Author Topic: Tom's Buffy and Angel Marathon  (Read 54676 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's Buffy and Angel Marathon
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
Currently I am lending my Buffy and Angel seasons to two collegues who have never seen these shows. And all the talk I have with them now about these episodes makes me want to revisit the series again. I will watch my season sets as I am getting them back.

Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season One
Year: 1997
Director:
Rating: 15
Length: 515 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround , French: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Dutch, English, French

Plot:
Season One brings Buffy into contact with her Watcher, Giles (Head), as well as the support gang who will help her in her quest to combat evil Willow (Hannigan), Xander (Brendon), Cordelia (Carpenter) and the love of her life, Angel (Boreanaz).

Extras:
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Pilot Screenplay
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Buffy and Angel Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
01. Welcome to the Hellmouth (1997-03-10)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), Joss Whedon (Writer)
Director: Charles Martin Smith
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Mark Metcalf (The Master), Brian Thompson (Luke), David Boreanaz (Angel), Ken Lerner (Principal Flutie), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Julie Benz (Darla), J. Patrick Lawlor (Thomas), Eric Balfour (Jesse), Natalie Strauss (Teacher), Carmine D. Giovinazzo (Boy), Amy Chance (Girl #1), Tupelo Jereme (Girl #2), Persia White (Girl #3)

It's been some years that I have last watched Buffy. This is a good introduction to the series and its humor. I forgot a lot of funny stuff, like the scene with the principal. Also I had almost forgot about Jesse.
But where the heck is Dawn? Wasn't she always there ? :laugh:

02. The Harvest (1997-03-10)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), Joss Whedon (Writer)
Director: John T. Kretchmer
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Mark Metcalf (The Master), Brian Thompson (Luke), David Boreanaz (Angel), Ken Lerner (Principal Flutie), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Julie Benz (Darla), Eric Balfour (Jesse), Mercedes McNab (Harmony), Jeffrey Steven Smith (Guy in Comp. Class), Teddy Lane, Jr. (Bouncer), Deborah Brown (Girl)

A good showdown to the pilot episodes. I always liked how Buffy defeated Luke.
I always thought that Buffy looked best in Season 1. She got thinner and thinner with each season until she was just a stick. But in season 1 she was just right ;)
I like the make-up job on the Master. Sadly he will be just a whiny vampire when the season gets on.

On the down-side, this episode had some obvious blunders. Like why is the bouncer counting money, when Cordelia said earlier, that there is no cover charge this evening?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:31:05 PM by Tom »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
I always thought that Buffy looked best in Season 1. She got thinner and thinner with each season until she was just a stick. But in season 1 she was just right ;)
I agree. ;) Especially from season 4 onwards she became way too thin.

On the down-side, this episode had some obvious blunders. Like why is the bouncer counting money, when Cordelia said earlier, that there is no cover charge this evening?
I never noticed that and I have watched the pilot quite a few times. :o

BTW: You should try to scan (if you scan at all) the cover sideways. It helped with the silver reflection on mine:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:42:20 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 12:39:11 AM »

I thought she got too thin as the series progressed too.  She was at a nice normal weight when the show started and then eventually ended up a member of the walking toothpick brigade. 

I've been thinking about watching my episodes again too..but I haven't yet.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:21 AM »
I thought there towards the end she was so thin she was sickly looking.

I been considering watching these 2 series as they aired. Watch seasons 1-3 of Buffy... then Seasons 4-7 of Buffy I would rotate an episode of Buffy followed by an episode of Angel... lining up all crossovers and story continuations as they were when they aired. It would be the first time I seen them as they aired since I didn't get to watch these series when they originally aired.

The only thing stopping me is the thought of having to change the disc after every episode once we hit season 4 of Buffy.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:22 AM »
I didn't start watching Buffy until about season..umm..6 I think.  I didn't get the channel when it first started, though I did think it sounded like an interesting show.  I finally started to watch it after it was in syndication and I found some episodes.  Then I started to get the DVD sets.  I watched some of Angel every so often, but didn't start watching all the time until the next to last season..4th I think. 

That could be a good way to watch the shows..especially seeing the crossovers as they happened on both and even just some of the references to the other characters, but like you said, that could get to be a pain having to switch the discs that many times.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:21:44 AM »
I think I will do it sooner or later. I want to be able to say that once in my life I saw the series as it was originally meant to be seen.

The more I think about it... I just may do this here soon. changing the discs will be a pain... but what the hell! :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »
Well..Buffy is worth it. :)

Now I'm wanting to watch my Buffy sets again...and I still have so many other DVDs I want to get to.   :laugh:  I'll be starting Christmas movies soon.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:25:05 AM »
The only thing stopping me is the thought of having to change the disc after every episode once we hit season 4 of Buffy.

As I also don't want to change the disc after each episode, I have made myself a list, on which episodes it is important to consider the order of watching the episodes to get the most of the crossovers. No guarantee that it is complete as it has been awhile that I watched both series.

Buffy Season 4 / Angel Season 1
B4.1->A1.1
B4.3->A1.3
B4.8->A1.8
B4.15,16->A1.18,19->B4.20

Buffy Season 5 / Angel Season 2
B5.7<->A2.7

Buffy Season 6 / Angel Season 3
B6.4<->A3.4
B6.5<->A3.5

Buffy Season 7 / Angel Season 4
A4.13,14->B7.17->A4.15->B7.18
A4.22->B7.21,22

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" &  "Angel" Crossover Guide

Thanks! I think this was the guide I used as reference when making my list. But I disregarded everything, where only a character from previous seasons appears in each other series. Also I think I added some to my list, which weren't mentioned in the crossover guide. For example I think I remember, that Buffy 5.07 and Angel 2.07 had flashbacks to the same time and place (I think it was the Chinese Boxer Rebellion) and one scene, where these flashbacks overcrossed.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
For example I think I remember, that Buffy 5.07 and Angel 2.07 had flashbacks to the same time and place (I think it was the Chinese Boxer Rebellion) and one scene, where these flashbacks overcrossed.
You seem to be right. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool_for_Love_(Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_episode)
"Fool for Love" is episode 7 of season 5 of the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It is a companion to the Angel episode "Darla", which first aired later the same night on The WB network; both episodes include multiple flashbacks to the history of Spike and Darla, shown from their respective viewpoints.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
I have a confession to make: I did it again. I fall for nice packages if I enjoy the conents. And now, after already having Babylon 5 twice (first loose season boxes, then a nice complete metal box) and having two complete boxes of Friends, first the black UK then the red US with partially longer episodes, I ordered a second Buffy box.

I already have this one (UK), but a few days back the entire Buffy series was in the Amazon.com goldbox for $70 and I simply couldn't resist.

At least I can justify it to myself with the fact that the UK box used 16:9 from the fourth season on and now I can see it as it was meant to be. ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:26:13 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
At least I can justify it to myself with the fact that the UK box used 16:9 from the fourth season on and now I can see it as it was meant to be. ;)

Which is 16:9  ;D
I know Joss says otherwise  :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
Your justification could be, that there are some small cuts in season 3 of the UK version ;)

But the US does away with the recaps and thus looses the great one in the last episode of season 5.