Author Topic: Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread  (Read 34130 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »
I don't know if I'll finish this month; I've finished 12 :bag: Has anyone seen Scarface? I had heard it was fantastic but...I only rated it a 7/10. I haven't watched any of the extra features yet thought; I want to try and get more movies in instead.

...Raging Bull! Cinema at its finest is an experience rather than just a film or just a story. And this film is certainly that; profound and brilliant. Some of the fight scenes are astonishingly powerful for it.

I've been hooked on boxing since Cassius Clay (Mohammed Ali) won the gold medal in the Rome Olympics. Raging Bull is absolutely brilliant - powerful, realistic, and moving. The dialogue might be a bit difficult but that makes the film that more true to life. I really loved this movie! Hmmm, I wonder if I watched "R" for this month...if not, I know what I'm going to watch for my "L" in November!

richierich

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
I don't know if I'll finish this month; I've finished 12 :bag: Has anyone seen Scarface? I had heard it was fantastic but...I only rated it a 7/10. I haven't watched any of the extra features yet thought; I want to try and get more movies in instead.

Scarface is a 10/10 for me

Has always been one of my favourite films since I originally saw it. Maybe it's a boy thing, cos my lad (14) watched it for the first time this year and absolutely loved it as well.

Rich

Najemikon

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
I loved Scarface too, but I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed. That's likely because of its mythic status, which is tough to live up to. When I see it again I'm sure it will have a deeper effect.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »
I loved Scarface too, but I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed. That's likely because of its mythic status, which is tough to live up to. When I see it again I'm sure it will have a deeper effect.

You might have a point. I had heard sooo much that I expected a lot. I just hate that, with all that ammunition flying, it took forever to get Tony. I mean really...how can everybody be such a lousy shot?!?

Najemikon

« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:54 AM »
You might have a point. I had heard sooo much that I expected a lot. I just hate that, with all that ammunition flying, it took forever to get Tony. I mean really...how can everybody be such a lousy shot?!?

Ah well, I did like that particularly famous scene for that reason. I saw it as kind of a metaphor for his character; so full of himself, he doesn't even know when to lie down and just die when he's already dead! His ego kept him standing.

Halo2

« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2007, 05:37:44 AM »
 :tomato: You can brand me a heathen, but I don't care for Scarface. I saw it in the theater when it was released, I watched it again about 5 years later on HBO and I watched it on video about 3 years after that. It doesn't do a thing for me. The language and violence don't bother me, I have movies with as much or more of both in them. I have watched all three of the Godfather movies and, while I enjoyed them, I do not have them in my collection. I guess the overt connection to the mob is the main reason. And before you go through my collection to refute me, yes I have movies with "mob" connections. Oceans 11 and 12 (my wife likes George Clooney), Oceans Eleven (the original), The Mechanic (I like Charles Bronson, but not everything he's done. I don't plan on getting 'The Velachi Papers'.), Charlie Varrick, a lot of Steven Seagals movie (we both like him) and many others will have a "mob" connection. I'm sure there are a lot more that I have but don't associate with the mob, it's not in your face. But, having lived in upstate New York (Utica/Rome area, one has to wonder why they have the lowest crime rate in the nation.) and San Francisco and seeing members up close and in action, they have never impressed me. While in New York, my wife wanted to open a business. "Rocky",  who ran a Baskin Robins in the mall where she was employeed, came up with a lot of offers from "associates" who would "lease" her the front of a building for free. We declined all of them, guess we will never know for sure. I guess that has carried over into my impression of mob films. :2cents:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:40:33 AM by Halo2 »

RossRoy

« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2007, 03:37:11 AM »
Nooooo! Can't believe they did that!

So, I was getting ready to watch the next movie in line for this marathon, Jeux d'Enfants, or, as it is called on the DVD cover, Love me if you dare. Nothing special there, it's not unheard of for French movie from France to be released here under their english title, because the releasing company is American.

So anyway, I put the disc in, let the previews roll and half watch them while I'm on the net reading up a little about the movie, as I always do. Comes the menu, I hit start movie. Opening scene, long shot of construction work with decent sound effects (nothing spectacular though). And then the first spoken words.. WITH BURNT-IN ENGLISH SUBTITLES!! Now I don't mind subtitles, but, hum.. I speak French. The soundtrack is in French. Why the heck would I need subtitles? English ones at that!

So anyway, long story short, I'm changing my J movie (I just can't bear the subtitles, I'll hunt down a better copy of the movie, if possible). Still haven't decided which yet though. Seeing as I've watched Zathura in this marathon, I though why not watch Jumanji also? So Jumanji it is!

And I've already ordered a FRENCH copy of Jeux d'Enfants (along with a few other movies I shouldn't have ordered.. oh well!  ::))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:29:04 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »
I am finally done with the October Alphabet Marathon. :yahoo:

Giving it serious thought if I should start counting everything I see beginning tomorrow to the November run, in order to compensate for the 5 days that I'll be out of the country towards the end of the months. :hmmmm:

richierich

« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2007, 10:38:48 PM »

Giving it serious thought if I should start counting everything I see beginning tomorrow to the November run, in order to compensate for the 5 days that I'll be out of the country towards the end of the months. :hmmmm:

Firstly congratulations, medal is in the post  ;)

Secondly, that will be breaking the rules!! ::) ::) I checked on the US Copyright Office and it definately says you cannot start the November reverse alphabet marathon until November 1st  ::) ::)

PS if you are still visiting Invelos forums, you'll understand this  :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »
Secondly, that will be breaking the rules!! ::) ::) I checked on the US Copyright Office and it definately says you cannot start the November reverse alphabet marathon until November 1st  ::) ::)

What the heck were you looking at? The entry I see here clearly says you can start early, especially in the case where you know in advance you will be losing a few days anyway ::) ::)

:P

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »

Firstly congratulations, medal is in the post  ;)Secondly, that will be breaking the rules!!

WOW...I can't believe you finished already!  :clap: Of course you should start the November marathon.

Rich...I thought there were rules about not having rules on this forum.  :redcard:

Does anyone know what that beach ball shape icon "insert flash" does?

Najemikon

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2007, 11:03:52 PM »
It does this:  :laugh:

<a href="http://www.jonmeakin.com/exorcist_bunnies.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.jonmeakin.com/exorcist_bunnies.swf</a>

RossRoy

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
Does anyone know what that beach ball shape icon "insert flash" does?
You mean this?

<a href="http://www.magicarchive.com/the_ringbunsAA.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.magicarchive.com/the_ringbunsAA.swf</a>

Damn! Jon beat me to it!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:07:32 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »
But you chose bunnies too!!! :hysterical:

Now Kathy will think Flash animations are for bunnies only!

RossRoy

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
But you chose bunnies too!!! :hysterical:

Now Kathy will think Flash animations are for bunnies only!

Isn't it just for bunnies?  :hysterical: