Author Topic: 25 Days of Christmas  (Read 57239 times)

richierich

Re: 25 Days of Christmas
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »
5/1

the closer - s3 - next of kin

Brenda finds an opportunity to visit home when she attempts to track down a witness who disappears to Atlanta. Unfortunately, once she finds the witness, her holidays with family take on a whole new meaning.
Returning to L.A. proves to be a challenge when Brenda's witness remains hesitant, causing her to be creative.
The fallout leaves Brenda's parents picking up the pieces while Fritz becomes buried underneath all the stress.

Superb episode, toothy and dramatic, culminating in a climatic ending. As with all Closer stories, punches aren't pulled, and the gorgeous Kyra Sedgewick dominates the impressive cast. However for this xmas special double episode, they manage to subtly slip in many, many genuinely lol moments, and created a very memorable viewing experience  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 11:44:30 PM »
6/12

absolutely fabulous - s3 - happy new year

While Saffy plans to spend a quiet New Year's Eve with her family and Sarah, Eddie and Patsy prepare to join a huge underground rave party to see in the new year, but things change when word comes of the visit from Patsy's long lost sister, Jackie, who is notorious for being a '60s party animal. Upon her arrival, Patsy is distressed to learn that her sister (unlike herself) has actually aged in the last 30 years.

The series never developed any originality during its total 5 series run, but nonetheless it was always perfectly written with multitudes of great scenes and character interaction. I particularly like the constant battle between the imitable Patsy and the meek Saffy. Good also to see old favourite June Whitfield hitting the comedy mark, all in all a great holiday period special.  ;D

richierich

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »
6/12

my family - s3 - second greatest story ever told

The Harpers experience internal competition regarding a nativity play when both Nick and Susan audition for parts. Who will get a leading part and who will be cast as a shepherd? Also Ben is suffering from a severe toothache but is reluctant to put his trust in any other dentist.

Reliable comedy that can be picked up at any time, the Harpers are an engaging family with elements you can recognise in all British families. Kris Marshall is the star of this episode playing Jesus, and the relationship between him and his father is always the backbone of each of the first few series.  :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:08:02 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »
6/12

friends - s1 - the one with the monkey

The gang makes and breaks a pact to celebrate New Year's Eve without dates. Ross compensates for his loneliness by getting a roommate - a monkey named Marcel whom everyone adores. (Well, everyone except Monica, who can't get past the feces-throwing thing.) Phoebe faces a difficult decision when she meets a shy physicist who's thinking about giving up a fellowship in Minsk to stay with her.

The reason I can cope with Friends, despite having a daughter who watched the original series incessently on TV and video, is you feel comfortable picking up any programme from any series, and don't ever feel lost. Enjoyable xmas episode, god i fancy Courteney Cox
Interesting fact 1 - The frame around Monica's peephole was from the beginning a mirror, but a crewmember smashed it.
;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:07:07 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2008, 12:05:27 AM »
6/12

friends - s2 - the one with phoebes dad

It's Christmas time and Monica tries tipping with cookies, rather than cash, with mixed results. Phoebe learns that the guy in the pictures her grandmother keeps around is not her father and tries to track down her real father. Chandler and Joey wait too late to shop for presents.

Phoebe is my least favourite actor in Friends, so I did not enjoy this s2 episode quite so much. Loved the part where Joey and Chandler miss the xmas shops, so have to give presents from an all night garage.
Interesting fact 2 - The episode title format ("The One With/Where/etc...") was created when the producers realized that the episode titles would not be featured in the opening credits and therefore would be unknown to most of the audience. They believed that sitcom audiences generally refer to specific episodes of a show by the most memorable event of the episode (e.g. "Did you see the one where the monkey gets away?") and decided to name their episodes in that format.
 :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:06:17 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 12:16:41 AM »
6/12

friends - s3 - the one where rachel quits

Rachel makes a rash decision after Gunther tells her she needs to be retrained. Phoebe tries to help Joey when he gets a job selling Christmas trees. And Ross accidentally breaks a girl's leg and tries to make it up to her.

Dopey Ross is always good value, and seeing him selling the brownies cookies (does this still happen in USA?) is pretty funny. Phoebe singing xmas songs with guitar in cafe, with various twisted lyrics, is the best part of her whole input into the various series
Interesting fact 3 - Throughout the series, 27 episode titles reference Rachel, 23 reference Ross, 15 reference Joey, 10 reference Chandler, 10 reference Phoebe and 8 reference Monica.
 :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:10:20 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
6/12

friends - s4 - the one with the girl from poughkeepsie

Ross must decide whether to continue dating a girl he must travel two-and-a-half hours to see. Chandler sets Rachel up with a coworker who misunderstands her intentions. Monica is being treated poorly by her new coworkers so she hires Joey just so she can fire him and show who's the boss. And Phoebe tries to write the perfect holiday song.

Excellent xmas episode, all 3 storylines involved - Ross and his dating problems, Monica and Joey in the kitchen, and Rachel and her hilarious 'fling' after Chandler set her up, are very entertaining. One of the better Friends shows.
Interesting fact 4 - The reason why Ross and Emily's marriage was doomed was because Helen Baxendale was pregnant when she was cast. First she used a corset, then they only showed her from the neck up
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:13:19 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 12:26:43 AM »
6/12

men behaving badly - jingle b***s

Gary is organising Christmas for Dorothy, Tony and Deborah. His idea of organisation involves useless presents and a disastrous Christmas dinner. Everyone dreams of a 'real' Christmas.

If you haven't seen Men Behaving Badly yet then there are better episodes to begin with, especially since Neil Morrisey joined the cast after series 1 replacing Harry Enfield.
The 10 minute blooper reel at the beginning is pretty funny (especially the first one with debs knickers) but it becomes quickly tiresome watching actors blurting out foul language and making knob jokes and wanker signs.
The actual xmas episode is good though, some classic moments, and the part where ary is on rollerblades memorable. Worth a watch for an easy going laugh.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:18:54 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »
6/12

house - s2 - deception

With Foreman as House's supervisor, the team must figure out if a woman who cried wolf too many times is really ill.

Brilliant series, excellent character depth and background history, top notch viewing, about as good as it gets IMO from American TV today.
This really has not very much to do with xmas other than being set around the festive period, with relevent decorations around the hospital. But the actual plot of this episode is one of the best, a hyperchondriac who may actually have a serious mystery illness - or not.
 ;D

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:22:08 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »
6/12

national lampoons christmas vacation

The third instalment in National Lampoon's 'Vacations' series, this film sees the Griswold family attempting to have a good old-fashioned festive get-together. But with Clark's (Chevy Chase) redneck cousin, Eddie (Randy Quaid), and his clan dropping by unannounced, there won't be much peace and goodwill this holiday season.

My families traditional xmas movie, watched whilst putting xmas tree and decorations up. This is probably the 10th time of viewing, and I still have belly laughs at so many of the scenes, and despite being able to quote most of the lines now, still thoroughly enjoy this classic.
"merry xmas sir, merry xmas to you, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, happy honiker" as quoted by Clark as his bosses file pass in order of superiority.
Top rated  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:25:14 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 01:07:43 AM »

The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries: Season 2 - Will the Real Santa...
The distinction between who's naughty and who's nice becomes blurred as Nancy works to restore the honor of a gentleman who is accused of burglary -- and who claims to be Santa Claus.

My Thoughts:
Now this one is a real trip down memory lane! I used to love this show when I was no more then a little tyke. This id one of the episodes that Pamela Sue Martin played Nancy Drew (Janet Louise Johnson [AKA Janet Julian] took over shortly after). And she happens to be my favorite Nancy Drew to date. This is a good episode. It is strong on the holiday spirit... at the same time has a good mystery. I can see this episode becoming a regular part of my annual Christmas Marathon.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:10:08 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 01:24:29 AM »
6/12

The Harpers experience internal competition regarding a nativity play when both Nick and Susan audition for parts. Who will get a leading part and who will be cast as a shepherd? Also Ben is suffering from a severe toothache but is reluctant to put his trust in any other dentist.

Reliable comedy that can be picked up at any time, the Harpers are an engaging family with elements you can recognise in all British families. Kris Marshall is the star of this episode playing Jesus, and the relationship between him and his father is always the backbone of each of the first few series.  :D

Oh no, Rich! Not My Bloody Family. It's awful. I have no idea how its lasted as long as it has. Except that it's so weak and forced it's perfect for mass consumption. It's TVs equivalent of a Pot Noodle. For God's sake man, find The Good Life Christmas Special -the best Christmas sitcom episode ever- and bring some quality back!

richierich

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »
6/12

Oh no, Rich! Not My Bloody Family. It's awful. I have no idea how its lasted as long as it has. Except that it's so weak and forced it's perfect for mass consumption. It's TVs equivalent of a Pot Noodle. For God's sake man, find The Good Life Christmas Special -the best Christmas sitcom episode ever- and bring some quality back!

Teens who grew up with My Family love it, like a cult, similar to us with the likes of the good life (and yes it will be part of my marathon)  :thumbup:
Horses for courses, personally I'm not a great fan but can enjoy individual episodes taken at random
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:55:56 AM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 02:00:47 AM »
Teens who grew up with My Family love it, like a cult, similar to us with the likes of the good life (and yes it will be part of my marathon)  :thumbup:y )
Horses for courses, personally I'm not a great fan but can enjoy individual episodes taken at random

I'll have you know I came late to The Good Life! "Grew up with it"? How very dare you! I'm only [cough] 33...  :laugh: I tend to prefer the older ones though which I discovered through the joys of repeats; Fawlty Towers (boxset arrived today actually), Dad's Army, The Good Life. No need for anything else.  :-X

Najemikon

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 02:11:12 AM »
I had to find it and post it. This is TV gold! :thumbup: For anyone unfamiliar, it was about a couple who attempt self sufficiency and their very posh and materialistic neighbours. Well, Margot is at least! When Harrod's fail to deliver her Christmas, she is forced to join in with the Good's and their homemade version...

The Good Life