Author Topic: Medium Marathon  (Read 12521 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Medium Marathon
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »
Medium Marathon
I decided to start a marathon of one of my favorite series. Medium starring the lovely Patricia Arquette, I have been a fan of this show... and Patricia Arquette herself... every since the pilot episode originally aired. As of now I have the first 3 seasons on DVD. And I plan on watching all 3 seasons... reviewing each episode as I do.

From the creator of 'Moonlighting' comes the hit suspense series starring Patricia Arquette in an Emmy® Award-winning portrayal of a woman haunted by visions of murder.

Every day, Allison DuBois wonders if her psychic power is a gift...or a curse. As a consultant to law enforcement, she uses her mind to uncover the dark secrets of vicious killers. The risks to her life are enormous. The strain threatens her family. But how can she refuse to listen when the dead cry out for justice? Experience all the nerve-wracking suspense and heart-touching drama in this five-disc set that includes all 16 thrilling episodes of 'Medium: The Complete First Season'.

Season 1 Disc 1:

1. Pilot (Extended Version)
Wile, mother, and psychic Allison DuBois (Patricia Arquette) can communicate with the dead and is convinced she can use her gift to help solve crimes. She's put to the test when she gets a call from the Texas Rangers.

My Thoughts:
For this viewing I decided to watch the extended version.. which has a few extra minutes added back into the show. This was a excellent start to an awesome series. I liked the character of the Texas Ranger she helps... Captain Push. Which does show up a couple more times through-out the series. This episode really does a good job at setting the ground for the series. I really enjoyed every minute of it.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

2. Suspicions And Certainties
Now working for Phoenix District Attorney Manuel Devalos (Miguel Sandoval), Allison is brought in to help with jury selection in order to help convict a killer. But later, she worries the police may have the wrong man.

My Thoughts:
One of the things I like about this series is how it never fails to start with a dream Allison is having. Only thing is... I do fail to remember it always starts with a dream... even to this day after years of watching the series. This episode was very good... I really enjoyed it as well. In this episode Allison learns that she has to realize there  will be some fantasy mixed in with her psychic dreams... and that she needs to learn to work out the differences.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

3. A Couple Of Choices
As Joe (Jake Weber) wonders how to plan a surprise party for his psychic wife, Allison is partnered with Detective Lee Scanlon (David Cubitt) in order to hunt down a serial killer targeting young newlyweds.

My Thoughts:
This episode introduces Detective Scanlon... a character I never cared much for. But seems to be a fairly popular character on the show... as he is on more episodes then he is not. This episode I found to be quite fun... besides the main crime story there is the fun of Joe (Allison's husband) trying to keep a birthday surprise secret from his psychic wife... and he really tries hard! Which was just really fun to watch. This marks the first disc done... and all 3 was very good... this is going to be a fun marathon!

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5
Pete

RossRoy

Re: Medium Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
 :thumbup:

I'll be following what you think of this series closely. I've had my eye on it for a while, but never could decide whether to buy or not.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
Oh... I highly recommend this series. It is one of my favorites. It is a good mixture of crime (solving cases) supernatural (psychic & ghosts) and a good family drama all rolled into one. The actors do a great job... most all the characters are likable... just a great series! So much so that I got my entire family hooked on the series as well.  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:23 PM »
I've seen episodes here and there and like it too. It's old fashioned in that it seems quite light and laid back. In these days of high powered dramatic angst, it's good to find something like that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
yeah... it is more of a laid back series. But if that worries you.. don't let it because it really works for the show.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
Season 1 Disc 2:

4. Night of the Wolf
Her dream of being chased by a wolf starts to make sense when Allison hears the witness to a murder give an inaccurate description to sketch artist. Daughter Bridget (Maria Lark) announces she has a new friend... a boy who died five years ago.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... even though a little on the basic side. Nothing really special happening. Just a good story.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

5. In Sickness And Adultery
Not only does Devalos want Allison to perjure herself on the witness stand, but a psychic warns her that there is trouble brewing in her marriage.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. This one really deals a lot with Allison's family life... in more ways then one. I also liked how well she handled herself while on the witness stand being questioned by an attorney that has a god feeling just who... or what... Allison really is.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

6. Coming Soon
Allison is positive that a solid citizen is actually a serial killer haunting her dreams. And she and husband Joe prepare for the fact that she might be pregnant.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode I really liked a lot. I thought the outcome was interesting... and also a bit unexpected as they never went where they did at the end of this one before.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

7. Jump Start
Allison is surprised when a girl who committed suicide by jumping off a cliff turns out to have been blackmailing and attorney... the same lawyer who tried to expose Allison's gift in court.

My Thoughts:
This is a good... but somewhat basic episode. Though I did enjoy the little side story of Allison meeting one of Joe's friends and seeing he is about to have a heart attack. So Joe tells him... telling him he is the one that is psychic to protect his wife.

My Rating:
Out of a possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
I've seen a lot of this one on television and I like it.  I have considered getting the DVD sets, but I haven't yet.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »
Season 1 Disc 3:

8. Lucky
Relieved that her brother Michael is safe and back from military service in Afghanistan, Allison wonders whether he can also communicate with the dead.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. In this one Allison has to visit a hospital... which she hates because of all the recently deceased that is there. I liked her brother on here... even if he is having a hard time in this episode you can tell he is a good person. They made that very clear and easy to understand in this episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

9. Coded
Joe and Allison are concerned that eldest daughter Ariel (Sofia Vassilieva) may have inherited her mother's gift. Her recurring dream of a young girl being held captive in a castle turns out to have a basis in fact.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one too... even though it is a bit on the basic side. They are really pushing the fact that the psychic abilities that Allison has does indeed run in the family. In this one Allison tries to pretend that she is getting the dreams that her daughter is so that she don't have to bring her into the office and put her through everything. Understandable... who wouldn't want to protect their child from such a thing?

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

10. The Other Side Of The Tracks
A professor specializing in paranormal phenomena tells Allison that her dream of two boys running toward railroad tracks happened to him and his late brother... a boy believed murdered, but who Allison thinks is still alive.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. Not one I would call great... but definitely enjoyable. Of course it is just another basic episode... nothing I can really think of special to talk about.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

11. I Married A Mind Reader
After becoming obsessed with a television show from the 1960s called "I married a Mind Reader," Allison imagines herself involved in the real-murder that occurred behind the scenes.

My Thoughts:
This one is played more for fun obviously... and it does have a decent story. But in my opinion this one just isn't as good as it should have been. Just was not up there in the same caliber of the other Medium episodes.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »
Season 1 Disc 4:

12. A Priest, A Doctor And A Medium Walk Into An Execution Chamber
Although they witnessed the execution of a convicted drug lord, Alllison and the police are shocked to discover his "ghost" may have murdered his girlfriend... a murder caught on camera.

My thoughts:
This is a very good episode. I really like the storyline. Definitely one of my favorites.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

13. Being Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
If she implicates a cocky airline pilot in his wife's murder, Allison is terrified that the plane he is scheduled to fly may crash.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... but not quite as good as the previous one. I liked how they put everything together on this one. And I have to admit I had to laugh at their daughter and the red bicycle helmet.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

14. In The Rough
When Joe's mother comes to visit, Allison is visited by the ghost of Joe's father. A murderer Scanlon and Devalos sent to prison years ago may go free if Allison reveals the truth about his case.

My Thoughts:
This is a decent episode... a little slow for my taste. But it was pretty cool to see some more of the family life with Joe's mother coming to visit.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

15. Penny For Your Thoughts
Allison does battle with an evil spirit from the past who takes over the minds of doctors. Meanwhile, Ariel's math teacher accuses her of cheating.

My Thoughts:
This is a great episode... one of my favorites actually. This is the first (of a few) episodes where Allison faces off against the evils spirit of the doctor that was killing patients in the early 1900's.  Very interesting episode that I enjoyed every second of!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
Season 1 Disc 5:

16. When Push Comes to Shove Part I
Captain Push, who Allison met in Texas, comes to Phoenix in order to help the police find a serial killer. But Allison is concerned when he has a health crisis and surprisingly appears in her dreams.

My Thoughts:
This is the last episode of the season... unfortunately the first season was a little on the short side. But Wow! What a season finale! We end the season as it starts when we get a visit from Captain Push of the Texas Rangers (from the pilot episode). And what makes it even better... and the reason I can not wait to start season 2 (thankfully on DVD I do not have to wait!) This episode ends in a cliffhanger.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Over-All Season 1 Thoughts:
This first season of Medium had me hooked right away. From the Pilot episode I knew this was going to be a series I would love for some time to come! I really like all the cast... especially the lovely Patricia Arquette. This is the series that made me a fan of hers. I really enjoy these DVDs... not only is all the episodes good (yes... some are better then others... but all are good!)... They did a great job giving us a load of extras! If you have never checked out this show... I definitely recommend getting this set as soon as possible!

Over-All Rating:
Out of a possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »

Medium: The Complete Second Season
In season 2 of the acclaimed drama, Emmy® Award winner* Patricia Arquette continues to give "the best, most honest and most captivating... performance by a woman in television" ('L.A. Weeklly'). Her visions get stronger as she works to solve crimes and protect the innocent.

With her unique gift, Allison DuBois can see the fuiture and converse with the dead. This season, her dreams send her on the trail of missing coeds, anti-terrorist agents and serial killers. But her ultimate challenge comes when she confronts an unexpecting force... the Angel of Death (Kelsey Grammer). She still sees what others can't. And her visions only get stronger with time.

Season 2 Disc 1

1. When Push Comes To Shove Part 2
With Captain Push in a coma, Allison is visited by the ghost of his father, who offers clues in the search for the serial killer. Joe sees a shrink in order to deal with his wife's job.

My Thoughts:
A great season opener... finishes up the last episode really nicely. I also liked the fact that the ending wasn't easily guessed. I seen this episode at least twice before... but it has been a while... and I forgot the ending. It took me a while to remember. I didn't remember till right before the reveal... which was cool for multiple viewings.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

2. The Song Remains The Same
A song that Allison literally cannot get out of her head leads her to search for a missing co-ed. And Allison and her daughter Bridget both have the same dream...about their plane crashing.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but not quite as good as the past couple. Of course that is understandable being the last couple was season closer and season opener.  The music in the beginning of the episode was a bit annoying to me... but I do think in this case it was meant to be annoying for the storyline. And the way her dreams/visions worked this time is a little on the strange side. But over all a pretty good episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

3. Time Out Of Mind
Her dream that she is a psychiatric patient from the 1950s becomes all too real when Allison views vintage film footage of a woman who calls herself...Allison DuBois.

My Thoughts:
This is a very interesting episode. I liked how they worked in the other psychic in this one. An entertaining episode... but not what I would call a favorite.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

4. Light Sleeper
While Allison's recent bout of sleepwalking may leave her tired and her bank account empty, it also provides valuable clues in a kidnapping case.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. Allison's sleepwalking gets rather dangerous as she not only wanders onto a busy freeway... but also decides to drive in her sleep. Enough to makeanyone nervous about sleepwalking.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
I probably won't be getting any episodes watched today... as my mother has a doctor's appointment for her Anemia and I have a nagging feeling she will need a transfusion today. If so I will be gone most all day today.

I need to buy me one of those portable DVD Players!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »
Talk about a total waste of time... We went all the way to her doc office... only to find out he wasn't there! They claim they called and left a message on the 4th that it was rescheduled... but we got no such message. So I am now back here... and we took my mother out in this cold for nothing. 
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »
Season 2 Disc 2

5. Sweet Dreams
A recurrent dream of her high-school friend who disappeared seems to be connected to the case Allison is working on with Detective Scanlon - the disappearance of a councilman's daughter.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but a pretty basic story. Nothing really here that sets itself above the rest. But definitely still enjoyable.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

6. Dead Aim
Not only is Allison dreaming about a massacre at the D.A.'s office, she comes to find out that a defendant's attorney is also using a psychic...and winning the case against her boss.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode that I enjoyed a bit more then the last one. I liked how they sorta had 2 psychics in the courtroom each messing around with their side of the case.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

7. Judge, Jury & Executioner
The D.A. is prosecuting a charismatic man who may have murdered his wife for her millions, but Allison can't discuss the case with Joe. He's serving on the jury!

My Thoughts:
This is a really good episode. I liked how they had Allison's husband as a juror in this episode... he just knew for sure he wouldn't be selected since his wife works for the district attorney. But he didn't count on her not actually working on this particular case so they could use him! And the family life side of this episode was really good too... showing how hard it was for them not to be able to talk about their day together. This one is just a really good episode all around.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

8. Too Close To Call
If the crime in Allison's dream actually occurs, it could have a disastrous effect on the outcome of Devalos's re-election bid. Meanwhile, Joe runs into an old girlfriend who needs his help.

My Thoughts:
This is another one of those good episodes... but really just a standard episode. I will say this much... I can understand Allison's anger in this one. Jealousy is a powerful emotion... but imagine how powerful it has to be if you are psychic... and meet your spouse's ex.... and then able to see the ex's thoughts... seeing your spouse and the ex having sex. That is enough to drive anyone a bit mad.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
Season 2 Disc 3

9. Still Life
When Allison looks at an artist's paintings, her visions regarding the death of a murder victim spring to life. The ghost of Joe's father appears to Allison with career advice for his son.

My Thoughts:
Even though a decent episode. One of my least favorites. I just personally didn't care about the storyline. I did like the fact that this one had John Shea (Lex Luthor on Lois and Clark) guest star in it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

10. The Reckoning
Ariel tells fortunes for fun at a slumber party, but gets scared when it looks like one of her friends may die. And a woman haunted by guilt is causing Allison to dream about a hit-and-run accident.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... I definitely enjoyed it. But for me I was more interested in the storyline with Ariel and her friends then I was the main mystery of the episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

11. Method To His Madness
Allison takes on certain characteristics of a psychotic murderer. But even after he dies, he stays in her head, frightening Joe and the girls.

My Thoughts:
Another one that didn't impress me a whole lot... but was ok. I mainly didn't like how they changed Alison's personality in this episode. Only 3 episodes on this disc and I wasn't too thrilled with either one of them. Not good.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete