Author Topic: 25 Days of Christmas  (Read 57240 times)

richierich

Re: 25 Days of Christmas
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
14/12

elf

Will Ferrell makes yet another memorable splash on the big screen in Jon Favreau's sweet and hilarious Christmas fable. Ferrell is Buddy, an innocent figure who was raised as an elf in the North Pole by his adoptive father, Papa Elf (Bob Newhart). When Buddy discovers that he's actually a human being, he heads to New York City to reunite with his biological father. The trouble is that his dad, Walter (James Caan), is a publishing executive who doesn't have time for anything other than work. Buddy moves in with Walter and his family, and proceeds to teach them a lesson or two about what being a family really means. Meanwhile, he also falls head over heels in love with the incredibly cute department store clerk, Jovie (Zooey Deschanel). By the time Christmas Eve rolls around, the general lack of spirit in the air threatens to ground Santa for the big night. He must rely on Buddy's expertise and overall enthusiasm to ensure that Christmas will be saved once again. Favreau's film is family entertainment at its finest, featuring a performance by Ferrell that is at once innocent, tender, and laugh-out-loud funny. A stellar supporting cast--including Caan, Deschanel, Newhart, and Faizon Love--adds to the film's already overabundant charm.

Why do I put myself through this - I let someone else choose a film to watch  :readthis:

Probably the most useless, unfunny, pathetic crap masquerading as a xmas film that I have ever had to endure, This is pure toilet, and should be used as a coaster for christmas
 :yucky:

richierich

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »
12/12

Bones - s3 - santa in the slush

Booth and Brennan investigate a mall Santa named Kris Kringle who was found dead by two elves. A series of clues makes the murdered mall Santa seem like he's the real deal.

Good episode made better by the ongoing chemistry mix between the lead actors, not too moralistic and overbearing, and a solid  :D

So have you seen seasons 1 & 2 now then? Because I remember you not liking the pilot...

I have done full series one, and 3 of 2. It has grown on me, and s2 and 3 are 2 of the 4 series I will watch over the xmas holiday break. Having to dip into series that I haven't completely seen to view an xmas episode could have been risky because of storylines, but in this case I am glad I've done it.

Najemikon

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
12/12

Bones - s3 - santa in the slush

Booth and Brennan investigate a mall Santa named Kris Kringle who was found dead by two elves. A series of clues makes the murdered mall Santa seem like he's the real deal.

Good episode made better by the ongoing chemistry mix between the lead actors, not too moralistic and overbearing, and a solid  :D

So have you seen seasons 1 & 2 now then? Because I remember you not liking the pilot...

I have done full series one, and 3 of 2. It has grown on me, and s2 and 3 are 2 of the 4 series I will watch over the xmas holiday break. Having to dip into series that I haven't completely seen to view an xmas episode could have been risky because of storylines, but in this case I am glad I've done it.

I did accidentally, and very regretfully, read a spoiler for Season 3. Major huge twist! It's pretty episodic, monster of the week stuff though usually so it probably kicks in towards the end of that season.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

Reba: Season 2 - COOKIES FOR SANTA
A despondent Reba finds herself alone on Christmas Eve after Jake goes to Brock's house and Cheyenne and Van decide to spend the holiday alone in a cabin in the woods.

My Thoughts:
Although this is a great sitcom... one I always enjoyed. This Christmas episode left a lot to be desired. I just didn't find it funny. It was actually a little on the sad side considering what it was about... even after the whole family got back together it did nothing to up the mood of the episode. Definitely a poor example of the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2008, 09:03:41 PM »
Probably the most useless, unfunny, pathetic crap masquerading as a xmas film that I have ever had to endure, This is pure toilet, and should be used as a coaster for christmas

Oooh, you're an angry elf... :laugh:

I like this film. It's pure innocence. Trashing it is like kicking a puppy. It is daft and more miss than hit, but come on, you must have liked some of it! Rapid-fire snowballs maybe? The afore-mentioned Angry Elf at the meeting, surely? Will Ferrell getting clobbered by a taxi? 

lyonsden5

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »

Oooh, you're an angry elf... :laugh:

:hysterical:

richierich

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
15/12

family man

Nicolas Cage stars as Jack Campbell, a career-driven workaholic who has everything: an exciting job, a Ferarri, a closetful of Zegna suits, and the attention of any woman he wants. His life changes when, after working a full day on Christmas Eve, he intervenes in a convenience store holdup. The apparent criminal, Cash (Don Cheadle), speaks to Jack in epigrams about his satisfaction with life. When Jack wakes up the next day, he's suddenly living in a New Jersey suburb, where he's married to his college sweetheart (Tea Leoni) and is the father of two children. At first he is aghast, but Jack soon warms to his new life even though he knows that it cannot last. Unabashedly sentimental, the film is also a great comedy, as Cage gives a superb performance that makes the most of his character's obvious disgust with his suburban surroundings and even allows for a few moments of hysterics reminiscent of VAMPIRE'S KISS. Filled with great performances (notably Ms. Leoni's role as Jack's wife), inspired comedy, and a premise that suggests a slightly darker version of classics like A CHRISTMAS CAROL and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, THE FAMILY MAN is an affecting and entertaining holiday film.

I had begun watching this film some time ago, and stopped after 10 minutes or so for some reason I fail to remember. Glad to have now watched it the whole way through as I found it an entertaining story, well acted, and an interesting scenario (what if?) that we probably have all considered at some point in our own lives.
Don't expect fireworks from what is a modern fairy-tale, but it is a feel good movie that works and an ideal xmas viewing  ;D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:39:43 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »
15/12

childrens christmas favourites

In some ways the expectation and anticipation leading up to Christmas Day is more fun than the anticlimax of the day iself. Children's Christmas television specials historically have been a reliable resource for savouring that delicious rise in holiday spirit and excitement. CHRISTMAS CHILDREN'S FAVOURITES is over two hours of modern animated characters children love (such as Bob the Builder, Pingu, Angelina Ballerina and Rubbadubbers) who find the meaning of the holiday in their own, wacky ways.

The visiting youngsters seemed to enjoy this compilation, several modern day and older xmas based episodes. I would think best for 2-4 year olds, put it on random and they would probably sit watching like goldfish for hours   :-\
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:52:36 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
15/12

party party

It's New Year's Eve and Larry's parents are off to the vicarage dance totally unaware that their home is about to be the venue for the wildest party ever... Music soundtrack features tracks from numerous leading bands of the 80s, including Elvis Costello, Madness, Modern Romance, Bad Manners and Altered Images.

Superb 80's nostalgic trip, brilliant music, a cast which is like spot a who'd who of future UK TV stars, some truly brilliant comedy moments. Pretty crap film and storyline non-existent - but who cares! Great viewing for anyone who grew up in UK in the 1980's,for anyone else probably an awful movie.  :D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »

The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis
Penny starts dating Leonard's handsome colleague; Leonard and his friends are tortured by Sheldon's obsession with gift-giving etiquette.

My Thoughts:
Last night was the Christmas episode of The Big Bang Theory. Since I was busy with my daughter last night I recorded it and watched it first thing this morning. And let me tell you... it was hilarious!  I loved every minute of it! Once again it is Sheldon that steals the story. First his obsession of what to give Penny when he finds out that Penny got him a Christmas gift.. then his reaction to that gift was I don't know... it couldn't have been done any better!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

Jingle All the Way
Arnold Schwarzenegger stars in this hilarious holiday comedy as a father desperate to buy that must-have Christmas toy during a frantic last-minute shopping spree on Christmas eve.

Howard Langston (Schwarzenegger) has promised his young son a Turbo Man action figure for Christmas, unaware that it's the season's hottest selling toy. And so begins a frenzied quest that pits Howard against a stressed-out mailman (Sinbad), a sleazy Santa impersonator (James Belushi) and every other harried parent in town, in "the best holiday family film in years." (Don Stotter, Entertainment Time-Out)

My Thoughts:
This is one of the Christmas movies I am always sure to watch every year. It is just a fun movie with a nice handful of laughs in it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: this is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:41:20 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »

Worst Week: Season 1 - The Gift
Sam finds out that Dick gives Angela the same Christmas gift every year, and decides to remedy this sad situation by helping Dick find the perfect present. Of course, things do not go exactly as planned.

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching last night's episode of Worst Week. This series on a whole is fair at best. One of those deals where I am watching while it is on... but I wouldn't care less if they canceled the series. And unfortunately this episode is no better then the rest of the series.... fair but less then impressive.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

NCIS: Season 6 - Silent Night
During the week of Christmas, the NCIS team is working overtime searching for a prime suspect who turns out to have been dead for 17 years.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. I really liked the Christmas sweater that Goth Forensic Scientist Abby was wearing... a red sweater with a skull wearing a Santa hat.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2008, 03:19:05 AM »

The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis
Penny starts dating Leonard's handsome colleague; Leonard and his friends are tortured by Sheldon's obsession with gift-giving etiquette.

My Thoughts:
Last night was the Christmas episode of The Big Bang Theory. Since I was busy with my daughter last night I recorded it and watched it first thing this morning. And let me tell you... it was hilarious!  I loved every minute of it! Once again it is Sheldon that steals the story. First his obsession of what to give Penny when he finds out that Penny got him a Christmas gift.. then his reaction to that gift was I don't know... it couldn't have been done any better!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Unfortunately I missed most of this..I've managed to find clips on line but I know I've missed things.  From what I saw, it was hilarious.  I think it will easily be one of my favorite Christmas episodes once I see the entire thing.  I did get to see Sheldon's reaction to the gift..that was ..well.  Just perfect for Sheldon - like the gift.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:11 AM »

In a hilarious take on Charles Dickens' holiday favorite 'A Christmas Carol', the New Original Movie 'Bah, HumDuck! A Looney Tunes Christmas' follows the exploits of Daffy Duck, the Scrooge-like proprietor of the Lucky Duck megamart. To take financial advantage of last-minute shoppers, Daffy demands that his employees, including long-suffering manager Porky Pig, work on Christmas Day instead of spending the holiday with their families. It's up to Bugs Bunny and the Ghosts of Christmas Past (Tweety and Granny), Present (Yosemite Sam) and Future (Tax) to make sure that Daffy realizes the errors of his ways and saves Christmas for the Looney Tunes gang.

My Thoughts

Since this was based on A Christmas Carol, it was mostly predictable, but I still really enjoyed it.  I've loved Looney Tunes for years though, so that might be part of why I liked it so much.  It was shorter than many other versions of the story, but it still worked well.  This version was a bit more fun than others, though there were still some more serious and touching moments.  Daffy was perfect to play the Scrooge part.  He ended up getting hurt in some various ways, like had happened to him in many of the old cartoons.  I think this is a good family friendly Christmas cartoon.

;D