Author Topic: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 136118 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2007, 02:01:10 PM »

Title: The Amityville Horror (Remake)
Movie Count: 75
TV Ep Count: 26
Time Started: 6:45am
Plot:
From Michael Bay, the producer of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', comes the true story of Amityville. In November 1974, a family of six was brutally murdered. Now, a year later, an unsuspecting young couple, George (Ryan Reynolds, 'Blade: Trinity', 'The In-Laws') and Kathy Lutz (Melissa George, TV's "Alias"), and their children move into the house that was the site of the horrific event and is now haunted by a murderous presence. What follows is 28 days of unimaginable terror. With demonic visions of the dead and relentless screams of terror, this is the haunted house story that isn't just a movie - it's real.

My Thoughts:
When I first heard that they were remaking "The Amityville Horror" I was rather worried that they would not do the original justice... or that they would make the same mistake they made with the "Psycho" remake.. and make it a carbon copy of the original just changing the actors. But this remake... I must admit... was done in the right way... kept enough the same to pay homage to the original... but changed enough to make it it's own movie.

For the most part I do not like to compare a remake to the original... as I like to judge every movie on it's own as a stand alone movie. But this is hard sometimes... especially when I enjoy the original movie as much as I do "The Amityville Horror." In this case though... I really enjoyed this remake... possibly as much as I liked the original. I think they did a wonderful job with it... and I really enjoy the actors that took over... I am a fan of both Melissa George and Ryan Reynolds. This is one remake that is definitely worth giving a chance... I don't think you will be sorry.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
To be honest... I know very little about the history of the film or area. but if I remember correctly... wasn't The Amityville horror based on a story thought to be true... then later debunked? I am not 100% sure... but it is based where it supposedly happened... if I am not mistaken somewhere in/around New Jersey? but take this all as pure speculation/rumor as I am basing it all on my foggy memory of what I read years ago.

Yeah, that's as much as I know. I suppose it's mere coincidence that the films are only two years apart. Maybe they thought calling it Amityville would trigger a subconscious link with Jaws? In that, the Police Chief and his family have moved from New York and his wife teases him about how he should now pronounce things, being in Amity. So it's certainly the right neighbourhood.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 02:35:23 PM by Najemikon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »
I asked my brother about it... he is older so remembers more then I do... but he said it was actually in New York.... not New Jersey... he and a friend of his took a road trip to check out the actual house (from the outside only) that was supposedly haunted at the time.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »

Title: The Amityville Horror II: The Possession
Movie Count: 76
Time Started: 11am
Plot:
Before the residence at 112 Ocean Avenue became infamous in 'The Amityville Horror', its supernatural legacy of terror had already begun. Inspired by a true story, this chilling prequel is a bloodcurdling, special effects-laden encounter with all-powerful, all-consuming evil.

Although the Montellis are not exactly the "perfect family," at least they've found the perfect home. And even though a liquid that looks like blood gushes from the kitchen faucet and every window has been nailed shut, it still qualifies as their dream house - until all hell breaks loose! A local priest tries to rid the house of unclean spirits, but what he doesn't yet suspect is that teenage son Sonny Montelli has been possessed, body and soul, by a murderous demon bent on total destruction.

My Thoughts:
This one is a pretty good prequel. Not the best I have ever seen... but definitely worth the time put into it. Sure there was a scene or two that I didn't care for in this one... but overall was a good, strong prequel. I particularly didn't like the incest scene between the brother and sister. Maybe I am a bit of a prude when it comes to something like incest/abuse... but I think the movie could have been just as strong without the incest scene and early flirtations between the brother and sister. The only extras on this dvd is the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
To be honest... I know very little about the history of the film or area. but if I remember correctly... wasn't The Amityville horror based on a story thought to be true... then later debunked? I am not 100% sure... but it is based where it supposedly happened... if I am not mistaken somewhere in/around New Jersey? but take this all as pure speculation/rumor as I am basing it all on my foggy memory of what I read years ago.
I saw something on TV about this once (National Geographic...?) and according to that your memory is correct.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
Thanks Achim :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »

Title: Amityville 3-D
Movie Count: 77
Time Started: 1pm (10/27 - Not sure how I missed posting yesterday!)
Plot:
The home of unspeakable evil is back to tormet all who cross its threshold, as Dino De Laurentiis and legendary director Richard Fleischer ('Soylent Green') present "a horror picture of considerable class and polish" ('Los Angeles Times')! Packed with bone-chilling special effects, this third rendezvous with terror in Amityville stars Tony Roberts, Tess Harper, Robert Joy, Candy Clark and Meg Ryan.

To debunk the Amityville house's infamous reputation and take advantage of a rock-bottom asking price, skeptical journalist John Baxter (Roberts) buys the place and settles in to write his first novel. But as soon as the ink on the deed has dried, people who have come into contact with him - and the house - begin to meet with a shocking fate. Is it coincidence...or is this house 'really' the gateway to hell?

My Thoughts:
Another decent "Amityville" installment. At this point the movies are still good. Definitely worth watching. Not only do you have a young Meg Ryan in this movie... but you also have a young Lori Loughlin (Becky on Full House).
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »

Title: The Exorcist: The Version You Never Seen
Movie Count: 78
Time Started: 6:30am
Plot:
Brace yourself as one of the all-time spellbinders possesses you all over again. Director William Friedkin and producer/screenwriter William Peter Blatty have revisited 'The Exorcist' to integrate 11 minutes of scenes and images deleted before the film's 1973 release and digitally restore the picture and audio elements. The result is an experience more gripping than ever.

Now seen are moments deepening the impact of the performances by Linda Blair, Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max von Sydow and Lee J. Cobb. They include a "nervous disorder" diagnosis, expansion of Father Merrin's arrival before the ritual, priestly doubts during the ritual, an epilogue with Lt. Kinderman and Father Dyer and most notably, a shattering staircase descent by Regan. Winner of Oscars® for Best Adapted Screenplay (by Blatty) and Sound, 'The Exorcist' astonishes time and again like no other movie.

My Thoughts:
I realized I have not watched any of the Exorcist movies in a very long time... and this version of "The Exorcist" I think I have only seen one time... ever. "The Exorcist" is such a well known movie not sure what to say here for it other then the fact that I enjoy it... a great horror movie. One that my wife and I used to watch all the time when she was alive... even though it scared the crap out of her. And weird... back in our day this was considered one of the scariest movies made... well a few years ago... my niece asked me to show her a movie that would scare her... so I pulled out "The Exorcist" and what reaction do I get from her... she laughed through the whole thing! Just how demented are kids now a day!?!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »

Title: The Exorcist III
Movie Count: 79
Time Started: 10am
Plot:
A woman crawls by unnoticed - on the ceiling lika a fly. A long-dead killer claims victim after victim. Flames erupt, snakes slither, the ground opens and reveals a writhing pit of the damned. The evil is back.

Also back is the creative force whose novel and Oscar® -winning screenplay shaped the trailblazing 'The Exorcist'. Adapting his novel 'Legion', William Peter Blatty writes and directs 'The Exorcist III', a jolting foray into terror that begins where the first film ended. George C. Scott plays police Lt. Kinderman, investigating mysterious murders. Kinderman doesn't believe in demons and possession. Not yet. Jason Miller reprises his priestly role from the original. And look for Samuel L. Jackson, pro basketball's Patrick Ewing and more bit-role surprises.

My Thoughts:
OK... First thing... you may notice I did not watch Exorcist 2... I will not watch Exorcist 2.... I do not own Exorcist 2.... As far as I am concerned Exorcist 2 does not exist!

OK... with that out of the way.... This one is a good sequel... basically takes over where "The Exorcist" left off. This movie has a scene that I always found to be a bit on the creepy side... the scene where the little old lady crawls around the ceiling with that crazed look on her face. But not all the scenes that were meant to be creepy worked for me. One scene in particular that I can think of that just didn't work for me was the headless statue following behind the nurse with arms stretched out as if to catch her. But over-all the sequel worked well for me. Though is not one I find myself recommending to others much... as it seems this one is not to everyone's taste.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2007, 06:20:50 PM »

OK... First thing... you may notice I did not watch Exorcist 2... I will not watch Exorcist 2.... I do not own Exorcist 2.... As far as I am concerned Exorcist 2 does not exist!

You probably mentioned this before but...why? Was so bad that you're trying to erase it from your memory?  :voodoo:

Are there any other horror movies that you wish were figments of your imagination?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »
LOL... yes Kathy it was THAT bad! There is a handful that is that bad... but just off the top of my head...
- Bloodsucking Freaks
- Legion of the Dead

I am sure there is more... but that is all I can think of at the moment.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2007, 08:55:59 PM »

Title: Exorcist: The Beginning
Movie Count: 80
Time Started: 1:30pm
Plot:
Having abandoned his faith in God, Father Merrin (Stellan Skarsgård) joins a British archaeological excavation in Kenya, where an inexplicably pristine Christian Byzantine church has been unearthed - looking as if it had been buried on the day it was completed. But beneath the church, something much older sleeps, waiting to be awoken. As madness swiftly descends upon the villagers and British soldiers, Merrin watches helplessly as atrocities are committed against an innocent village - atrocities he had seen before and prayed never to see again. The blood of innocents flows freely on the East African plain, and the horror has only just begun. In the place where Evil was born, Merrin will finally see its true face.

My Thoughts:
I have never seen this movie until today. I been putting it off till I could get it real cheap as I have heard over and over that it sucks... but this is just one of those movies I felt the need to find out for myself. This month's huge horror sale at amazon gave me the opportunity to finally find out for myself. Of course with all I have heard about this movie I definitely went into this one with very low expectations.

Well... This one I would say is a mediocre movie at best... It is an extremely slow movie which I hate... but has it's moments. It picked up rather well towards the end. but it is not enough to save the movie in my opinion. Will I ever watch this movie again... yes... sure I will... but only when I decide to have an Exorcist/Exorcism Marathon. It is not one I will watch all that often.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2007, 11:13:14 PM »
Have you seen Dominion, Pete? I haven't seen The Beginning, but apparently the main difference is that Renny Harlin added loads of CGI nonsense? Dominion at least sticks to a straightforward story. It's just overall weak.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2007, 12:56:17 AM »
nope... haven't seen Dominion. I imagine that if it is the same basic story it will still be a bit on the slow side for my taste.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »

Title: Supernatural: Croatoan
TV Ep Count: 27
Time Started: 4:30pm
Plot:
Sam has a vision of Dean shooting a defenseless man, and they go to the town of River Grove, where they find the townspeople have been possessed by a virus that makes them violent.

My Thoughts:
This was a great episode.... had a real "Last Man on Earth" type feel to it. a great stand alone episode... and so close to finding out what their father told Dean in the first episode of the season... of course they left that as a cliffhanger for  the next episode. Which I will have to watch right away... ad I forget what he told him now... and I have to know!

Title: Supernatural: Hunted
TV Ep Count: 28
Time Started: 5:30pm
Plot:
Sam meets a woman who shares his ability to have visions, and she warns him that she has seen the future... where he dies in an explosion.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. After finding out what their father said... Sam takes off on his own to try to get to the bottom of things. And we have a return visit from the other hunter that was a bit nuts.... going crazy on the vampires. This time he is hunting Sam!... as he found out about Sam's visions... and the plans the yellow eyed demon has for the psychics and figures him to be part demon... so thinks he must die!

Title: Supernatural: Playthings
TV Ep Count: 29
Time Started: 6:30pm
Plot:
Sam and Dean investigate an Connecticut inn run by a single mother where mysterious deaths are taking place. They find evidence of Hoodoo, and try to figure out who is causing the chaos.

My Thoughts:
And yet another really good episode. This one had one of my favorite subjects... about a haunted Inn. And I like most all stories that involve hauntings.
Pete