Author Topic: 25 Days of Christmas  (Read 57497 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Days of Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

The X-Files: Season 6 - How The Ghosts Stole Christmas
Mulder convinces Scully to put aside her gift wrapping on the night before Christmas to help him stake out a reputed haunted house.

My Thoughts:
Not only is this one of my favorite Christmas episodes to watch each year... it is one of my favorite episodes of X-Files. This episode has 2 big named guest stars in Ed Asner and Lily Tomlin. This episode taking place in (and some outside) a haunted house the entire episode only has the 4 actors in it. And I think they all did a great job.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »
3/12

Fred Claus

When wayward sibling Fred Claus (Vaughn) is bailed out of jail by his saintly brother Nick (Giamatti), he agrees to work at the North Pole for the pre-Christmas rush. But with efficiency expert Clyde (Spacey) plotting to shut down Santa Claus for good, now is a bad time for Fred�s brand of chaos...

With the hype that this would become a xmas favourite for years to come, my expectations were high. Sadly it was a festive flop.
Despite wonderful sets (North Pole) and potentially talented cast, the script is dreadfully poor and short of laughs. It never felt Christmassy, and surely that has to be the number one focus for this type of movie?
It was all a bit too contrived and the actors going through their paces, I dont want to 'sleigh' the film too much but really would not recommend anyone purchasing this dvd   :-\

I went to see this in the theater last November...hoping it would be a good new Christmas movie but it wasn't.  :(  I just didn't think it was funny..especially when Fred and Santa were fighting.  There was just something wrong about that for me.  I think they could have shown that there were..issues in the family without going that far.  There were a few moments that were decent and I loved the look of the North Pole, but that was about it.  Though I might watch it again if I found it on tv, but I don't have any plans to get the DVD.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire - Season 1

This was actually the first episode of The Simpsons to air.  It started off showing the school Christmas program which Homer was hating.  Christmas was put in danger when Marge had to spend the Christmas money to get a tattoo removed from Bart's arm that he lied about his age to get.  She was then depending solely on Homer's Christmas bonus from the nuclear power plant.  When Mr. Burns cut the bonuses, Homer was afraid to tell Marge and went out and got a second job to try to get money for Christmas.  That didn't work like Home had hoped either.

My Thoughts

I still enjoy this episode.  The character were acting basically like they still do.  The holiday was a bit dysfunctional, which is perfect when the Simpsons are involved.  It was a good introduction to the show and is an entertaining episode.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:22 PM »

Marge Be Not Proud - Season 7

Bart is desperate to get a new video game as Christmas draws near.  When he can't convince Marge to get it for him, he ultimately decided to try to steal it and is caught.  Bart managed to keep it from his parents until the family went back to the store for a Christmas family picture.  Marge was heartbroken when she found out what Bart had done and he tries to figure out how to get back on her good side. 

My Thoughts

This was another entertaining episode.  The main focus was more on Bart and what he did than the holiday, but it was also important to what was going on.  Bart did go further than he has before with his antics, but he also showed a more caring side as well when he was trying to figure out how to make it up to Marge. 

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace - Season 9

Marge won't let the family in the Christmas presents before 7 am.  Bart decides to drink 12 glasses of water before going to bed so that he'll wake up earlier and can get into the presents first.  He woke up 2 hours early and quickly headed for the tree after taking care of business.  He was playing with a toy fire truck when he managed to catch the tree and all the presents on fire.  Bart then panicked and hide the evidence of what happened in the yard, covering it with snow.  When the family gets up, Bart claims that he saw a burglar.  The town rallies around the family and gives them $15,000.  When the truth finally comes out, the family had spent the money and the town turns on the family.

My Thoughts

This was another entertaining episode.  This one did seem to have a bit more focus on Christmas than some of the other Simpson Christmas episodes.  It was another dysfunctional Christmas for the family, though this time, it also pulled the entire town in.  I did think the episode was funny.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »

The Grift of the Magi - Season 11

After the school runs out of money it is forced to close.  They try to get the money out of Mr. Burns, but that didn't work.  A company came in and took over the school, replacing all the teachers.  They weren't really teaching, but discussing toys and what made them fun.  Bart was thrilled while Lisa was upset about not learning.  She eventually figured out that the company was using the school to do market research for a new hot Christmas toy.  She set out to stop them with Bart's help.

My Thoughts

I enjoyed this episode as well. When it first started, it didn't seem to be about Christmas at all.  It was only after the episode got going that the Christmas connection turned up.   The holiday wasn't featured that much overall, which was a little disappointing, but the episode was still entertaining.

:D

richierich

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
4/1

Home improvement - s1 - yule better watch out

Tim competes in the neighborhood Christmas light competition. Mark writes his Christmas list to Santa, but Brad and Randy tell him Santa is dead.

As always a comfy feel-good brand of humour, no major laugh out loud moments but an enjoyment to watch nonetheless. Safe moralistic storyline in this episode, the highlight as is quite often the case in Home Improvement is tooltime with Al.
The only negative for me is the kids, they are just too sickly and I must drop it a mark accordingly.
 :D

richierich

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 10:26:55 AM »
5/1

home improvement - s2 - I'm scheming of a white christmas

Brad and Randy start collecting money for charity, but they get in trouble from Jill for spending some of the money they raised. Maureen Binford makes more changes on Tool Time.

Not such a good xmas special, the moralistic theme on the kids stealing charity collection money was too pathetic to be believable, the gags way too rare. Best bit watching Al and Tim on the skimobile, and a blast from the past with Manhattan Transfer

:-\
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:53:36 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
5/1

home improvement - s3 - 'twas the blight before christmas

Tim tries to beat Doc Johnson in the neighborhood Christmas light contest, but Randy is leaking information to Doc's granddaughter. Brad wants to go skiing with Tom Wheeler's family on Christmas.

It is only when you watch these in tandem does the lack of originality and genuine lack of decent storyline stick out like a sore thumb. As always a 'tidy' and mildly amusing episode, but no great shakes
 :-\
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:08:42 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »
5/1

home improvement - s4 - 'twas the night before chaos

Marty and his wife and kids, and Jill's parents come to visit and Tim and Jill try to solve their marital problems. Tim tries to beat Doc Johnson in the Christmas lighting contest.

This was much more amusing, an improved script flow and the introduction of a couple of good new characters into this xmas episode.  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:13:25 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »

The Santa Clause
Superstar comedian and Golden Globe winner* Tim Allen shines bright in Disney's magical, larger-than-life hit comedy that 'People Magazine' dubbed "the most playfully amusing, inventive cinematic...fable in several decades

Rooftop clatter leads to merry adventure after Santa falls down on the job, and Scott Calvin's son Charlie convinces dad to try on the red suit. Eight reindeer pilot the pair to the North Pole, where they soon discover that by donning the famous suit, dad must now accept all of Santa's duties! Over the next year, a surprised, not-so-jolly Scott grows a Santa-sized tummy and beard, causing friends, family and business associates to wonder if he's lost his marbles. All except Charlie, who thinks his dad is perfectly suited for his new job!

Each well-kept secret of the North Pole is revealed in Disney's hilarious and heartwarming tale that's "destined to become a holiday classic" ('New York Post'). Now you can unwrap all the magic of the holidays any day of the year!

*Best Actor ("Home Improvement")

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite movies to watch to help me get into the Christmas Spirit. I normally like to watch this while wrapping gifts. But this year I decided to watch it a little early so l only had a few gifts here to wrap while watching. I have been a fan of Tim Allen ever since I first saw him in Home Improvement. I don't know what it really is about this movie other then it is just a fun holiday movie... but it is one I just can not miss each year.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »

The Addams Family: Vol. 3 - Christmas with the Addams Family
Ho, ho, ho! Everyone gets in the Christmas spirit when Uncle Fester gets stuck in the chimney playing Santa Claus.

My Thoughts:
This is just a pure fun episode... but I must admit that a Christmas episode on this series just seems so out of place. Of course I believe that is part of the point... and even though it is out of place.... it did work. I found myself laughing more then once during this episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 02:41:10 AM »

The X-Mas Story - Futurama Season 2

Fry found out that Christmas had changed a lot during the 1000 years he was frozen.  It was called X-Mas and Santa was a robot that everyone was afraid of.  Fry and Leela were both feeling alone for different reasons.  Fry decided to get Leela a special present and he was still outside when Santa arrived.  Leela decided to go out and find Fry.  Bender decided to pretend to be a homeless robot so he could get some of the free booze.

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this episode.  It gave an interesting twist to Christmas in the future.  The robot Santa was horrible, and the holiday wasn't the same, though people did still send cards and give presents.  The episode was fun and entertaining.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »

A Tale of Two Santas

It was almost Christmas and the Planet Express crew were at work making sure the building was safe so Santa wouldn't be able to get in.  Then the Professor gave them their new job - they were to deliver letters to Santa on Neptune where he lived in an ice fortress.  On Neptune, they saw the aliens that Santa forced to serve as elves and came up with a plan to deal with Santa.  Then Bender stepped in to deliver toys, only no one was happy to see him when he showed up at their homes.  Then Bender was charged with things the real Santa had done.

My Thoughts

This is another very entertaining episode.  Everyone still feared Robot Santa, but something new was added by showing his place on Neptune.  It was interesting to see Bender try to act as a good Santa..especially since Bender isn't exactly a good character himself. 

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:44 AM »
I couldn't get the picture for the DVD set for this..kept telling me I had to refresh and it still wasn't working.

Christmas With the Joker - Batman the Animated Series - Volume One

On Christmas Eve, the Joker escaped from Arkham and took over all the television stations for his own Christmas special that involved putting people in danger and trying to get Batman.  The Joker also had 3 hostages to make things more interesting.  Batman and Robin had to spend Christmas Eve trying to stop the various things the Joker set up and find him before it was too late for the hostages.

My Thoughts

This is the second episode on the DVD set, though I'm not sure if it was the second episode that aired.  I know that many of the episodes aired in a different order.  Robin was already working with Batman and the Joker seemed to be all ready be established as a villain as well.  It was interesting to see Batman deal with the holiday.  He was more comfortable once it was clear what the Joker was up to and he had to go to work.  I thought the episode was very entertaining.

;D