Author Topic: November Alphabet Marathon - Discussion/Review Thread  (Read 50183 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: November Alphabet Marathon - Discussion/Review Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »
did not keep the war criminal Bush

I dare you to write this in a thread at that other place  :tease:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:08 PM »
And your reputation page will make you feel like you will be in this place  :laugh:

Just for the colour, not for the rest  :devil:

richierich

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
And your reputation page will make you feel like you will be in this place  :laugh:

Just for the colour, not for the rest  :devil:

Funnily enough I'll be in Amsterdam later in the week via Brussels and Maastricht, but I didn't intend visiting the old towns tourist attractions  :-[

richierich

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »

It's a shame but you are correct. A great nation such as USA deserves better than Bush. It's not whether the world likes the USA, it's about the USA belonging to the world. I sincerely hope whoever wins the next election halts this apparent xenophobic isolation, and starts working with other nations to improve everyones lot.

Damn - I bought up politics here  :(
I give myself a double  :redcard: :redcard:

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »
Hey, come on, Bush or no Bush (snigger) they're already trying. Didn't you see the NFL game in the UK last week?  :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »

It's a shame but you are correct. A great nation such as USA deserves better than Bush. It's not whether the world likes the USA, it's about the USA belonging to the world. I sincerely hope whoever wins the next election halts this apparent xenophobic isolation, and starts working with other nations to improve everyones lot.

Damn - I bought up politics here  :(
I give myself a double  :redcard: :redcard:

And I gave you a point!

richierich

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
5th November

New World

Legendary director Terrence Malick takes you on an adventure-filled, romantic journey of discovery with this critically acclaimed, OscarĀ®-nominated* epic set in the turbulent first days of the new America.

Based on the true story, this sweeping saga tells the tale of Pocahontas, the impetuous Native American beauty (Q'orianka Kilcher) whose relationship with Captain John Smith (Colin Farrell) sets off a battle for a new nation. Also starring Christopher Plummer and Christian Bale, this unforgettable film is "magnificent and epic." -David Ansen, 'Newsweek'

I really wanted to enjoy this film,  the production, acting, tempo and script were first rate, but I just found the romantic love story rather boring. It was a bit like watching artwork with movement, very little dialogue, and hushed narration, beautiful viewing but without grabbing me.
Special mention for the sound, through my 5:1 system the ambience of wind through the trees, insects buzzing, water flowing etc was perfect.
However overall I have to give it a
 :yawn:

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
I've never got round to watching this. Just for interests of context, Rich, what do you think of Malick's other films? I thought Badlands was fantastic in some respects but the characters annoyed the heck out of me. Haven't seen Days of Heaven, but I loved Thin Red Line.

richierich

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 12:07:43 AM »
In context Jon, I loved Thin Red Line, despite one of my least favourite actors (Sean Penn) being in it.
Badlands I enjoyed but wouldn't rave over, I thought the leads were excellent in the film, and the quality of production and how it is beautifully shot is reminiscent of New World.
The only other films I have seen of Malicks is when he is a producer.

richierich

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »
7/11

Get Smart

Steve Carell is in control as Maxwell Smart, the novice agent often out of his depth but never out of options in this action comedy pitting him against the nuclear scheme of the evil spy group KAOS. Anne Hathaway partners with Max as ever capable Agent 99. And Director Peter Segal ('The Longest Yard') guides his stars (including Dwayne Johnson and Alan Arkin) through the dangerous realm of molar radios, multifunction pocketknives, exploding dental floss and more. "'Get Smart' works as an action film and its funny" (Richard Roeper, 'At The Movies With Ebert & Roeper').

I was a fan of the original series, if memory serves correctly it was shown many years ago on BBC2 soon after school finished, and it was great that so many of the immortal Maxwell quotes sneaked into the film. There is more than a touch of Austin Powers in the film, and Steve Carell is fitting in the bumbling geeky nerd role that he masterpieced on 40 year old virgin.
A comedy with too few laughs, and an action spoof with too few dramatic effects, however reasonable viewing if you park your brain for a couple of hours.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 12:23:43 AM »
8/11

Underworld - Evolution

The saga continues as the battle rages on between the aristocratic Death Dealers (vampires) and the barbaric Lycans (werewolves). This film traces the beginning of the ancient feud between the two tribes as the beautiful vampire heroine Selene (Kate Beckinsale) discovers that she has been betrayed by her own kind and must seek revenge. The fast-paced, modern-day tale of deadly action, ruthless intrigue and forbidden love takes her into the battle to end all wars as the immortals must finally face their retribution.

mmmmmmm Kate Beckinsale in leather and getting her kit off a few times, how can you go wrong?  :P
Very much similar to the first film, this mixes gory violence, stunning effects, gothic sex, with a pulsating pace that at times becomes confusing with bizarly complicated fight scenes and unfathomable storyline.
Saying this it is very watchable and makes a lot more sense by the end of the film, all in all a comfortable  ;D

richierich

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »
9/11

Victoria Cross Heroes

"The most democratic and at the same time the most exclusive all orders of chivalry - the most enviable order of the Victoria Cross."

Edward VIII (when Prince of Wales)

Seventy years after that statement, Edward's great nephew, HRH Prince Charles, introduces the definitive history and a landmark series to commemorate and celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Victoria Cross. It pays fitting tribute to the men who have been awarded the highest medal for gallantry. As President of the VC and GC Association and with the Royal Family's long connection with Britain's armed forces, the Prince believes the medal has a particular resonance and significance.

It was important for me to watch such a programme on Remembrance Sunday, and it is humbling to hear of such brave men and women who have shown such valour in their countries service. In truth the dvd was exceptionally long and at times rather boring, the re-enactments were 'budget' at best, and it stuttered between various storylines. It would have made a much better 60 or 90 minute feature.

:-\

richierich

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
10/11

Felon

A loving family man with a promising future, Wade Porter (Stephen Dorff) suddenly loses everything when he accidentally kills the burgler who broke into his home. Convicted of involuntary manslaughter, Wade is sentenced to spend the next three years inside a maximum security facility where the rules of society no longer apply. Forced to share a cell with a notorious mass murderer (Val Kilmer) and subjected to brutal beatings orchestrated by the sadistic head prison guard (Harold Perrineau), Wade soon realizes he's in for the fight of his life and must become the toughest FELON of them all if he's to survive the block. For what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. And in state prison, only the strongest will survive.

Uninspiring and over-done storyline, innocent guy protects family, ends up in rough tough jail, meets mad killer who turns out to be great guy etc etc.
However, they have done it very well here and turned out a respectable movie. 2 of my least favourite actors shine here, Dorff is excellent as the average Joe suddenly finding himself banged up, and Kilmer in particular is very convincing as the sadistic killer that other inmates fear.
The violence portrayed is harsh and graphic, it suits the films content but may not be to everyones taste.
As an aside, is it just me or has the violent content in many American films lately turned up a notch and is more sadistic and unpleasant to view? Perhaps it may just be me getting older  :shrug:

I would happily recommend this film with an  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:30:13 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »
11/11

He was a quiet man

'Christian Slater' delivers what critics are calling the performance of his career as Bob Maconel, a bullied office drone with hate in his heart, voices in his head, and a loaded gun in his desk drawer. When a bizarre twist turns into an instant hero, Bob begins a tender relationship with a disbale co worker(an equally powerful performance by 'Elisha Cuthbert') who asks Bob for the ultimate favor. Can two damaged souls ever learn to lvie again or is the brink of madness still just a shot away? OscarĀ® nominee 'William H. Macy' co-stars in this acclaimed cross between 'OFFICE SPACE' and 'TAXI DRIVER'

It's a shame that such a potentially great film falls foul by twisting it into a love story. Slater is excellent in the lead role (why does he normally appear in such crap straight to DVD films???), and the cast in general turn out top performances. However it strays so far from any realism, and the humour too often misses the mark, to make this a film worth recommending.
It could have been so much better!!
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
12/11

Deception

Hardworking accountant, Jonathan (Ewan McGregor), is interrupted one evening by lawyer, Wyatt (Hugh Jackman) and the pair embark on a friendship leading Jonathan to be introduced to a mysterious club known as The List. However, in this exciting new world, he soon finds himself as the prime suspect in a woman's disappearance and a multi-million dollar heist.

Twisting and turning through the storyline, a slickly produced and memorable thriller with 3 top performances from the leads. The ending I found slightly disappointing, I'll say no more in case anyone else is due to purchase/view this title. Beside this though I would highly recommend the dvd for purchase  ;D