Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: From TV Series to Movie  (Read 12934 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: From TV Series to Movie
« on: September 15, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
From TV Series to Movie
This weekend I decided to watch some movies where the original idea was from a TV Series... whether it is a movie remake of the series itself... or a continuation of a series... like a reunion special movie... it is all fair game this weekend... So I ended up watching...

Knight Rider 2000
On the edge of loosing a local government contract, the Foundation and Devon recall Michael from retirement to oversee the completion of the Knight 4000. In a town where handguns are outlawed, crime has become rampant, and the current system of freezing convicts is not working. Michael returns on one condition, to reunited with his friend KITT. Sadly, KITT has been dismantled by KITT has been dismantled and the parts sold by Russell Maddock the new head of the Foundation. Devon manages to recover all but one chip which has been implanted in the head of Shawn McCormick, a female cop whose brain was destroyed by a bullet. He and Shawn, who has a chip on her shoulder as well as in her head, are teamed to stop the current handgun situation where they discover the hidden secrets of the local police department and restore KITT into a new vehicle.

My Thoughts:
This is a reunion movie that was hoped to become a whole new series... which unfortunately never happened. This reunion movie was a bonus feature of the Knight Rider: Season 1 boxset (which is why I used screen cap instead of cover above). I have heard a lot of people say they did not like this movie at all... I did though. I thought it was a good movie... though I do miss seeing the original K.I.T.T. From what I understand... this was supposed to serve as a pilot to s new spin-off series... unfortunately this never happened.  I know I would have liked to seen it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 11:17:44 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Weekend Movie MArathon: From TV Series to Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
Your cover doesn't work, I only see the furtune city replacement logo.

To be honest, I liked that movie. The new KITT bodywork looked nice to me and I was very sad, when Devon was killed.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
btw, that's me and my car, a 1997 Ford Probe (unfortunatley, front plates are madatory in Germany)

and another btw: a guy I know from a german DVD website ( www.areadvd.de ) is currently building his own KITT:
http://www.mykitt.de/index.php?lang=eng
http://www.mykitt.de/downloads_start.php?id=6
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:57:22 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »
Thanks... will fix that here shortly... yeah... the new car was definitely cool. I also hated seeing Devon die. I am thinking it was because they wanted to do a new series off of it... and for one reason or another they couldn't get him for the new series. I was actually surprised when a few people I know here said they didn't like Knight Rider 2000!

BTW... nice car :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 04:05:27 PM »

Charlie's Angels: Special Edition
Adventure has never been more beautiful than CHARLIE'S ANGELS! Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu star as the captivating crime-fighting trio who are masters of disguise, espionage and martial arts. When a devious mastermind embroils them in a plot to destroy individual privacy, the Angels are on the spot with their brains, brawn and high-tech toys. Aided by their loyal sidekick Bosley (Bill Murray), the girls are about to bring down the bad guys when a terrible secret is revealed that makes the Angels a target of assassination. Now, it's a matter of life or death as the stunningly smart detectives use their state-of-the-art skills to kick evil's butt in this sexy, high-octane comedy!

My Thoughts:
Once again this is a movie that several people I personally know didn't like... but I, myself... I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Granted other then some very cool fighting scenes... there is nothing of real substance here.... it is just a cool, action packed, fun movie with some sexy women. Pretty much what the series was... a basic guilty pleasure if there ever was one. I really liked who they got in all the roles. And it looks like they had a blast doing the picture. In my opinion... this isn't meant in any way to be a thought provoking movie... just a good clean fun popcorn movie. And for me at least... it pulled it off well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »

S.W.A.T.
Two wisecracking, battle-hardened veterans (Samuel L. Jackson and Colin Farrell) team up with a pair of street-smart rookies (Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J) to for the most freewheeling - but effective - S.W.A.T. team ever. Their first assignment: transport an international drug kingpin into federal custody - after he's offered $100 million to anyone who will free him!

My Thoughts:
To be honest... it hasn't been all that long ago that I originally found out this was a TV Series first. When I saw the season 1 set at an online store. This is a really good movie make of the old series... I enjoyed every minute of it! Lots of acton.... several big named stars. If you haven't seen this one yet... I would recommend checking it out!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: From TV Series to Movie
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »

X-Files: Fight the Future
Thirty-seven thousand years ago, a deadly secret was buried in a cave in Texas. Now the secret has been unleashed. And its discovery may mean the end of all humanity. "The plague to end all plagues..."

When a terrorist bomb destroys a building in Dallas, Texas, FBI Agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy surpassing anything they've ever encountered. With the dubious assistance of a paranoid doctor (Academy Award®-winner Martin Landau), Mulder and Scully risk their careers and their lives to hunt down a deadly virus which may be extraterrestrial in origin - and could destroy all life on earth. Their pursuit of the truth pits them against the mysterious Syndicate, powerful men who will stop at nothing to keep their secrets safe, leading the agents from a cave in Texas, to the halls of the FBI, and finally to a secret installation in Antarctica which holds the greatest secrets of all.

My Thoughts:
A great movie for an awesome TV Series! I have been a fan of the TV series since my brother first got me into it around the 5th season. Then I played catch-up with the dvds when they were first released... Back then the first season retailed for $150.00 and I bought them for $100 per season... Now ... looking back and seeing what season sets cost now it makes me sick... but I enjoyed the series so much that it is really ok! When this movie was released I got my copy right away... and think they did a great job with it... because not only would any X-Files fan love it... it was set up that you didn't have to watch the series to enjoy the movie... so I am sure the series got new fans because of the movie. After watching this movie... I have the urge to watch an X-Files marathon... but 9 seasons of such a show... that just sounds like too much at the moment!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
Especially as you reach 8 and 9 it's like swimming through treacle! I've been halfway through 9 for a couple of years and just can't be bothered to finish it. I think the show lacked a great deal of substance without Mulder and Scully's dynamic. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 03:19:14 PM »
yeah... believe me... I understand that... but you should try to finish it... I really enjoyed the last episode... and Mulder is back for that one!  ;)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »

Serenity
A passenger with a deadly secret. Six rebels on the run. An assassin in pursuit. When the renegade crew of 'Serenity' agrees to hide a fugitive on their ship, they find themselves in an action-packed battle between the relentless military might of a totalitarian regime who will destroy anything - or anyone - to get the girl back and the bloodthirsty creatures who roam the uncharted areas of space. But the greatest danger of all may be on their ship. From the mind of Joss Whedon (TV's 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', 'Angel') comes a new edge-of-your-seat adventure loaded with explosive battles, gripping special effects and fantastic new worlds!

My Thoughts:
This is.. of course... the movie from the TV Series Firefly. I think they did an excellent job on a movie for a series that was canceled well before it's rightful time. I loved the scene where they saw just what River is capable of. She kicked some serious butt in that bar! And once again... this movie was made so that if you never seen the series... you still can enjoy the movie with no problem what so ever. If you never seen this one... I definitely recommend it!
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »
My Thoughts:
This is.. of course... the movie from the TV Series Firefly. I think they did an excellent job on a movie for a series that was canceled well before it's rightful time. I loved the scene where they saw just what River is capable of. She kicked some serious butt in that bar! And once again... this movie was made so that if you never seen the series... you still can enjoy the movie with no problem what so ever. If you never seen this one... I definitely recommend it!

Wholeheartedly agree. In fact, I just watched it yesterday, and it is a great movie.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »

The Incredible Hulk Returns
The Incredible Hulk is back...But is he any match for the Mighty Thor?
It's been two years since his last transformation, and Dr. David Banner (Bill Bixby) has developed a new Gamma Transponder that he hopes will cure him of his inner monster forever. But when a former colleague unearths the frozen tomb of an ancient Norse warrior king, the Mighty Thor (Eric Allan Kramer) is unleashed upon 20th Century society. Can the Hulk (Lou Ferrigno) end the rampage of this mead-crazed barbarian, or will the two raging beasts become allies to save both the Transponder and the woman Banner loves?

Six years after their hit series ended, Bixby, Ferrigno and Jack Colvin (as nosy reporter Jack McGee) returned for this top-rated television movie. Tim Thomerson, Charles Napier, Lee Purcell and Steve Levitt co-star in this action-packed fan favorite that Stomp Tokyo calls "quite possibly the best thing to come out of the series!"

My Thoughts:
Another show I always enjoyed in my younger years. This one was a great reunion movie. In it The Incredible Hulk teams up with The Mighty Thor. This made it twice the fun for me... as I used to watch the Thor cartoons when I was a kid as well. This reunion movie always felt like it should have also served as a pilot for a series for The Mighty Thor! I know I would have loved it as they made both the characters likable as well as interesting... I think it could have been a lot of fun!

Well... this brings another Weekend Movie Marathon to an end. Another marathon that I really enjoyed every minute of. As usual... would love to hear comments/opinions on any/all of the above.. whether you agree with me or not... we may not agree... but I would always respect other people's opinion!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »

Serenity

Pete,
Would you recommend seeing Firefly or Serenity first? I feel a marathon coming on and you made these seem interesting. :tv:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 11:21:24 PM »
due to how the movie plays out... I would definitely say the series first.... enjoy! :)
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 03:01:30 AM »
due to how the movie plays out... I would definitely say the series first.... enjoy! :)

Yep. Series first. Makes you enjoy the movie that much more with some of the subtle things going on in the movie.

The movie is good on its own, but it's a bit loaded if you have no seen the series first.