Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires  (Read 9338 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« on: September 08, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Vampires
As most know... I am a huge horror movie fan... I have loved all types of horror movies every since I was a kid. And every since I was a little kid my favorite horror sub-genre has been Vampire Movies. I think what it is I like about Vampire movies is the fact that they normally look human. It is like... it is an evil from within. I think I also like how romanticized the vampire is... they make the hunt and the kill that vampires do almost sexual. Every female vampire is seemed to be made sexually attractive at the same time as being frightening. Then there is the fact that in most vampire movies once you become a victim of a vampire... you then become one yourself. Anyway... to stop from rambling on any further... let me just say... this weekend I ended up watching...

Salem's Lot
With 'Salem’s Lot', a blood-curdling shocker based on the novel by Stephen King, director Tobe Hooper ('Poltergeist') sends the time-honored vampire legend soaring on bat wings into the modern era.

Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house, a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac and the dealer’s mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder).
The solid supporting cast of vampire victims and fighters includes Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, Elisha Cook, Ed Flanders, George Dzundza, Lance Kerwin, Geoffrey Lewis and Marie Windsor.
It’s hard to keep the undead down. And so easy to be scared in 'Salem’s Lot'.

My Thoughts:
This one is actually an old TV Miniseries... clocking in at a long 3hrs. and 3mins... from way back in 1979. I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is almost 30 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him is.
   2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both  a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »

Dracula: Dead and Loving It
Mel Brooks, the unhinged movie parodist whose 'Blazing Saddles' sent us Westward ho-ho-ho and whose 'Young Frankenstein' electrified with mad-scientist nuts and jolts, now stokes the Bram Stoker vein with the comedy transfusion: 'Dracula Dead and Loving It'. Leslie Nielsen plays the title role, and what's not to love?

His Count is a pratfalling evil prince of a guy who believes in long relationships. Brooks portrays vampire hunter Van Helsing who won't give a bloodsucker an even break. Stakes, garlic, mirrors and more - they're all part of vampire lore. And along with top supporting players Steven Weber, Peter MacNicol and Harvey Korman, they're all part of Brooks' tricks and shticks assuring that from dusk to dawn, the hilarity's on.

My Thoughts:
This one I watched next because my daughter, Brittany wanted to watch one with me... but at the same time she was in the mood for a comedy.... so she picked this one. I always liked this movie... always thought it was funny... but then of course that may be because I do like Leslie Nielson and Mel Brooks.  Yes.. this is a very stupid style in the same tradition as Airplane... but at times these movies are just fun to watch... to sit back and just enjoy without having to put to much thought into the movie. The DVD release is a decent one... nice picture... good sound... but only a couple of extras... a Commentary Track and the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
Salem's Lot

My Thoughts:
This one is actually an old TV Miniseries... clocking in at a long 3hrs. and 3mins... from way back in 1979. I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is almost 30 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him is.
   2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both  a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!
I am wondering if you ever saw the sequel... It's by Larry Cohen and has Michael Moriarty and Samuel Fuller in it. I saw it in the cinema during a film festival once. I should check if it's out on DVD somewhere. I remember the Vampire's living in a community, basically peaceful (or not) and having cows on a farm, whose blood they drank.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:16:28 AM »
Return to Salem's Lot! I remember getting it from the video store I used to manage... I looked for it on DVD a few months ago with no luck... would love to get it on DVD!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »

John Carpenter's Vampires
In the blood-chilling tradition of 'Halloween' and 'Village of the Damned' comes John Carpenter's unique vision of the ultimate killing machines, VAMPIRES.

"Forget everything you've ever heard about vampires," warns Jack Crow (James Woods), the leader of Team Crow, a relentless group of mercenary vampire slayers. When Master Vampire Valek (Thomas Ian Griffith) decimates Jack's entire team, Crow and the sole team survivor, Montoya (Daniel Baldwin), set out in pursuit. Breaking all the rules, Crow and Montoya take one of Valek's victims hostage.

The beautiful but unlucky prostitute (Sheryl Lee) is their sole psychic link to Valek, and through her senses they will track down the leader of the undead. As Valek nears the climax of his 600-year search for the Berziers Cross, Jack and the new Team Crow do everything humanly possible to prevent him from possessing the only thing that can grant him and all vampires the omnipotent power to walk in the daylight.

My Thoughts:
This is another of my favorite Vampire movies. I think James Woods did a great job as a vampire hunter. I have liked this one since the first time I saw it.  It is a decent standard release DVD... good picture and sound... but only extras are the Trailer and a Commentary.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:08:51 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 06:00:11 PM »
Another great vampire movie. I had so much fun when I watched that in the cinema (in Singapore, actually).

You mentioned the Photo Gallery. I remember that that was actually not on the disc, mentioned on the packaging but apparently pulled shortly before release? Or did you find it?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »
actually no... I wrote this up while still watching the movie and took it right from the back of the box... that figures!  :(
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »

Vampires: Los Muertos
'JOHN CARPENTER PRESENTS VAMPIRES: LOS MUERTOS' is the terrifying sequel to the horror hit, 'JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES'. Tough-as-nails vampire hunter Derek Bliss (Jon Bon Jovi, 'U-571') is on the hunt for "suckers" in the heart of Mexico when he receives a new assignment from a mysterious client. Thrown together with a group of slayers, including sexy Zooey, who may or may not be one of the undead, Derek and company are up against a growing number of fast-moving, bloodthirsty vampires and their elusive and powerful leader, who has plans of her own for the slayers.

My Thoughts
This is only the second time I watched this sequel. I thought it was done right good... I really did enjoy it. Though I do prefer the original movie over this one. The only thing that really bothered me was that they couldn't (or wouldn't) bring back any of the cast from the first part. Don't get me wrong.... I think Jon Bon Jovi did a great job in the roll... but I missed seeing James Woods in the movie. Oh well... minor thing really... movie still well worth the time to watch it... in my opinion!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
I've just got Vampires myself. I always heard that it was a bit rubbish, but for me, there's not much can go wrong in a post-modern vampire hunting movie.

Saying that, I hadn't gone out of my way to get it. I keep a look out for those triple sets to upgrade my single disc titles. I already had Wolf, but I'm going to trade it now because I found a triple set of Wolf, Vampires and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for £5.99.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »

Nick Knight
'Rick Springfield' stars as Nick Knight, a Los Angeles homicide detective with a solo nightshift, a ’59 Cadillac and one very chilling secret: He is a vampire hundreds of years old, tormented by his addictions and searching for a way to regain his mortality. But when a string of gruesome murders leaves a trail of blood-drained bodies, Nick’s investigation teams him with a pushy new partner ('John Kapelos') and a beautiful archaeologist while leading him to his immortal nemesis Lacroix ('Michael Nader' of DYNASTY) and an all-too-human killer with a bloodlust of his own. 'Laura Johnson' (FALCON CREST) co-stars in this atmospheric and action-packed movie that would emerge from a world of darkness to become the inspiration for the cult sci-fi series FOREVER KNIGHT.

My Thoughts:
As the above says... this TV Movie was what started the series Forever Knight. A show I really enjoy... and a show I have all 3 seasons of. The one thing I never much cared for about this movie is all the different people that played the characters... though I am sure that is because I saw the TV Series way before I ever seen the TV Movie... so it just didn't feel right to me. Even with that said... it is a pretty good movie... I did enjoy it. Unfortunately you don't get any extras what so ever on this disc... only menu options on this one is Play Movie and Scene Selection.
Pete