson Daly, Kelly Ripa, Joe Rogan, Molly Shannon and the cast of "Scrubs"!

'Tis the night before Christmas, and the Muppet theater is in danger of being torn down. And when bad goes to worse, Kermit begins to believe the world would be a better place if he'd never been born. But don't worry! With heavenly help and hilarious send-ups of just about every holiday movie ever made, Kermit and the Muppets discover what matters most is their love for each other.

Featuring showstopping musical numbers like "Moulin Scrooge!" (starring Miss Piggy as "Saltine"), this "charming and clever" ('The San Diego Union-Tribune') holiday classic will have the whole family laughing!

My Thoughts

Since I decided to watch this one again, I decided to include it even though I also used it in November.  I wrote more about the movie at that point, so I won't repeat myself here.  It is an entertaining Christmas movie, though I don't like it as much as the other Muppet Christmas movies.

:D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:34:20 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2008, 01:33:38 AM »

Charles Dickens' classic holiday story sparkles with humor and whimsy in the hands of the always hilarious Muppets! Michael Caine stars as penny-pinching Ebenezer Scrooged in a performance that's anything but "bah humbug!" Alone on Christmas Eve, Scrooge is visited by ghosts who transport him to his past, present and future - and it's not a pretty sight! But along the way he comes upon poor, kind, humble Bob Cratchit (Kermit the Frog) and his family, including Tiny Tim who teaches Scrooge the true meaning of Christmas. Complete with original music and dazzling special effects, this heartfelt holiday movie is exceptional entertainment your family will enjoy for every Christmas to come.

My Thoughts

This is really one of the best versions of A Christmas Carol that I've ever seen.  The Muppet characters worked really well in the parts and Michael Caine was a great Scrooge.  Several songs were added - which is normal for a Muppet project - and they all worked really well.  They moved the story forward and weren't just there to have the Muppets sing.  There was a decent amount of humor, usually provided by the Muppet characters, but the movie kept the more serious moments from the original story as well.  This was the first major project for the Muppets after the death of Jim Henson and I think it was done very well.  Kermit's voice was different, but it was close to how Henson had performed the character.

:thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »

The Jack Benny Program - Christmas Show with Edgar and Frances Bergen
It's the week before Christmas and Jack drops by Edgar Bergen's house to go over the upcoming show's script with his guest star. When Edgar is detained rehearsing his radio show, his wife Frances entertains Jack.

My thoughts:
This one was another fun classic episode. But I don't think it was as good as the other Jack Benny Christmas episode that I watched where Jack Benny went to do some Christmas shopping and drove everyone nuts. It still had a few laugh in it for me though.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »

Sports Night: Season 1 - The Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee Tech
A southern African American football player and five other students refuse to play at a Tennessee college where the Confederate flag is hung. Luther Sachs the owner of CSC and alumnus of the college sides with the college, but Isaac disagrees and says so on the show.

Casey goes on "The View" and takes credit for his wardrobe, which he doesn't deserve and this leads Dan and another staffer to teach him that the show is a team.

My Thoughts:
This is the first time in a very long time I have watched an episode of this series. I watched it once when I first got the set back in 2003... but after watching this episode I think I will have to go back and watch the entire set. I forgot how good this series is. And I don't even like sports! But this show really isn't about sports... but about the people behind a television news show that just happens to be about sports. So if you are like me and not much of a sports fan don't let that stop you from checking out this series.

Christmas is no more then a back-drop for this episode... but non-the-less it is a very good episode. I enjoyed every minute of it... but I especially enjoyed the whole side storyline of Casey not knowing the names of the people he works with and fixing that at the end of the episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
... but after watching this episode I think I will have to go back and watch the entire set.

This is a series I also want to revisit soon. It was really great!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
I just finished watching the pilot episode... I can see myself watching this complete set again! only watched 2 episodes today... and I am already getting hooked on it again!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »

The Christmas spirit isn't served up with more observant hilarity than in this beloved adaptation of Jean Shepherd's holiday story. In 1940s Indiana, nine-year-old Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) dreams of his ideal Christmas gift: 'a genuine Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle'. But when gruff dad (Darren McGavin) and doting mom (Melinda Dillion) regularly respond with '"You'll shoot your eye out!"' Ralphie mounts a full-scale 'Santa-begging' campaign. He encounters a slew of calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. We 'triple-dog-dare you to unwrap' a more welcome Yultide classic!

My Thoughts

I only saw all of this movie for the first time within the last 5 years or so.  Before that, I had just seen a few bits on television.  This was the first time I've watched it without commercials..much better. :)  Anyway, I really like the movie.  It has a lot of funny scenes, like the dad fighting with the furnace and being so impressed with the tacky leg lamp..or when the neighbor's dogs invaded the house.  lol  And poor Ralphie..just wanting to get the BB gun, but everyone kept telling him he'd shoot his eye out. 

:thumbup: